“Wonderful for older couples”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I went to bluebay as a single woman. I chose this hotel based on them not over charging for one in a room and there was 24 hour drinks and snacks. The hotel is very classy compared to other hotels on that strip. Beach was clean. Food was great. Nightly shows were either beautiful or hilarious depending on the show. Activation always kept people involved and happy. Leo in particular was fantastic. Went above and beyond to make my stay great. A friendship that will last! I did have issues with security. The first night there one of the guards imposed himself in my room. Luckily I was not harmed. I would have reported the guard but they all wear the same outfit and are dark and don't speak English and I saw no name tags. Hassled on the beach by them too. Beach vendors are there but tend to leave bluebay alone due to many older people. I highly recommend this resort to couples. Or a big group. Please also be aware. I am Canadian so I am a tipper. I did not realize the activation staff did not get tipped out by the bartenders. So if there are any staff that go above and beyond don't be afraid to show your appreciation to that individual.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Christine B
Angela V, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

On Behalf of Bluebay staff many thanks for your kind comments!
We are happy to review that all our efforts are appreciate by our invaluable guests.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2014

our 1st time at bluebay villa and all we can say is EXCELLENT couldnt fault it one bit. everyone was very polite and welcoming. we went for our 1st anniversary (honeymoon) they did us a sit down meal with champagne, we also had a invitation to a cocktail night. (at no extra cost) the rooms were spotless and clean. the food AMAZING couldnt fault it. and hopefully will return soon. i would recommend this to any adults that would like to get away for a child free holiday

Room Tip: all rooms 4*
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank annstoke

Dear Guest,

On Behalf of Bluebay staff thanks a lot for your visit and your lovely comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had returned for a second visit to the BlueBay following our first stay there 6 years ago. We spent Christmas & New Year here.
Nothing much had changed.
Negatives: Trying to get Beach towels daily was hard work, we were lucky that our room was close to the hut so had to keep our eye on the early morning drop off to ensure we got dry towels.
Our room was always cleaned early morning but we never appeared to get our fresh towels until late afternoon. A couple of times they delivered them after we got back to our room and on the last full day there, they had not left us any so I had to go to reception at 1800hrs to ask for towels, not happy.
Trying to dry anything (swimwear) in the room was hard work, usually took a couple of days to dry.
No ventilation in the bathroom.
Bathrooms are looking very tired, too many repaired cracked tiles.
Sunbeds are very tired looking and most of them need repairing – would be a good idea to replace them all as they certainly aren’t comfortable.
Time share people are sharks, be very firm the first time with them and they leave you alone. I don’t like being rude but I had to be with these people.
There are not enough staff in the restaurant and it is poorly organised. I felt for the poor staff they work really hard, there are so few of them and they try their very best to keep everyone happy. There never appears to be enough cutlery/crockery/glasses so the staff trying to serve you coffee/water have to go and find these before they can pour your drinks. They also need to find a better way of serving coffee in the evening as most nights their machine was broken, I’m sure using hot plates would be far better.

Positives: The food in the buffet is lovely, always plenty to choose from other than breakfast when bacon only appeared every other day which upset my other half.
All the staff are lovely, always pleasant and helpful. I have to give Raphael in the restaurant 5 stars; he is absolutely wonderful even taught me to say half & half in Spanish. Nothing was ever too much trouble for any of them.
I wrote to the hotel prior to our trip asking for a quiet room away from the entertainment and I have to say this is what we got. Room 7107 was ideal. It was quite a large room, two chairs and two double beds, bathroom was a little small. They have brightened the rooms up a little since we were there last adding a spot of colour and mood lighting which makes it more appealing.
Entertainment team are brilliant, James Bond, Mayo and all the others work very hard. We didn't join in very much but they always had a smile and a chat with you.
Our Room was always clean and tidy.
Grounds around the rooms are lovely, very well maintained.
The hotel is definitely not a four star hotel but then we knew what we were getting before we arrived. I suppose that I had hoped that the refurbished rooms would be a little more luxurious but they weren't!
Nothing much appeared to have changed in six years but the area appears a lot quieter, the mall down the road was pretty deserted. We went there a few times to watch football in King of Beers, they made us feel very welcome and it was a nice break from lying around the pool.
We met some lovely people during our stay that helped make it a good holiday. You know who you are.
I appear to have more negatives than positives but I cannot say that we did not enjoy our holiday because we did. The hotel I believe was good value for the price we paid during the Christmas/New Year period. The big things like good food, clean and tidy surroundings, lovely pool and beach and lovely staff made the holiday. Yes there is room for improvement, sun beds, towels, more organised in the restaurant ensuring enough staff, cutlery, crockery, glasses could be made and hopefully with the new manager there now these may well be things in progress. Let’s hope so as who knows, we may yet return in another few years.

Room Tip: Very quiet room 7107
2  Thank Russkygem

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your visit and kind comments. We are pleased to review that all our efforts are appreciate by our invaluable guests.
You can be sure that we will continue working hard to offer you the best experience on your future vacation in our lovely property.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

First impressions were - wow ! Beautiful grounds, pools etc.. However, almost as soon as we unpacked & left our room - we were bombarded by " Concierges " , insistent on getting us to view the villas, & buy into their package. No matter how many times we told them we were not interested, they came back - lurking outside the dining room , reception & even behind bushes !! It became a tiresome game of cat & mouse , to avoid them. We experienced the same problem on the beach , with sellers , so much so , that we started to stay by the pool- shame because the beach is lovely.
The bathroom was very dated & the shower gurgled constantly ! The sink & toilet both blocked & 2 of the electric sockets didn't work ! There were also tiny ants all over the tops of the dressing table / bedside tables.
Also, the first week , the pools were full of scum & dead insects - not nice ! They did get cleaner the second week, thankfully.
THe staff were lovely, & the entertainment was great, as were the drinks - food was fair , but the meat was pretty awful - 1st time I've had wafer-thin T-bone steaks !!
It was nice that it was Adults only, & we met some lovely folk there.
Antonio, our Rep was great - special thanks to him for his help at the airport - it made all the difference.
This Hotel has the potential to be 5*, but if they do not get the Time-share touts under control - we would not return - they gave us unneeded stress.

Room Tip: Away from the swim-up pool & theatre - if you want a peaceful sleep !!
1  Thank janetnorman786

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Bluebay thanks for your visit!
I have reviewed your feedback with the staff and we appreciated your good comments,
Our staff is working every single day to keep the property in the best conditions.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you want to party with senior citizens.. This is the place!!! The staff does not help you and barely speaks english. The staff also hassles you to purchase member packages for $3,000 and to buy different things around the resort. They get mad when you do not buy in. Rooms are disgusting. Your bed will look shabby, nothing luxiourious about the room. The pictures online are not at all how the rooms looks. Phone did not work also and room was super small for two people. I paid for a balcony view, no balcony at all. Food was OK, no spanish food thou, only American and Oriental. Drinks were good also and strong. Night life is wack.. they perform some days but it seems like they are still practicing during the shows. Some staff are accomodating and friendly but it depends on your race.. how you will be treated there. Completely a waste of money in my opinion. Pick anoher resort.

Pluses (+)
-3 min away from Playa Doroda
-Place is very clean.

Room Tip: The rooms are horrible, if you do not buy into there $3,000 blue bay program.. looking for luxury or...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank niaj22

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Bluebay thanks for your visit!
I have reviewed your feedback with the staff and we sincerely regret you did not enjoy your stay in our property. Our main goal is provide good value to our guests, and regret that we failed to meet expectations on your stay.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Let me start by saying we booked this trip two weeks before departure as a last minute decision. I read the reviews and was not expecting a 5 star. We paid considerably less than a lot of other guests. No upgrades or extras.

Overall ratings:
Staff was overall great. Friendly and warm. Yes, there were maybe two or three staff who obviously were not happy at their job. But the nice ones far made up for these people. Special mention to waiter Raphael and beach bartender Pablo.

Maid service was good. Rooms were cleaned promptly and they did a good job.

Food was surprisingly good. There is always something to eat. No, you won't like everything they serve but if you expect that you should not go to an all inclusive.

Rooms are what I would compare to a Motel 6. Very stark, old bed sheets and comforter. No area just to sit and relax. No dresser to put your clothes in. A closet is all you get. There are two English channels on the basic tv service. Beds are hard. AC works fine. Paid for the safe to store our valuables. No biggie.

Bars are ok. Booze is definitely watered down or cheap and very weak.

The beach is very nice. Lots of chairs but limited palapas and shade which means you have to get up good and early to get shade.

I didn't use the pool but it seemed fine. The landscaping and property overall is immaculate.

Annoyances that really hampered our trip.

Towels are a huge issue at this resort. There were never enough beach towels. If you finally get some you would have to keep the same ones for two to three days and argue with the girl who controls them if you want to change them. Then the towels in the rooms.......we waited three days for a face towel and had to ask three times for bath towels as the dirty towels were taken away but not replaced with fresh ones.

The entertainment is LOUD.....way too loud for such a small resort and small crowd of people. Our room was outside the pool so if you wanted to nap in the afternoon or go to bed early forget about getting any peace and quiet until 11pm-12:30 am. I would have changed rooms but was told none were available.

There were some very rude, loud guests from another country. I realize this is an adults only resort but I could do without the guy who stripped naked on the beach to change clothes.

We were never really harassed about time shares. The sales people are obvious around the resort but if you give them the "don't bother me" vibe they will leave you alone.

The beach vendors are a constant thing. Yes it could be annoying but a good firm no and they keep walking. I did get a massage on the beach for 20 bucks. And it was really good. You have to remember they are making a living. Better than begging that you will get in some other countries.

We did not do any excursions but were disappointed there really wasn't anything to see outside the resort that we could walk to. The shopping plaza near by was mostly deserted and uninspiring.

We would not return to this resort but were satisfied with the experience we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Rooms near the spa are the quietest.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MustangAnn
Angela V, Public Relations Manager at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Bluebay thanks a lot for your visit to our property.
I have reviewed your comments with the staff, and we sincerely appreciate your feedback, which helps us get better in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Let me start out with the few bad things:

This was our second stay at BlueBay. I had pointed out in a couple of different emails ahead of time that this was our second visit to BBVD. Based on other reviews and comments, we expected some little acknowledgement that we were returning guests. Nothing. No welcome. No "we're so glad you came back". No extras or perks. In fact, when I mentioned to several people upon arrival that this was a return visit, the only reaction we got was from the TimeShare sellers, who slumped and realized that we would not waste our time listening to their spiel. Not the worst thing in the world, but I guess that I went there with an expectation of being treated as a returning family member. It was more the letdown than the action itself.

The next one is a big one (to me). We got a Gold Deluxe room. I had a hard time finding anything about what that means, but finally found some posts (here on tripadvisor) that listed some of the perks of Gold Deluxe -- it said that you get credit at the spa, unlimited a la carte restaurant visits, a welcome basket of fruit, and a few other goodies like that. To be fair, this was NOT written by BBVD, but by a person who had visited. The problem is, there was NOTHING given to us for paying the extra $20 per night to upgrade to Gold Deluxe. I went to the front desk and asked. The guy said that there is no spa credit, but that we do get unlimited a la carte. Ok, so I go over to Guest Services to sign up for a la carte reservations, and he says absolutely not. We get 3, just like everybody else. I ask him what Gold Deluxe means. He hems and haws, and finally says that it means we got a renovated room. Really? And what did Gold Deluxe give you before they started renovating? And what will it mean after? I don't think there is anything called Gold Deluxe. It is just a way to take more money. DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR SILVER OR GOLD DELUXE. It is just a marketing ripoff. If we go back there (as if they would notice - see item 1 above), we will certainly not pay for Gold Deluxe.

Final criticism. Based on posts here, I emailed a few weeks ahead of time and requested a specific building and asked for top floor. I thought that 1) emailing early, 2) being a return customer and 3) paying for Gold Deluxe would help me get the room I wanted. Nope. It did not. And they didn't seem to care.

I thought about going to management to complain about 2 and 3, but decided that I wasn't going to let these things spoil our vacation. So we just went about our business.

Now for the good.

We really like the resort. Having adults only keeps out the whining kids. It keeps the kids from sticking their hands in the food at the buffet. The beach is very nice. We have been to a resort at Bayahibe in the south. It is very rocky getting into the water. If you don't have beach shoes, you will get cut. Not so at Blue Bay. The sand is plentiful and the beach is comfortable. A minor beef, but it seems common to all resorts -- there are not enough palapas. I don't know how those people lay out in the direct sun all day, but my fair skin can't. So I got up early and got to the beach by 8 every day. We just barely got a palapa at that time most days. And then there were the people who had already gotten up and reserved a palapa and chairs, then left. They usually come back about 10 or so. As I said, this seems to happen everywhere, so I can't complain about BBVD.

The food is good. Not spectacular. I didn't find the a la cartes to be much better than the buffet. It is still nice to have a more private, quiet place to sit, but the there was nothing great about them. I had heard that the asian fusion was supposed to be wonderful. We got in there one night, and again, the food was nice, but nothing remarkable. The buffet is typical. Plenty of food. Decent variety. I can see getting tired of it after a while, but it was fine for us.

The rooms were nice. We didn't spend a lot of time in them (beach from 8am to 6pm, then dinner, then the show, then bed). The beds were ok. Housekeeping did a nice job of sweeping up the sand, and keeping them clean.

The staff was great. Everyone is friendly and as helpful as they can be.

The entertainment at night is kind of cheesy, but it passes the time and is worth a laugh or two. I left early once or twice, and my wife didn't even bother going a couple of times.

I can't speak to the drinks, as we don't do alcohol (I know, I know. Why go to an All-Inclusive if you don't drink).

There seem to be lots more vendors on the beach than there were 2 years ago. Back then, there was just Cheapo Willy. Now there seem to be hundreds. They pretty much leave you alone if you tell them to. We don't mind looking at their stuff. My wife doesn't mind *buying* their stuff.

Transportation is easy. You can get a cab at the airport and it is a 15 minute ride to the resort. Cabs are also easy to find at the resort. We grabbed one to just take a ride one day. Another to get back to the airport. Excursions are easy. We set up a trip to Paradise Island at one of the booths in the Plaza. We had a great time snorkeling and sunning ourselves.

Overall, we had a good time. Spent a lot of time just relaxing at the beach. I read 3 or 4 books, and we took walks and jumped in the water once in a while. Despite the few things that disappointed us (mainly, the check in stuff where we were anticipating better), we like this place and will probably return some day, but with lesser expectations.

4  Thank EvergreenCO_Traveler

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Bluebay thank you for your visit again to our property. I have reviewed your comments with staff and we regret for any inconvenience. Our Property had a specifics welcome amenities for repetitive guest. We look forward to welcome you once again.

Please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.