“WORST VACATION RESORT EVER !!!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I have been to Punta Cana and Puerto Plata AT LEAST 12 times over the last 10 years. This was the ABSOLUTE WORST vacation EVER. Hotel "looks" nice, but that is all a facade!! Food is absolutely disgusting.......the springs in all the beds poke out and dig into your back.....so good luck being alert in the morning after being awake with back pain all night. We had cockroaches in our room. They do not change your sheets or bring fresh towels unless you hound them non-stop for hours. Our bar fridge did not work from day one.......so we had to trudge up and down to the bar to get cold pop or water for the evening. The customer service was absolutely deplorable. The only two people at the whole resort that were amazing were Rami & Wilson from the Dive Centre......other than that.........this was a complete and total waste of $1200 and a week of my vacation time. The Nolitours rep was quite rude and snotty when you ask her for assistance!!! This is definitely not a 4.5 star resort. If I was feeling generous, I would rate it a 2 star......and that is pushing it to the max !!!! I did not take one picture on this trip.......I just wanted to get on a plane and come back to Canada !!!

Room Tip: Go to a different resort !!!! This one is a total waste of time !!!! I bet the food in a federal...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank jojo_d_1969
Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Brown sugar beaches, mountains in the distance, lush, shady beaches and grounds. That's the DR. My husband and I, along with my parents, booked a Cheap Caribbean trip to Cofresi Palm Beach for the week before Christmas. We got an amazing good deal, as in $49 per person per night (not incl airfare). The deal has gotten even better and you can now get the same trip for $12 per person per night (thru Friday 1/13/2012 for travel even into the summer). That includes your room accomodations, access to about 2/3 of the neighboring resort facilities and unlimited food/drinks at the bars and buffet restaurants. We had a fabulous time and plan to go back in 6 months with our extended family, 20 of us in all, at the $12 rate.

Here's how to get the most for the least and avoid the pitfalls other reviewers experienced.
First of all, Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club is basically a timeshare. They own the resort next door to Cofresi and recently bought and reopened the Cofresi as the newest part of their expanded resort. They are offering this unbelievable price to get volumes of people to visit their resort in hopes some will buy timeshares. No one is obligated to buy a timeshare or listen to a sales pitch. Just say NO. But that is why they are offering this deal. And to be honest, I could drink more than $12 of bottled water, not to mention mixed drinks, per day, so they are pretty much giving it away.

We were given rooms in building 41, were adjacent to the main pool and beach. Our room did not face the pool, but I don't sit on my room porch anyway. Our room was in great shape, clean, everything worked and the mini-fridge was stocked with bottled water, soda and beer. The bathroom was fabulous, jacuzzi tub, separate shower, private toilet room, double vanities, good closet space. The room had a king bed, 2 easy chairs and a desk area, closet and mini-bar area. It was approx. twice as large as a typical US hotel room.

At this price you cannot expect to have access to the a-la-carte restaurants reserved pretty much for the timeshare guests or people who paid a boatload for their rooms, so just don't set your hopes up on that and you won't be disappointed. But we found the Casa Blanca buffet at the Tropical had very good food and a theme that changed daily, so we didn't get tired of the variety. The actual beach is open to everyone. Some lounge areas near the beach are just for the VIP guests (aka timeshare guests or high-paying guests) but the other areas are really nice too. I took the timeshare presentation and toured the whole thing and felt the best pool was at the Cofresi near the beach, open to all guests. We felt the best bar with the strongest drinks was adjacent the Tropical lobby. The wine was lousy everywhere, so just opt for beer or mixed drinks and you'll be in a very good mood in short order.

HERE'S THE TIP TO GET VIP SERVICE ON $12 or $49/DAY: TIP! Yes, it's technically an all-inclusive but the staff get very low wages and a $1-2 (USD) tip per day to your housekeeper, server, bartender or other staff will ensure you get fabulous service, top-shelf drinks, extra towels, all the stocking of your mini-fridge you like... You can stand on principle and feel like you shouldn't have to tip at an all-inclusive resort, OR you can allocate $5 per day for tipping (which is cheap really - less than one 'value' meal at McDonalds) and be treated like a VIP. This is what we did and we had a great time.

