“First Class Operation - Diwa Dominicana!!”
Review of Diwa Dominicana

Diwa Dominicana
Ranked #16 of 42 Tours in Puerto Plata
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba Diving in the Dominican Republic Puerto Plata!We provide quality customer service in English, Spanish and Danish, and above all a very friendly and professional environment.We scuba dive in Puerto Plata and Sosua in the Dominican Republic, it offers ideal conditions for scuba diving and snorkeling, as the bay is relatively calm all year round. Perfect place for beginners and more experienced scuba divers. Only a 20 min drive AWAY.Sosua Bay offers beautiful dive sites, you can enjoy the "Zingara Wreck" at depth 28-36m and the "Tree Rocks" at 10-20m. There are more than 15 different places to dive, offering a wide variety of sites for all scuba divers.We provide dive packages for certified, PADI diving courses, specialty courses, discover scuba diving and snorkeling.
HarleysvillePA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Class Operation - Diwa Dominicana!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Puerto Plata. We had 9 divers on this trip (among the 64 that traveled with us for my daughter's Destination Wedding at Lifestyle Tropical Resort). We made previous arrangements with Diwa for 3 dives for each our 9 divers. Katja and ChiChi were incredible supporting us with our plans. As you could imagine, our plans were fluent and Diwa was very flexible working around our Wedding plans. Communicated via email and text msgs - they were very reliable. Katja arranged for pick up in front of our resort - and she was very prompt. We traveled from our resort to their Dive Shop in Puerto Plata where we loaded up tanks and accessories. From here, we traveled to Sosua for our dives. They took care of everything!! We never had to carry a tank or your gear from the bus to the boat (or from the boat to the bus). ChiChi provided us with a good description of each dive and kept a careful eye on each of us during the dive itself. He was assisted by Jorge and Moses who were also extremely friendly, knowledgable, and friendly. They were very focused on safety and the quality of their equipment (and our personal equipment) which gave us a level of confidence that we were in good hands. Saw lots of marine life and a wide variety of coral as well. Overall, our dive experience was amazing. Katja and ChiChi run a first class operation and I hightly recommend them for your dives in the Puerto Plata area!!! On a side note, I decided to drive a rental car that we had for the week to their dive shop. Big mistake! My wife and I stopped at a grocery store (Tropical) for some snacks and our car was broken into stealing my regulator (bag) and dive computer. Also lost a few other items including our passoports. What a nightmare! Spent the next 2 days at the US Consular Agency and National Police station filling out paperwork. Just beware! If you stay with ChiChi and use his transportation that he provides, you'll be fine. He was great!!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank gvolm

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Diving Experience with DIWA”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Had a great time diving with Diwa for 3 days in May. A friend and I wanted to go with a local dive operator instead of the resort dive center, and we were very pleased with our choice. They arranged transportation to and from our resort, then from their dive shop we drove to Sosua for the dives. The reef dives were better than I expected - lots of beautiful coral and fish. Katja, ChiChi and Jorge were all very friendly, professional, safety conscious, and a lot of fun to dive with! I highly recommend them to everyone. If you are going diving in Puerto Plata, this is the dive company to go with!!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Laurie F
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just returned from my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I had finished the classroom and pool portions at home and wanted to do my Open Water certification somewhere warm. The resort my girlfriend and I were staying at had it's own dive center, but they didn't bother to respond to my e-mails prior to us arriving. Katja at Diwa Dominicana was the opposite, quick to respond with all the information I needed. They included free pickup from our resort, which was much appreciated.

This is a family-run business and has the personal touch. I had packed in a hurry and forgotten all my dive records, but Katja got in touch with my trainers in Toronto so I could still finish my certification.

Chi Chi was a very calm and patient instructor for me. My girlfriend already has her certification, but she had her own divemaster for when I was doing my skills. There were heavy rains in between our two dive days, which forced Chi Chi to find an alternate dive site when our first was washed out. Our "Titanic" boat was quite the adventure!

Saw lots of cool things on the dives: I'm no marine biologist so Chi Chi and the other divemaster pointed out some Lionfish, things that looked like snakes sticking their heads out of the sand, shells with creatures in them, fish that looked liked rocks and some almost invisible jellyfish.

My girlfriend was having trouble clearing her ears, but Chi Chi was patient and had some techniques to help her descend.

Great experience, would not hesitate to dive with Diwa again!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Kevin M
Ottawa, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“You'd be crazy NOT TO dive with Diwa!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I found Diwa, through a friend of a friend of another small diving company in the south of the island and did 2 days of diving with them.

Below, you can see a more detailed review, but I can also save you time and say that if you're in Puerto Plata area and looking to either learn or do some diving I think you'd be ABSOLUTELY NUTS to go with someone else.

Diwa is a small company run by Katja & Chi Chi. As such, diving groups are small (ours was just 4 people!). If you go with resort diving, groups are much much bigger which makes prep much longer and dives shorter.

They are all about safety. Equipment was is in decent shape and Chi Chi and crew were very serious about making sure everything was good when I had a slightly troubled pressure gauge on one of my dives.

Diwa is actually similarly priced to the resort dives, so you get all the benefits for the same price! And Chi Chi and Katja picked us up directly from our resort, just like the resort company would.

Cost of equipment (including wet suits) is included in the dive cost. This can often be a hidden charge.

During the dives, we had some very fun experiences feeding the fish, seeing coral, etc. They know the places.

Also, my fiance took her PADI Open Water course @ Diwa. She never was comfortable in the water before and was VERY worried. At the end, she absolutely loved it. Whats more, I observed how Chi Chi was teaching her and I think he gave her more useful advice than many other instructors would. The fun moment was when Chi Chi figured out that I actually did Open Water course with him some 4+ years earlier when he was an instructor for a big resort diving company!!! I had really good experiences learning from him back then too and in retrospect (after 20+ dives) he had some very good advice for me too.

The only let down was that the government shut down all water activities for Easter and we could only dive with Diwa for 2 days. Next time Diwa, next time!!!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank offlinespace
California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Do not hesitate....Just do it!”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We just returned from the Dominican Republic. Our favorite day by far was diving with Diwa Dominicana!!! We did the Discover Scuba Diving because we wanted to try scuba diving without doing the certs. A few of us were hesitant doing this in the D.R. Due to the reviews, we did it. It was excellent!!! This is a professional crew. Not only did we always feel safe, we all want to get our PADI Certs and continue to dive. No matter what level of diver you are, there is only one outfit to dive with in Puerto Plata!! They are #1 for a reason. Do yourself a favor....just book with Diwa Dominicana!

Visited March 2012