“BEAUTIFUL”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I went for his birthday and May 2012. And I was a little scared because of the comments. But this hotel was amazing. The staff was great very friendly and attentive. The hotel is very clean. The food was ok... but you can deal with it. The drinks were very good. The best part is that you get to go back and forth from the Cofresi and the Lifestyle hotel eat, drink, and play. There are several pools to choose from. Make sure you book some excursions its well worth it( zipline,horseback, waterfall and the boogie dirt bikes) and the beach water activities are a blast. Also ocean world is beautiful and the Bravissimo show is excellent. The resort is huge so if you do not like walking, they have shuttles to take you around between the two hotels. But the fastest way to get back and forth from the two is to walk the beach it’s a 2 minute walk. Its very relaxing. Overall I had an amazing time at this resort. Highly recommend. BRING BUG SPRAY.

Room Tip: junior suite with jacuzzi
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MAGENTANY
Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We traveled to the Dominican, my husband and I and 2 other couples in March. Cofresi had recently had its "Grand Re-Opening" and we had read many, many bad reviews. Despite all we read, we had a WONDERFUL time! The resort was very nice, one room smelled a tad bit musty, but nothing that bothered us. I personally thought the food was terrific, but I like all different sorts of things. The drinks were good, we spend much of our time at the Beach Bar. They made great drinks and we enjoyed laying in the sun in the cabannas. Us ladies had messages and they were FABULOUS! We'll worth the $25 we paid!! We had yellow bracelets, no one turned us away and never felt like we weren't "welcome" anywhere. Our rooms were in the 30's and they were all great. We missed the Welcome Party because it was pouring, but I once the rain was done they continued on and we heard from several that it was fabulous! We were bummed we didn't go back. So all in all it was a GREAT vacation and I would go back in a heart beat!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JGoodblood
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed there with a friend for 5 days, and it was wonderful. They put us in a junior suite in Cofresi Palm section, and it was fantastic: spacious, nicely appointed room with a large hot tub, marble bathroom, flat plasma, and a big terrace! Plenty of hot water, too. When I saw the room I couldn't believe it considering what we paid through CC. I've stayed at 4 and 5-star hotels in rooms not half as nice!

The food. The buffet was OK. Not great, but not nearly as terrible as some reviewers would have you to believe. I don't get it when people begin with "I'm not a picky eater but..." You know who is not a picky eater? Me! And because I am not a picky eater I always managed to find something I liked. Also, no health issues, although after reading some reviews I had gotten scared enough to take cypro with my meals (when I remembered) but my friend didn't, and he was still OK. And alas, a few times I started brushing my teeth with the tap water and still got away with it:)

To be perfectly honest, though, I met a person at the resort who said her friend had gotten sick.
So I guess, it does happen, but we don't know why.

We spent most a lot of time in the Cofresi section. It has great pools, very nice beach beds, excellent pools, and the drinks they make out of local liqueur are not half bad. As everyone knows, VIP beach has top shelf liqueurs, covered beds and cold Jacuzzies. With COLD being a good thing, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since we are very disorganized people, we only once managed to wake up early enough to book our beds. For the same reason we failed to keep our restaurant reservations - we were otherwise occupied:)

The Thursday party and show at the Ocean World were very nice. Yes there is finger food served there, so you won't be hungry. The casino is old and small, but they give you a $5 or $10 coupon, I don't remember. The Sunday party was huge and very interesting, but the food quality and presentation did not impress me. Again, perhaps because we screwed up and got there late:) Some songs they play use explicit lyrics, so if you go with small kids make sure they can handle it. I know if I went there with my 8-yr old I'd have some 'xplainin to do. LOL.

Alright now: good and bad.

GOOD.

1. The grounds are gorgeous and well-maintained. The resort is huge which means you will always have something to do.
2. My room was fantastic, too, but YMMV.
3. Every employee we encountered was nice and friendly.
4. VIP beach and drinks are awesome.
5. Pools at Cofresi were highlight of our trip. There are all kinds of pools: quiet ones, the ones with activities, the ones with waterfalls. Tip: there is a waterfall behind a small bridge at the pool next to the buffet. Position yourself wisely and get the best and free neck and shoulder massage in your life:)
6. Presidente and local mixed drinks are good, but Hannibal at the VIP makes Brazilian drinks called Caipirinhas. He makes them better than they make them in Rio! Try and you will get pleasantly smashed:)

