“Great Holiday at the Villas”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 28, 2006

Me and my girl went for a week to Villas Doradas. It was a great time at a great hotel. I thought the food was okay, although it was mostly the same food everyday. (chicken, rice, beans) I loved it but my girlfriend is usually more picky then me when it comes to food. The swim up pool bar was the main spot for us on this trip. There were not alot of people at this resort since they are closing down within two weeks. It was perfect for us because there was no line ups at the bar. The nightly entertainment was really funny and one night Micheal Jackson showed up and danced for us. Well not the real one but close enough. The rooms were clean with no bugs or anything from which I heard of before. The only complaint I had over the trip was the fact that we left clothes in the bathroom and the housekeeper bleached three items of our clothing throughout the week. Besides the housekeeper it was an amazing time at Puerto Plata. I would recomend taking the Paradise Island tour, it literally is paradise. The bus ride there however was a little rough.(crazy bus driver!) I definitely would recommend this hotel once it reopens after renovations. I will never forget the great time at Puerto Plata with me and my baby.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,901)

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2006

My friend and I just returned from the Villas Doradas on 19th April and the vacation was an absolute blast.

We flew via Air Transat and will try to avoid going with these people again. They jammed so many extra seats on an air bus, 180lb people had problems fitting in the seats. The breakfast was a re-heated Harvey's breakfast sandwich (wrapper and all) and supper on the way home was a 6" Subway sub (wrapper and all). If we're forced to travel with Air Transat again, we'll definitely up-grade to club class (which is obviously what they want).

We really enjoyed Villas Doradas, particularly after changing rooms from the #1 block to the #7 block. Much nicer room and, with the air conditioner going at night, we weren't disturbed by the entertainment that was in close proximity.

We went out of our way to make friends with the resort staff and learn their names and a little of the language and got fantastic treatment. We enjoyed the food, breakfast was great and, being a vegetarian and very fussy eater, I particularly enjoyed the pasta bar at night.

We spent every day at the beach and, although it was not as good as the beach that we enjoyed in Veradero, Cuba, last year, we still had a great time. The water was beautiful (not clear) and we found that there were ample beds and, without reserving, we were able to get out of the hot midday sun under a cabana. We treated the beach sales people with respect and, in turn, were treated very well by them and not hassled at all (they would wave and say hi as they walked past).

We were absolutely impressed with the trust and security at the beach and the resort. We had no problem leaving our belongings on our beach lounges while we swam, ate or got a drink. We bought stuff from the beach vendors and they allowed us to pay the following day if we didn't have the cash with us.

The Plaza was handy for a visit in the evenings although we didn't do much shopping there. Neither my friend or I are great partiers and just wanted to relax with out too much music, crowds or drinking and we had no problems with this (perhaps we were boring but, after leading a hectic life all year, it's nice to just "do nothing").

For a total cost of $30 US we got a cab into Puerto Plata and the driver took us sightseeing, shopping, etc wherever we wanted. He stayed with us the whole time and even helped us to barter in some of the stores. We had been looking at buying rum at the Plaza for 350 peso, but ended up getting it for 150 from a typical DR grocery store.

We went expecting a 3 star hotel and, as a result, absolutely had a great time. For the amount we paid, we have absolutely no complaints (and we met an old guy down there who worked out for us that our vacation was costing us about $6 an hour!!!)

Villas Doradas is closing 1st May for $12 million US of renovations (beach restaurants, rooms, etc) and we'll be very interested to see what star it comes out as afterwards. Love to return next year.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
YORKSHIRE ENGLAND
Reviewed April 15, 2006

Just arrived back from dominican had a fantastic time spent 2 weeks there not had any problems,Our first experience of the dominican i went with husband and 9yr old son had a great time, rooms nice and cleaned everyday but you only go there to shower and sleep food really nice no complaints we tried the chinese which would be recommended never tried the grill but i must say fish resteraunt would be a no no for me but quite a lot of people enjoyed it,people there are so happy and friendly there was never a dull moment scooby,elvis and mosquito were the fantastic people who entertained and can i say they did a v good job and made our holiday so much fun from playing crazy games to bingo(ha ha)i would relly recommend to go to ocean world and swim with the dolphins which was one hell of a experience this is a must! Also on the outback safari which is a really enjoyable day out to see how the dominican people live you will visit a typical dominican house which is a real eye opener visit a rum shack and a local school(please remember to take lots of pens,pencils,paper and sweets these are really wanted items we took loads and made lots of people really happy)then you will stop off on a beautiful beach and get chance to go boogie boarding which is so much fun, And any guys out their who wear NIKE sports wear make sure you take extra T shirts, shorts trainers to leave behind as these are much sought after items as it is a poor country these guys work so hard for items as such.really good all rounder we only just got back but planning to go back in november as this hotel is been refurbished in next couple of weeks so it will be nice to go back to see the changes. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Stayed at Villas Doradas last week March/first week April.Rooms basic a la West Indies 3star,but they were cleaned daily and freshly laundered towels supplied every day.They were taken away each morning and returned sometimes still warm,later in the afternoon.You soon learn to keep one back otherwise if you wash or shower during the day,you have to drip dry!
We had no problems with security at any time and left money,cameras,camcorders in the room with no worries.I cannot recall anyone having any trouble as stated by a previous correspondent during the 2 weeks we were there.
When it rains in the tropics,boy does it rain,but again we had no problems or heard of any others having any water up to their knees!
Regarding the entertainment,it was a good amateur attempt to keep many nationalities amused and by and large they succeeded mainly by sheer hard work.The show always finished around 2300hrs.any anyone wanting to carry on drinking went to the beach bar which stays open until 0700hrs!This moves all the noise well away from the accomodation.
The entertainment team ,Mosquito,Elvis and Scooby try to keep everyone amused and involved but this is NOT compulsary and they will leave you alone if you don`t want to join in.
The food is plentiful and compares favourably with any other 3star all inclusive that we have stayed in.We both put on weight.
The drinks are not watered down as some assume,but if you look on the bottles,the local spirits are only 34% proof,not what we are used to.The beer is a respectable 5%.
The Dominican Republic is a multinational holiday destination and it was nice to find somewhere that was not plagued by "lager louts".If fact the only foul language heard all fortnight came from 4 American girls,and the loudest behaviour from some Canadians.
Regardig the timeshare touts,when approached,simply look blank,shrug shoulders and say Russki.Russian seems to be the only langage that they cannot speak,but give them time.
All in all,a good holiday,value for the amount paid.Would we return?YES.

Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank stig_9
Reviewed April 10, 2006

I stayed at the Villa Doradas from March 23rd to April 6th, with 2 girlfriends of mine. We had a Blast. We met a lovely family from Red Deer and spend our first week with them partying every night in the clubs.

My suggestion is to try all the disco's to see which you like the best. I enjoyed Mangu the best but you had to pay cover every time and it was the farthest to walk but taxi's were readily avaiable if you are willing to pay 6.00 US for the 1 min drive. Roadway is the closest they play lots of hip hop. Crazy Moon was a good disco, again lots of hip hop make sure you get the flyers that the promotion guys had out during the day and you will get in with no cover and a free drink. Hemmingways I went to once and it was awesome if you are into the Merengue and Bachata like I am. Usually no cover and again look for the flyer guys. For every bar girls beware if you are not single and not looking for a guy because the bars are full of locals looking for "opportunity"

Villas Doradas is a good little resort, our room was not the best room it was very small but we were hardly in it so we didn't mind. We didn't have a tv for the first week but again we didn't mind. As soon as we asked for one or asked for anything we needed it was brought within half an hour of asking for it. As for the other rooms they are very nice and clean and roomy. Also you have to think its a three star hotel don't expect much.

The food was alright they ran a 7 day meal plan for the buffet but it was mostly the same things everynight just different sauces. Lunch Buffet is the best I suggest always eating at lunch because they had the most varaity. The Ala Carte Resturants were pretty good I enjoyed the Chinese one but it didn't agree with my friend too much. And the Grill was great but than later it didn't agree with me much. The seafood one was good according to my friend who went. So if you have a sensitive stomach stick to the buffet!

The bartenders were awesome they mix great drinks and they are always smiling! Look for Gabriel and Wiling(looks like puff daddy) they are the best.

The animation team was very lively but I didn't have much to do with them, I was baking on the beach!

The beach is beautiful, try and get up early to secure a beach chair although it's not much of a fight for those just for the shade. The water is great for swimming and the beach is really good for running either early morning of late afternoon. If you go for a walk down the right of the beach you will come to a river, careful when you cross lots of rocks and cross a little down river about level with the guy selling paintings, not so bad. Make sure you bring a plastic bag or something to hold you're money or camera because if you hit a down poor your stuck, and might get a little wet! The peddlers can get a bit annoying the first couple days but the key is to pretend your sleeping and they shouldn't bother you!!!

I suggest grabbing a bus or van and heading to Sosua or Caberate. The little vans where they cram about 23 people in should cost about 25 pesos to Sosua and 50 pesos to Caberate. And the bus is about 20 pesos but it's easier grabbing a bus ont he way back. The markets in Sosua are great, they love to bargain and don't like to take no for an answer. The beaches in Cab. are the most beautiful and so is the ocean. You will have lots of water sports to try and you can rent a beach chair for the day at a 100pesos/chair. but laying on the sands just as nice, if it's not windy. In Cab the beach is lined with bars and resturants, so stay a bit longer and enjoy a nice lobster meal. Grab a cab back to the Playa Doradas complex for a bout 800 pesos.

If you go on a tour I suggest the Monster Truck Tour and the Paridise Island tour, bring an underwater camera for the Paridise Island tour the fish as amazing.

Well hopefully this has been a bit helpful for people going to the Villa Doradas or just in the Doradas Complex. I really enjoyed my holidays so I hope you will too!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Lea26
Prince George, BC
Reviewed April 4, 2006

To start off with, our tub was all rusted on the bottom, the closet doors were falling off, the patio planter had everything but plants (plastic cups, cigarette buts, garbage. Cockroahes at night (no sleepy sleepy!. Ran out of TP and it never got replaced. Roof leaked one night, had to use the ice bucket to catch it. When we told front desk about it, all they said was.."oh, okay" The bar smelled of vomit. The people across from us ordered Pizza Hut take out and the put their garbage outside their door, where it stayed for the next 2 days. Not once did we receive clean cups and we always had to wait for towels, hotel room and pool! The drinks were good. My husband and I will never return to this dump.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I went to the Dominican Republic hoping for a nice relaxing holiday, i didnt pay as much as i usually would as i was told that in the caribbean it doesnt really matter, its beautiful all over.

Before i went on the holiday, i had read alot of reviews, the majority where bad reviews, damp in rooms, things going missing etc, i didnt take any notice as i thought well to have this many bad reviews the hotel will have surely sorted many of the problems out now.

To my dismay, this was not the case.

Upon arrial everything was great, great reception, staff were friendly and all looked clean.

When located to our room (at back of hotel) all was ok, fairly simple layout, nice fresh feel to it, well, this was until we entered the bathroom, revolting, mould around the bath and damp on the ceiling. Straight away we asked to move, granted, the staff were lovely and happy to oblige, new room was three doors down from the last and not much better, but still not as bad so we stayed.

Evening entertainment was fantastic if you were out watching it, when trying to get an early night after jetlag it was truly hideous, our room was right behind the stagem constant noise, music till all hours of morning, no good for those with children.

Pool was nice, huge and clean, and lots of entertainment, great for kids, women for 20 upwards beware, constant wolf whistles from the 'Vibe Tribe'.

Food was nice, average, not like the caribbean food i was expecting, alot of chicken on the menu, yet which part of the chicken i really dont know.

It got to the end of the first week and there was HUGE commotion, it seems that one of the other guests had their room broken into whilst they were out and their camera and lots of money had been taken out of their safe, there was no forced entry with the safe, so it begs to differ, was it the staff? This family moved hotels shortly after.

Middle of Second week there was a storm, (beautiful might i add) there were four rooms that got flooded (knee deep) peoples belongings were floating in the rain water, cameras destroyed, the hotel said 'we have not experienced this before' yet i know that a problem such as this had been raised on this web site in 2004.

All im trying to say is be very careful here, keep your belongs on you as much as you can, take travellers cheques, leave no cash in the rooms, specially over the weekend as this is when the locals arrive and this was when most things were going missing.

I feel this could have been made a lot better if we would have had the support from our tour operater My Travel (First Choice), any problem raised they seemed Blasé.

Stayed: September 2005