“Don't Miss Out!!!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is one resort where you definitely get your money's worth. The room we stayed in for the price was on par with rooms that cost easily as much in the United States at four start places. They were also cleaned regularly and everything in the room felt new.

The resort itself is at a beautiful location and the beach next to it is very clean adn clear, and it should be because it's basically the reason you are coming anyway.

Service overall I give a 9/10. They went above and beyond in a numer of ways even though our daughter has special needs, they were more than happy to accommodate us. Also, a surprising amount of people spoke English which was a big unexpected plus. We would definitely go again or recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Trish P
Write a ReviewReviews (3,898)

Reviewed July 19, 2012

American Review - The Cofresi Palm was a very nice hotel that had all of the modern amenities in a beautiful tropical location. There were however some issues and I will discuss them below. Since most of your time is spent out and about I will first talk about the property.

The property is expansive and actually comprised of many different hotel properties that are operated as a cohesive compound. Since there are so many properties tied together, there are many options. One issue with this is that you can spend a fair amount of time walking. As a guest you have access to many beautiful pools. Each pool seems to have a bar nearby so you don't have to travel too far for a drink. On the Confresi Palm property, the lobby and the dining locations are a significant distance from the rooms. There are shuttles that roam the property and they can help get you around, however be aware, they will shoehorn you into these minivans even if there are more people than seats as seat belt laws are ignored in the DR (this will help you to meet people). Another thing is that you have access to many reservation restaurants (included in all inclusive) for dinner so make sure you make reservations as these restaurants are amazing! Here is one piece of advice, you will need to bring a pair of pants and a collared shirt (men) decent clothes (women) to meet dress code for the restaurants; some of the restaurants are more forceful on the dress code than others. Another word of advice, El Pilon at the Cofresi (the breakfast and lunch location) is only ok, there is a much better restaurant available at the Tropical and the best way to get there is to go around on the beach.

We had issues at check in with our room assignment. The first room we were given was in a good location on the second floor of building 41. When the bell man opened the door and brought our luggage in, we found that the room was already taken and there was a lady on the patio. If I was that lady I would have been mad. What if we had walked in while they were less than decent? (keep your deadbolt locked). We went back up front and were given a second room. We had originally asked to not be placed in a first floor but the hotel was full and we had to take a first floor room for the first night. The room was very nice and the bathroom was beautiful. The only issue in the room was that the beds (two full size) were so soft that it was like a water bed and my wife and I thought it was great fun to run and jump onto them. It was not as fun to sleep on them as we spent all night feeling as though we were going to fall out of the bed if we moved wrong (we did not fall out of the bed). The next day we moved to to building 43 room 209. This room was awesome!!!! Beach and ocean view, no sound of children in the pool. It was great. One issue was this bed (queen) was that it was hard as a rock. I am not a princess and the pea type but come on, really? Anyway, the place was still awesome.

A few other observations. The resort has a private beach with a wall, but the last 30 feet is a public beach. There are vendors on the beach but they were not that pushy if you told them no. There were also stray beach dogs of various sizes. They were very friendly and nothing to worry about, just be aware that you may have a friend following you :). One last thing, they do sell timeshares here, but they are not pushy although we were tricked into going to a sales pitch. We were asked if we wanted a tour of the property. Since there are so many areas we thought it would be a great idea. Well that was code for go to the sales pitch. When we got there we told the salesman that we were not interested and that we thought we were going to get a tour. He was so nice. He said ok, and never tried to sell us. He did take us on a proper tour for over an hour and showed us everything including some bluff areas that we would have never had access to without him!! To make this even better, the employees were climbing coconut trees and taking down coconuts as we were passing by. The employees hacked open a coconut and gave it to us. It was perfect!

They have an aquatics center and all non motorized water sports are included however since the property is on the Atlantic side of the island the water tended to be too rough for kayaks the whole time we were there. We did use the aquatics center to make SCUBA reservations which were very reasonably priced.

A word of advice. Leave your flip flops and shoes by the door or you will get sand everywhere!

We had a great time here!

Room Tip: I thought that building 43 was amazing! There are no elevators so third floor means 2 flights of sta...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Awesome_Ethan
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I have been on many resorts and cruises that pretend to be “all-inclusive” but nothing compares with the service at Cofresi. Everything was provided well and advance and we never really even had to ask for anything, from room service to use of the resorts attractions or eateries or anything. They are also extremely happy to get even the smallest tip, it is a very poor country and what seems like nothing to us is the world to them.

I also have to say that the food is absolutely amazing here. The buffet was all inclusive and the quality of food was easily stuff that is over 50 bucks per plate in Canada or the US at a really nice restaurant. To me, that alone is reason enough to come here over some of the other resorts.

Outside of meal time there are also tons of snacks for free and room service is pretty good too.

I thought it was cool how they set up the entire complex with the pools in and around it, it made the hotel have a very modern feel and the diversity of all the pools to go to was nice also. With all the different areas and activities and things to do it felt like there was never a dull moment.

We went to meet friends in PV a week later, the stay there at Grand Miramar was much more crowded but still really nice.. I'll review that in a bit. Still recovering. :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cheapotravelking
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I am writing this review to express my utter disappointment and dissatisfaction with the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort and most of its staff. I have tried to contact someone at public relations regarding my stay via e-mail yet no one has contacted me back, The honeymoon that my wife Denisa and I were looking forward to in the Dominican Republic was a complete let down from the moment we walked in to the hotel. We were both looking forward to spending the week at the resort and paid a lot of money for what we were expecting to be a four and a half star hotel. Unfortunately, the reason I am taking the time to write this review is to tell you that I cannot say that the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort lived up to our expectations or its star rating. I will outline every single one of my reasons for why our honeymoon was ruined.

I have been to many places in the Caribbean and on many all-inclusive vacations and I must say I have never felt this concerned for my safety as I did in this hotel. My wife and I never felt safe from the moment we came to your resort on July 1st, 2012. A huge majority of the hotel clientele were locals from the country who were given these outrageous deals to be at the resort and were treated on a higher level than us even though we tipped and paid more for our vacation. While I have no problem with the fact that these hotel guests were from the country, I do have a problem with their behaviour and how rude they were to foreign tourists and that none of the staff members did anything about it. The two hotels in the Dominican Republic that I have been to (Be Live Hamaca and the Sol Melia Caribe) were only for tourists only, not for locals who were given cheap deals to enjoy the same amenities and services as those who paid more. It would have been appreciated if there was some sort of notice given on TripAdvisor that this hotel had a lot of local customers because I would have not come to this resort if I knew this was the case. We paid a lot of money to relax and get away from the nonsense of the everyday life, not to come to something worse.

Our first incident happened on our way back from the V.I.P Party on the very first night on July 1st, 2012. As we were getting off the shuttle at the Cofresi Palm a Dominican gentlemen who was in a larger group of five to six other men groped my wife by her buttocks. We then proceeded to go to the hotel room as quickly as possible as were very scared at the time. From there we tried to contact Front Desk to ask for a manager to notify them of what had happened. We were then told nothing could be done for us and that we had to wait until the next morning since all the managers were at the V.I.P party leaving no one to help us. After pleading with the lady at the Front Desk we finally were able to get a room that was closer to the main reception area instead of where we were before which was very far away from the reception and amenities and was extremely noisy from the other hotel guests who were in the same complex.

Once we were in our new room we had asked the people at the Front Desk to provide us with the water, pop, and beer that was supposed to be a part of the package that we paid for from Nolitours. We must have called and notified Guest Services, Housekeepking, and Front Desk several times to only get the same result, nothing. We were told each time that they would look after it for us and never did. We figured after the fourth or fifth time that it was useless to ask anymore as it was a waste of our time.

On Friday, July 6th 2012, my wife and I came back to our hotel room after lunch time only to discover that our room attendant took out my wife’s lingerie from her suitcase and decorated it on our bed much like how she would decorate the towels on previous days. This was extremely disturbing for us as it is a complete invasion of our privacy and is very unprofessional. Guests luggage and belongings should never be looked through and only made us question our safety at that hotel once again.

Further to my issues, when my wife and I were at the El Pilon Beach Snack Bar on Sunday July 8th 2012 around 3pm to 4pm the younger man who was serving us beverages began to speak to me in Spanish. I responded to him in saying that I did not speak Spanish and that I spoke English. He then rudely asked me why I did not speak Spanish and began speaking to me in Spanish while making a threatening gesture of one getting their throat cut. While I might not be very sure as to exactly what this man was saying in Spanish, anyone who is using this type of gesture is clearly trying to make me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. I understand that my wife and I do not speak Spanish, however, I do not think that actions like that are called for and the fact that this younger man was continuing to speak Spanish after he addressed me in English shows me that whatever he said was not respectful. Just because I do not speak Spanish does not mean I get treated differently than someone who does. At the end of the day, I am a paying customer nonetheless.

I have only mentioned some of the more serious issues due to the fact that I do not want to waste anymore time in making my point clear. While most of this trip was terrible, the only person in the entire hotel who made us feel safe and welcome was Willy B at the YinYang Spa. I really appreciated his warm personality, great attitude and his salesmanship. I never felt pressured from him and I always knew that he was someone who could be trusted. He is a true professional and a gentleman.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Larry G
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Guest Larry G:

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our Hotel did not meet your expectations. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance

We take great care to ensure that important matters such as this are properly managed; this in not a usual situation in our hotel, Lifestyle Resorts aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our customers, reason why Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Be assured that our concern about the perception of our guests’ on the level of our customer service is genuine; our staff is very friendly and trained to be helpful even under stress they usually perform very well. Please accept our apologies for any staff member who did not display those qualities.. The situations you describe were not reported to the Front Desk, Guest Services, or the Management team and therefore we never had the opportunity to help you in that moment.

Again, we apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience with you and will reach out to your directly via TripAdvisor.

Sincerely

Jenny Hernández
E-Commerce Concierge

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed @ the Crown Villa section but upon venturing into Cofresi Palm enjoyed my time there. The pools were clean and fun, had deep sections etc. The restaurant, El Pilon was good. But what i mostly enjoyed was the animation team.... Blackie and company. They were great, kept everyone entertained, they were funny, friendly full of energy and attentive. Kept me going back to that part of the resort for more fun!!! Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Let me first start by saying that check in was not the smoothest experience, but it doesnt get better after that! We are with a group of 48 people, part of a Travel group that travels together frequently to various destinations. We have been to other comprable resort brands to include Bahia Principe and Grand Palladium Resorts to nmae a few, of which we have received MUCh better overall service and ammenities for our money.

Check In was long, hot and disorganized...some of us waited in the hot lobby for hours to get a room. When we checked into our rooms, they were less than adequate, some with leaky cealings, moldy-sewagy smell, and even one had a bug-infested bed. most of us were moved several times to a room that had some sort of issue. The staff was rude and unfriendly at best, only a few stood out that attempted to seem like they wanted to help, but most of the front desk staff acted if they could care less about our issues.

Dinner reservations are made for you, and challenging to get switched. if you are stuck with restaurant that you dont care for, good luck getting it changed...unless you pay extra $$ to be a timeshare VIP MEMBER..otherwise expect to be treated a little differently, not warm at all..
We learned there was a group that booked through Cheap Carribean for $11 per night for the same resort. We payed 4xs over this price, how do you justify putting us in the same type of accommodations for our stay! Our group will be here until Tuesday July 17th, hopefully things will improve. Either way, there WILL be 47 additional reviews of everyones experience upon our return here on Trip Advisor as well as FaceBook, Travel Post, Orbitz, Expedia and other online publications. As they would say at Lifestyle resorts..We will only tell it to Our Best friends!!.

Room Tip: unless you are VIP and buy into the timeshare, beware...Do NOT book SUPERIOR ROOMS....
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Abdo J

Dear Guest Abdo J :

We are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations since we are in the business to bring an enjoyable and unforgettable experience to all of our guests. We sincerely regret any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay and for not having had the opportunity to amend any misperception you could have had while were with us.

We appreciate the observations concerning the service and facilities, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with them, despite of all our team efforts, which in general our guests perceive to have a friendly, cheerful and sympathetic nature, especially the front desk staff who are properly trained and even under stress they usually perform very well,

Upon arrival, at the check in time depending on guest’s stay we provide the reservations ticket, and every morning our guests can go to guest services desk in order to change the time or get more reservations, nevertheless please understand that the capacity of our restaurants is limited and it is not always possible to accommodate all our guests at the time or day they would like.

For us, there would be no biggest reward than to have the opportunity to show our commitment to customer service. We hope that despite your disappointment, you will consider choosing us again when planning future travel to The Dominican Republic& Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and, again, please accept my apologies on behalf of the entire staff at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort.

Sincerely

Jenny Hernandez
E-Commerce Concierge

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This resort is absolutely beautiful! Amazing food, amazing entertainment and amazing atmosphere! I went the beginning of June with a couple friends of mine and we all fell in love with this resort. The weather was beautiful and the staff was so friendly. We met other vacationers there and made new friends with some of the employees.

I hope this resort stays in business as it was not very busy when we went. At no point though did we feel it was boring or uncomfortable. The staff were so friendly and would do anything to make sure you were having a great time. The best was the VIP party the held for all the people staying at the resorts. One word describes it...WOW! Such a great time!

I did not want to leave and I cannot wait to go back there!

Room Tip: I was on the second floor of one of the little villa-style buildings. It was right in the middle bet...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends