“Definite 4 star for the frist 5 days, 1 star for the last 2 days.”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Fredericton
“Definite 4 star for the frist 5 days, 1 star for the last 2 days.”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

After the first 5 days of our trip I would probably not have written a review as I would have been echoing all other recent reviews for this resort: Great resort, very clean, decent food, good a la cartes, great pools, good service, decent beach, etc. That all changed very abruptly during our last two days on the resort when 1300 locals (primarily from Santiago) descended on the resort for the weekend. The resort went from about 15% full to capacity and we found out from the staff that the resort had sold an additional 200 day passes for the weekend. I want to be clear thatI am not saying that I was upset because the resort sold out their rooms because that is their right and had the resort planned for their arrival things would have been different, but it seemed as though they changed nothing about the way they operated. That meant that the buffets were overrun with people to the point where we could not get food one day for lunch and had nothing but croissants for breakfast the next day. The pools were also overrun to the point where you couldn't swim (not to mention the dirty diapers floating around one of the pools). It also took the better part of 30 minutes to get a drink at the bar. The adult pool was not enforced and was just as busy with kids as the other pools. There was no shade to be found on the resort and if you were up early enough to get an umbrella but left it alone for any length of time your chair would be moved and the umbrella taken. After talking to some staff members on the resort we found out that the resort started selling these packages to supplement their ooperating costs because they are still pretty slow with week long all inclusive packages. They are also doing the same thing at the Be Live Grand Marien (I found out from someone on the flight home who I was speaking with). This is very unfortunate because it was a great resort the first five days of our trip. If they limited the number of people they sold packages to I don't think it would be as big an issue or made accomodations for the people who paid for a week long package so that they were able to enjoy the package they paid for. I will say that after much complaining later in the afternoon on Sunday the hotel staff made available the spa area pool for the week long guests, but it was too little way too late. I would not recommend this resort to anyone regardless of the deal they got. I have attached two pictures of the buffet that show how busy it was. At the pizza station the line would never dissipate because the people that made it to the front would simply wait for another pizza to come out then eat it while they stood there waiting for the next one. I wish I had taken a picture of the pool because it was an absolute zoo.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank UNBStudent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Elmira, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My Wife & I stayed at the Be Live Ambar Puerto Plata April 9th to 16th. This was our 16th time to the Dominican, 4th to Puerto Plata. All our stays have been 4 1/2 star or better. We found the resort to be one of the best we have stayed at in Puerto Plata. The new buildings over look the pool closest to the Ocean, very large & modern. Our room was more traditional, overlooking the Spa. The bed was top notch, fridge filled every day and lots of towels.
The resort has six pools that we found, two with swim up bars, all well maintained. The beach pool has a bar right along side the pool, drinks were of good quality.
The beach was raked every morning, fine for swimming, it's not white sand like Punta Cana but still very nice.
The Brazilian steak house was brilliant, Orential & Mexican quite good as well. The buffet had a good choice with a different theme every night including Lobster!
The staff were very pleasent and always asking if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. Frank the Hotel Manager went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed our vacation.
The hotel is hard to find on trip advisor, I found it under BE LIVE CAREY. Once this hotel starts to get more exposure I'm sure the price will go up.
The only thing I could say was a negative was the resort was running at about 20% capacity, it was great if you wanted a quiet time, we managed to find several Canadians to hang out with. Additionaly, as the hotel is built on a mountain side there are a lot of walkways with steps, not an issue if you can handle going up one level at home. The stairs are no more that 12 or so then a walkway and so on. BUT...talk about beautiful views, like nowhere we have ever stayed. WE WILL BE RETURNING!

Room Tip: Ask for a complimentry room upgrade
4 Thank Workingtotravel96
Huntington, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed at Be Live Carey for 5 nights in the middle of April as a couple in our mid to late 20’s. Overall we had a very good time, with more good, than bad things to say. Weather was really nice most of the time which always helps! Here is our take on the resort and our experience:

Booking: We booked on Orbitz many months in advance and got a really good deal out of Newark Airport. We got direct flights to Puerto Plata on Continental, which we will only do from now on, connecting flights are the worst!
To/From airport in Puerto Plata: We paid ahead of time on Orbitz to get the round trip transportation for $40 per person. This was totally worth it as we had no problems once we arrived at the airport and when we had to go home. The company was called “Cocotours” and I would recommend them.
Check in/ Rooms: We arrived late afternoon and right away we were greeted by several nice people. Through Orbitz we booked a standard King room, which we heard were OK. However, when we got there, the manager (Frank I believe) offered us an upgrade to a “Junior Suite” for $30 per night, which I got down to $25! Having read multiple reviews on these rooms, we jumped on it. They zipped us down to our suite on a golf cart and when we got to the room, we realized it was worth every penny for the upgrade! Like one reviewer posted before, it really made the trip. We were on the third floor, room 41310, which was overlooking the pools and beach and perfectly placed on the end of the building. Amazing location! These rooms are brand new with an awesome balcony, very spacious, flat screen TV with a lot of channels, fridge, great lighting, dual sinks, Jacuzzi tub and a shower the size of a small bathroom! Loved the location, balcony, space and shower the most. Pressure and temperature were both good. The fridge was small and was stuck on freezing cold, icing stuff up. They give you two beers, two waters and two sprites a day. Left them a couple of bucks and they double it. OK, the bed was not the best, not very comfortable but we dealt with it. The walls of this building were extremely thin – we could hear the family next to us loud and clear. A safe key is $3 a day, which is odd. You can pay $4 for 15 minutes of Internet time in the small computer room by the front desk – we only used this to quickly check email. There is no wireless in the rooms. Never got to see a standard room, which was fine with us.

Grounds/Pools/Beach: The place is huge and confusing at first. However, within the first day we got the lay of the land. It is very clean and well kept, with tons of employees taking care of stuff everywhere you look. Every bathroom I saw was spotless and huge. We did get a whiff of sewage at some points, but only once or twice and it passed. There are 7 pools, however, the spa pool is not free and spa services are very expensive. Unless you have kids I would only focus on the two pools by the beach and by far our favorite was the pool on the top deck by the main lobby. It was huge, beautiful, not crowded, great view and had an awesome swim up bar. It was basically our second home! Because the resort was not crowded it was always easy to get a beach/ pool chair. Not going to lie there were a lot of stairs to contend with, but we made a joke about it and sucked it up, not a big deal. The beach was pretty big with many chairs and places to chill. The sand is definitely not white, more tan like the states, but beautiful nonetheless. There is a great bar right on the beach and by the two bottom pools (Melvin was funny and generous with the liquor), that is also where they have breakfast and snacks, so we found ourselves down there a lot. We found the beach DJ to be a little annoying always trying to rally people and blasting Reggaeton type stuff too much. Just give me some Marley and call it a day. There was beach volleyball and other beach activities though, which people seemed to enjoy. Overall, Beach and pools were nice.

Bars/Drinks: The bars were good and most of the bartenders were friendly. We tipped a decent amount which always helped, but not necessary. We have been to other all- inclusives where employees seemed ambivalent about tips, but here they are obviously appreciated and get you far. One thing we did not love was that half of the bar was a cash bar. The only free stuff was “no name” liquor; wine, El Presidente beer and the frozen drinks were good and included as well. However, there was always absolute, baileys, Jamison, etc, staring you in the face, but at a cost. The freshly ground, made to order coffee at the bar was very good. You could get decent included wine at dinner, but they would also throw a wine menu in your face, which was not cheap. We stayed away.

Food: The food is average, which I hate to say because the food service people were very nice and seemed to take pride in their food. Shout out to our boy Ronal, who worked every single different place and always took care of us! The restaurants are very appealing, spacious and clean. Perhaps we are jaded New Yorkers, but we only liked some of the stuff. The breakfast buffet grew on us, and we discovered that you could order from a menu as well as the buffet. Honestly the menu omelets were good. The mid day snack buffet was sort of fun, once we had a little buzz going on. They always had a diverse menu. The dinner buffet was not very good. There are 3 Al-a-carts. The Mexican was OK, Brazilian was good, and the Asian was the worst. I guess you get what you pay for. We had two meals outside the resort. The restaurant at Ocean World called Poseidon was good, but pricey. Ocean World also has a casino that we peeked at (very small). We took a free shuttle to and from Ocean World. And our little secret gem is a tiny little Cantina called Desperados, right on the beach and street adjacent from the Be Live Beach. So good, authentic and affordable. There is also a great gift store next to it – much better prices than the gift stores at Be Live.

White Shirts: White shirts = Annoying! They are employees of the Lifestyle Vacation Club and their end game is for you to get a time share or become a “member”. They want to take you on a “tour”. We never even gave them the time of day, so I am not sure exactly how they are affiliated with Be Live or what their deal is. They hawk you as you go into and leave the breakfast and lunch buffets. They stand at strategic points around the resort that makes them difficult to avoid (we tried walking around them). Typically they will approach you as if they are trying to strike up a friendly conversation. After about two days of ignoring them, they sort of got the memo. One guy chased us on his golf cart and I had to tell him no 2 to 3 times. It was comical. Bottom line is just say no and move on unless you want to tour their properties and become a “member”.
Overall: For the price, this place is great, especially if you get an ocean view suite. The place was pretty quiet when we were there, way less than half capacity, so maybe that is why we got such a great room at that rate. The worst things were the bed, food and White shirts. The best things were the room, balcony, service, cleanliness, pools, beach, and price. I would recommend this place and feel free to message me with any questions.

11 Thank cormac78
North Sydney, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Had a wonderful stay at Belive Grand Carey,which is a gem of a resort, nestled between Mount Isabella De Torres, and cofresi beach.. We were a group of two couples. I don't normally believe reviews that are very good, or very bad, I usually believe something in the middle, but I was very impressed with Belive Carey. Our rooms were in the new section, on the beach, and were fabulous. The food was excellent,mostly ate in the buffet, but did try the brazilian a la carte, which was also very good. Entertainment was great, hilarious at times, those guys work long hours and really do a great job !We were very impressed with all of the staff, from the beach cleaners, right on up to the "bosses", everyone stopped us and asked if we were having a good vacation and if they could do anything for us. The lovely lady in Guest services was exceptionally good to us. The room was beautiful, and kept spotless, the 7 pools were well maintained, the bartenders always had a friendly smile and were fast and professional. The front desk staff were courteous, and always friendly and helpful. There are a lot of stairs on the resort, but if you don't want to climb them, (or can't), the little golf carts are only a phone call away, and are very prompt when called. All in all, it was a great place to stay, and well worth going back !

3 Thank snookems
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2011

just back april 18. great resort,clean,good food,nice beach,stayed in jr suite rite on the beach next to pool,beach bar & grill. best thing about this resort is the staff , couldnt do enought for us ( esp. guest services) will go back again.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank stan12356
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I travelled a lot in Puerto Plata for the next few month and this hotel is by far the best hotel in town. My husband and I visited a few resorts of our wedding and we agree that the Be Live Carey was really the best choice for this special day. We were 18 Canadians (from 25 to 60 years old) that stayed at the hotel, some of them never travel before, other travel a lot in the Carabeeans and everyone loved their stay.
The service and the amenities are perfect. I never saw an hotel as clean as this one, the room, the pools,the restaurants, all bathrooms on site are well clean. The buffet has a huge variety and it changed every day. The spa is incredible, they offer plenty of service and it is very professional. The hotel staff is friendly and polite, they all work very hard to make our stay unforgettable.
A special thanks to Ramona Monte, her assistante and Danitza for their incredible work on our wedding. I also want to thanks the bellboy for all the assistance they give to my brother who's physically impaired. The resort has a lot of stairs but we always have someone to assit him. My parents celebrate their 35 anniversary and they receive special treats as well. This hotel and his staff will do all they can to make your journey in the Dominican Republic the best you'd ever had. We will be back at the Be Live Carey and I recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Stephanie T
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 15, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 1 week stay at Be Live Grand Ambar. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but there are a number of things that were lacking which we hope will be fixed as the resort establishes itself.

Check In:
We arrived at the resort around 10PM and were greeted by a very friendly and enthusiastic man at the lobby who we later learned was the general manager. He checked us in and told us that we will be staying at room 41313 which is an updated oceanview junior suite that we booked and requested through an email sent to the hotel a week and a half before our arrival. We were then informed that we can get late night snacks at the snack bar which is very close to our room. We were then driven to our room in a golf cart by a bellhop who brought all our luggages up and set up the AC. After getting settled, we walked to the snack bar and found it closed. We walked all the way back to our room, called front desk to ask where we can get something to eat at this time. We were then told that we could go to the buffet. So we went all the way up to the top level, not knowing where the buffet was at that time and found food at Brazilian restaurant instead...snacks were being served there and not at the buffet. We also picked up a lock and key for the safe that night. it cost us $21 for the week.

Room:
The updated junior suite is really impressive. It's big, felt open and nicely furnished. There's even Christmas lights under the bed, which i liked. I didn't find the bed as bad as some others reviewers did. It's true that it is only a mattress, no box frame underneath, so it does dip when you toss and turn. I didn't have any problems with the pillows since i like really firm ones. So if firm pillows are not your preference, there are only 2 fluffy pillows on the bed. We didn't have any problems with the motion detector for the electricity, except the AC didn't turn on at all for about 2 days straight. The room was still cool though so it didn't bother us too much. The bathroom is very nice! No troubles with the water temperature, but there was often a foul smell that came from the toilet. The view from the balcony is beautiful!

Resort Grounds & Pools:
The resort is beautiful. It was always being cleaned. The stairs are really not as bad as we were expecting from what we've read. They do get me out of breath and we always planned our days so that we would not have to go up the stairs more than 2 times a day.

An interesting thing happened while we were there. We woke up one day to helicopters flying right above the resort. On our way to lunch, we found an official looking man in a suit who stopped us and told us that we couldn't go in the direction we were headed because the president of Dominican Republic was at the resort and was heading our way. We were told to take another route. So we walked over to a map to see what route to take. Then we heard some men calling out to us and noticed that a large group of people were coming down the stairs followed by what looked like a mob of paparazzi. In short, we were chased by the president's security staff away from the president. Very random and weird, but we just laughed about it later on. We're still not sure what the president was doing there that day, but it may have been a conference or something as there were a lot of people dressed in business attire in the resort that day.

The day that the president was at the resort was the only day that we saw all the nice waterfalls at the pools fully operational. On any other day, the waterfalls were not running which was really unfortunate because they look really nice. We favoured the beach pool and used that one everyday. Any other pool just felt too deserted and/or exposed. the beach pool was were most of the people were, it's has a view of the beach and was extremely close to our room.

Spa:
We did the special offer that we saw advertised at the lobby. it was $120 for a 60-minute aromatherapy couples massage. The massage was great and the spa pool was nice to swim in.

Food:
The food was really nothing special. We've had better at cheaper, lower-ranking resorts. Any beef dish was always very tough. Beef is just not good at this resort. We tried both the asian and mexican restaurant and didn't find anything special from either. we really wanted to try the Brazilian since we heard it's the best one, but when we went up to make a reservation, we were told that they were full. I still don't understand how they can be full since the resort was only about 10-15% capacity when we were there. And I dislike the fact that you had to make a la carte reservations the day of. You can't book all your dinners for the week. There is, by the way, a limit of 3 a la carte dinners per week. The best meal we had was at the mexican theme night at the buffet. We went to the snack bar several times when we didn't want to venture all the way up to the buffet during the day. The buffet at the snack bar was often empty of the meat dishes. So we often ended up ordering from the menu. They don't tell you that there is a menu. It almost felt like a secret some people knew and it felt awkward asking for it the first time since we were so unsure if they even had it and only knew about it from reading reviews. but they do have it so just ask if the choices at the buffet tables is not to your liking. There's about 7-8 choices, but my favourite is the fish and chips.

The day before we left, we were notified on our way up to lunch that the buffet restaurant will now open for dinner only and that lunch and breakfast will be served at the mexican restaurant/snack bar. This may have been due to the low occupancy level at the time we were there, so it's understandable. It would have been nice to have been properly notified of this maybe the night before. But instead we were climbing up the stairs before one of the staff members told us about it.

Service:
This is where I feel the resort really needs to make some improvements. There is absolutely no drink service at any of the pools nor at the bars. You always had to get up and get them yourself. I know it can be argued that you should just get up and get it, but having drink service at the pool, beach or at the bars is a nice touch that other resorts have and we really missed during our stay. There is also no drink service at the buffet restaurant unless you're having wine or water. Those two are the only ones they actually serve at your table. Any other soft drink or juices, you had to get yourself.

Maid service at the room is also not the best we've had. she only really made the bed, brought in fresh towels and put in extra rolls of toilet paper. she didn't clean the floors and didn't even pick up empty bottles of water and cans of pop some days.

Nightly Entertainment:
Can't really comment on this since the one time we tried to watch a show, we ended up walking out. From what little we saw, it was really nothing special.

Lifestyle Resorts reps:
The sales reps came up to us a total of 3 times during the whole week. they usually wait outside of the buffet restaurants or by the beach pool. We just said no in a friendly but firm manner and they left us alone after 2-3 minutes of trying to get us to take the tour. It wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.

Tips for Men:

My husband just wants me to add that the resort is big-man friendly in terms of chairs, except perhaps the ones at the Asian restaurant. We also asked if there's a dress code at the buffet and were told that long pants and closed shoes for men. When we got there, most of the men were in shorts and sandals. So my husband just wore shorts for the rest of our stay, even to the a la carte restaurants.

All in all, the beautiful updated oceanview junior suite really made our stay. If we didn't have that, i would have rated this resort much lower. I don't think we will be returning, and unless i hear of dramatic improvements in the service and food at this resort, I will not be recommending it.

1 Thank Raichelle