Accessibliity: My mother walks with a cane or a walker. There are steep hills and steps. But all we had to do was call for transportation and they quickly brought a golf cart almost to her door and took her anywhere she wanted to go. She did not have to wait in lines for the shuttles. But, then again. She would tip $1 here and there and word may have gotten around. I think the little bit of tipping money we spent was well worth it. I think the other reviewers may not have tipped, didn't explore the adjacent Tropical part of the resort and were unhappy as a result. We had access to the Tropical and the Cofresi side and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. With the economy bracelets!

I compare it to: If you pay for a coach/economy air ticket and then complain you did not get first class meals and service, you are not basing your complaint on what you paid for. But if you can get an almost free seat in coach and then still get very good service, then you got a deal for a steal. That is what we did.

Room Tip: Bldg 41 adjacent to pool and beach
12  Thank RomanticCountryGal
Reviewed January 10, 2012

A Beautiful place but it ends there. This resort is very disappointing. We paid for an Ocean View and we got a Pool view with Palm trees between which we could barely see the ocean. Food was terrible and cold. Broken fridge...The bath has a leak which cause a huge flood on the floor. We were unable to get an A La Carte Restaurant even if we were at the reception early in the morning in order to get a place....every morning, the office opened at 9.00 and Restaurants were full at the same time (Probably reserved for the members). By the way Lifestyle focus on Members and on the ones becoming members by purchasing a Time to time travelling package which starts at 8k up to 185K. If you don't buy, you will be treated like a nobody...they will even tell you that you are a Welfare which they did to us by not purchasing their membership. During our stay we have been harassed at least 3 to 4 times a day by their time sharing representatives...a real nightmare. 1/2 of the resort has a awful smell of septic tank which made a lot of people sick...the smell was also in many bedrooms (many people said) Almost everyday we were running to the service people in order to get our bottle of water, pops and beers which it was supposed to be included in our package. Wine was raspberry juice with alcohol. A real nightmare...please avoid this place.

Room Tip: Do not choose this resort
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nathalie R
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This hotel has the potential of being a great destination but only after they:
1. Change their managers with people who know what they are doing
2. Upgrade their double rooms.

The managers and supervisors are very slow to respond the numerous problems that seem to dilay crop up. There were electirical problems, cleansiness issues, rooms not being cleaned for two days, etc.

Our friends stayed in a Junior Suite and found the quality to be far supreriour to the double rooms. Even here though, there were electrical problems and it took numerous calls to have them rectified.

The buffet restaurant was a great disappoinment so we had to make the hike to the sister resort, the Tropical, and eat at their restaurant.

The resort itself is a lovely place but the time-share sellers swarm over new arrivals. I really cannot recommed this resort until they improve.

Room Tip: Book nothing less than a Junior Suite.
6  Thank HalseyV
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Just got back from 14 days (xmas eve to Jan 7) at Cofresi Palm and also was a 3rd class citizen. We booked before it changed to the new company and had no idea of the size of the place (11 pools between Cofresi and Tropical - not including VIP areas!). All previous reviews are accurate - we had to change room once as our safe wouldn't lock but at least it was only once! That I could handle.

A la cartes I don't usually go to but the buffet seriously lacked options so I wanted to try them out - in 14 days we got 3 and that was a battle. You are told that particular ones are closed and then you see them open that night. You also have to line up EACH day at 9am to book for that night....no booking for the week all at once which is a huge inconvenience. I will say the food got better throughout thanks to the constant complaints and screaming that took place in the lobby xmas day and boxing day. The buffet was quite good on our second week. They clearly were not prepeared for the amount of people. We did the tour of VIP area and it is beautiful if you are into that kind of thing. If they are paying to be members I can understand why they get priority in restaurants but it is not practical to find out at 6:15 that you have a 6:30 reservation. They need to set aside a percentage of seats for VIP's and let the lowly citizens sign up on a first come first serve basis for the remainder.

The pools and beach were excellent. We always got chairs and found the ocean good to swim in - definitely wavy so a bit stirred up near the edge at times. Not white sand but who goes to Puerto Plata for white sand?!? Pool was cool but who doesn't want that on a scorching day?

Bars were an issue. They need to put more staff on them as it takes forever to get drinks. Order two at a time! It would also help if people could take turns like civilized individuals - I got quite sick of this!

Room was fine - clean and simple in 300's (I agree 200's were worse). Mini-bar not re-stocked but not a bother to me.

Internet - either line up every day for a password and line up for one of 2 computers OR attempt to get on to lobby wi-fi (I never could!) OR go down beach towards VIP area and access VIP wi-fi that they have on beach!!!

Entertainment was okay. Some good shows - but a few bad ones. We liked the fire show in the pool and the Michael Jackson show. As we were there 2 weeks we saw the shows twice - a two week roation would have been better (but that is being more picky).

I wouldn't go back but I always go to new places. For the money we paid it was a good trip. Not our best. It could be a really good place with better service and organization of restaurants.

I spent 2 weeks trying to find out how people were "buying" the gold bracelets - someone please let us all know how much/where you were buying them as it was obvious you were not members as you slept in our shanty areas!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Emma P
Reviewed January 9, 2012

What can I say? OMG, too much. What a disappointment. It was 3 couples that went from Dec 29/11 thru Jan 05/12 The trip for was a gift for my 50th from my husband. The trip from airport to hotel was painless and check in was very quick. We did ask for an upgrade but were turned down as they said they were fully booked. We went to customer services right away to try to book a restaurant for dinner as the 29th was my actual birthday. It wasn't to be had. We couldn't get into ANY of the ala cartes, which didn't change thru out our stay. WELL, I guess I shouldn't say that as we did BULLY our way in to 2 separate ala cartes. The Indochine which really was good although portions for the appetizers were very, very small. The Mexican which was also very good. Oops, getting off track here. We were quite excited as we were taken to our rooms as the grounds are gorgeous and well maintained, it was very short lived. We were in the older standard section and the rooms definitely showed it . Our room was without hairdryer, without tv remote, without iron and without a blanket. The bathroom itself was a total joke and disgusting, the tub had lumps in it. I was literally scared that it was going to crack. We received a blanket the next day. My sister and husbands room wasn't any better and my girlfriend and her husbands room was an absolute nightmare. The ceiling in the bathroom leaked for 3 nights getting all there stuff wet and water actually was running out of there room into the hallway. It eventually got fixed when they went and got irate about it. We have all travelled together before and we really are easy to get along with. We were determined that we were there to have a blast and WE DID. So off to celebrate birthday supper at the buffet. I don't think I have ever felt so let down. We had burgers that were raw and we had to get them recooked and half weiners dipped in batter like corndogs and fries. The was some rice and some fish and some awful tasting chicken but the fish smell was so overpowering that everything tasted fishy. I am not a fish eater so this was awful for me. Off to get some drinks and have fun. We grabbed our drinks at the lobby/pool bar and went down to the beach which is dark by this time. This is the first time I have ever been anywhere where I have had to ask them to put more alcohol in my drink, it is usually the other way around and I am asking them to put less. Walking around familiarizing ourselves with the beach was wonderful and had a very calming effect on us. My sister and I actually found a little bar just left of the hotel on the beach called AHORAS which we decided we would visit in the near future. Time for bed and off we went. The buffet never got better, we never got into the Brazilian as they supposedly were only open on certain nights and were booked solid. We saw it open many times and of course it was never full. There was a wonderfull little Tapas bar just outside the buffet but NO we werent members and it was a members only area. Go figure right outside the entrance to the buffet. Anyhow, Day Two, the ocean and weather was beautiful, the beach buffet and regular buffet for lunch were again awful. For supper we decided to go to AHORAS and what an enjoyable evening, The host and his staff bent over backwards for the six of us and the food was amazing. I shared a steak/lobster for two with my brother-in-law and it was spectacular. When we made our reservation in the afternoon he did take a $20 Deposit and asked who would be having lobster as it would be that days catch. The appetizers were all very good and the rest in the group had steak and ribs and raved about them, The wine list was unfamiliar to us but we were guaranteed if we did not like our choice he would buy us another bottle. I believe 2 were purchased that night.
The nightly entertainment was mediocre at best although the staff tried and like I said we were determined to have a blast. My husband was on stage one night and won a bottle of rum and a horseback ride for two which we never used. The beach was separated into us and them, vip time share owners and chameleon gold(that's a joke) I have booked through Nolitours many times and was always happy with our purchase, they are way off base this time and to save their name they should pull out pronto. The Salesman are obnoxious at best, one guy even chased us down the stairs. They are completely scripted, if you don't go on a tour they won't get there $10 and they have babies at home. The one guy was older than my dad for pete's sake. They are in every high traffic area. We tried the buffet at the Tropical at the neighboring resort and were just as disappointed it. The theme was Mediterranean night and there wasn't any silverware or plates. It took forever to get seated and my husband and our friend brought their plates back to the table first and started and it was so bad we got up and left before the rest of us even hit the buffet, guess what was being served at our buffet? You got it, the exact same thing. In all fairness the breakfast at the buffet was passable only because of the omelette station. When the six of us booked this vacation it was still Be Live Grand Ambar and we paid top dollar. Approx $3500 per couple, each couple thru a different travel agent. We DID NOT get our value out of this vacation. Most people work hard for there vacation time and the money to be able to do it. We came home feeling like we hadn't been on vacation. The last two days didn't make things any easier as it rained and my sister and I were both ill. We have chalked it up to the food or heat stroke we really can't say which but we were both bed ridden for the rest of the vacation Before I forget, we did experience the spa and it was fabulous and we didn't feel like 3rd rate citizens while there. I had the aromatherapy massage for 55 min and it was the highlight of my vacation, if by some misfortune you end up there, treat yourself, you'll need it. We DID enjoy ourselves off resort and when in the ocean. Lots of noise during the night, puking right outside room, someone having sex in the corridor, arguing at 3 am , but no security. During the day at the smaller pool by the FROST bar (which never opened) security was always present and it was creepy like the guy was a peeper made me very uncomfortable and guests and staff alike were all unable to smile. That was noticed through out the whole resort, no smiles, so maybe we needed to be watched cuz we laughed and made the best of it. Just trying to give everyone a heads up. Been to Punta Cana and the experience was incredible but I think I am Dominicanned out. Been to Cuba several times and Mexico and never felt the need to do a review such as this. Please read the posts prior to mine and the ones to come as they are accurate. My sister and friend will be posting there own reviews make sure to read them. Enjoy your vacation STAY AWAY from Grand Ambar or Confresi Beach or whatever they call it now. Oh Yah, the IT ZONE is a joke, just hype.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here Block 204 and 205 face all the air conditioning units. Its loud and un...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Snowlakesquad1
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Upon the death of my grandmother at age 97 my father decided to use some of his inheritance to take my brother, my sisters and all of the grandchildren to Cofresi Palm resort. He had been to other resorts in the Dominican Republic many times and wanted to expose the entire family, 16 in all, to the great tourist atmosphere he had always experienced. Cofresi Palm failed miserably to measure up to what my father hoped for.

The rooms were pitiful – small, dingy, and poorly lit. We had 5 rooms in the 200 building and one in the 500. Each room was supposed to have a stocked refrigerator. One was empty. One didn’t work at all and another was not very cold and ran very noisily. The thermostat in my room was nonfunctional. There were only sheets on our beds – no blankets. My wife, daughter and I froze the entire 1st night. There were no box springs under the mattress. I did not sleep well the entire week. My sister and her family of 4 were assigned a room with 1 bed. They called the front desk to change rooms and were told they would be called back. They never were. It was 10:30 pm when we checked in. They finally switched rooms with my Father. They were tired and wanted to get their 3 year old son and 6 year old daughter to sleep. There was a ribbon of lights which lined the bottom of the beds. There was no switch to turn it off. They found a custodian walking by about 11:45 pm and asked him how to turn it off. He could not figure it out. He got help from 2 other staff members and around 12:15 am they pulled the bed away from the wall and unplugged the light. They noticed a sewer like odor intermittently. The next morning we could see that there room drained to a septic tank. Every time anyone in the 200 building used enough water the odor would be stirred up in room 20213.

The next morning we attended the orientation meeting. Dominique from Nolitours was pleasant and informative. Following the presentation a few of us spoke to her. She had to give another talk and referred us to her partner in the tour office. Another patron spoke to her first complaining about the quality of her rooms. She stated the advertised 4.5 star rooms did not even qualify for 2 star, due to among other things, a musty odor and dirty curtains. She was told to come back at 3pm for a possible room change. When it was my turn I agreed with most of the previous complaints and told her of my freezing night in the tropics with no blanket and a non-functioning thermostat as well as the malfunctioning and under stocked refrigerators. She told me that the resort was under new management as of a month ago and carefully recorded my complaints. I asked her where I could get drinking water being in an all inclusive package. She asked if we received bottles of water in our room refrigerators. I responded that we did receive 2 bottles in some of the rooms but hardly enough for an entire week. She looked me straight in the eye and asked “Can’t you take the empty bottles to the bar to be refilled.” It was then I understood what we would have to deal with for the remainder of the week. She also suggested we come back at 3:00 to see if different rooms were available. My sister-in-law and I decided against this as not to make my father feel bad.

