My boyfriend and I have travelled in many parts of the Caribbean over the years and for the value of the Blue Bay, we will certainly be returning. When we arrived we were greeted with smiles, and a cocktail. The concierge took our bags and since our room wasn't yet ready, allowed us to change into our swimsuits and hit up the pool. When we finally did check into the room, it was nothing special. Basically a closet, bed, tv, and bathroom, and all seemed to need updates. Being that we didn't plan on spending too much time in the room it was easy to overlook, and for what we paid for our trip it made it even easier to overlook.
The only negative part of the trip did happen the first night, we were in our room enjoying some alone time, when the maid knocked on the door, (this was at 7 pm) and we panicked and started saying NO THANK YOU very very loudly. We couldn't even finish saying that before the maid walked in. Now I understand the maid doing her job, but I am sorry, it is completely ludicrous that she was coming by at 7 pm, after we had just checked in, to clean our room. From that point on we kept the "Do not Disturb" tag on the door at all times, except when we wanted fresh towels. Thank god it didn't ruin our trip completely though.
As far as the food goes, the buffet was definitely one of the better all inclusive buffets I have been to. The food was always hot, restocked, and each night had a different theme. Lunch and breakfast had good options too. My favorite part though was the huge soup canister of hot chocolate every morning at breakfast. That was pretty awesome.
The a la carte restaurants were good, and we found that if you tip the first time, the staff will sit you with out a problem even without a reservation. Like a lot of the reviews, I agree that the Asian fusion restaurant was the best of the 3, but the other two were definitely not bad, just not as good as the asian spot.
The bars were also really great, the bartenders were spot on, and I don't think I ever went longer then a few minutes without a fresh drink in my hand. The swim up bar got pretty crowded later in the day, but we spent most of the day there so we never had trouble getting a seat. The beach bar was also awesome, and open 24 hours, which is kind of a not spoken about thing. The guys on the beach were annoying, but left you alone if you said a firm no. We did buy one of our excursions from them, which was fine, and cheaper then the hotel. It was the quad trip, which was phenomenal, just not for us. The beach was clean, the water was gorgeous and there were kayaks, wind surfing, and other water sports to play with. Being from a beach town on Long Island I think I can say I know a good beach, and I was very please with Blue Bays
Lastly, was the staff. All I can say is wow, you guys really work hard, and it pays off. I had a blast every day with the Anamacion team, they worked so hard every day, getting everyone into the activities, and we had a blast. At first we were a little hesitant about joining in, but ended up participating and had a lot of fun doing so. There were a few people who wanted nothing to do with the staff, but hey, every all inclusive place I have been to (except Bahamas) has an entertainment crew. It makes it fun, and keeps you from getting bored just sitting at the pool bar every day. We had cocktail making contests, a pineapple toss, sushi classes, and lots of other fun stuff, and we enjoyed them all. The night shows were amazing, especially the Halloween show. We didn't know what to expect for the Halloween stuff there, but the Blue Bay staff was amazing, with dance numbers, and really really entertaining.
Overall we had an amazing trip. We traveled off season, which I think helped a lot because there weren't too many people over crowding, and we were able to make some great friends since there was really only a handful of people staying there at once. We are planning on coming back next year, and now know to use the Do Not Disturb on the door. Also, just a sidenote, the "Vacation Club" sales pitch wasn't awful, they were nice, and it lasted about 30 minutes. We met a lot of people who were members though and really spoke highly of it, so we are definitely considering joining in the future. But it really wasn't that bad, at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BlueBay Hotels & Resorts, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic