“Amazing!!!”

Mares Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #4 of 120 Restaurants in Puerto Plata
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual & elegant. Creative cuisine with local fusion of products, one of the best chefs of the Dominican Republic, Rafael Vasquez. Situated in a private tropical garden, pool side bar and terrace, air condictioned indoor dining area, wine cellar, a local favorite spot, and a place you will remember.
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Amazing service. Amazing atmosphere. Amazing food. A total gem in the area. A truly unforgettable dining experience.

There are newer reviews for Mares Restaurant & Lounge

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was lucky enough to have selected my favorite restaurants for my wedding venues. This was no exception Mares hosted my intimate rehearsal dinner. The set up was great with help from my coordinator the band helped us make sure the ambience was perfect. Apart from the the most important part is the food. The Chef was able to bring together 2 different worlds and make a 3 course meal to please both the bride and groom and of course all of the guests. Thank you for hosting my rehearsal dinner and I hope that others can experience the same!!!

1  Thank melissa a
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We expected much more from Mares based on the reviews but when the photo of the chef on the website is of him in his chef's coat submerged in water up to his chest in the pool, I guess we should have known better. There was a server and a bartender working the night that we went and even though we were one of three tables there, the server dropped an amuse-bouche for us without explanation. We tried to stop him to ask given my husband has a nut allergy, which seemed a difficult concept to grasp at every restaurant we went to...even in Spanish, and he said he'd be back but never returned. It never really improved from there. The food was bland, in my opinion, and the restaurant is located in a residential neighborhood where, when we there, one of the neighbors had their music blasting from their amplified car stereo system.

2  Thank aetienne1
RRVH, Owner at Mares Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

You must have a on and off day, since you arrive to our restaurant, fitting with you husband, we are very sorry that you have that expirient we us, I will recomend if you have a day like that don't go out is better to stay home or in you room in the hotel, Question what a picture have to do, regarding to the quality of the service or food in a restaurant, creative is a sing that you are a life, and life is beautifull , i don have much to responde sorry. change the spectation in life and everything will smile to you, and one day you will thing that litle place in puerto plata call Mares made my life better thanks.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We chose this restaurant based on TripAdvisor reviews after our first choice was booked that evening. What a great find! The restaurant was not crowded and we were the only table to sit outside overlooking the pool and it was like having our own private dinner. The service was excellent and the prices were reasonable. Food was great and we left stuffed! The appetizers are tasty and of generous portions - the beet salad and plantain sushi roll were both excellent choices. Wait staff was very attentive - overall a great experience!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were recommended to try this restaurant by the rep at our hotel Vicki. We were not disappointed. The food was outstanding. We were looking for somewhere special to go to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we were delighted from start to finish. The quality of food served here is 5*. The menu offers seafood, lamb, goat and beef. The food is of a high standard but it is also beautifully cooked and presented. We enjoyed it so much we booked a table and returned the following week. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank MrsS_12