“Great place, great people, disappointed by the room”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Podgorica, Montenegro
“Great place, great people, disappointed by the room”
Reviewed August 12, 2007

My boyfriend and I (both 27) booked this weekend trip (Fri-Sun) through book.it and ordered a more expensive "Standard Plus room" rather than the "Standard room"... What a BAD decision....
The room we got was on the ground floor with terrible tiled flooring indoors that made us basically freeze while we were there. Believe me when I say, I felt as if I was staying in a garage... The room is extremely big, the bathroom really small (who was the architect for this room???)
My suggestion is, once at check in, ASK AND REQUEST a room higher up, with a balcony...This room had no balcony, no gate, nothing...it was open to all passers-by, and I didn't even open the windows while we were there, because of how accessible it was to all the views..I couldn't leave my bathing suit to dry, nothing... Basically, NO PRIVACY.
I was told that this was a "Standard Plus Room" we paid for..although I doubt it... The other rooms cannot be "Standard rooms" (CHEAPER) with nice views and beautiful balconies with chairs and tables.
The housekeeping came both days and we were really happy with the cleanliness of our accommodation. Thumbs up for Ana, our housekeeper!

I have to express my extreme satisfaction with the ANIMATION team. They are amazing..They are so energetic and you will not be bored. We played beach volleyball, water-polo, made sushi in cooking class, played poker with prizes, had a beer-drinking competition...Thumbs up for the animation team! Great job guys!

The food is good. I suppose that when you stay for only 2 days, you can't experience food repetition, as some mentioned in their reviews... I was happy with the choice of food and drink available during the meals. I suggest eating at the main restaurant by the pool all meals... The restaurant available down by the beach carries only a few choices and they do repeat. It's OK if you're hungry during the night, as it's open 24hrs...and the food is freshly prepared.

The bartenders are really great people... Any of the bars you go to you will be really pleased with the service. They are quick and always have a smile on their face. I suggest the pina colada served in the pineapple shell..I drank it at the pool bar (the one inside the pool, not by the pool).. AMAZING!!!

If you're heading to the Blue Bay, enjoy your stay...(just ask for a high room, not ground floor, check with your travel agent and pay a little more if it's needed....It's worthwhile!)

I would return to Blue Bay under the condition of getting a different room.

One more word of advice, if you're booking through bookit.com, the pictures of the rooms show the inside of the villa, not the room you're reserving. The villa is $50 more per person per day...it's not the standard room...

• Liked — animation team, beach, drinks
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tina_esl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
chicago
Reviewed August 11, 2007

best holiday ever already thinking about next year

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank lyndaduffy
Chicago
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We were there from Aug 1 thru 8th. We had a BLAST!! To began the hotel is beautiful, Clean, and makes you feel right at home. The staff is excellente! they are very friendly, always smiling, on top of there job. Now the Animacion Staff ( entertainment ) the are the BEST!! they do and say anything and everything to get you to participate in the games and even for a laugh, they are alway very friendly and willing to joke around with the visitors. They make great shows at night in which they participate at times if not they are dancing around making you laugh. Casanova, Tito, Tony Montana, and Rueben Thanks for making our stay excellent!! Because of you guys we want to go back next year, hope you will still be there We Miss You! . The food was excellent especially the Oriental restaurant and the seafood, the buffet always had a great selection for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The beach is really nice and relaxing there is always someone out there pulling out the lounge chairs and setting them up for you. The beach bar is only a few feet away. All in All we had the time of our lifes! Would go back in a heart beat!

Osvaldo and Evelyna

• Liked — The service, Food, Staff, and Entertainment.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank oze724
London
Reviewed August 10, 2007

This hotel has been recently refurbished and it is beautiful and clean.

The staff are so friendly and the animation guys work all day and evening to entertain the guest and make your holiday a memorable experience.

Upon arrival, you are given a welcome drink and a cold towel, you are seated and given all the information you need and are checked in. This is a nice way to check in after a dreadful 9 hour flight with Monarch!

The food is lovely with fresh salads and meats served every mealtime. The 3 a-la-carte resturants are nice; the grill, chinese and seafood which each guest allowed one visit to each per week.

The beach was nice, there was a 24hour snack bar on the beach and the barman would come out to you to bring you your drinks.

There are four poster beds on the beach - free of charge and my partner had a massage out there - AMAZING!

The people are nice and the gated complex consist of 15 hotels, a plaza that is EXTORTIONATE! £4 for a pack of pringles? There is a cinema, pizza hut, some nightclubs.

We paid £400 for a week and it was an absolute bargain.

Would go back and now want to visit other parts of the Caribbean!

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — Having to go home
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank xtremely_bubblicious
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband & I returned from a weeks stay at Blue Bay on the 26th July and I can say without doubt that it was the best holiday we have ever been on, and we have been on Carribean holidays before. We will definitely be back. The hotel and staff are exceptional - the Animacion team are the friendliest, most hard working bunch of guys you could meet and went out of their way to make you feel included & welcome. The resort is fantastic - plenty of activities to keep you occupied or if you prefer to relax and get away from everything you have that option by the spa area. The selection of food is great - we always found something we liked and the drink is plentiful (I would recommend the Pina Colada!). If you have any reservations about booking this resort - don't! You will not be let down. Big 'hola' to all the Animacion team - we miss you. If you are heading to Blue Bay, enjoy!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 4everholidaying
Croydon, England
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at Blue Bay from 16th July to 31st July 2007. We have been back a week now and were missing the place!

