“Great Great Time!!!!!”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I have travelled in many parts of the Caribbean over the years and for the value of the Blue Bay, we will certainly be returning. When we arrived we were greeted with smiles, and a cocktail. The concierge took our bags and since our room wasn't yet ready, allowed us to change into our swimsuits and hit up the pool. When we finally did check into the room, it was nothing special. Basically a closet, bed, tv, and bathroom, and all seemed to need updates. Being that we didn't plan on spending too much time in the room it was easy to overlook, and for what we paid for our trip it made it even easier to overlook.
The only negative part of the trip did happen the first night, we were in our room enjoying some alone time, when the maid knocked on the door, (this was at 7 pm) and we panicked and started saying NO THANK YOU very very loudly. We couldn't even finish saying that before the maid walked in. Now I understand the maid doing her job, but I am sorry, it is completely ludicrous that she was coming by at 7 pm, after we had just checked in, to clean our room. From that point on we kept the "Do not Disturb" tag on the door at all times, except when we wanted fresh towels. Thank god it didn't ruin our trip completely though.
As far as the food goes, the buffet was definitely one of the better all inclusive buffets I have been to. The food was always hot, restocked, and each night had a different theme. Lunch and breakfast had good options too. My favorite part though was the huge soup canister of hot chocolate every morning at breakfast. That was pretty awesome.
The a la carte restaurants were good, and we found that if you tip the first time, the staff will sit you with out a problem even without a reservation. Like a lot of the reviews, I agree that the Asian fusion restaurant was the best of the 3, but the other two were definitely not bad, just not as good as the asian spot.
The bars were also really great, the bartenders were spot on, and I don't think I ever went longer then a few minutes without a fresh drink in my hand. The swim up bar got pretty crowded later in the day, but we spent most of the day there so we never had trouble getting a seat. The beach bar was also awesome, and open 24 hours, which is kind of a not spoken about thing. The guys on the beach were annoying, but left you alone if you said a firm no. We did buy one of our excursions from them, which was fine, and cheaper then the hotel. It was the quad trip, which was phenomenal, just not for us. The beach was clean, the water was gorgeous and there were kayaks, wind surfing, and other water sports to play with. Being from a beach town on Long Island I think I can say I know a good beach, and I was very please with Blue Bays
Lastly, was the staff. All I can say is wow, you guys really work hard, and it pays off. I had a blast every day with the Anamacion team, they worked so hard every day, getting everyone into the activities, and we had a blast. At first we were a little hesitant about joining in, but ended up participating and had a lot of fun doing so. There were a few people who wanted nothing to do with the staff, but hey, every all inclusive place I have been to (except Bahamas) has an entertainment crew. It makes it fun, and keeps you from getting bored just sitting at the pool bar every day. We had cocktail making contests, a pineapple toss, sushi classes, and lots of other fun stuff, and we enjoyed them all. The night shows were amazing, especially the Halloween show. We didn't know what to expect for the Halloween stuff there, but the Blue Bay staff was amazing, with dance numbers, and really really entertaining.

Overall we had an amazing trip. We traveled off season, which I think helped a lot because there weren't too many people over crowding, and we were able to make some great friends since there was really only a handful of people staying there at once. We are planning on coming back next year, and now know to use the Do Not Disturb on the door. Also, just a sidenote, the "Vacation Club" sales pitch wasn't awful, they were nice, and it lasted about 30 minutes. We met a lot of people who were members though and really spoke highly of it, so we are definitely considering joining in the future. But it really wasn't that bad, at all.

Room Tip: Try to request a room by the spa, its quieter for the most part, and there is a small pool, coffee m...
1  Thank Kristen B
Write a ReviewReviews (5,809)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Blue Bay Villas. Really cant understand where the negative reviews are coming from. We had an excellent holiday and are already looking to return next year! The size of the hotel makes it easy to get around. We spent some days on the beach and were concerned about the vendors after reading reviews on here. However, a polite no thank you is absolutely fine although sometimes you might want to say yes! - I had a manicure by Ave Maria on the beach and she did a brilliant job! Other times we spent by the pool and really enjoyed meeting new friends around the swim up bar! The animation team - George, Mayo, James Bond, Leo and little Pecki - pocket rocket (get well soon) made our holiday all the more enjoyable - they work amazingly hard and are always friendly. Rocky and Santos at the pool bar were fabulous and Raphael and Nilsen in the buffet always had a big smile and warm greeting whenever you saw them. The food in the buffet was excellent and so we didn't try any of the restaurants. The evening shows were good fun and the Halloween show was fabulous. Don't have a bad word to say about anything and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in block 7 overlooking the spa which was nice and quiet
3  Thank Jules1011
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is the fourth time in DR for me, different hotels each time and the previous 3 have been of a very similar and excellent standard. Having looked around the Blue Bay 3 years ago - (time share presentation!) - I was really impressed with the standard of the room that we were shown and the hotel so I was really looking forward to this holiday.

On arrival we were told to give our bank account details to reception - why? Our stay at the hotel was paid for on an all inclusive basis!

We were told we were in room 3210 - what a let down. Really dark and dingy, not a bit like the brochure or what we had been shown on our presentation. Day 2 we asked for extra pillows - which we got - but then they were taken away again on day 3. We asked for a kettle rather than coffee maker and were promised for 3 days that we would get one, then told they don't have them. It was common to return to our room to have a shower to find that we had no towels. On one occasion the cleaner knocked the door, and on opening it, I was handed the clean pillow cases to put on the bed myself - they were still wet!! The mini bar after your first bottle of pepsi and sprite consists of just water - so not really all inclusive at all!!. If you want the soft drinks replenished you have to pay $10 - not my experience in the other hotels I have stayed at. The bedding stank of cigarettes and the top cover was filthy.

The pool area is dangerous with cracked and broken tiles and sharp shards of concrete around the pool area that has worked loose from the tiling.

On the only plus side, the food is really good and plentiful.

After breakfast, you cannot get a drink of tea or coffee unless you go to the beach - there is none available around the pool area. Trying to get a drink at the swim up bar if you don't actually want to go in the pool is difficult as the bartender has their back to you as they are concentrating on serving the people in the pool. There is very little alcoholic content to the drinks that you will be served. Drinks are served in small plastic cups that are half filled with ice so you will not be drinking much anyway!

The noise from the loudspeakers used by the animation team is constant - so don't think you will be relaxing quietly for long. We decided to sit on the beach to get away from the noise only to find the animation crew setting the speakers up on the beach!! In fact, unlike the other hotels in DR that I have been to, there is no where here to get away from the noise and sit quietly at the end of the day away from the entertainment unless you want to sit in reception where you have to pay for your drinks.

As for the prostitutes that people have remarked about in their reviews, I can only say sadly that it is true. Very young girls in the company of extremely old men - the girls only seem to be hotel guests for one night and they can be seen to recoil from the touch of their companions when in the dining room. I even heard one of the hotel employees on the beach asking a young guy what sort of girl he would like him to get for him - and then making a phone call to arrange it.

I will definitely NEVER go back to this hotel and would recommend anyone who is considering it to book somewhere else. This has really spoiled my DR experience. The hotel should be removed from the Thomson brochure - without a doubt this is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in.

4  Thank fishingmick
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week amazing stay at the blue bays ,from thomson flight to the hotel every thing was spot on,the animation team are amazing,the staff cant do enough for you the manegeress is always around to talk to and regulaly asks if everything is ok ,we booked some trips with luis on the beach and felt very safe at all times (paradise island)(rum factory,cable cars )are a must perfect days out ,the sellers on the beach have a good laugh with you (cheepy willy )will chant is songs to you ,pablo on the beach is amazing,but to br fair all the bar staff are ,the place is kept clean at all times they really do work hard and always smile and say hello to you ,
vicky the thomson rep is excellent and is always on hand to help you ,
we stayed in blook 7 the room was very clean the maids cleaned it every day and put clean towels and sheets on the beds ,when we was there we celabrated a 50 birthday from the excellent staff to precious friends we have met it was a fantastic celabration with every one involved,we are already looking at booking this hotel and are already missing the friends and staff,i would highly recomend the blue bays ,john and cheryl xx

Room Tip: make sure you tip the staff they really do look after you
1  Thank biggalow
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel was FABULOUS! AMAZING! From the moment we got on our bus to the hotel until our last day it was worth getting on a 9 and half hour flight to go an see!! The staff are wonderful!! The Animacion team were FANTASTIC!!! This was our first time to the Dominican Republic and we will be going again. The cleanliness is fab, the facilities couldnt fault at all!! We travelled in Oct/Nov 2013 and i can definitely recommend going and staying here. The food was great, entertainment every night was great, even the day trips out they were FAB!! For an adults only hotel there is lots to do to keep you occupied, it was quite nice not to have kids running around shouting! Please please go!! Cant stress that enough. We travelled with my husbands parents and they we very impressed too!! so for all ages!!

Our flight with Thompson was faultless too!! Smooth flight there and back. Have flown with Thompson before so i recommend them anyway.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the swimming pools on the top level are perfect when sitting on your balcony...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank AJUpton
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just back from a two week stay at this establishment, to say Im disappointed is an understatement. Where to start....
Check in
Rounded up in foyer of hotel and addressed by an individual who spoke very fast in very bad English, had an envelope shoved at me, sorted thro the contents and couldn't make any sense of any of it, I dared to ask for help and the guy tore th envelope from my grasp rifled thro it and shoved a piece of paper at me demanding I sign and put my bank card details on the form, I signed but refused to put card details, he then passed the key wrote down the room number and beckoned me away. Just the thing after a long arduous trip.
The room
Nothing like pictures, tired tv, very dirty esp under bed, very dark room outlooking trees and side road., broken light switch on passage to room, so very gloomy.
Noise from late evening activities very loud in room, could also hear upstairs guests very clearly.
The pool
The pools were very nice but the tile surrounds were cracked and quite nasty easy to trip on and cut feet. The pool walls had broken tiles all around. Nice sunbeds, entertainment team a real pain and very noisy
The dining room
Was excellent food plentiful, and staff were superb
The beach
This was a real haven from the dreaded entertainment team, except for a couple hours during the week when they tried their utmost to spoil it. The walk thro to the beach was ok but quite smelly.
Miscellaneous
There seemed to be some nice rooms all over the site but these were way above what we had.
Sadly over the first weekend we were there it was a bank holiday and the hotel got swamped with locals from Friday to Monday and it was a nightmare, it was tough to find anywhere around the pools to sit and the beach area was very crowded and noisy.
It also appeared to be a bit busy with older guys and younger girls staying for a single night.
For anyone who goes to play golf, be aware that apart from green fees you have to pay 30us$ for a cart, 15$ to caddyshack, Tip the caddy 15/20$ per game, plus pay for club storage, if you are playing 7 times it sure works out a lot of dosh.

I don't know what I expected of an adults only hotel, but it sure wasn't what I got, even the playa dorado area is looking run down with 6 hotels shut down, ah well lesson learned and a return visit definitely not on the cards

Room Tip: don't go in the blocks, try for the individual villas
4  Thank ellimaro
Reviewed November 12, 2013

First of all forget all the negatives comments about this hotel, they must of been staying at a different place. From check in to room allocation very good, room lovely as we got block 7 opposite the spa which had been reburbished with flat screen tv, very clean at all times. The staff were all excellent and so was the manager Inness. The animation team George,Mayo, James Bond,Leo and commando never stopped entertaining and worked so hard to make the holiday exceptional, but if you wanted sleep or a quiet time understood this. Would like to say a big thank you to Pablo at the beach bar, the best barman ever, even served you on the beach. The sellers on the beach are nothing to do with the hotel, they are trying to earn a living are really nice people and understand the words no thank you and leave you alone, no need to be rude to any of them. If you are thinking of booking any trips see Luis on the beach very reasonable and safe and secure. All in all we had a great time met some lovely people made new friends(you know who you are)and would %100 go back their without hesitation.

Room Tip: Email the hotel first for a refurbished room, we did and got it, however all rooms are being done
2  Thank MarkandDebs2013