“Cofesri Palm Vacation”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 8, 2012

we spent 2 weeks at this resort, first 3 night we didn't sleep the bed was broken,finally after the 3 night we got a different room which was nice our vacation finally started.The food was not what we experienced in other resort vacations, not much variety,but we always found something to eat.The last week was getting better. The sewer smell need to be cleaned up could be overwwelming at times.The lobby bathrooms needs to be checked more often& kept cleaner .This resort needs improvement but in time it will be great, the grounds are beautiful but lots of staires not good for people with disabiities.
The resort General Manager was very helpful after he found out we had a room with broken bed. He is trying his best to improve this resort.
Maid services were good but not enough staff in this area. Joselne & Felicita were our maids, they were very nice people always made sure we had coffee, water etc
Rosa/ guest services was also very friendly,smiling caring person,helped in anyway she could.
Ana/pool bar by lobby was wonderful lady, my husband called her his girldfriend haha. Also Rosario Maria from the Pearl buffet was excellent,always brought coffee & tea when she saw us boming we always sat in her section for breakfast & lunch.
Staff in recption need more people skills, every time anyone had a problem they would say come back tomorrow instead of dealing with the problem.Overall our stay was very relaxing.

5  Thank Frances L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,897)

Reviewed February 8, 2012

The least I could say... it is total chaos out there ! While all the staff is nice, smiling, doing the extra mille to acomodate, it seems there are no rules in this resort, no standard, and you can get various answers to the same question depending to whom you ask! As an exemple, I got borrowed an umbrella free of charge at the front desk and the lady told me I could keep it up to my departure time... Nice... my friend did the same and had to leave a deposit exactly 15 minutes after me... at the same front desk!?! I got as many internet coupon as I wanted, my friend had to do the line every morning to get hers.

It is almost impossible to make a reservation for the A la Carte restaurants. You show up at the designated desk in the morning, thinking you would have a reservation... Nope... You are on a waiting list and you have no choice for the time you wish to have dinner. You will find a coupon slipped under your door... it's like buying a lottery ticket! Food at the buffet is good but not a great selection. You can always find something you like but it is very basic. Not what you would think of for a 4,5* hotel. Plenty of bars and the drinks are excellent! Ask for the bartender special, they will be so happy to impress you with their secret receipe.

I was never able to get a blanket for my bed! Basic you say... I have spent the week with no blanket no matter to whom I asked. I only had one thin white sheet... They all said they would take care of it immediately. The week went by and never got the blanket... I ended up with my beach towel one night as I was freezing. The ceiling fan couldn't be stopped. No button... no switch... But I got all the water I wanted while my friend had to beg to have one bottle of water every other day...

It was a rainy week! Not their fault... But there were no plan B for animation! We were left to ourselves while they could have organized games or bingo (not that I like) I don't know what in the Theater... Nope! Sweet nothing!

The shows!!! Average to good but the abuse of stroboscope light drove everybody crazy so people where leaving because they couldn't stand the light no more! Too bad for the performers that really tried hard to put together some nice choreographies!

Beach is nice! Plenty of chairs no need to wake up in the middle of the night to get some... and beautiful beach beds for which you have to show up before 7h00 to get one! But if you like the style it is worth it!

This resort is definitely not for families with young children, neither for older people with walking problems. Full of stairs and hills. Up and down and here we go again! There are some karts but don't hold your breath...They pass by without even looking at you... Not very convenient! I must admit that as a middle age woman... alone... I peak people's interest and was able to have a better service... OK, I tip a lot!

The main problem: Time Sharing!!!
If you are not a VIP guest or a time share holder, you are treated as a second class citizen and this is really not cool! From this comes the problem at the restaurants. There are some "white shirts" that would harass you until you bleed. I was lucky, as a female traveling alone, they were looking for the man of the family to do business! So they left me alone!

Room Tip: Junior suites on the blocks 400 are more expensive but totally renovated.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank marie-nicole
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Not our first all inclusive resort, but first in Dominican Republic. We found the grounds to be gorgeous. The food was good to very good and had nice variety. The room was old, but clean and comfortable with a stocked mini-fridge. The buildings are indeed scattered over acres on a hillside which means LOTS of stairs unless you call for a golf cart shuttle and wait. The beach is not white sand but was okay and the VIP area with food and beverage service was great. The 7 pools are clean and each is unique in design. The vacation club sales pitch became high pressure so we just stood up, shook hands and said goodbye.
All in all a very nice winter break and for a super price through cheapvacations.com.
We may return, but the step climbing did get painful and tiresome.

Room Tip: Don't sign up for the TOUR. It is a 2 hour sales pitch that gets very high pressure. Just skip...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travlinmam
Reviewed February 7, 2012

The only people that have positive reviews about this place are obviously the time share owners. This place is based on "exclusivity" if you're not a member you will not get any of the so called "perks" of this place.
The only thing I have nice to say about his place is that the grounds are nice, but you constantly have people pulling at you wanting you to go on their high pressured time share tour. The rooms were average, no bugs. It was just the food that was so horrible. The only way to get a reservation at one of the many restaurants is to stand in line at nine o'clock and get your name on a list, and still we didn't make the cut, and they won't let you know that until around 4 p.m. The food the serve everyone is just disgusting, my husband got food poisoning because of it, we spent $250 for them to feed us diseased food, and he's not the only one that got sick MANY PEOPLE were ill. I had only 2 warm showers while I was there power went out many times, the spa was really nice great massage. Its a beautiful place, a little cold in Jan, the beach was seaweedy and rocky. don't go unless you are a full fledged VIP member that has access to all the cool places and restaurants.

Room Tip: You have no choice in rooms, unless you spend $$ and upgrade to a suite or something. We were unhap...
7  Thank kelly g
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Sorry, I don't usually go to a resort in a foreign country with a magnifying glass and bad attitude........hard pressed to find something wrong with my junior suite in the "40" building. OK....my refrigerator occasionally froze the unlimited stocked beer, water and soda.....why does this place have so many rotten reviews? Went with two other couples and this place has something for everyone. It isn't perfect but neither is my house! My house doesn't have a drop dead bathroom with travatine(sp) stone floors and walls.....separate room for the toilet...the spa tub complete with bath gel/bubble bath was great with perfect water pressure and LOTS of hot water on demand! We had two double beds, very large room with a terrific deck overlooking nothing which meant it was quiet. Never heard our neighbors. Flat screen TV, EXCELLENT A/C system. Mattress too thin for my taste but I still slept great every night.
Lifestyles marketing and branding is genius. The mega dinner and show for thousands of guests was amazing and very well executed with excellent talent. Nothing cheesy about it! Missed the Ocean World show but friends loved it.
The resort complex is built into a hillside but there is a shuttle service that can take you virtually anywhere. There are no elevators with the exception of the Lifestyle Tower where Azul is. Buildings are maybe 3 stories. I had no problem but will have to consider what rooms to book WHEN I bring my elderly father.
There are a million restaurants and if there was a problem it was not paying attention to the reservation system for dinner. JAZZ, VIP Gourmet, Skewers, Indochine were terrific and don't miss the Tapas bar! The outside bar at AZUL was just like being in South Beach. Bellini was fine but I only had the white pizza.....friends loved their lasagne.....didn't eat at half the restaurants...no time!
The VIP Bars had superior wine to CHEERS. At Serenity Beach the wine and champagne were perfectly acceptible. It was weird that ACQUA the (in-water) vodka bar had only low level vodka.......now that is a mistake!
Pools were cold.....when more people are out of a pool than in that's a problem. Pools were beautiful and CLEAN. In fact everything everywhere is SPOTLESS. Service was EXCELLENT everywhere and we did tip because we wanted to not because we had to. NO ONE had their hand out.
One night or two there was a sewage smell that cleared itself up.
We ate EVERYTHING including salad. The salad at Serenity Beach with grilled chicken was delish. We don't drink tap water in foreign countries as a rule and I would only recommend bottled water which was plentiful everywhere.
Highly recommend horseback riding with the Treasure Cove Ranch. They were very professional, speak perfect english (like nearly everyone), had well-kept horses and were very good to a neophyte like me. Loved my experience.
No hawkers on the beach to speak of.
NO hassle with beach towels!!!!
Don't expect the beach to be like St. John or the Cayman's but very nice and clean.
Never felt uncomfortable or not safe but purchased the lock for the safe anyway...was only $3/day (funny thing to charge for!)
Traded in my timeshare and upgraded to Lifestyles. They have a great concept.......
I thought my room was nice until I saw the others.....WOW.
We met great people everywhere of all ages.
Got to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheg
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I arrived at the Corfresi Palm on January 26th for a long overdue week long honeymoon. Much to our dismay we left the resort within 48hrs of our arrival in search of a more hospitable option. During our short stay we encountered a number of irritating and unnacceptable conditions that simply do not reflect what the Cofresi Palm projects itself to be.

When we arrived we met with our "rep" to discuss where and when to meet the following morning t 9:30am in order to take advantage of the property tour. I had read some stories about these tours and was fairly dialed in on what to expect; however, within 5 minutes of actually arriving in our room a porter slipped a note under the door indicating that we needed to vacate our room for fumigation at 9:30am the following morning. I found these two occurrences suspiciously coincidental and things pretty much went downhill from there. I never saw any one come to fumigate anyone's rooms at all, and of course the property tour was merely a sales pitch to lure our interest in the vacation club that shares its borders with the Cofresi. I might have been more amenable to something such as this at the end of our trip (if we had been able to stay) after I had been shown the value of my stay and the quality of the resort, but it seems the sales strategy here operates in reverse. On one hand if you are having a miserable experience perhaps signing up for the vacation club earns you a place in a luxurious villa and a helicopter ride (you had to be there). I will say that the only real cup of coffee my wife was able to get came during the sales meeting, and I managed to secure a decently strong rum and coke so it was not a complete loss.

Generally the service was poor, and on our second night we took advantage of one of the two restaurant reservations we were given upon check-in. I ordered a platter of Dominican sausage and vegetables, and well, look at the picture of what I pulled out of this sausage. I'm not entirely sure what breed of animal this was, but the hairs on the flesh were coarse and bristly, like a toothbrush.

We basically felt fleeced on this offer. From the beginning we were inundated with employees asking if we'd taken the tour, and there just seemed to be an atmosphere among the staff that they knew exactly what was going on, but had to remain quiet or else. We literally went to every restaurant and/or cafe in the place looking for real coffee but were only able to get freeze dried crystals. The resort itself actually looks pretty nice, but there's a unfortunate undertone of deceit that seems to circulate throughout and that's too bad.

When we could not bear it anymore reached out to another travel agency and arranged for a taxi to Sosua where we remained for the rest of our vacation. I'd never go back to Cofresi, but the DR is an incredible country, and the Cofresi Palm Beach Resort and Spa in no way reflects what this country and its citizens have to offer. It's a vacation prison with watered down liquor, skunky beer, and it smells, literally.

Room Tip: If you stay in a room, any room, that does not exist on this property then you're all set.
11  Thank Smitty s
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We have stayed at numerous all inclusive resorts, and this one was our least favorite(all of similar star rating). First of all the "unlimited" a la carte bookings is falsely advertised. We were there for two weeks(Jan 13-27), and at first only guaranteed three dinners, they claimed the resort was full and unable to offer any more-even though it's unlimited a la carte . We complained and got a couple more. So we spent a bunch more money eating out. But on two different occasions we noticed the restaurants had many open tables, tried to get in, and were turned away because it was VIP night, and of course we weren't. We know not to expect the best from the buffet, so this was most of the reason we booked there, seven restaurants to choose from, but didn't get to try them all :( As we thought the buffet was poor.
The beach and pool were nice, and always kept clean. The upper pool has nice loungers that actually recline flat, so you can tan you back!
If you are going to relax, look elsewhere because there is always a "Lifestyles" helicopter flying around the property, extremely/dangerously low, showing all the potential timeshare buyers the view from the air. Doesn't sound like much but trust me, all day, everyday, it get's tiring.
Our room was nice, but needed a lot of things fixed over the course of our stay(shower broke, fridge didn't work, towel rack fell off wall, no hook to hang wet clothes...). We thought it could have been much cleaner upon arrival, and of course the whole time we were there. Do they use cleaners? Not in our room. Every cleaner bottle we saw on the cleaners carts were always empty?? We had smears on the glass on the patio to look through our whole stay. There was soap residue in the shower from the previous guests. We wore shoes the whole time, because the floors were dirty. The list goes on. If you have a bad back the bed will kill you-very hard and springy in your back-no box springs. We left with soar backs!
Then there was the daily sewage smell, that seemed to be very noticeable in the evenings, and mornings.
The bartender and restaurant service was good, but hopefully you don't need to talk to the front desk or guest service workers. Not so accommodating and rude on a couple occasions. We were locked out of our room for hours, finding out the problem was a dead battery in the card reader. You'd think they would have had this issue before, and know how to resolve it, but no. At the same time our friends were locked out too, they had to go to the front desk three times to have their key reprogrammed, but after all three attempts failed, he was asked if he had a cell phone they could call when somebody available to help...hello roaming charges just for that, are you kidding? He was frustrated and not accepting that for service and all of a sudden somebody was available, and came with the portable re programmer and it was finally fixed-four trips to the front desk later!
So to sum it up, if your hoping for a relaxing holiday with good food and drinks-look elsewhere. And for the record I am not a complainer, usually, and never have written a review to broadcast any other facilities pros or cons, but thought for the rest of the traveler's sake it should be shared.

6  Thank Crystal923