“Beautiful hotel & staff (mostly!)”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at blue bay for our honeymoon and just returned last week. We had a lovely time, the accommodation is modern and clean, the rooms are spacious and most of the staff are friendly and helpful.

It's a great resort if you want to spend time as a couple or get involved with the animation team and play some games - we did a bit of both. We often went down to the beach on an evening which was very peaceful but close enough to get drinks from the beach bar! On other evenings we would watch the shows or join in with the karaoke. My husband played volleyball sometimes during the day as well - but if we didn't want to join in we weren't pressured. The music is fairly loud but it helps give the pool bar a bit of a party atmosphere and they don't really turn it up until about 3pm in the afternoon.

The sun beds were in high demand around the pool which meant we couldn't always get near an umbrella which was a problem for my husband as he has very fair skin.

The food was great - always lots of choice in the buffet restaurant and something for everyone. We ate at the Chinese and steak al a carte restaurants also which were pleasant but not amazing. Rafael one of the waiters went the extra mile in greeting us every morning and taking an interest in what we were doing each day.

We did 4 excursions which were booked with Thompson before we left the UK - outback safari, ocean world, puerto plata city tour & cable car and horse riding. All of the excursions included transfers to and from the hotel and were well organised. The only one we were a little disappointed in was the city tour - the whole day was very rushed from one place to another and for a 'full day' activity we were back at the hotel for 3.15pm.

Our only other disappointments were the lack of clean beach towels at the hotel. Almost every time we went to replace them at the little market towel exchange they didn't have clean replacements. We ended up keeping the same towels for up to 3 days at a time. Also the cleaner would regularly take the dirty towels from our room but forget to bring clean replacements. This was rectified with a quick call to housekeeping.

The reception staff really let the resort down. We reported a few problems and nothing was resolved first time. There was never an apology or a smile with their service.

Overall though we had a fantastic honeymoon and really enjoyed the resort and local town.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Angela V, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback, and for your kind comments, our staff work really hard every single day to keep the hotel in the best conditions.

We look forward to welcome you back soon,

Warms Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,843)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I will start this review off by saying that yes we are members of the vacation club and have been for the past 7 years. Every year it has got better and better-you are treated like family and welcomed home with open arms! Thank you Judith for your assistance this year-champagne always taste better in Puerto Plata! And to George, Mayo, Commando and James Bond-you guys rock! The food was great with lots of choices and the different theme nights in the buffet restaurant were always a great suprise. Some of the staff at the front desk and the buffet restaurant could use a few lessons on manners-actually very rude to my husband-but that isn't enough to stop us from our next visit that we hope will be in March. Beautiful grounds and clean no matter what time of the day or night-best thing of all is no kids! Inez you are doing a great job and thanks for listening to us crazy Canadians! We love it and you will too-just relax, kick back and enjoy the vacation - remember that you are on Dominican time! There will always be something that someone isn't going to like-reviews are like that ! Try it-we did and have never regretted it-get going-book it-there isn't any snow there-I promise!

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can to a villa!
Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LindaDB2014

Dear Guest,

On Behalf of Bluebay Staff thanks for spending your vacations in our lovely property!
We are happy to review that all our efforts are appreciate by our invaluable guests.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We picked this hotel as me and my husband wanted a relaxing vacation and thought that an adults only hotel would offer that. The hotel however was a huge disappointment.

Room: The rooms where very basic, not at all what one would expect from a 4 star facility. We also had to change room as the first one we got had an AC that made a terrible noise.
Pools: It was not always easy to get a free sun chair, especially since it was pretty much impossible to spend time next to the big pool and they played bad music very load and constantly had silly and ridiculous games (the same every day)
Food: The buffet offered a big selection however the wine was not good. The hotel re-used old bottles of wines that they refilled with wine from a big container which I think is a very cheap trick. The hotel also had a la carte restaurants that you could visit if you booked ahead but the quality of there restaurants was not very good either
Service: The staff in the restaurants was very friendly but often stressed and sometimes it was hard to get service. The staff at the reception was not at all helpful. The check in process was a nightmare just to mention one thing that did not work properly. The hotel als had problems with basic things such as clean beach towels and we often had to call the reception several times in order to get water and toilet paper to our room.
Location: The hotel is located in a big gated all inclusive area som there is no way one can stroll, visit other restaurant outside the hotel etc since all hotels where all inclusive and open for their guests only.

Also what we believe was very bad was that the hotel had people selling time share memberships to the hotel guests at the hotel. There where also a lot of sales people at the hotels beach, very annoying.

It is a beautiful Island worth a visit but if you want to go to The Dominican Republic pick a different hotel and a different area!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Marta K

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback and for your visit to our lovely hotel!

I have reviewed your feedback with the staff and we sincerely regret you did not enjoy your holidays. We feel we provide good value to our guests, and regret that we failed to meet expectations on your stay.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I really wanted to give this place a "Very Good" rating, but there was just some "stuff" that couldn't overlook. Now before I go sounding like one of these people with totally unrealistic expectations, trust me, I totally didn't go here expecting a Westin or Four Seasons experience on a Motel 6 budget. I went to BlueBay for a last minute solo get-a-way on a shoe-string. I've been to the Dominican Republic a couple of times, but never Puerto Plata and got a great deal, so I went for it.

Let's start with the good...the staff was very friendly, especially the entertainment team (Animacion). Even though I only participated in one event, they do offer a lot of activities to break up the day and get you interacting with the other patrons. The beach is beautiful, except when a family got up from their beach chairs and left around 15 empty plastic drink cups strewn about the sand. What was more sad was that they were a Dominican family. I actually got up and cleaned they're area. The pools, although small, were never crowded and nice as well. The food was ok. I've had better, but I've also had worse. There's something for everyone. You won't go hungry, that's for sure. I had dinner one night at one of the specialty restaurants (El Pescador). Dinner was great and the service excellent. The grounds are pristine and very well manicured. Location was just 20-25 minutes from the airport. Adults only so no screaming kids which was great because I needed the peace and quiet. There's also a small mall walking distance to the resort with several souvenir shops, a pharmacy, restaurants and bars and a Coco Bongos.

The bad. I felt so pressured to buy into their time-share thing. I think the concierges get money for every person they get to go to the presentation. So I just went, and then told the guy straight up that I was not interested in investing. He sent me on my way and they never bothered me again. Another annoying thing is beach vendors. Not the hotels fault. I really hate to be rude and totally understand they they are trying to make a living, but they are very persistent and pushy to say the least. After a while, I just put on my headphones and tried not to make eye contact. I read I would have a room with a balcony. I didn't get one. My iron didn't work. You have to pay $3 per day for use of the room safe. I've never had to pay for a safe ever, and I've been to many hotels. Wifi is not free. I had to purchase 25 hours for $25. Not bad, and I stretched it out for my 5 days there, with hours to spare when I left. I was lucky to have 2 beach towels when I got there, and I held on to them for dear life. Apparently, they are hard to come by, and that was confirmed by another patron's complaint I overheard. Fitness center consists of one elliptical, treadmill and recumbent bike each, one adjustable bench, and several dumbbells (5lbs to 50lbs). Also a few exercise mats, exercise balls and Aerobic stepper. OK, not Gold's Gym, but I made due. My room had no drawers. Everything had to go on shelves or hangers in the closet.

From what I saw and heard from the employees, the place is visited mostly by Canadians and Europeans (mostly Germans). I may have been the only American there the whole week, but it was refreshing to be around people were weren't too rowdy, drunk or obnoxious. Overall, I had a pretty decent time and did what I set out to do, relax, rest, swim and tan. Would I go back? I answer with an unenthusiastic "Maybe".

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper and usually go to bed early, stay away from Building's 1, 2 and 3...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank ricanstruction

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Bluebay, thanks to spend your holidays in our property!
We have read your review regarding your recent holiday to the Dominican Republic and to this BlueBay Villas Doradas.
Thanks for your comments which help us get better in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This report follows my third visit to Blue Bay Villas Doradas. I purchased a membership to Circle One International Vacation Club here at Blue Bay resort on my first visit. My first impressions about BlueBay Resort from the time of arrival to leaving are: consistently clean, accommodating and safe. Security guards are at the gate entrance to secure the interests of the hotel and clients alike. The majority of the staff on site continually greet you with a friendly hola/hello and many stop to ask how you are. When I have concerns about anything, there is a Circle One VIP representative here (Judith de la Cruz) to take care of them. I have found all of my concerns have been taken care of very quickly to my satisfaction: Judith has been great, and the staff onsite from the resident manager (Ines Pichardo) down demonstrate a genuine concern of customer satisfaction. I don’t have a lot of criticism of the place so if it looks one sided: well it is! I like the place a lot.
As a single elderly man with no children, when I vacation, I enjoy peace and quiet in an environment that feels like everything I want is at my fingertips. For me, Blue Bay Villas Doradas offers that satisfying experience. The resort is adults only. There are no children. Their three pools are great for swimming, water volleyball, and enjoying a drink at the poolside bar. The beach area has miles of walking space, The large beachside bar and buffet offers a great view while I enjoy a drink, and bite to eat, write letters, edit my vacation experiences on my laptop, and suntan on the beach. The large reefs that are out in the bay act as wave breakers and the beach area receives small waves on a windy day. Every morning before the people are out of their beds, all the walkways and beach area are cleaned by hotel staff. The beachside bar and buffet become two specialty restaurants in the evening catering to seafood and italian dishes. If you like Asian food, you can visit the Jade Garden Restaurant also. I felt the service and food were great at all of them. I especially like the stone and tile construction of Blue Bay Resort. The rich crimson brick walkways, the large white stone tiles around the main office and pool area and the tall open entrance to the office and dining hall offer a palatial feel to the place. All the rooms are done in beautiful marble stone tile also. The place looks like it was built to last. If you want to see what Puerto Plata has to offer it's visitors, there are plenty of tours that range from a city tour, to Oceanworld, to snorkeling and diving around Puerto Plata.
If you have an interest in remaining in the resort to enjoy the amenities the, Animation Crew (a group of nine entertainment people) are onsite to keep your day filled with a variety of group activities like bicycle tours, instruction in the local dances, Spanish language lessons, a variety of contests in things like horseshoes, beer drinking contests, Blue Bay Olympics, and card games. When you have difficulty learning or doing some of the activities, it is common to see the Animation Crew take time out of their own schedule to personally teach and make your experience of the activities more enjoyable. I had difficulty learning one of the dances and Yayi offered and took time out of her own schedule to teach me for an hour or so. Though the group claims to not be professional, you can see that the group is very talented and some have areas of expertise that put them at the level near professional. The evening fantasy show of dancing with fire in and out of the water clearly shows the hard work and group effort of dance choreography. The talents of members like George and Commando of the
Animation Crew shine in the Fantasy Show. The one thing most consistent in the crew is they are all very lively and animated to make everyone’s experience enjoyable.
In summation, if you are looking for rest and relaxation at an all-inclusive for adults only, there is plenty of peace and quiet at Blue Bay Villas Doradas. If you are looking for an experience of what Puerto Plata has to offer in an environment where your needs are taken care of, Blue Bay Villas Doradas can provide that. By purchasing a membership to Circle One at this resort I have been motivated to return to this place because of my membership. Does the place warrant that without the membership? Yes in my opinion: because I really enjoy the cleanliness, the warm hospitality and service of the people at Blue Bay Resort. Can you do better in costs? For me it is hard to say because I lack familiarity with other places. I feel that the Circle One maintenance fee, the all-inclusive fee, along with the transportation costs to and from the resort presents a cost that I could get to this same place on a special one time all inclusive excursion. The benefit of the membership is that you save at the other Circle One resorts where you do not have to pay the maintenance fee. If their resort locations are exactly what you want then the package is a benefit. If you have a lot of vacation time available Circle One membership also provides membership to RCI. The Circle One Vacation package offers the buyer 365 days a year for 30 years at nine of their resorts located in Spain, Mexico and Dominican Republic. The trading factor of RCI (example: One week at a time share in New York may equal the value of fourweeks at Blue Bay Resort with RCI) does not reduce any time you have purchased with Circle One as it does in other time shares; so this is a leveraging benefit for Circle One membership when you have a lot of time to vacation. How does it compare with others? I don't know. This one satisfies me for what
I want.

Room Tip: If you like a room with ability sit outside at your room location ask for a balcony or patio with yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Bruce H
Angela V, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your visit to our lovely hotel, and for your feedback.
I have reviewed your comments with the staff, and we are happy to review that all our efforts are appreciate by our invaluable guests, really our staff working hard every single day to get it.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The grounds at this property are beautiful, and kept very clean. The rooms are very plain, uncomfortable beds, and smelled badly like smoke in a non-smoking room.
The food was average, but what you can expect at an all inclusive. The alcohol was available at all times, I stuck with beer. They serve all the drinks in tiny plastic cups. Maybe you can bring a big one and get an adult sized drink!
The entertainment was cheesy at best. The beach was nice, not too many vendors.
All in all, ok place to stay. No club on site, you have to go find one, which I found weird since this is an adult only resort.
Don't set your expectations too high here. Don't pay too much!

Room Tip: You might have to upgrade to get a decent room. Not positive if that will be any better, as I only...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tanya R

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Bluebay, many thanks for spending your vacations with us!
I have reviewed your feedback with the staff; we appreciate your feedback, which helps us get better in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was my first get away and the best one so far. This resort makes you feel like family. That Is why is was so hard to say good bye. The animation team was beyond excellent mayo, George,LA peki, James bond, comado were so much fun. I love how they get everyone involved in all the games and make you laugh so hard that your crying and stomach hurt. The buffet staff was excellent they always had big smiles on there faces and teaching me Spanish. They always knew our beverage orders. Example they always knew my friend always took milk with our coffee and our friend only had black tea. Bar staff was beyond great my first hand farorite bartender was grabriel he was my first singing bartender that had me blushing and smiling ear to ear :) then they was rouque he was my favorite swim up bartender always smiling and making me laugh. The whole staff there was always beyond helpful and always gracoius. Beginng of the trip we started off with hi fives and after two days we all were hugging because we became one large family. Thank you everyone for the great experience and many laughs I will never forget my memories with you all. Till I return stay the same

Room Tip: Our room was 5206 I think and it was quiet and close to the lobby very basic and super clean
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Bluebay staff many thanks for your kind comments!
We are pleased to review that all our efforts are appreciate by our invaluable guests.

Warm regards,