“The most wonderful vacation ever”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Playa Grande

Hotel Playa Grande
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
A TripAdvisor Member
“The most wonderful vacation ever”
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Talk about a totally relaxing vacation. We went as a family. The children totally had fun. Could hardly get my son out of the games room, he's a red head so the shade was most most welcomed. The people there were great. The daily routines of entertainment were great but very repetitive, we still enjoyed how they managed to get people involved. We didn't visit the dico, too tired at the end of the day. My children participated in the evening shows, amazed me as they are both quite shy. We all met people from various parts of the world. The rooms were always emaculate.the food I loved, omelettes were the best I've had. I know a lot of people said the variety wasn't that great, but it was absolutely perfect for us.

The worst part of my vacation was the SaSousa beach trip. Never before have I felt such pressure, I felt like I was being attacked from all sides to purchase something, some people love that stuff, I felt like I never wanted to leave the resort again. I'm a browsing shopper - don't like the high pressure stuff, realize that's how they make their money, but there was not any browsing through the shops.

The beach was absolutely amazing, every day was a red flag day, but it was beautiful.

The pool was perfect, lot of places to relax.

I would most defintely return. This was our first all inclusive resort vacation, already planning for next year.

I will add photo's later.

Stayed March 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2006

I went with my girlfriend for a week in mid january. The food here is pretty good, but not excellent. The room was nice size and clean. I asked for oceanview and got it without paying extra. The free booze was nice, especially because it rained for a couple days straight. As a surfer, it was great to be able to surf whenever I wanted without worrying about traveling far. The waves in winter get big, so those with little kids shouldnt expect to swim in the ocean everyday. Lifeguards rescued a few people while we were there. Also, keep in mind that there is really nothing else around so you just chill at the hotel the whole time. The gold course is supposed to be one of the best in the Carib too. All in all, its a beautiful spot and cheap. I thought it was a great value. I would go back for sure.

• Stayed January 2005
4 Thank jibking23
Toronto
Reviewed April 14, 2006

I just came back from Puerto Plata, DR and even though many people discouraged me from going there and instead recommended Punta Cana I am strongly recommending Puerto Plata!!! The hotel was above average, it certainly isnt The Four Seasons but its no roach motel. The maid service was great-fresh towels, soap, mopped and cleaned the whole room. The beach was BEAUTIFUL!!!! (almost) white sands, beatiful ocean, enough lounge chairs for everyone, easily accessible food and drinks and some cool boogie boards. The resort was very clean and wonderfully designed-pool was clean and big enough for everyone and there were several lounge chairs to go around. The only that was sub-par was the food-this hotel will make McDonalds seem like The Keg but if you can bare the essentials and food isnt the biggest deal than this is your place. If you are going as a couple or as a family or just to catch some rays and lay on the beach then this is the right place. This place is not for SINGLES looking to meet other singles.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank Nader B
Toronto
Reviewed April 13, 2006

We had no problems with theft or weird unauthorized room entries, a few other things went wrong. When we arrived our whole building had no running water for a full day so no brushing teeth or showering after a days travel. Our bathroom light had to be replaced and the t.v. in our room flipped for the whole trip. Luckily we don't spend that much time in our room.

We thought the food was average because we don't eat beef or pork, it was pretty much pasta and salad everyday.

The only other thing we didn't like was the animation team or the "fun club." We had several problems with them approaching me and being inappropriate while I was sitting right next to my boyfriend. We saw them hitting on girls of all ages, with or without boyfriends. The problem started when we would politely decline an invitation to play one of their games and they would get quite aggressive and rude. The bartenders and servers were great.

I find the Dominican people to be extremely welcoming and always wanting to speak and teach you Spanish. Raymundo the beach lifeguard was very nice and always went out of his way to walk across the beach to say hello and teach us a new sentence each day. The Beach dogs are so friendly and don’t beg for food, but just a short term companion. True mans best friend. They are happy just to walk down the beach with you. Although we did sneak them food, as their survival literally depends upon it. Overall we came home relaxed and stress free. However we would not return to Playa Grande, but I think I would recommend it to other people. The Beach is stunning. I think we were just unlucky with our room problems.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Hmacgill

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We would definetley return to this place. Food & drinks were excellent, staff was great, the view was breathtaking. We do not golf, but the course was excellent as some of the people we met went 1-3 times a day. The beach was a beautiful, pleasant 15-20 minute walk. My only complaint was the prices in the lobby stores and there were no post cards or stamps. I will send photos when developed.

6 Thank thewelcher2002
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2006

The Occidental Allegro Playa Grande proved to be more than we had anticipated. The room was very comfortable and immaculately clean. The beach was one of the best we've been to so far. The surroundings, including the golf course were very beautiful. We would definitely go back, and without a doubt, would recommend this property to friends and family. Thank you for a wonderful, relaxing holiday!!

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Jus got back on the 20th(13-20) I travelled with my fam and had an awsome time. There were lots of people there, mostly canadian, some german, some american and some french. Lots of great people made a lot a friends and had a fun time. The beach was amazing, even though the ocean was rough, we got a few yellow and green flags that week, so it was all good. The staff is nice and friendly, and the entertainment was alright. The food was pretty good, i had no problems with it, never got tired of the pasta. All in all it was a pretty good vacation, better than i expected.
need anything, email me.

#3 of 24 in Puerto Plata
ApartHotel Costambar
ApartHotel Costambar
#2 of 15 in Puerto Plata

Been to Hotel Playa Grande? Share your experiences!