We had a great holiday over the 2 weeks and had some great experiences.

Firstly, its hot! Damn hot! We left our air conditioning on in our room 24/7 so the room was absolutely freezing which was a god send if you have been out in the sun all day!

Ok, down to the brass tacks! As other people have said, the hotel is lovely, most of the staff (not all) are friendly and attentive. The animation team are spot on and a great laugh. Big shouts to Skinny, Casanova, Reuben, Tito, Tony Montana, Sexy Robert and the rest. You must go clubbing with these guys to Roadway. We went a couple of times and it was a blast.

We went on a couple of excursions which we booked through our Thomson rep (Martin). The first was Paradise Island which is basically a speedboat to a small island in the middle of the ocean. There you get drinks and refreshments and then snorkling gear to snorkel round the coral. I must say, i have never snorkeled before and it blew me away. If you go, take some fruit into the water with you and you will be surrounded by different fish having a nibble, it was a great day out. The only minus to that was the long and ardous coach journey back!

We then went to Ocean World and swam with the dolphins, this was a good day out, but there were a couple of minus points for me. Basically, you get taken there quite early and as the place isnt that big, you can find yourself a bit bored after a few hours as the coach doesnt pick you up till around 5-6pm. The other thing is the inflatable waterslide. You get a couple of free tickets to go on it. Now me thinking im still young and supple decided to be a big man and throw myself off the top. First time on my backside was fine, 2nd time (Face First) was nearly the end of me. The guy at the top just told me to go, however there were still kids at the bottom of the slide who went before me. I crashed into them at about 20-30mph and then head first into the inflatable barrier at the bottom. [--] me did it hurt! I nearly broke my neck and it still hurts! What im trying to say is if your past 30, be carefull!
There was no one there to help me either, so again be carefull!
On a final note, my girlfriend managed to take a photo of me crashing into the kids. Its hilarious!!!

Anyway, back to hotel. The food is ok, but can get a bit bland and samey sometimes. The a la carte restaurants are good. We tried the Chinese and Fish one. However, if you want the lobster, you have to pre book and its with an extra charge! Thier worth visiting at least once during your holiday. We spent most mornings on the beach then round the main pool in the afternoon. You do get guys trying to sell you stuff on the beach we can be a bit annoying but just be polite and they will leave you alone. There is sometimes entertainment on the beach with the Animation guys, this included beach volleyball which was good fun. In the afternoons round the main pool, there are normally fun and games going on which again you dont feel too pressured into joining in with if you dont want too.
The evenings were mainly spent getting drunk and watching the entertainment which was sometimes really funny and other times mildly amusing. They have acts that come along and do thier thing. Also, when the Animation team do stuff in the evenings it can be well funny! As there are no kids (another big plus) the entertainment can be that little bit more risky but again you dont have to join in if you dont want and can watch from a safe distance!

Overall, we had a great time and we were gutted to come home!

Lastly, big shout out to Mike and Roxanna from Southampton, who we met on our first day and spent most of the holiday with. You guys were great fun and we miss you!

Mike, you know Palace are gonna spank the Saints this weekend...EAGLES!!!

Darren & Jo

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dash35
halifax
Reviewed August 2, 2007

This was my first vacation ever. I'm 46. I will vacation every year from now on, believe me! Though I was travelling alone, the staff at the Blue Bay made me feel comfortable right from the start. The reception area was rather grand, the room comfortably sized and clean; nice washroom. There is not much room to store your clothing, but its probably only rookies like me that bring two full suitcases, plus a carry-on to the caribean. Underwear, socks, shorts and t-shirts are all you'll need. A pair of long pants for the a la carte restaurants. Which are excellent by the way. South American beef is the best I've ever had. Sorry Alberta. Everywhere I went at the Blue Bay the service was excellent. The buffet in the Garza was downright opulent. Every night featured a tasty main-turkey, roast beef, pork tenderloin etc. Plus the array of chafing trays were 'themed' every night; chinese, mexican, dominican,etc. You wont find 'brand' name booze at the bar, but you wont notice in a Mai Tai. Mixology was inconsistent at the bars, but the staff would happily accept your guidance if you were willing to walk them through. And you'll be glad to, as the bar staff don't paint their smiles on. Sit down and learn some spanish. The animation staff are probably the hardest workers at the resort. Silly but fun games by the poolside in the day, entertaining skits and audience participation at night. Not highbrow but fun. After a week I was fully rested from twenty five years of going without a break. And I had another week left! Highest kudos? In two weeks of drinking and merriment, I didn't meet one surly guest. I made friends from england,germany, quebec, the maritimes, and of course our host country. Everyone waved as the porter took my bags to the cab. I almost cried. Will I go back? I already have!

Stayed April 2007