BAD

1. Buffet food is OK but not great. One thing they could do is put some plastic on their breads and deserts. Come on, people, I know you're reading these reviews: the flies are all over the place--how hard would it be? 'Nuff said.
2. I did feel some sewer smell a couple times. Was not overwhelming, but still.
3. White-shirt folks with hungry eyes will try to accost you, so you deal with them as an adult - you smile, say you're not interested and continue on your merry way and don't look back, because they will give you a nasty glance as if you are their personal enemy. While I understand this resort's business model, I wish they trained their people to NOT take it so personally.
4. Got bitten by sand fleas (I think). Not a big deal.
5. Cofresi feels a bit isolated. t's about 30 minute ride to Puerto Plata and and hour to Sosua. Doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing.
6. Wi-Fi at the VIP beach was hit and miss. Sushi rolls sucked.

A few tips:

1. Try to stay in Cofresi Palm. Beautiful pools, newer (it seems) buildings, modern rooms. I was staying in building 41 and it was great.

2. VIP beach setup is as nice as everyone says it is, but because everyone is there, it's a circus. Go there for top shelf drinks but don't obsess over it. Beds without a cover were easy to find at any time of the day. Cofresi beach also has covered beds and it's not at all crowded.

4. There is a beautiful and quiet pool in Cofresi to lie down and read a book, and yes it does have a bar, too. When you're bored of quiet, the 2 pools with all the activities are just 1 minute walk away.

Final tip: do not sweat little things. Go there and have fun!

Room Tip: Try Cofresi, junior suites, buildings 41-43
13  Thank mnscoutNyc
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Guest MnscoutNyc:

Thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach Resort& Spa for your five night stay with your friends.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to review your experience in such a detailed way. We are sure that your highlights on our beach, your tips on room categories and locations, the restaurants and bars will be very well accepted by other reviewers.

The best service is one guiding principle in Cofresi Palm Beach Resort& Spa, the key of our success and we work hard to remain so.

We thank you for your compliments and for appreciating our efforts to transform your stay as an unforgettable one.

Kind Regards

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed May 4-11 with another couple. Airport was fine. Paid our $10.00 a person fee and was quickly out of there. We did not pre-book our airport transportation. We got a cab (it was a van) at the airport. It was $45 for all 4 of us and our luggage. We didn't have to wait on others for the vehicle to fill. Had the van to ourselves! We originally booked Lifestyles Tropical through Cheap Caribbean. Went to check in at Lifestyles and they sent us over to Cofresi. Check in was fine. We didn't have any issues. Lifestyles looked older than Cofresi. Cofresi is very modern and had more pools and bars.
ROOMS - We ended up getting 2 rooms by each other at Cofresi in building 203. The location of this building was nice. It was in the middle of the resort. It was halfway to the beach one way and halfway to the buffet the other way. Our room was great! We asked for 1 king and got 2 double beds which was fine. The beds were comfortable. It was musty smelling at first but that is normal in this area. The humidity is always high. We always had plenty of towels and bottled water. Our maid was really nice and did a good job! (Think her name was Zoila?) Our t.v. kind of came and went but this didn't bother us. We weren't on vacation to watch t.v. There was a nice big balcony overlooking the spa which was really nice.
POOLS & BEACH - There are tons of pools at this resort. The V.I.P. beach is very nice with the beds. We never got up and waited in line at 7:00 like others did just to try and get a bed. We went there at several different times of the day and always found 2 beds next to each other for us. It is very frustrating to see people set a book or sunscreen on a bed and not use it the whole day! The regular beach at the resort was nice too. They have loungers and beds there also. You are right by the water on this beach. The pools and hot tubs don't have warm water. It is a little cooler than normal but that was fine with us. It is so hot and humid out it was nice and refreshing to get in the pool or hot tub.
FOOD & DRINKS - We had no issues with the food. We even brought medicine in case someone got sick. No problems! The buffet (Pearl) at breakfast was awesome! Fresh fruit, fresh juice, omelets, eggs the way you want, french toast, bacon, potatoes. We even ate here for lunch a couple days. Had steak one day that was really good. Had grilled chicken another day and that was good too. We ate at both buffets for supper. I do agree with some other reviews that the food isn't always hot. You can ask for it to be warmed up though. We were always able to find something to eat that we liked. They had several areas where people were grilling fresh food. We were not impressed with the buffet on the Tropical side. It is smaller and more open to the air so you do have birds flying in. It didn't seem like there was much of a variety either. The food on the V.I.P. beach is good. We had the chips and salsa and the chicken wings. Both were good. We also tried the sushi. I have to say, the best kept secret for lunch is Bellini. It's the italian restaurant. It is open for lunch but was never really busy. I don't think a lot of people know about it. It is over on the Tropical side. They will make you fresh pasta and pizza. They also have a salad bar. We ate here for lunch 3 days cause it was so good! We even ordered pizza to go on the day we were leaving to eat on the way to the airport. We also ate at the Asian (very good), Mexican (this was just ok), Brazilian (very good), and Blue Lagoon seafood/steak (very good). I didn't see the problems with the food like some of the reviews were suggesting. Everything we had was good. Never got sick. Ate all sorts of things even salads. The drinks are plentiful. They have a lot of variety. Yes the name brand alcohol is only at the V.I.P. beach but the drinks other places are very good also. They put plenty of alcohol in them. That being said, I am a rum drinker and prefer Captain Morgan over Brugal. I simply brought a big bottle with me from home. They serve alcohol called "Classic" brand. I have never heard of it before but it was all really good. They aren't going to have exactly the same alcohol we have in the states. The Brugal rum here is standard since there is a factory close. If you are the type of person who knows what alcohol you like and question trying something new just bring a bottle from home.
NIGHT LIFE - They had several shows to go to and even did karaoke by the lobby. The 2 shows we watched we liked. The karaoke was fun. Eveyone kind of hung around the Cheers bar until it closed at midnight and then went to the disco ICE. The disco was really good. They played a variety of music. We didn't have to pay for drinks here. They always kept our glasses full. We didn't go to the disco on the Tropical side. We heard you had to pay for your drinks over there. The Blue Lagoon over on the Tropical side is open until 5:00 in the morning. They have snacks and drinks available for after the disco closes.
V.I.P. PARTY - This was awesome! Everyone definitely needs to go. They have tons of food! Some of the people with us got the lobster and they said it wasn't good. It was mushy. That was the only complaint with food that I heard. They do a dancing show, have awesome fireworks and then everyone can get up on the stage and dance and listen to music. They also have the name brand liquor at this party.
OVERVIEW - We got an incredible deal on this resort and feel for the price we paid it was awesome! The food was good. Just use common sense. Yes the white polo shirts are annoying but they are only doing their job. We never went on the tour. We simply told them "We did the tour yesterday" and they left us alone. They might ask you every day and they might not. All of the help here was great! They were all very nice and helpful. The information when you check in could be better. We had to ask for a map of the resort so we could find our way around. We also had to ask about the safe in the room. They charge you $3.00 a day to use it. Some resorts do and some don't. Not a big deal to us. More information about what is going on around the resort would be nice. They do have flyers up around the lobby but would be nice to have it delivered to your room daily. It would also be nice to have information about which restaurants are open when and at what times. We just asked around and figured this all out so it was not a problem. The water in the room will not be hot when you first turn it on. We always let it run for a couple minutes to let it get warm. Not a big deal though. We did not pre-book our transportation. On the way to the hotel we were in a mini van and had it to ourselves. On the way back to the airport we had a small bus all to ourselves. It was $45.00 each way for all 4 of us and we got to leave the resort when we wanted and not have to wait in the airport for a long time. Yes there is a sewage smell at times. At times it is stronger than others. We noticed it more at ICE. This really isn't uncommon in this part of the world. We went with an open mind to this resort and were pleasantly surprised. We met a lot of nice people and made several new friends. I am glad we went and didn't change to a different resort. Our maid Zoila, Raquel at the V.I.P. beach and Richard at the buffet definitely helped make our trip. These people were great!

5  Thank gb_pkrz
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Dear Guest gb_pkrz:

We are very grateful you have taken the time to express your opinion about your stay with us in such a detailed way. We are sure that your highlights on our beach, your tips on room categories and locations, the restaurants and bars will be very well accepted by other reviewers. Your nice words about the hotel certainly will motivate us to keep doing our hard work and always improve our service.

We would also like to thank you for categorizing us as a "Excellent Stay".

We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please contact us before your arrival.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had a great time May 9-14. The 400 block jr. suite I requested was great. The excursions and parties were super fun. Massage and spa are wonderful. The employees were very nice and I always felt safe. I had no problems with service, h20, stairs, etc. The food was mostly good and I stuck to breads, omelets, chicken, rice, etc as some things (cheese) tasted a little off to me. VIP beach and all pools are nice. Overall, for the price I paid, this vacation was the best value of any vacation I have been on and the Dom Rep is a beautiful country!

3  Thank cslingerland

Dear Guest cslingerland:

Thank you for staying at Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa recently.

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. We are delighted to read that your experience was so nice and memorable. We thank you for your compliments and for appreciating the efforts of our staff to transform this stay for you as an unforgettable one.

Looking forward to welcome you in our hotel in the near future

Kind regards

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Overall relaxing experience. A few concerns...The hotel was not very helpful in informing us about the details of the resort and what was included in our all inclusive deal. Only after we met with the Expedia representative the next morning were our questions answered. Still, staff was not very helpful and it felt too often that they were annoyed with our questions or complaints (our bathroom ceiling was leaking the first night and the tv didn't work...we had to demand a new room). Random staff was around the beach area or bars at night to encourage involvement in activities and it was quite bothersome to be approached to be told what we should be doing on our vacation--it would work much better if they just laid low and we could find them if we were interested. At one point we took part in "bowling" that was really just rolling a volleyball into 4 water bottles. Reservations for restaurants was encouraged, and it was nice to arrive and have 3 reservations already made. Still, the themed restaurants (e.g. Mexican, Asian, Indian, etc) seemed to really be the same as the buffet food with different sauce and arranged on a menu Ina different way. We were not pleased with the food or alcohol- enough to make me doubt wanting to do an all inclusive deal again. Some night activities were decent, although with the exception of a guitar act they were very amateur and sometimes painful to watch or listen to.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Random215

Dear Guest Ramdom215:

We are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations since we are in the business to bring an enjoyable, unforgettable experience to all of our guests.

We normally accomplish this. We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulty you may have experienced during your stay. We appreciate the observations concerning the service and the staff, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services despite of all our team efforts, whom in general our guests perceive to have a friendly, cheerful and sympathetic nature.

The situation you describe is unusual at the hotel as at check-in we do give written information to our guests about restaurants, safety deposit boxes, phone usage, ID bracelets, medical assistance, beach towel service just to mention a few.

Our Guest Service is also available from 8:00am until 6:00pm to help guests with any questions or information they might require. We have also two large boards with daily activities one posted in the lobby. In addition of that, we do count on the reps on site to give guests more detailed information about the services within the hotel as part of the briefing they held for the arriving guests.

We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires. Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us. We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.

For us, there would be no biggest reward than to have the opportunity to show our commitment to customer service. We hope that despite your disappointment, you will consider choosing us again when planning future travel to The Dominican Republic& Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 10, 2012

First, I want to thank all the Trip Advisor reviewers for their input. Even the scary reviews were helpful. My husband and I were there April 27 - May 3rd. Thankfully, we did not have all the rain that other guest had the week before. As someone else said we went with very low expectations but we were just glad to be away from home for a some relaxation. We booked through CheapCarbbean and had no problems at all with our transfers to and from the hotel. Once we arrived at the hotel because they were not busy we checked in very easily and was in our room by 12:00 noon. Front desk was very helpful. Here are some tips that others have shared that I think made my trip much better. #1. Try and get a room in the 300-400 block. I totally agree, those were the best rooms and locations. #2. Yes, there are a lot of stairs so be prepared. #3. Bring your own water bottles/recycle cups to give to the bartendar to fill-up with your favorite drinks. MUCH BETTER than drinking out of small plastic cups. We saw plenty of bottled water and the ice is fine for drings #4. Get to the VIP beach gate no later than 7:00 a.m. to secure your bed, but the beds by the main hotel are not bad and it's not necessary for you to get there so early. #5. Bring snacks. There is no snack food (nuts, chips, salasa, crackers, etc.). #6. Bring a portable DVD player and movies to watch movies in the room IN-CASE of RAIN. Nothing to do if it rains. #7. Bring wash cloths. I've always had to do this for other resorts in DR not just Cofresi. #8. Don't expect premium food. #9. THe walls are very thin. Nothing you can do about it just be aware of it :-). The Cofresi buffet was fine for us as well as the Brizilian Resturant. We did not go there for the food so we managed. No one got sick but we brought antibiotics, imodium and all the other drugs just in case. Just be prepared! Be aware that on Saturdays and Sundays expect a lot of the local Dominicans's to come to the resort. A lot of people just happened to come the weekend we were there due to the holiday but it was too, too crowded. I guess that's how they make their money when the hotel is not booked but we just were not prepare. IF that occurs go to the VIP area which is the pool and sunbed area. A little annoying ot say the least. All-in-all it was a good value for the money!

Room Tip: 300 and 400 block were really nice!
5  Thank dbunch

Dear Tripadvisor member dbunch:

First of all we’ll like to thank you for choose our property for your vacation; we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your opinion about your stay with us.

Your comments help us to always improve our service. We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at the Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa.

Best regards