“Cofresi palm beach resort and spa”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Im in the lobby checking out ...all I can say is....what a great vacation .....don't believe the bad comment ...see for yourself.....very nice and helpful staff.......I did get sick on Sunday but I drank to much rum lol.....but the food was good ...the smell was not that bad...I only smelled it from time to time never at my room...I stayed in 42301 not much of a beach view but I think building 40&43 has the best beach and pool view....but all and all....I'm coming back in September ...love this place......o....and from what I here ...the time share is pretty good.....I met someone that bought in an I'm using hers when I com back in September ......

Room Tip: Any 40block rooms are good and clean
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank mark c
There are newer reviews for Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Reviewed April 22, 2012

6 nights in April. sewage odor stronger in some places than others. NO mattress--just a mattress pad over the box springs. stay away from Cofresi. read US Government website about hazards in Dominican Republic before making a reservation!

8  Thank RoamCat
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Guest:

I apologize for the annoyance that this may have caused to you, the hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and trust this information clarifies the issues you have raised, our rooms, specially the beds and the mattress, are in very good conditions, and we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place, we do have a good reputation on US websites.

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort thanks you for you comments as they will be valuable to us. Again, we apologize for your experience.

Sincerely

Reviewed April 22, 2012

We have stayed in the Lifestyle Villas many times and always had a great time. This time we stayed at Confresi Palms and the service was worthless. Not once did they manage to give us what we wanted or needed and they always made us feel like we were trying to get one over on them or something. They seemed to be overwhelmed and unable to handle their job.

When I pay for a certain level of service I should receive it no matter how bad your day is. I never want you to tell me, that my 2 year old can eat dinner 2 hours late and just sleep on the table. Or that my friend who has breathing issues and cannot walk far, must walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to her room because you cannot be bothered to find her a ground floor room. Most of all never assume you know what I want even when I tell you otherwise.

Needless to say I will never return to Confresi Palms again.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank jacpierre
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Mr. JacPierre,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why the Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa did not meet your expectations, be assured that our concern about the perception of our guests’ on the level of our customer service is genuine; our staff is very friendly and trained to be helpful even under stress they usually perform very well. Please accept our apologies for any staff member who did not display those qualities.

The Cofresi Palm is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from Lifestyle Resorts and Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa.

Kindest Regards

Our vacation at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Villas, Suites & Spa

4/14/2012 -4/21/2012

Landed at Puerto Plata airport and being welcomed by a sala band we paid our entrance fee ($10.00 US) into the Dominican Republic. We meet our driver that was arranged by the resort (complimentary one way travel included for Interval owners).

Our driver was nice and loaded my family and another couple into a van and set off for the resort. On the ride our drive he told us his name and about his tours and that his tours where cheaper than the resorts and to call him directly to book them instead of through the resort. He also stopped off and purchased a Presidente beer and poured each of the adults a small cup of beer and had the remainder for himself and we continued off to the resort. On the ride we saw many poor people riding on shared motorbikes and the roads were pretty much a free for all for everyone.

Upon passing the security gate to the resort we are welcomed by two young ladies and a man dressed in native carnival like costumes but came across as more comical than representing their heritage.

Next we are seated by our guest services guide – he called himself Johnny Be Good (White Polo shirted staff are your personal concierge but are really sales people) and we are told we will be checked in shortly. Then people came around serving a welcome fruit juice, beer, and/or shot of a local liqueur called Mana-juna made with rum.

Now at check in you are seated at a table with someone who is English challenged and if you don't speak Spanish this will lead to a lot of important points getting lost in the check in process. Here are some I later learned mattered a lot

• Your meal plan is $40.00 per person per day so for my family of three it was $840.00 (about 33000 DR pesos). Your first evening’s meal can only be at one of the buffet offered at the resort. We went to La Pearl – it sucks

• Your first three night’s dinner reservations are made for you without you input. They gave us – The Dominican restaurant – El Pilon (fair), the Indian restaurant - Moomtaz, the Brazilian Churrascaria - Rodizio . Changing reservations and making new ones is a nightmare of a process so your freedom to use the restaurants is very limited. I wasted a total of 8 hours negotiating the 5 dinners we had.

• Sunday night you have to eat at the Welcome Party – there is no other option all restaurants are closed. The party is a buffet outside so if it rains which it did for part you are in the rain bring and umbrella.

• All rooms in the section we stayed in are like hotel rooms (Cofersi 40,41,42, & 43) with either one king bed or two beds, a bath area, a water closet with a toilet and showers stall, two skinks and a Jacuzzi. THERE IS NO BATHROOM DOOR.

• There is one desk with 3 small drawers and a closet with 3 small drawers – there is no other storage than the hangers in the closet for clothes so you will live out of your bags.

• There is only a mini fridge that contains two bottles of water, two beers, and one Pepsi and one Sprite. The maid will replace water and the resort comes once or twice in a 7 day stay to replace soda or beer.

Now back to the check-in, once we had paid for our meal plan and received our Interval International wrist bands, we are told about a party on Sunday night and are handed three restaurant reservations for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. We didn't know that our meals involved the resort prearranging them for us. Johnny says not to worry he will take care of this for us.

After the check process is complete. We boarded a shuttle and head down a hill thought a security gate. Once at our room we discovered that there was already someone in that room so they sent us back up to checking for another room and then back down to our new room.

Upon entering the room and instead of finding a one bedroom with a pull-out couch matching the pictures of the Royal Suite which are on the Interval International site, we found a single room with two beds similar to a hotel room. We called the desk and found out that these are the only type of rooms we can have. (Remember I traded for the Royal Suites and they gave me Cofersi Palms instead – this is the bait and switch)

Next we look for the safe and find out it needs a key we also see that this is a wireless router and TV in the room. I walked back to the front desk (not a short walk) and ask about the room, our clogged bathroom sinks, the Internet, the TV, and the safe. Here are the answers to these questions

1) The room - there is nothing that can be done to have a separate sleeping area for my son. We are assigned to Cofersi Palms
2) The clogged sinks - they will send someone to the room. (more later on this)
3) The TV is the only one with cable TV and most channels in Spanish
4) The safe you must rent a lock a week cost me $18.00 and they didn't have change for the twenty at the desk so they kept the two bucks promising to return it later which they never did.
5) The Internet in your room is $15.00 per day but free in the lobby.

I get the sense we are being ripped off and I believe we did.

When we were leaving for dinner I was met by the plumber. I showed him the sinks but the clogs were gone. So I told him he could leave, more on this later.

We headed for the Peal buffet for dinner. The best way to describe this buffet is this. $5.00 all you can eat and you can't eat $2.00 worth. We found it interesting that at hostess put antibacterial hand lotion in everyone's hands at the entrance. Well you will find out when you see the buffet why. The food was horrible overall from start to finish. We left hoping that breakfast would be better.

Now when we return to our room, we notice water by the entrance to our building. We thought we would walk towards the beach to take a look. As we crossed the water a man tells us that we were not crossing water. Instead it was sewage from a backed up sewage pipe that had flooded his room and another next to him. This explain why our clogged sinks now worked the clog was in a main which must have released the back up outside.

The man was very upset and told me this was his second room at the resort and that this room was the upgraded room to make up for whatever happened in his first room. He also told me they made him sign something saying he would not tell anyone what happened in his first room.

What got me next was the very next morning both the flooded rooms were already filled with guests. I get sick thinking about it.

Day two: we head off for breakfast at the pearl and we find the quality of the food to be as poor as the night before. I fact my son threw up after his breakfast. We leave in hopes the other restaurants will be better. Now we head to the front desk because my sons wrist band is too tight. (The wrist band limit your access to many areas of the resort) We run into Johnny be good who our assigned concierge is.

We are told by Johnny that the Sunday buffet party maybe cancelled due to rain and that we would be needing dinner reservations. When we all go to the reservation desk, Johnny stops to help another guest while I am waiting for him another person asks if I need help. I mention that we need reservation because of what Johnny said. She tells me the big party is still on. At this point we are fed up with not have a choice about our food and that no one seems to know what is going on at the resort. So now a person that looks like the manager of the reservations comes over to talk to me. We tell her that we don't think the $840 is not worth the quality of food we are getting and that we have no choice in where we can eat. They had booked us for an Indian restaurant and no one in my family likes Indian food and when I went to change that the night before they did change it but we needed up with a 9pm dinner reservation. Instead of being nice to the guest we are spoken to as if we should shut up and move on.

We leave head to the room and look into the cost if leaving and return home it is costly but we put it in the back of our mind. We change and head to the beach and hope it will get better. I take four trips to check for towels and over an hour to get the three towels thee resort gives us. We head to the beach which is a cross from a public beach and resort beach. We are not greeted by the warm clear blue water we have experienced at other islands unseat it is cold dark blue green water of the Atlantic and the beach has debris into the remains of a trees root system. While we're are on the beach thinking about the past 24 hours Johnny finds us on the beach and asked about us coming to the VIP welcome breakfast and tour of the resort. We know from other timeshares that this is a sale pitch meeting and say no. He pulls the old my boss won't take no for an answer trick. We tell him that we will not go, want to be left alone and that if we go to this we will voice all of our feelings of disappointment with this resort. He leaves. We finally get towels and my son and I swim in the cold pool, but the sun warms us.

Next we visit the snack bar for lunch we find the same bad buffet food from the night before and worse it is just out sitting in the serving stations and it is not appetizing at all. (See pictures) We head back to the pool then the room to watch a DVD on the old laptop. We dress for dinner thinking this is the first vacation we ever left a beach and pool early.

The Sunday welcome dinner party. This is a large outdoor buffet where the food is a little better than the stuff served at the resort. The night is filled with a “B” Movie like show of dancers, a singer, fire jugglers and a good video of Lifestyles Resorts VIP membership – yes this is a major plug to buy. We catch a shuttle back to our resort this is when we see the Royal Suite that is on the Interval International site.

On Monday another man with a white collar polo shirt comes up and tells us he is assigned to us to help us and he begs us to take the tour because it will help him earn money for his 3 kids we feel bad and go.

At the sales meeting I tell the sales person there is no sale here that we are angry and have not had a good start the to trip and want to be left alone. He talks with us and he asked us to just look at the units. The first is a villa with a pool and a butler. It is large and very nice with all the things we expected for our trade of our Hawaii based resort. Next he takes us to the Royal Suite; this is when I lose it. I tell him this is what we traded for a 1 bedroom with the two TV’s that sleeps 4, with a kitchen, and other amenities and tell him the trade is a bait and switch on their part. He tells me this resort is only for members and your reservation is subject to change. But if only members can have it how can you ever get it? There is no answer for this one. Next he shows me a unit that is just like my unit in Hawaii and I can’t take it any longer. He asks me if I would buy from them. I tell him to take us back to our room and that I just want to be left alone for the rest of the week.

We spend the rest of our stay fighting for dinner reservations at restaurants and find many other guests doing the same. Also if you need to make change of US dollars there the best way is to ask a bar tender if they have change of the bill you need because the front desk will send you to a person that does currency exchange and you will get a horrible rate.

Also the resort lets vendors onto the property by the seaside bar. They will hound you to buy and you must haggle because they make up prices as they go. There will be a cigar vendor that will be there that will light up a cigar and hand it to you to try before buying don’t do this. They will push cigars on you like crazy. Also leaving with Cuban cigars can cause problems for you at US Customs.

So I could go on with more points and things that went wrong but her is the bottom line: DO NOT TRADE FOR THIS RESORT. Stay home if that is your only option. I wish we had.

Room Tip: Don't go here - go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
27  Thank galvar60
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I booked this trip for my fiancee and I after getting engaged in January. We both knew it would not be the Taj Mahal for the price we were paying, however, we did not expect the dump it turned out to be. We had both read the MANY negative reviews prior to going, however, thanks to CHEAPcarribean.com and their lack of assistance we were unable to cancel and decided to venture on our trip to avoid losing out on the money. Upon returning home today from the worst vacation ever we are both wishing we had just stayed home and took the financial hit.
First and foremost, we were booked from April 14-21, on April 13th at 10pm I signed on to Jet Blue to print our boarding passes and the reservation number I was given by Cheap Carribean was not registering. After calling Cheap Carribean and being told that our seats were being shown on the screen and that I was all set; it must be Jet Blue's website experiencing technical difficulties, I called JetBlue to be certain. After back and forth conversations between both companies it was discovered our flights had be canceled and the flight was now sold out. Cheap Carribean and Jet Blue are still to this day blaming the other company for the cancellation, and no one has yet to take claim as to responsibilities for such actions. Jet Blue was able to get us on a flight the next day, losing a day of travel. Cheap Carribean still would not cancel or reimburse us for the day lost due to this major error.
We decided to remain optimistic and still attempt to "make the best of it". We were promised our room would be ready upon arrival as we were originally supposed to arrive a day earlier. When we arrived, the room was not ready and instead we had to wait until 4pm for the room to be made available. (Check in time is 3pm) On a positive note, we were given an upgrade to the 40 level room which was nice, however, the bed was one large spring and extremely uncomfortable. The air conditioning in our room was broken, thank goodness for the ceiling fan.
The water as we had read is undrinkable, and we avoided the water as warned. However, there is a lack of bottled water made available to guests so be prepared to be dehydrated. The resort is nice, we went over to LifeStyles for dinner twice and it appeared to have more social activities going on over there. However, if you are not a VIP member/time share holder be prepared to be bored and isolated. There are several restaurants and bars "regular" guests are not allowed to go in, leaving very little options left. There is no "nightlife" or any fun activities to do at night, with the exception of the Welcome Party, which is one big sales pitch with a buffet of nasty food, and a show each night which if you see once, is one time too many. If you are pregnant, have health issues, and/or can not walk alot DO NOT come here. There is a GREAT deal of walking and there are no elevators in the buildings. We were on the third floor and had to drag our luggages up the stairs by ourselves.There is a $10 cash fee each traveler must pay at the airport, so make sure you have cash readily available. We were unaware of this, and luckily had enough cash for this. The beach is not even nice, the sand is dirty and the water is not "carribean" by any means. The water was cold and dirty and the beach area was extremely small. If you are a beach lover, this is NOT the right destination for you.
Last but not least, both my fiancee and I got food poisoning. We got sick Wednesday, called the front desk to inform them and request 7-UP and bread be sent to the room, two hours later they sent two bowls of soup which we literally did not open as we were scared. I had to walk to the buffet myself to get bread and had to argue with the dining room manager, as he so rudely informed me "guests are not allowed to have food outside of the buffet." (I GOT THE BREAD ESCORTED BACK TO MY ROOM ;)) Not once did a manager speak to us regarding this health issue, and even at check out I spoke with guest services again, and nothing was said or done for us. Neither of us ate any food from Wednesday until Saturday to avoid becoming further ill. We returned home to the US today, both of us still ill.
I will never ever return to this disgusting resort and I strongly suggest you do your research into other resorts. Yes, it is cheap but think of what you are sacrificing by saving the money.

Room Tip: Definetly get the upgrade, I heard the basic rooms were gross.
8  Thank Colleen D

Dear Colleen D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been and to hear that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort did not meet your expectations during your recent vacation. We take guest feedback very seriously and we’re concerned by your review.

I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate you in a timely matter since the beginning, your check-in was somewhat delayed as we opted to upgrade you and we needed some time to prepaid the new room.

As far as the dirty beach goes, our housekeeping staff constantly browses around the pool and beach area of the property in order to keep the facilities of the hotel clean. Besides we can not modify or fight against nature but we supervise that the cleaning is daily made. The beach is a federal land which is kept clean in order to assure our client’s health and welfare.

For hygiene rules guest are not allowed to take any food outside of the restaurant, this however is no ground to mistreat a guest and I can only apologize if you felt offended by our staff.

As you might know, all major Tour Operators promoting Puerto Plata require that we go by specifics hygiene and food handling standards. In order to audit those standards on a regular basis, we have hired an outsource company called Prevenrisk, a UK based company, Prevenrisk is used by most hotel chains and tour operators doing business in the Dominican Republic, Europe, US as well as Canada which all have access to the results of such audits. Those records do not show any significant deficiencies that would indicate a risk to our guests’ welfare.

However these issues were related to the people responsible for the operation within our property and appropriate measures will be taken immediately. Our Customer Satisfaction Team is reviewing the information you sent us and conducting a full investigation in order to prevent this happening again in the future.

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort thanks you for you comments as it will be valuable for us to help improve the hotel. Again, we apologize for your experience on behalf of the entire staff at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort.

Sincerely

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Just returned from 5 nights at Cofresi. We enjoyed ourselves and would return again if it were not for the stairs. We booked through Cheap Caribbean like most people here but never felt like 3rd class citizens. Was it perfect? No. But overall great room, view, and staff. I will try to break down the good and not so good parts:
Good:
-stayed in 41 building with view of the pool and ocean. Being on the ground floor we could see only parts of the ocean through the palm trees but our overall view was gorgeous.
-room was large, cleaned daily with designs made in the cover over the bed and a different beautiful flower on the towels each day
-large jacuzzi in room (although our reservation was for a "superior" room we seem to have gotten a junior suite)
-beautiful pool right outside our room with plenty of space for beach chairs in the water, a beach entry to the pool, and a small waterfall
-THE BEACH BEDS! We had so much fun on the large, covered beach beds. We claimed ours at about 9am each day. They are so comfortable and allow you to stay out of the sun if you want to avoid burning. We have never seen something like this but never want to be on a beach without one again.
- about 99% of the staff were very friendly and did whatever they could to help.

Not so good:
- this resort is not meant for anyone with mobility issues. There are close to 100 stairs between building 41 and the lobby and you can not get to the buffet restaurant, the Pearl, without many stairs from the lobby area
-there are shuttles you can call for but it will not get you directly to certain places, like the Pearl, so stairs will always be part of the equation
-even people without mobility issues were tiring of all the walking/stairs/hills
-our room card stopped working a couple of times but we were lucky because housekeeping was near each time so she let us inP
-the food is average. We ate at El Pilon, Rodizio, and the Pearl. Overall we could find things we liked but I never felt like it was delicious. But this is true on many cruises and other all-inclusives as well.
-there is little to no information about anything. No info on shows, where things are, etc. You need to figure a lot out for yourself.
-the "tour" that is really a timeshare sell is annoying. The people stalk you all morning until you agree to go. Once we got to the point of meeting the salesman we were able to communicate we were not interested but then we got no bottle of liquor! But once that was over they never bothered us again about it. It was just a shame having to waste a good part of our first day with that and the forced meeting with Olympus Tours to find out our airport pickup time for departure.

Tips:
-building 41 is great so if you can, try for that or 40
-get out early to the beach if you want one of the beds. People are respectful of your stuff once you base yourself out of there
-treat people the way you want to be treated. We did not "wave money around" but were simply polite. Everyone treated us wonderfully, including housekeeping, and we did all our tipping on the last day.
-take the Outback Safari tour if you want to learn about the non-resort life in the Dominican Republic (I will be doing a separate review for that tour)
-be realistic about your expectations and enjoy the beauty of the resort

Room Tip: Building 40 or 41! Try for a room facing the pools/beach.
5  Thank Susan K
Reviewed April 19, 2012

It was my first time in this hotel and wow the way I was received was mind blowing! Everything was perfect from staff, to room, to the pool and specially the food. My room was ready on time and waiting for me to arrive. My stay was amazing and I always had something to do. They never stopped impressing me with the service. The staff was VERY friendly and always looking out to help me. If you ever have the chance, check out the spa, it’s very relaxing and the staff make you feel like new. The bar is amazing and the bartender makes the best mixed cocktail. I strongly recommend this hotel and I’m sure you will not regret it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends