My husband and I stayed at blue bay for our honeymoon and just returned last week. We had a lovely time, the accommodation is modern and clean, the rooms are spacious and most of the staff are friendly and helpful.
It's a great resort if you want to spend time as a couple or get involved with the animation team and play some games - we did a bit of both. We often went down to the beach on an evening which was very peaceful but close enough to get drinks from the beach bar! On other evenings we would watch the shows or join in with the karaoke. My husband played volleyball sometimes during the day as well - but if we didn't want to join in we weren't pressured. The music is fairly loud but it helps give the pool bar a bit of a party atmosphere and they don't really turn it up until about 3pm in the afternoon.
The sun beds were in high demand around the pool which meant we couldn't always get near an umbrella which was a problem for my husband as he has very fair skin.
The food was great - always lots of choice in the buffet restaurant and something for everyone. We ate at the Chinese and steak al a carte restaurants also which were pleasant but not amazing. Rafael one of the waiters went the extra mile in greeting us every morning and taking an interest in what we were doing each day.
We did 4 excursions which were booked with Thompson before we left the UK - outback safari, ocean world, puerto plata city tour & cable car and horse riding. All of the excursions included transfers to and from the hotel and were well organised. The only one we were a little disappointed in was the city tour - the whole day was very rushed from one place to another and for a 'full day' activity we were back at the hotel for 3.15pm.
Our only other disappointments were the lack of clean beach towels at the hotel. Almost every time we went to replace them at the little market towel exchange they didn't have clean replacements. We ended up keeping the same towels for up to 3 days at a time. Also the cleaner would regularly take the dirty towels from our room but forget to bring clean replacements. This was rectified with a quick call to housekeeping.
The reception staff really let the resort down. We reported a few problems and nothing was resolved first time. There was never an apology or a smile with their service.
Overall though we had a fantastic honeymoon and really enjoyed the resort and local town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, BlueBay Hotels & Resorts, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic