“The best Restaurant in Puerto Plata (Tres Hermanos)”

Los Charros y Los Pinches Chaparros
Ranked #7 of 119 Restaurants in Puerto Plata
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Specializing in fresh homemade, Mexican cuisine, Los Charros’ kitchen is overseen by Juanita Vazquez. Juanita grew up in Acapulco and lived in Mexico City and Cancun. A consummate student of the Mexican tradition, Juanita toured Mexico for 16 years and developed exceptional proficiency with the culture, folklore dances and cooking styles from the Aztec west coast to Mayan east coast of Mexico. She prides herself on the fresh preparation of pre-Columbian and classic Mexican dishes that native Mexicans enjoy; neither too heavy nor over-spiced. For “Americanized” fare, Juanita collaborates with her "Gringo", Timo, a restaurateur with experience at trendy restaurants in Florida, Tennessee and Texas. Together with our island cooks, the Los Charros team guarantees the finest in authentic Mexican cuisine, popular Tex-Mex specialties and local island fare.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have come to Puerto Plata in The D.R many times and a lot of the times I stay at The Tropics Lifestyle resort which is an all inclusive restaurant on the water. I love this hotel because it is very affordable ($12 a night all inclusive deal they throw up once a year) and the service at the hotel is awesome. I work in hotels so service goes a long way in my books. This resort offers about 12 "authentic" restaurants ranging from Mexican to Indian, and they are all pretty good, but this year I brought my two brothers with total opposite palates. My oldest is a carnivore and my middle brother is a life long vegetarian and I am somewhere in the middle lol. After about 6 days at the resort, we were craving something other than the resort food and we took a stroll down the beach. About 50 yards from the resort was a nice little restaurant called Los Charros which we grabbed a menu on the way back to the resort. We decided to eat there for dinner on our second to last night and we couldn't have been more impressed. We walk in as the sun is going down to find a party of 60 people, a majority of them little kids.. We now were not expecting to get the quickest service, but we were fine with this since we were on vacation and had a nice beach to look at. We couldn't have been more wrong. The server got us a table outside away from the party and immediately got a nice thing of chips and salsa... We were so hungry that we just started ordering tacos and burritos and guacamole, etc etc... The food came out in perfect timing and it was all so delicious... Literally made us wish that we were coming there every night even though we were getting FREE food at the Lifestyles resort. The food was really affordable but very fresh and authentic. We were there for a few hours and when it became too dark, they brought us a few candles a couple lights to make sure we were taken care of. Even though our Spanish is MUY MAL, the server was able to understand everything and even though we were ordering things left and right, they got everything correct..... So you would think that is the end of this story... WRONG!! my vegetarian brother left the next morning leaving only us carnivores left and we decided to go back the very next day on our last night for one last amazing meal. AGAIN, we couldn't have been more impressed. We met the owner Tim and his Wife who was the chef and they gave us some nice history of the restaurant, which made us fall in love with the place even more. There is something great about having a connection to the food and restaurants where you eat. It's not just a plate of food, but rather a great experience to remember. My brother and I ordered another few rounds of misc tacos and appetizers and had to sit at the table for a while to let all the food settle cause we stuffed our faces. I know that every time I come back to the lifestyles resort, I will be coming to Los Charros and trying to bring more people. I don't have anything bad to say about the lifestyles resort, but knowing that there is Los Charros next door, makes me very happy that I can get away from the resort to have a really authentic and beautiful meal. Thank you Tim for a great experience and I will definitely be back when I return in November!!

-Max

2  Thank madmaxamer13
There are newer reviews for Los Charros y Los Pinches Chaparros

Reviewed June 19, 2014

My fiance and i went here for a meal last night and the food is amazing. The mexican platter for starters was gorgeous. We had tenderloin steak with pepper sauce and the fillet steak was the best steak i ever had, so tasty. Definately going back here before we go home. Oh and the cocktails are huge and cheap prices. Taxi from riu bachata to here was 1050 pesos :)

2  Thank jules5manchester
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just went to try this restaurant cause some friends recommended it. We didn't like the taste of the food, it was really poor, a lame excuse of Mexican food and it was pricey. We ordered Enchiladas which came with box rice and black beans as side and A variety of tacos. They don't take credit cards either.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have been here several times!!!! Love the food!!!! Lots of vegetarian options :) and a fantastic atmosphere!!!! We have had nothing but incredible experiences here!!! And the owners are very nice, accommodating and friendly!! Will definitely return and recommend to others!!!

2  Thank Cfarley1
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We ate there numerous times during our two week stay in Puerta Plata. The food was wonderful! My husband and I always tried different dishes and they all were delicious! The chefs do a fantastic job of making your meal look just as good as it tastes. Bruni our server was very sweet and fun to talk with. The whole staff was super friendly and always smiling. We definitely recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Lori D