“Be Live Grand Ambar/Carey - Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Waterloo, Canada
“Be Live Grand Ambar/Carey - Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Hello Worried Travelers :-)

Fear not! Grand Ambar by Lifestyle and the Cofresi Palm are the same resort and let me tell you this....it is absolutely stunning! I was there in February with a group of friends and we had an amazing time! We have booked again for this February with a group of 15 because we loved it so much and if they are closed for even more renovations.....well I can only imagine how perfect this place will be this time around.

On top of that we have also stayed at the (now) partner resort, Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa, and it is also beautiful...so the fact that we can share amenities is fantastic! I have been to all over the Dominican (Sosua, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and La Romana) and trust me when I tell you that this resort was by far the best and my favorite. As people have said the beach isn't the sparkly white-sand u would find in Cuba or Punta Cana but it is in a bay so @ least you don't have to deal with massive waves or current and besides.....this place has 8 pools, 2 of which have swim-up bars...need I say more? ;-)

The staff are incredible, the 24 hour food is great and the drinks...well you tend to forget when you drink from 8am-4am LOL, A friendly smile and a couple of bucks go a long way here....for my fellow Canadians who have ever had "VIP" bottle-service in a club and paid $100+ for the luxury, guess what....the disco on this resort has a sexy, all white leather VIP area sitting a level up from everyone else and chained off with your own private "butler".....but here's the clincher - you can get it for 8 BUCKS A BOTTLE and still bring your free drinks up with you! :-D

So rest easy.....If you are the type of person who enjoys relaxation, sunshine, having a good time, partying and NO SNOW, I guarantee that you will have a great time here :-). We brought red cups and ping pong balls and set up a Beer Pong tournament…we were the life of the resort!! LOL

Know this though....this resort is set in the side of a hill so there are about 4 or 5 levels to it with about a dozen stairs between so I wouldn't recommend it for individuals with mobility issues. Other than that....perfect!

Feel free to poke me for info or pics....I have added some to “Be Live Grand Carey”.

Have fun and enjoy the beautiful DR!

André

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
20 Thank Dre613

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
mrsalleyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Not much to say, everything about this place was A-Maze-Ing!!

Room Tip: Book a Suite its worth it
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank mrsalleyne
Hialeah, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

There are pros and cons to staying in an all inclusive resort. I stayed with my boyfriend for 7 nights in July in their Junior Suite with an Ocean View for our 2 year anniversary. The room was very spacious and very beautiful. It was newly renovated and had a very contemporary feel. We booked directly with the hotel and the pricing was just right for our budget. The pros to staying in this all inclusive resort are that the food is included and there are activities throughout the day by their very funny enetertainment team. The cons really sum up to your stay not being personal. I work for a Small Luxury Hotel in Miami Beach as a Reservations Agent and we are all about making your stay personal and special (especially for the price you pay). My boyfriend called the hotel directly to see if there is anything special that can be done for our anniversary as advertised on their website, but they told him that nothing can be done for the occassion. A fruit plate with a congratulations would have been nice, but apparently they did not offer that. Check-in time was at 3pm and when we got there at 4pm the room was not ready until 5pm. I did not want something like that to bother me during my stay, therefore I let that slide. When we get to our room, the bed was broken. The next day we had them fix it and everything was fine. We made reservations for the different restaurants for the rest of our stay in order to secure our spots. On the 3rd day of our stay, my boyfriend got extremely sick with high fever and terrible stomach aches. It was his first time in the country, therefore I am sure that he was not used to the food. I am from there and I did not get sick, thankfully. On the fourth night, my boyfriend was red with fever and shivering, therefore I decided to call the doctor that they have on property 24 hours. I spoke to a Front Desk Agent at 11pm and the doctor did not show up until 3am after several calls. When the doctor arrived, I asked why it took so long and he said he was never informed. That was unacceptable. They do not have room service, therefore I had to go to get food in their dining room. There were no "To Go" boxes, however they provided me with paper plates. Very hesitant to give me those paper plates because food is not permitted in the room, as I was told on more than one occassion. The doctor was great! We got periodic calls from him checking up on my boyfriend. I wish I knew his name to give him a mention. When my boyfriend was better, we decided to go to one of the restaurants we had booked. When we arrived to the restaurant, we are told that we do not have a reservation and cannot stay to eat. We were also told that all of our reservations were made for the same day. That was the last straw. I went to the front desk and there was no manager to speak to because it was already 7pm. They called the manager and had him work it out so that we can eat at the restaurant that night as it was their mistake in the first place. To sum everything up, we had to ask for service about 5 times the day before we left. We also got a champagne and fruit amenity on that day. A nice gesture, however I was not sure why they couldn't have done that with a simple "Happy Anniversary" note on it.

I apologize that this is so long. The property can be amazing and beautiful, but it can be easily overshadowed by terrible service. When we spoke with a manager, I mentioned everything that I wrote above and more, but all that he picked up on was that we did not have our reservation for the restaurant. I am also Dominican and I spoke to him in spanish. He should have understood every word that I said. Upon check-out I spoke with Guest Services and she just looked at me and asked "What do you want us to do? You already checked out". I would have loved at least for them to waive the $100 medical fee or maybe one night waived. The best would have been an apology. They have to understand that some of us only get 1 vacation a year, if that. We go to these places in order to relax. That was the LAST thing I was able to do. Definitely not returning.

Room Tip: Sea View Junior Suite
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank julissa2652
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

My family and I where scheduled to stay at this resort from September 8 to September 15. We booked through red tag (Paula, my rep was incredible!!!), and the trip was being conducted through Nolitours. Piece of advice, NEVER book with them...don't WASTE your money on them because they will take your money and offer you only a subpar trip.

The Carey has been renamed to the Ambar, and for those lucky enough to get to spend your entire vacation there, you will love it!!! I only got to spend a day and a half there and I had fallen in love with it...Such a gorgeous resort.

The pools were unbelievable!!! With seven you never felt crowded, and pretty much every group had an area to themselves. Every staff member you met had a smile on their face. The bartenders at the pool bar where incredible, and wizards at making some really amazing drinks. We had a standard room, and ended up having to change because our TV, fridge and hot water didn't work, and I had blood on my sheets. The night manager Santos who personally took us to change rooms was amazing...that man deserves a raise for what he has to put up with.

Our Nolitours rep lied to our faces. He said the hotel was closing, and they didn't know this until early Friday morning (we had our orientation Friday morning at 9am). In truth, the hotel is actually taking reservations for December (I just went and checked on redtag) under the same name, with the same tour operator, and the same flight path...but it closed??? Our rep also told us that at the new hotel they were transferring us too, we'd be upgraded to Deluxe Superior rooms...basically this was the same as a standard room at the Ambar, just given a fancier name to make people believe they were being given some sort of added benefit. Look at what each room offers...its the exact same.

This trip was to celebrate my parent's 20th wedding anniversary, and they weren't able to have a relaxing vacation at all. I spent a year researching this hotel, so I was in tears when I found out just how bad the other hotel was compared to this.

The hotel in general for the time I spent there was absolutely beautiful, and if you get the chance to go, I highly recommend you do. I gave it such a bad rating because Nolitours is the only tour operator that goes there, and they will soon ruin what is a beautiful resort. Please heed my warning and go else where if it means avoiding them as a company.

Room Tip: Do NOT book with Nolitours if you can find another operator that goes here and you'll have an am...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Auntie-Christy
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

I had a great time with my family. The service was horrible as well as the food. The staff were veryy hard workers. The beach was alright, the pools were amazing. The drinks at the bar were watery and no flavor. They served the same food for 2 weeks straight boringggggg and ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... The rooms were veryyy niceeeee. The maids cleaned the rooms very well and we had expensice items around and they didnt even bother to touch which is very good. The performes for the theater were very funny. I met some really ice workers and I still keep in contact with them :)..... The service in the front desk was horrible and there was a perv workiing at the receptiones who wanted to come to our room and god knows what we wanted to do. We had a beautiful view........... Joan the photografo was veryy fun and always made us laughhh he learned albanian and I mss him. OMG ceaser the main manager of the hotel was sooooo hottttttttttttt..... Change the food up and the service should be quickerrrrr.....I would nott gooo backkkkkk, on saturdays and sundays alot of local people would come and get drunk and I felt sooooo unsafeeeeeeeeeeee................. Take my advice dontt gooooo

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ashley556
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

So we, my friend and I, went to Puerto Plata right smack in the wrath of Hurricane Irene. Needless to say, she messed up everything. We ended up being stranded for 5 extra days in Be Live Grand Carey, but the people there made things enjoyable. They helped us to make the best of a bad situation.
When we first arrived, we were not impressed. The pictures of the rooms and such were misleading. We got a room that was mediocre, the bath tub clogged up after every use, the air conditioner leaked, etc, etc. We complained and was Carlos at the front desk upgraded to a junior suite which was more visually appealing (thanks Carlos, it made our stay more comfortable).
We were supposed to leave on Aug 27th which was when JFK in NYC closed and our flight was cancelled. We were very upset and went to guest services where Derling Martinez allowed us to use the phone and internet as much as we wanted to try to get another flight and book the room for more time. He was very compassionate and sincere.
After we booked the room for another 5 days, we decided to let loose again that then the fun began. We found many bartenders who made awesome drinks and were very nice, Daniel Toribio, Gerald, Jonathon from the beach bar thanks for everything. They really treated us nice and gave incredible service. My favorite bartender was Daniel. When he asked what i wanted, I would say, "surprise me". He would always come back with the most delicious drinks!!! Thanks Daniel for always keeping me with a daily buzz :)
Be Live has 7 pools which are really nice- Beware though on the weekends, the locals flood the gates and it is soooo soooo packer everywhere. Friday, Saturdays and Sundays are the worst there. Back to the pools- they have many pools with water falls which are very beautiful. The pool on the same level as the buffet is very deep- maybe ten feet. At night the place is illuminated and it truely is a spectacle. Beautiful.
On to the food. I would say to chose carefully. I ate one piece of sausage and was sick for five days. The funny thing though is that when the staff would ask me what was wrong because they always were so friendly and said hello, how are you today? I told them that my stomach hurts and they said go get a BOMBA. I thought it was a pill or something. They said to go to the bar and ask for it. The BOMBA is a concoction the bartenders made with lime an some other stuff that ended up tasting like alkerselter. After four Bombas i was cured. I lost my appetite though and lost 5 pounds on the trip which was good for me in the end. Onto the resturants, the Brazilian was THE BEST. The food was awesome. We didnt bother with the Mexican or the Asian. The only thing is that the every resturant is open on select nights so book as soon as you get there. You need to book before 12 or 1pm at guest services.
The nightly entertainment varied. Sometimes it was incredible and sometimes I just wanted to give them an E for Effort.
There were so many friendly exchanges between me the staff- like Yurison, he transported the guests to their rooms with luggage and so forth. One day we rented a car and we asked him where we could exchange money for US currency. He said that we should wait until he gets off of work and he would go with us. At 3om when he got off of work he esorted us in or rented car. We wouldve never found this place. BEWARE- only drive in DR if you absolutely need to. No one obeys traffic lights or stop signs, they dont always drive on the correct side of the road and everyone has a scooter and sometimes there are like 5 ppl on one scooter. The scooters dart out of street with out warning OMG very very scary. Be careful if you go down this road literally. Any hoo once we got there he walked in with us told them what we wanted and we got our money exchanged. I gave him 10 dollars for his kindness. He turned around and asked us if we wanted something to drink. He used the same 10 dollars to buy us drinks. I thought that was so nice. The list actually went on and on. They were so kind and hospitable that it made me want to be nicer when I came back to NYC. I have been so they actually influenced me in a positive way.
We were complaining so much about the food and the room and they kept on being so nice and we ended having so much fun. We always joked that they were trying to make us not write a bad review. The truth is though that the resort is beautiful, but some things could be fixed like the quality of the food. It was the entire staff at Be Live Grand Carey that made this vacation so enjoyable even after the stress of Hurrican Irene. Words cannot express how grateful I am to them. So thanks to Frank Santos for your kindness and readiness to assist, Thanks Nathanel for helping us when we went to the airport and realized that our flight was cancelled for assuring us that we could come back to the hotel and for sending us a cab to pick us up. Thanks to Derling Martinez for all your assistance and patience. Thanks Yurison for all the rides and for your kindness. Thank to Jonathon for the best Domincan Sunrises (yummy). Thanks to the whole entertainment crew, you guys were great (especially on karoeke night) Rambo, Tony MOntana and the other guy (sorry cant remember your name). I heard that the hotel closed now though which is sad to hear. I also heard that it might reopen in December 2011. I implore you the big guy, head hancho please give these people back their jobs. They work really hard and gave me some wonderful memories to take back with me to NYC.

Room Tip: Make sure to get the best room they have otherwise you may be stuck with a tv that has no cable chan...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jeanelle R
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is the definitely the worst 4+ resort we have been too!!! I would never go back there not even if they would pay me to do so ! Yes, the pools/grounds and the beach are nice and well kept but everything else is a disaster !
After having problems with our rooms ( and 3 days of complaining ) …the management upgraded us to the Junior Suite. Yes, it’s a big beautiful room..however, the beds are the worst ever.. the mattress is as thin as a foil !!! And the smell (the paint ???) in these rooms is disgusting ! Yes, the view is nice.. but we have seen much better having had at the same time nice beds so we can rest @ night !
The food is bad / the liquor is super bad ! For the whole week we were there we have not been able to drink one Mojito….according to the bartenders they do not have the “staff” to make it!!!! Nor the interest to make it !
The only okay restaurant is the Brazilian if you are a meat fest lover !
Entertainment... none to speak off !!!
Locals….they just take over the hotel from Friday to Sunday!! Like it's been said by other travelers ...it's 100% true ..you have to fight your way everywhere !!! It’s not their fault…it’s the hotel’s ..running the same facilities when the hotel is @ 25% capacity and maybe @ 90% capacity when the locals arrive and all hell breaks loose !!!!! The hotel / management is cheap / cheap and stingy !!! They want to make money without offering any value / service in exchange !!!!!!
I will never / ever go back there or to any of the Be Live hotels !!! Never !!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends