“we had a good time”

Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“we had a good time”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We just got back from a one week stay at the Confresi Palm. The grounds and lobby are beautiful! The VIP beach is great with the " beach beds" and premier liquor, it is next to the Lifestyles property. There is a variety of entertainment and food selections, complete with a light pool show on Friday. We thought the breakfast at the Casablanca had a little more vareity than the Pearl but very similar selections. We were able to upgrade to building 43 and it was great! It was modern, spacious, and the bathroom very nice. As mentioned in a previous review, sometimes you smell the sewage after it rained but overall, it was very nice and not a distraction! I would like to especially thank the wait-staff, cooks, and head-chef at all the restaurants. The Bellboys were very nice and helpful, such as Enrique ( they have a shuttle that takes you around the property). Also, the cleaning staff were thorough and accomodating. Then the General Manager, Ceaser was great!! He took the time to know his guests and ensure we enjoyed our stay. Overall, it was nice experience!

BTW: We did not drink the water and we did not get sick.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I traveled to Puerto Plata and stayed at Cofresi Palm from January 28th-February 4th. We were two 28 year old women looking for a relaxing week away from the winter in Toronto. Prior to leaving we were anxious about our stay because of the horrible reviews that we read. We decided that we were going to go on our vacation with an open mind as well as the tips that we had picked up from reading all of the other reviews.

I would like to begin by stating that your vacation truly is what you make of it. If you decide that you are going to have an awful time than odds are this is what is going to happen.

Room: UPGRADE. We were thrilled with our decision to upgrade. Our room was in building 41 facing the pool. Although it is advertised as “ocean view”- no you cannot see the ocean, but you can certainly hear it and is the view of palm trees really something to complain about? Our room was large, clean and very modern. People that we spoke to that did not upgrade, some were completely satisfied and some were not, changing rooms because there was always something wrong. We had requested two beds and ended up with a king, meh...no big deal. In our bathroom after rain it absolutely smelled like sewage. It was gross but it was not something that threatened the enjoyment of our vacation. DON’T USE THE TAP WATER!! We had an ample supply of bottled water every single day, as well as the fact that in every building on every floor there are water coolers! I repeat just DON’T DRINK THE WATER! That is absolutely a reason as to why some people are getting ill. Our room was cleaned every day that we wanted it to be. We tipped Maria $2 a day and then at the end of the trip we tipped her an extra dollar for every day she had cleaned. Our air conditioning worked perfectly.

Food: I have never gone to an all inclusive resort for food. The food at Cofresi was not very good. We had decided (based on other reviews) that we would not eat uncooked vegetables that had most likely been washed in unpurified water- so that meant a week without salad. We also decided not to eat much fruit, for the same reason. As a result eating at the buffet became very redundant. Breakfast was the worst meal of the day, near the end of the week I started getting made to order omelettes and I have no complaints. There is also a selection of breads and a toaster. For lunch we ate a lot of pizza it was fine, I also really liked the French fries. And every day there was something else to try... one day there was vegetable tempura, it was good. The dinner buffet was similar to lunch- we had the pasta bar (made to order) a few times and again pizza. We were never left hungry, but we certainly didn’t eat very healthy. We never tried to the buffet on the tropical side. We went to two a la cartes (they were prebooked for us on arrival through nolitours). We went to the Dominican and enjoyed it. We also went to Rodizio (the Brazilian) At the Brazilian we ran into an issue because neither of us eat red meat. The manager accommodated our restrictions by supplying us with an ample selection of chicken and turkey and even had the kitchen make us a side of steamed vegetables. Neither of us got sick from the food. People we did speak to that got very sick- ate salad. Be cautious. No you are not going to this resort to eat like a king or queen.

Beach and Pools: Beautiful. We spent most of our time at the beach pool as it was right by our building. On our last day we went to the adult only pool and regretted not spending more time there. There are always chairs available at the pools. Umbrellas are harder to come by, which is annoying. The beach is NOT white sand or clear water. If you are shocked by this- you have not done your research. It is still beautiful and it is a BEACH! We never ever had an issue with getting a lounge chair at the beach. The beach beds are reserved (by people putting towels on them) early in the morning and sometimes people aren’t on them. Annoying? Absolutely, but this is the same at any resort I have been to. We had access to the VIP beach with our upgraded room. We went there once, it is pretty cool to see, all beach beds and two bars. We never went back though because the beach near us was perfect.

Drinks/ Bars: We stuck mostly to Presidente. It was cold and refreshing. We had read bad reviews about the hard liquor and wine and decided not to have it. We had a few slushy drinks when they were made “especially for us” by the bartenders. They were fine but definitely sweet. Another warning: we were told that they are made using coconut milk which is a laxative. Another potential reason many people encounter stomach issues and assume it is the food. Don’t drink too many sweet slushy drinks!
Service: The service that we received was 5 star. No question about it. We tipped. We tipped one or two dollars at every meal. We also tipped the bar tenders at the bar. In total we probably spent $100 in tips throughout the week between housekeeping, restaurants and bar staff. We didn’t do this because we felt this was the only way that we would get great service, because I believe that the staff that we encountered would have given it to us in any case. We tipped because the hard working, ever smiling, friendly staff absolutely 100% deserve it! We did not have to deal with the front desk staff so I cannot speak to that experience. The group of men who make up the animation staff are hard working and seem to be “on” all day. They are not pushy but are definitely present for those who wish to participate in activities. At all hours of the day you will see people cleaning, gardening and tending to the pools.

VIP or not VIP: Much of this resort is made up of timeshare owners. They have access to parts of the resort that all inclusive package users do not. This should not be a big deal. We were not VIP (other than the use of the VIP beach) and this did not affect us at all! I think that people get caught up in the “unfairness” of this. You are not paying to be a member... you have paid for an all inclusive vacation- get over it. There is still so much to do and space to use at the resort. We were never once approached by the men with clipboards who hover outside the buffet at breakfast. They are there to give you tours and ultimately try to sell a timeshare package. We figured we were not approached because we were two youngish looking women. We were relieved. The people that we did talk to that went on the tour said they eventually gave in to get the guys off their back but made it clear from the start that they were not interested!

The hills and stairs: This resort is built into a hill. Yes it is filled with stairs to get to the various levels of the resort. There are no elevators in the buildings (we were on the 3rd floor). For people with mobility issues, people with strollers or people who just don’t enjoy walking stairs; this resort is not for you. The stairs did not bother us at all. There are shuttles that are constantly driving around that can drive you anywhere on the resort. Beware of the shuttles they use the same paths as people walking and can seem intimidating at the start of your trip before you get accustomed to being aware that they are around.

In the end. We were so happy with our choice to NOT switch resorts. We loved it. We met some wonderful people, travelers and staff. The resort grounds are beautiful. Our room was perfect. The service that we received was superior. I have tried my best to be honest and include the negative aspects of the resort that we found. Take suggestions from my review as well as others. If you choose to enjoy your vacation you absolutely will. Have fun!

Room Tip: Stay in the junior suites: Building 40, 41, 42
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank MegyyzToronto
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 weeks at the Lifestyle Holiday Resort in January 2012 - that being our 5th stay with friends who are club members. Although we did not stay at the Cofresi Palm Resort we did access some of the facilities. Walks thru the area reveal beautiful pools including one for kids as well as one for adults only. Two friends stayed in the hotel there last year when it was still a Be Live and having seen the rooms I would describe them as very up-to-date, spacious and clean. The beach area is quite large and clean with lots of chairs. The lobby is very spectacular and the theatre which we attended one evening boasts very comfy seating. The first week of our stay was shared with 30 other friends and we were there to attend a wedding which, despite threatening weather, was a huge success because of the expertise and professionalism of the wedding planner. The sun shone on the happy couple as they exchanged vows in the yard of one of the villas but the sky opened up a while later. Needless to say us Canadians partied despite the puddles of water which formed even under the tents. Week 2 left us with 12 friends and during week 3 we were by ourselves. During this time we were accommodated in three different locations (our choice) - the Presidential Suites, a villa and the Residence Suites. At each place we did not encounter any problems and all requests were fulfilled within a reasonable amount of time. Tipping the maid and leaving a tip in the refrigerator for the guy who does the restocking tends to help. We ate mostly at the Casablanca buffet which is located at the Tropical. We did however venture out and had breakfast at the Blues, Bellini and El Pilon restaurants. We also did lunch at the Bellini. One day we ventured to the Tapas Lounge located at the Cofresi Palm and enjoyed their Spanish inspired appetizers as well as food from the Pearl buffet. All in all we enjoyed the food from each of these facilities and other than the odd less than hot dish (expected at buffets) have no complaints. My husband is a large fan of the soups provided at each of the buffets - he found them to be hot and very tasty. We obtained reservations for dinner at the Jazz (for members only), Moomtaz (Indian cuisine), Bellini (Italian) (twice), Blue Lagoon (Steak and Seafood) and El Pilon (Dominican). The latter four are open to all guests of Lifestyle. Food at each of these a la carte venues was excellent. We also attended two Sunday evening 'extravaganzas' along with some 2000 other guests and line ups for certain foods, particularly those being freshly prepared on site, were long. There is plenty of food and a very large variety including the dessert table. We also did the Thursday evening trip to the casino and if you are a first timer at this locale you should seize upon this opportunity. Shuttles are provided to and from the casino. A nice buffet is provided, drinks are free as is admission to the Bravissimo show (drinks cost you here) which is a small Vegas style show. Take the opportunity go to the casino during the day and take in the beautiful exterior - however be warned that a beer will cost you $9. Ocean World is also a great experience particularly if you have children with you.

I will add that it took me four trips to the Caribbean (both the Dominican and Cuba) to figure out that I have an adverse reaction to their fish which causes me to have a serious bout of vomiting and diahrea which lasts until my body has been purged. After a good sleep I am fine and able to continue on with my vacation. I am unable to determine exactly what causes this reaction as I am able to eat all fish and seafood at home. For those who report being ill it may be the result of a reaction to a specific food such as what I encounter. Keep track of what you have eaten and you may see a pattern developing. As much as I love fish and seafood I avoid it completely when I am visiting the Caribbean.

Over the years we have met many staff and some have become 'friends'. They remember us and each year greet us with open arms. The bar staff tend to greet you daily with a smile and a handshake and sometimes even a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I have seen how they deal with demanding and rude patrons - the smiles never disappear. Remember that these people are providing you with a service and, as at home, a tip, a smile and the words thank you (gracias) can go a long ways.

The most important thing to remember is that this resort is part of the Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Club and they want you to become a member. This means there will be men in white shirts wanting you to allow them to take you to the Tower to see a salesperson who will then attempt to sell you a membership. Be warned.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Forest, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Just got back from the Cofressi Palm Beach Resort and Spa. I will admit we were very nervous about going after reading all the bad reviews but let me tell you this was one of the best resorts we have been at. We had with us two teens, a nine year old, four adults and 2 seniors with walking disabilities. From the time we checked in we had A+ service. We booked a basic room and when checking in I mentioned to the attendant that we were on our Honeymoon and he tried very hard and managed to get us in a beautiful room in the Ying Yang Spa, which I might add was in the 200 buildings. We were completely amazed with this area. Our Terrace was huge with beautiful deck chairs overlooking the spa area and with small ocean view. Service was nothing less than a 4 star. We did have to wait for drinks at certain bars but did not seem to mind as really we weren't in a big hurry and enjoyed the scenery surrounding us. Pools were amazing and very clean however not heated. Weather was poor for the week, rained 4 days out of 7 but was still busy doing other stuff, in afternoon and evening staff always had something going on at the beach or near the lobby. Timeshare staff did attempt on a daily basis to get you to go on a tour but were not too overly aggressive. If you said no they would just try again the next day. HINT-always tell them you just arrived the day before and they will leave you alone. I will admit this IS NOT a place for anyone with any walking disabilities as there is no way around climbing steep steps on a constant basis. We however loved it as it burned off all the amazing food we ate and added to the beauty of the resort. I can't say enough about the staff, they made our vacation unforgettable. For us Ocean World was a fun day and worth the money and we also enjoyed the Puerta Plata runners tour. HINT- make sure to bring small items to give children at the school ie: school supplies, toys etc. The kids there are waiting but they don't tell you this before you go. Beach area isn't the Carribean but is descent, if your going for the Beach don't go here. Food at the Pearl, we found was better then the Casablanca. Did not attempt to book A LA Carte's as Nolitours gave us 2 bookings on arrival that we used. We found the food just as good as the Buffets. We had no problems with Nolitours and they were very helpful when I had any questions regarding our trip. They wrote us and assured us a good vacation which we had. Thank-you for a great Honeymoon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Reviewed February 4, 2012

My entire family arrived with good intentions and a open mind after booking and paying by
credit card all in advance. Normally you pay when you leave.a hotel and resort. To start with
the front desk was good hardly a wait. We did have to wait til 3pm which is normal. after getting our rooms we quickly noticed that one towel and no wash clothes in the room. Yes it had a balcony with two chairs. No more than a Motel 6 accomadations to put it in perspective. The fridge was never stocked and when we asked the maid it fell on deaf ear.
No chance of getting good food, stalked by vacation club representatives to go on tours that they needed money for their babies. Be aware that they introduce themeselves as your person to go to if you need something. Was sick most of the week and one family member was hospitalized when we returned home. Would not go back to Cofresi Palm Beach or Porta Potty. The smell of sewer gas is so bad therefore we have nick named the resort.
This is advertised as a all inclusive resort which I believe is false advertising due to being
turned away from bars and restaurants on premises due to not having a certain colored
wrist band V.I.P. Therefore you work hard for your money, do your homework, read all the reviews carefully before making your decision. It could be the worst decision of your vacation.........STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Frankie50_12
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I went with a group of 7 girls, meeting 5 other friends down at the resort. Not only was I shocked at how nice the resort was (thinking I paid such a low price and was expecting lower standards), the staff was amazing. The Cofresi resort shares restaurants, beaches, pools and bars with the next door Lifestyle resort, so the entire property is huge with a wide variety of dining and activity options. In addition to a beautiful resort the staff was awesome! Every day there were activities, games, and dancing going on on the beach, and all the waiters, bartenders, and entertainers were more than friendly. The resort offered nightly shows for entertainment, and had plenty of things to do. One complaint i would say I had was the cleaning of the rooms. my sheets were not cleaned the four nights i was there. In particular, Blacky was an extremely fun activity coordinator, and staff member. He definitely contributed to the amount of fun we had!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2012

This was our first trip to this resort. We have gone to a number of other all inclusive resorts and this is one that we would not return to. That being said, we always make the best of what we have while we are there.

Let's start off with check in itself. They were very organized and the whole operation ran quite smoothly. We were very impressed with the lobby and thought we hit the jackpot upon arrival.

We were shuttled off to our room via golf cart which was not a long way but since we arrived at night we had no idea what the place actually looked like. We were put into room 30221, which in my opinion was one of the closer rooms to the lobby (thank goodness-I will explain later). The room was clean but very warn. The bed and pillows were quite comfortable and when we asked for an extra blanket they brought it to us right away. The room was very spacious and the balcony was large as well. We were on the second floor and when the person above us took a shower it ran right through our bathtub as well. If it was 3:00 AM the water was running through our shower as well. Our sink also leaked and we asked them to have it fixed at the front counter but it never got done the entire week we were there. We just had to lay towels out on the bathroon floor in order to avoid wiping out since everything is tiled.

We had our Nolitours meeting at 9:00 the next morning and I would strongly suggest you attend. The Nolitours Reps were very helpful and gave us plenty of information. Remember, we have visited a number of all inclusive resorts in the past and these Reps tell it how it is here. Dominique will certainly help you whenever she can and however she can.

You are given one a la carte reservation upon arrival. For the remainder of your a la carte reservations you must wait in line each and every morning. That being said, waiting in line is exactly that.....waiting and waiting. In fact, people were lining up at 6:15 am (in the lobby-guest services), the doors don't open until 8:00 am but they don't actually start taking your name down until 9:00 am. They are there at 8 just to set up the office and not deal with guests for the first hour. Once your turn comes you can put down your name and room number and your top two choices for your a la carte reservations (only 4 a la carte restaurants were open each night). Please note ****you are only getting your name on a waiting list!!!**** You will be told that they will put a note under your door between 4-6 if you get a reservation. That never happened for us. You can also pick up your internet password for your 15 minutes of free internet for the day at this time.

There is free WI-FI in the lobby but it is up and down. Sometimes you can access it other times you can not. We never did access it but were lucky enough to get the password for the LHVC WI-FI so we used that internet access while we were in the lobby (again, it only worked in certain areas in the lobby).

Let's move onto the food. I am not a picky eater and tend to try new things often especially when it is all inclusive. That being said, I did not find much of a selection throughout the week. The buffet felt as though it was always the same. Of course they would have one or two different dishes each day but that was about it. The beef dishes they had all looked the same but just had different names on different days. I must say, the food was not bad but it was not excellent either. It was very repetative and unless you caught them bringing out fresh trays it was luke warm at best. At the Pearl Buffet they did have a microwave where you could re-heat your food (we used that quite a bit). They also were not always punctual. If the Buffet hours said lunch was 12:30 you could be waiting in line until 12:45 or 1:00 as they were not yet open!!! There is another Buffet Restuarant at the sister resort which you can walk to or take the shuttle over. The Nolitours Rep told everyone it was better with a bigger selection but we only went there once. The place was so packed that you couldn't get a seat and when you did get a seat you couldn't get silverware or napkins. We did notice that again, they did have two or three additional dishes in comparison to the Pearl but didn't find it worth the long walk over there for an extra two or three dishes.

On to the a la carte dinners (staying with the food topic). We were luckly enough to score a number of a la carte meals. The trick to this is to just show up at the a la carte restaurant of your choice and ask if you can wait for an available table!! We did this for three out of four a la carte dinners. They do reservations at the a la carte restaurants every half hour from 6:30 through until 9:00. The longest we waited for a table was a half hour. We ate at the Mexican, Italian, Asian and Seafood. The food was wonderful at all four restaurants. My husbands' favourite was the Mexican and mine was the Asian. The service at the Seafood (Blue Lagoon) was terrible. I had to ask for a coke four times and then I just went up to the bar myself!!! Now we went to the Blue Lagoon on our last night there and there was a little accident four feet away from us. There was a family of 10 people sitting at a large table beneath a ceiling fan. They all had their glasses of water and wine but had not yet ordered their meals when all of a suddent the ceiling fan fell from the ceiling crashing down on their table and two of their children. Glass was shattered everywhere and two children were seriously injured. Needless to say, many guests left dinner early as we could not watch the young girl (the one more seriously injured) in pain and the fear on her face as they waited for the ambulance and police to arrive.

Let's now move onto the drinks. I am not a drinker so I can not comment on whether or not they are watered down like others say. I found the drinks to be quite strong to be truthfully honest with you but keep in mind I am not a drinker. My husband did not find the drinks to be watered down either and he is a little more of a drinker than I am. Now, they did run out of coke three days while we were there but then they brought in bottles. They did run out of beer three times but that was just a matter of waiting for someone to bring up a new Keg (which could take over an hour). They ran out of Amaretto twice, not to mention they also ran out of glasses twice. Again, it was a matter of waiting for a staff member to bring cups up to the bar which could take more than an hour to happen. The bar staff was wonderful but they only ever had one bar staff on at a time and sometimes that bartender had to serve the swim up bar guests along with those sitting on land. They eventually had to start limiting people's drinks. People were coming up to order 20 and 30 beers and the bartender would say only 6, tell the other to come up and wait themselves!!

The staff in general were not bad. Other than the servers at the Blue Lagoon we did receive good service throughout the resort. They were not overly friendly but did do what they could for you. I did not find that they went out of their way but did their job to the best of their ability. We were told right out of the gate that they were short staffed and that was very clear as the week went on. If you have any questions I would suggest you go to Guest Services in the lobby as the front desk staff are rude and don't care anything about you. I think they are there as a warm body only. They were not accomodating and their tag line is "I only work here!!" Again, I would much rather deal with the Guest Services staff or our Nolitous Rep long before I tried dealing with the front desk staff!!

The beach and pools, what can I say about that. I couldn't count how many pools were on this resort. There were a ton of pools and they were beautiful!! The beach was okay, very small and I have seen much nicer ones but it wasn't bad. We did not hang out on the beach at all as it was very small and over crowded. We loved the idea that you could put your lounge chairs in the water around the whole parimeter of the pool so it kept you cool when it was very hot out. There were always plenty of lounge chairs and you did not have to get out there at 7:00 to "save" them. We never had a problem finding a chair except for the last day we were there but we didn't arrive to the pool until noon, still we were able to gather two chairs and put them where we wanted to sit.

I can not comment on the Spa services as we did not visit the Spa at all although I did hear people saying it was fabulous!! I can not comment on the daily activities crew either as we did not venture over to that pool. I did see aqua arobics going on in one of the activity pools and quite a few people were participating. We did go to a couple of nightly shows and they weren't bad. The staff appeared to enjoy what they were doing and put on a good show. Some of the staff were very talented dancers which made the shows even that much better.

The resort itself is beautiful but there are far too many stairs. If you have limited mobility this is not the place for you. If you want to go anywhere on the resort you must take stairs. There is a ton of walking and a ton of stairs. I can not tell you how many stairs there are!! This resort appears to be built in the side of a mountain or something because everything is on a slope!!! You will always be walking up or down hill or walking up or down stairs.

The entire resort is not well lit at night. In fact, lighting is far and few between. When trying to make you way to or from an a la carte restaurant we would advise you use the shuttle rather than walking because none of the pathways have lights. The stairwells back down to your room had light fixtures but they were either broken or did not have bulbs in them so walking back to your room at night was difficult as well.

You could find a few sounvenier stands set up down the beach (if you are looking out at the water they would be on your right hand side). If you want to go into town to do some shopping try to share a cab with other guests as it is $50.00 return trip.

Overall, we did enjoy our time there. We met some wonderful people and enjoyed chatting with some of the staff. We would not return as we were not too happy with having to wait for a la carte reservations everyday, the food was just okay, and the stairs and lighting left much to be desired. I think this resort is overpriced for what you get and would therefore rather visit other resorts that we have not had the opportunity to visit yet. I would not recommend this resort to friends or family for those reasons.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple