“woderful honeymoon”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
cumbernauld
“woderful honeymoon”
Reviewed March 15, 2006

i have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel on my honeymoon, i am writing this as prior to going i had read comments and had wanted to cancel my holiday. with other people on holiday we heard people moaning and criticising, food trips staff etc and we wondered if we were stayin in the same place. some people obviuosly like to complain.
our room was always immaculate, no bugs we took a plug in as advised by tour operator, food was well presented and varied the a la cart restaurants were 1st class.
the staff where pleasant well mannered always smiling despite the hard hours they work, my special praise goes to the intertainment team, energetic, never tired there shows where hilarious, the beach was lovely cleaned daily ex sun, short walk up the beach you could snorkel at the reef, fab holiday will go back again. thanks to all there we had a lovely honeymoon, no complaints.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank madkat21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 8, 2006

we just got back yesterday from villas doradas. i will give a little bit of background so you understand where i am coming from. i have been to dominican one other time and it was in la romana at santana beach resort. that hotel was great, but the beach was not good. it was 4.5*. villas doradas is appropriatly rated right now, here is why:

Service:the people at the front desk were not always the nicest when you had a problem and we did when we got there. the bartenders were great and the entertainment crew was the best. they made my holiday much more enjoyable.

Rooms: this is the only thing i had a problem with. when we first arrived we were supposed to have our rooms side by side with some other people we came with. it wasnt and the service would not change it because i guess they were booked. anyways we went to look at our room and it was disgusting, it was a little den and the bathtub had grey stuff stuck to it. it was not worth the money that we spent, we didnt even want to sleep in there. so after a long time talking to our tour rep finally we got our room changed because we found some rooms that were open. tihs room was much better. the only problem we then had was that one night there were ants in our beds, but our room was fumigated and sheets were changed. it wasnt that bad because we didnt spend hardly any time in the room anyways. once the place is renovated im sure it will be much better.

Pool: the pools were alright, not to big, but decent, that would be a 3* rating.

Beach: the beach was pretty good, it was very nice and fairly well cleaned. the water was pretty nice, obviously not crystal clear but you pay for what you get. we never had a problem getting chairs at the beach.

Food: the food was not the greatest. it was almost the same stuff every night and everything tasted different. some of the food was better then i expected. for some reason all of the al la carte restraunts were booked and we could only get into one. it was the grill and it was on our last night. it was very good so we wished that we could have gotten into the others. book right when you get there in the buffet.

Entertainment: the entertainment staff are great. Scooby and Mosquito are soo funny and very nice. the shows at night were lots of fun to go to, they were always very funny.

Trips: we went on the outback safari trip and it was amazing. we learnt a ton of stuff about the dominican and how the people there live. it is deffinatly worth the money. we book our half an hour free horse back riding, that was the worst mistake. you go on a truck sitting in the back up this mountain and just get flung around, about an half an hour drive, then when you get to the ranch, the poor horses are so tiny and skinny from malnurisment. we turned around and went back because as soon as my cousin sat on a horse the poor things legs were shaking.

Over all our trip was lots of fun, it was nice to just relax and lye in the sun, and meet some nice people. we had a great time and i would probably go back after they renovate, which they are renovating the whole place in april of this year. it is always good to come back home though.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
merseyside england
Reviewed March 6, 2006

upon arrival the door to our room broken also with no lock it took four complaints and two days of our holiday before it was fixed the sheets on bed had dried blood on them the floor all dusty.
the towels they loaned had more holes than material so take your own been three times to dominican would not stay here again one time only prefer paradise beach
mosquito good fun he deserves a medal!!!!!!!!
rest of staff moody unhappy generally bad reputation for a hotel airtours are a disgrace

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank sarah r
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Before we decided to book a week at the Villas Doradas, I came here to see the comments people had left. I did not really pay attention about the bad comments because I though people were just complaining for little things that would not botter me. Well I go on vacation once a year and this was my first time in a 3 stars and it is defenitly a 3 stars. Its ok if you dont expect too much. Ill tell you what I was really dissapointed about:
First: Don't expect to drink anythink like straberry daiquiri, or banan mama... they have none of that. They dont even have tequila!
Second: The buffet is very small, and always the same. I ate rice all week:( I was sad because I thoght I would gain weigh not lose any.
If its raining there is nothing to do because its such a small resort.
Im 23 years old and met awesome people but everyone is older! Like much older than me !
Okay now the positive: The beach is awesome!
Good luck !

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 2, 2006

My mother and I took a trip last minute to Hoteteur Villas Dorada it was so much fun the people we very nice and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and the food was different but great. All the activities kept everyone busy and happy. The Catamaran was a must do adventure where we visited paradise island. The 3 a la carte dinners were great especially the chinese food. Even though they are rebuidling I will be back to visit and next time for 2 or 3 weeks. I miss being there and for a first time in diminican it was an excellent experience

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bristol, England
Reviewed February 25, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in October with my partner. We are a young couple (I celebrated my 19th Birthday there- swimming with dolphins!) I absolutely loved it, although, I do feel that without the Fun Team, I would not have been that great! Mosquito, The Professional, Spagetti and Sugar Belly are all great and they work so hard to please everybody. The evening entertainment that they did were great, but if it wasn't them, I have to admit it was a bit distasteful!

The only let down was that my room had no lock upon arrival, however, at the welcome meeting the next day it was quickly sorted out. Also, the food was of not great standard but as we were on holiday we thought it was ok to treat ourselves anyway! Roadways is a MUST if your staying in Playa Dorada, they do the best steak and disco in the evening. Hemmingways wraps are also a MUST! Ocean World is fantastic, cannot visit Dom Rep without coming here. We had the most amazing experience swimming with dolphins and beautiful fish. The outback safari was a bit of a disappointment but I imagine the catamaran would have been amazing if I didnt have a hangover!

I would recommend to anyone that they bring extra money to eat outside the resort as the food was very repeatitive and not that great! However, everything else was brilliant. Staff were lovely and very happy to help. Although watch the bar staff, as they don't know when to stop adding the vodka!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank SamanthaT1986
birmingham, england
Reviewed February 23, 2006

I've just come back from a weeks stay at the Hotetur Villas Doradas hotel with two of my girlfriends. We went to celebrate our birthdays and had a wonderful relaxing holiday!
When we first arrived the room we were allocated smelt of damp, the bathroom smelt of sewerage and the water wouldnt go down the drain, but after complaining (a little) we got to move rooms and that room had no problems at all.
It rained for two days but was scorching hot the rest of the time.
All of the staff are polite and friendly and the entertainment was good too. The hotel was kept clean all the time and rooms were done everyday.
The food was ok - a bit boring after the first few days but there's enough for you to be able to find something you'd enjoy - a few people complained of upset stomachs but we were all fine.
There's plenty to do around the complex (casino, clubs, bars, restaurants, golfing, cinema etc) but if you want to see the real Dominican you need to venture outside the complex.
Overall we has a lovely time and would definately recommend people to go to this hotel as it is value for money and the people there are all lovely - we didnt want to leave!

6 Thank happy12