There was a small army of men in white shirts offering a tour of the Crown Villa area. My father took a ride with Hector who told him an immediate upgrade was available for our group with a purchase of a time-share for an additional $10,000. These men pestered us every day of the trip. Had they been used instead to staff the hotel I believe we could have had a wonderful time as the facilities have the potential to be high-class

Of the 6 or 7 bars in Cofresi palm never were more than 2 open at once for our package often staffed by only 1 bartender. There was a pool bar close to my fathers room that remained closed the entire week. The buffet was very limited and some of the selections were handed out in small portions by the staff. 4 in our group lost a day to illness likely caused by this food. The best meal we had that week we paid for at a nice restaurant a short walk from the resort. The last day we had breakfast at the Cassiblanca. The food was just as bad. The birds who kept stealing pastries from the didn't seem to mind. I guess the food was for the birds!

Restaurant reservations were clearly rationed. We were not allowed to make reservations until 9:00 am the day of service. Each day there was a long line at guest services at this time. Owing to the fact that I could not sleep due to my uncomfortable bed I decided on Wednesday to line up early. I was 1st in line around 8:15am. A pleasant young lady named Indiana opened the door around 8:20 and took my request for internet access for the 1 computer that worked in the room and casino vouchers. She explained to me that she could not take dining reservations until 9:00am as the computers would not accept them until that time. I said that was fine and waited with some other guests who were lining up for reservations. We all commiserated our similar stories of inadequate service. Around 8:50 am after a line behind me stretched through most of the lobby, Indiana said she was ready to take dining requests. My 1st 2 choices of restaurants were closed that evening. I chose the Italian restaurant and she informed me that there were not enough tables and I would be put on a waiting list. Unsurprised at this point I requested 7 chairs which she informed me would be verified between 4:00 & 6:00pm. She did not enter this information into a computer. She recorded it on a paper list. It is clear that she is to wait for a long line to form in the lobby in order to discourage patrons from eating at the restaurants. When she does begin taking reservations there are none to be had even for the 1st in line. Around 5:45 p.m. a voucher for 4 seats was slipped under the door of my room. I was 1st in line and only received a portion of seats I had asked for. These went unused only because my sister after requesting a room change due to the odor and high traffic was offered a room across the hall which represented little improvement. After multiple meetings with hotel staff she was left in tears in front of many of them. They did make an effort to offer some preference by giving our group the reservations I was unable to secure.

The staff was courteous, worked hard and was always quick to answer questions and send you on your way. Occasionally they even gave you a correct answer. I give them a lot of credit for attempting to keep up with the demand. None of the staff we had spoken to had worked at Cofresi for more than a few weeks. It was becoming clear they were thrown into a situation with inadequate resources and knowledge of their surroundings in a blatant attempt to offer poor service as an alternative to better service offered for people who bought into the time-share program. The previous staff had been purged. They might have actually been able to take care of us. When went to the Crown Villa complex we had to avoid being run over by the VIP’s in golf carts. I also tried the beer in 3 different Crown Villa bars. Something was not right about it as it tasted as it had been diluted with seawater.

When my father spoke to the tour rep at the end of the week she believed we supposed to have been housed in the 300 or 400 buildings which are newer and larger. She wondered if the staff had made an error checking us in. It seems more likely that this was Intentional. We heard that the 200 buildings had just recently been re-opened after not being used for some time.

I have read some reviews of Cofresi on Trip Advisor. Many of them were very satisfied owing to the fact that they had paid as little as $11 per night for a room. For what we received, I would say that is a fair price. That, however, is not what my father paid out of my Grandmother’s life savings. Nolitours and Cofresi Palm did NOT provide the service that my father purchased. I complained via email to the hotel and the tour operator and received no response.

This place is a trap. Do not waist your money here. Do not deal with Nolitours. We talked to some guest that had returned here because they had a wonderful time at a wedding here a few months ago. The new management has destroyed this beautiful resort in an effort to sell time shares. They will not last long. There will be no repeat customers. There are many other fine resorts in this beautiful country worthy of your money.

Room Tip: 400 building
4  Thank mike m