“5-star quality, 3-star price”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Turner Valley, AB
“5-star quality, 3-star price”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Cofresi values their guests. This may seem like a basic tenant of resorts, but in this day and age, I really wonder. I swear Cofresi hires *the* nicest people, the employees here are genuinely friendly and are extremely helpful and smiling all of the time. Also, most of them are fluent in English, which let me tell you as a world traveler, is a huge plus.
The rooms are really spacious and comfortable and from what I’ve seen and heard there really are no “bad” rooms, everything comes with a nice view. The food here is also pretty good, nice flavor and also really good presentation by the chef.
You can definitely tell that the people here take pride in their work. Cofresi is one of the last good resorts that really values attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tennika I
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Guest Tennika I:

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. We are delighted to read that your experience was so nice and memorable. We thank you for your compliments and for appreciating the efforts of our staff to transform this stay for you as an unforgettable one.

We aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests through the friendliness of our staff members and a unique gastronomy of our nine specialty restaurants, nightly themed buffet and 24 hours all inclusive Service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.

Sincerely

E-Commerce Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I am always a little sceptical about traveling to countries that are poverty stricken or have a “third world” reputation, but I must say that Cofresi breaks the mold. We first realized we were in for a treat when we got to the check-in and the wait was relatively quick (maybe 15 minutes at most). The staff apologized profusely and even offered us coupons for dinner. We were treated like royalty during our stay. We arrived to the room earlier than expected, which was spotlessly clean and ready for us without issue. The rooms are tastefully decorated with very spacious bathrooms. The grounds around the hotel were really nice and added to the beauty of the resort itself. My friends and I spent most of out days on the beach, or out exploring the town. We suggest doing both. The activities at the resort were great and definitely worth checking out, but won’t take up your entire stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Angela C
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest Angela C:

Thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort for your recent stay.

Your compliment towards our staff and our facilities really shows the readers the true results of our efforts to provide an unforgettable experience.

We hope to have the opportunity to pamper you and your family at our property in the near future and that we exceed your expectations again.

Kind regards

Hickory, NC
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Let's start with the positives: The staff are fantastic...from the animation team aka Blackie, Barbie, Sexy Banana, Tony Montana, and Eddy Murphy who provided entertainment ie volleyball and taught me how to dance the Bachata to the Bartenders like Maria Matais who makes the best margaritas outside Mexico to the grounds crew like Ramon Marte who keep the beach clean and orderly even during the frequent rainstorms. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The room was bright, clean, and spacious. Leonada did a great job cleaning the room and was helpful with any request. The beach was nice, plenty of chairs, cabanas, and bars. The Sunday Beach Blast was awesome. Good food, good drinks, good entertainment. Fun had by all. Now the negatives: If someone talks to you about a "tour" run the other way. It is a time share pitch or the new catch phrase "Vacation Club". Next is the food. It is edible but not great which is really sad because the wait staff are friendly and attentive. The only enjoyable meals end up being the a la carte nights at the specialty restaurants. And last the bed was uncomfortable. You could feel the springs poking you throughout the night. Overall I would go back.

Room Tip: Building 42 was nice and a two minute walk to the beach. Rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David V
Dear Guest David V,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

In the name of our team, we want to express how glad we are to know that you had a memorable holiday thanks to the friendliness of our staff members; your nice words about the service certainly will motivate us to keep doing our hard work. The best service is one guiding principle in Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, the key of our success and we work hard to remain so.

We are already willing to welcome you back, please contact us before your next visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Diamond in the rough!

It seems like there really aren’t that many resorts that are just “doing it right” anymore, but man am I ever glad we stumbled upon Cofresi. They take service very seriously here and make sure that pretty much every need you have is fulfilled. Maid are constantly refilling the mini-fridges for you with beer and water (the local Dominican beer is excellent, don’t be shy to try it) and the service at the restaurants is pretty admirable even when the place is pretty packed. Make sure you make reservations ahead of time though because the restaurants are known to get really popular.
The weather was amazing when we went; never rained a drop, but they somehow still keep the grounds and shrubbery extremely lush and healthy. Hats off to their maintenance people. I would recommend Cofresi to anyone.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sandy f
Dear Guest Sandy f:

As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us. I’m delighted to read that your expectations were met.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I just stayed here for a two weeks with a big group of friends and family. Rooms here are absolutely HUGE, really cool motifs with bright colors. Also, the rooms are kept very clean and are completely serviced every day. The maid staff and front desk staff are extremely friendly and able to help with any problem, or concern that you may have. Remember that a little bit of tipping goes a very long way and it’s not customary in this country so even just a little change is VERY appreciated by the staff.
We spent a lot of time by the beach, pool and numerous bars just taking in the beautiful landscape. If you are travelling near this part of the world you should definitely not miss this gem of a resort.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sylas H
Dear Guest Sylas H,

In the name of our team, we want to thank you for choosing our hotel facilities and premises for your holiday. We also thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience.

In Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests through the friendliness of our staff members, we are glad that we could accomplish our goal during your visit.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Bethesda
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Six of us girls just got back from 4 days at the Confresi Palm and we had a blast! We got a great deal on cheapcarribean.com. I was a little worried about the hotel, but once we arrived it was amazing! The trip was fun because we made it fun everyday. The rooms looked exactly like the pictures (ask for building 40) and are very very nice and very clean. The Staff and the Service overall were not very accommodating, so we fixed that by finding one hotel representative at the restaurants and the pools we could go to all the time. If you go to this resort, ask for Willy who reserves Spa appointments. He works down by the pool next to building 40 and he is the best worker the resort has! The other guests staying at the resort were really fun and open to meeting new people.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 40
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank LindseyWo
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed April 25, 2012

First, loved my vacation friends! Love to Ana, Titianna, Brittany, Pat, Corey, Melissa, Jaylyn, Terrel.. The list could keep going.

I am not going to convince you that the complaints are total lies. The food was not gourmet but I always found something to eat and was happy - silver lining was that I had no desire to overeat. With the exception of the DR restaurant in which soup was out of this world great (I am a foodie when I go to Vegas and travel) and the fish was very good. So advice is get the RSVPs to restaurants ASAP by going the see the RSVP desk in the lobby and check in the AM to get cancels for other nights - that easy. Oh, and some of my issue was that things were not cooked the way I cook them. If you don't like well cooked omelets, then ask for over-easy eggs or tell them you like hard pasta so it comes out right. If you couldn't make it at the Perl, take the 5 min transport to the Casablanca.

Staff was great, I could reel off the names of the folks because I chatted them up and was having fun. My group and my extended new vacation friends never had bad service but we saw some folks that didn't like the wait when thing got busy - like the show getting out or right before dinner at the Perl opened. What the heck, smiles to Samuel, Jaceyln, Marie (my fav), and Todd (not his correct name, but I couldn't seem to get it down). Activity directors Juan and Barbie were my favs, engage them and they will check in with you and make sure you are having a good time, somehow day and night - they were there what seemed like all the time.

Sales staff - yep they really are there. We didn't have a problem, we could have ducked the tour but I drove it head on. We liked Carlos (the guy who gets you to the pitch and acts like a semi-concierge) and had fun with him all week. They promised 25 mins and I told them I was going to jump out of the golf cart and run home if they went 1 minute over. True that I went to 35 min, because Maria (different than the Cheers top bartender) let me drive the cart and we would be just a little over time. We stopped for drinks and the villas are really banging. Maria helped us give a new nickname for one of our friends - El Payaso! Yes, I made it a fun time and it seemed over before it started. After that, Carlos would give us rides to the top and we had fun with him, Super Mario, and Johnny-b-Good even though he isn't supposed to look like he is having fun.

Sewage. Yea, they told me they are working on it, but I found it to be in only one place - night time, up and over from the ICE disco. No one likes that, but it did not affect eating, beach, pool, lounging, drinking, hanging with friends, going on excursions, or any of the crazy things we did.

Room was great - ask for 40's and slip them a five. I always do the $20 trick in Vegas which pays out big when it hits, but done and done, and was happy with the room. Since this doesn't have my name on it, I am a secret napper - I like to power-nap for 45 mins and once I worked this out with my maid for no disruptions, no issues with the room at all. Oh, I didn't get my towel card, but it really wasn't hard to ask the front desk next time I was up there.

All of the rest of the stuff checks out.. Better snacks at the VIP beach and top shelf liquor. 'Classico' was alright, but make time to get the good stuff. It is an easy walk if you walk on the beach. Slight, firm nod your head 'no' when beach folks come to you, save them the trouble of getting them into their spiel and you frustrated. Communication gives them ammo, but I thought most folks knew that already. Welcome party was a blast but if you didn't make friends I could see folks thinking it was ok. We went to Ocean world night on Thursday and was fun, but I wouldn't trust any real gambling to their casino cause, you know, it's not Vegas! (and I am not sure how it is regulated). Also, back to the booze - if you know you are not going be okay with non-top shelf and you didn't buy top shelf package, bring a bottle from home, buy one at the airport, or make friends with someone on the staff to bring you a bottle on their next shift. Yea, it's a few bucks, but I don't want to be hearing complaints about that whilst I sit at the bar and relieve my job related stress on vacation.

Room Tip: 40, 41, 42 are great but you will have more steps to climb - bonus, the guard at the back gate betwe...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends