“Undecided”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Having read up on the reviews for the Blue Bay Villas I thought I would try and give an honest account of how I think the hotel was. My boyfriend and another couple of friends stayed at the Bluebay for the first two weeks in October. During our stay it was my birthday and our friends wedding anniversary.
First impressions were good, the hotel reception area and the grounds were lovely and always kept clean. We were all greeted with a welcome drink, however we were not allowed to take our cases to our rooms. We had to wait 40 minutes before our cases arrived, and trust me it was extremely hot and all we wanted to do after a long day travelling was to have a shower and change our clothes. The room was lovely facing the quiet spa pool, cannot fault the room, people complain about having nowhere to put your clothes, but we did not have this problem in our room. The maids clean your rooms every day, change the bed sheets and provide clean towels.
We had no problem at all with the food at this hotel, there was always plenty of choices and we never had a problem getting a seat in the buffet restaurant. The staff are brilliant, always topping your drinks up and we never came across a single member of staff that was miserable. We also had no problems booking the al a carte restaurants. Our friends were given a complimentary special meal for their wedding anniversary but they don't do the same for birthdays.
The animation team were very good and we did join in the games by the pools, beach and on the main stage in the evening. I thought the entertainment was good in the evening but it does finish at 11.pm. After that you can go to the disco at the beach bar, which is on until 3.am but not every night. Now I must add that the disco is absolute RUBBISH, the dj has no idea when it comes to music. At the weekends when the locals arrive all he plays is the same half a dozen songs over and over again. Trust me it does your head in, when we asked the dj to change the music he did put some English songs on but again it was very repetitive and Michael Jackson seems to be his favourite choice. Talking of which, during the day on the beach thats all you heard, over and over again was a Michael Jackson cd, earplugs recommended. We did complain about the music but nothing was done about it.
Went in the pools for the first few days but decided not to go in them again after witnessing a couple having sex in one of the pools. Witnessed a couple of teenage prostitutes that were no older than 16 sunbathing naked on the beach. Friends whom we met at the hotel were on their honeymoon and were unfortunate enough to be next to the girls, they complained about this and the fact that the hotel allowed prostitutes into the hotel to have sex in the pools. The management stated that they would make a daily announcement to state that sex in public is not acceptable at the hotel and for people to use their hotel rooms instead. Mmmmmm! not sure that is the right way forward as prostitutes are still allowed to parade around the hotel.
The time share people are arrogant and we just totally ignored them, they got the hint and left us alone. There are a lot of people trying to sell you things on the beach, in fact its like having your own market on the beach lol. But they tend TO recognize you after a few days and leave you alone.
Overall this hotel would be brilliant if they made some minor changes. For example sack the DJ, stop the prostitutes and to bring in some strict rules regarding the time share salesmen, as when people say they are not interested in buying a timeshare these salesmen should respect that decision and stop harassing you.
We did meet some fabulous people and many thanks to them as they all made our holiday a memorable one.
P.S would recommend buying your trips from the guy at the beach, much cheaper , in fact we paid half the price of what it would cost from the rep. Paradise Island is a must, was not too impressed with the jeep safari as it included the waterfalls, and you need to be very fit to attempt to climb them all. We also went horse riding for 2 hours, this only cost us £8.50 each and we loved it. We also went to the local casino/disco with the animation team one night and enjoyed it. (by the way the music was brill unlike the hotel music)
To sum up, would I go again, if some changes were made to this hotel then yes I would go back and also recommend it to other people.

4  Thank Sharon S
There are newer reviews for BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Well where to begin, spent 6 months working 7 day weeks to be able to afford this honey moon treat, from start to finish it was a complete nightmare!
Although when we booked with Thompson we had questioned the whole adult only thing (meaning is there any sexual reason for it being adult only) Thompson had totally reassured us that it was nothing like that "adult only simply means NO CHILDREN " . Well the first day at blue bay villas we had the shock of our life's !! Sex in the pools with extremely young local girls and this became a regular sight , hence us never using the pools on complex. Older American men seeking concierge at hotel to arrange such visits from local underage girls . After 3 days of constantly asking to see the manager to discuss this and other things eg: NO air con for a whole week in our substandard room , the water from taps and shower cut off for an evening , the maids not replenishing our fridge with fresh drinking water in 40 degree heat , no clean towels & our room taking until 5 in the evening to be cleaned, and don't forget the constant VIP invites to managers cocktail parties in order to sell you time shares. Being harassed on the beach constantly by the walking market, I could go on and on . Whilst on the surface this resort looks ideal for rest and re coup after a wedding and would seem luxury at a glance it is nothing short of extremely disappointing after 3 days I was crying and wanted to fly home. The hotel was opened at weekends to all and beach parties held until 2 am loud and very rowdy. The time share guys work on commission only and are based within the hotel so as we found there is no escape , and if you don't agree to spend 60 mins at a meeting will hunt you down on the beach to have a go at you about not going and loosing them there commission . When my husband finally got a meeting with the manager Inness, which again took 3 days of constantly having to ask at reception and in the end having to raise his voice and lodge a complaint with Thompson rep. She seemed extremely laid back and not particularly concerned about our disastrous honey moon but tried to offer compensation of a day trip entrance only and a massage and a meal . As my husband said thank you but to little to late . In our second week it didn't get much better naked 14& 15 yr old girls on beach parading for young American men who where equally shocked and disgusted . And whilst we can except every culture is different we have been assured by some staff at blue bay that this shouldn't be happening but regularly does and it's not a cultural thing ,I am shocked that this hotel allows and will seek out these young girls for your pleasure . The only thing I can positively say about this resort is the beach is ok the weather is stunning and the people we met from various places in England and America ( not all looking for young girls) where amazing and made our honeymoon bearable . So in short ! Utterly devastated !! We can never get our honeymoon back and we owe that to you BLUEBAY villas puerto plata !! Thanks for ruining the supposedly best romantic two weeks we should of had !! .

• Stayed: October 2013
8  Thank Wifey2013
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at Blue Bay for 5 days. I had a very good first impression. grounds are clean and well kept. The hotel is not huge but adequate. Reception was very professional and accommodating. Nice 3 pools and a nice beach. The Asian Restaurant and The Seafood Restaurant were very good. Table servers were excellent but over-worked. Our room was clean and comfortable.

You would think I would come back to this place in a heartbeat. Wrong. I will never go back to this place again. Why?

Buffet: is horrible, unsanitary. The kitchen staff do not use gloves so, when I saw one of them come out behind the counter to replace clean plates and sneezes, wipes his hand on his uniform and continues to handle clean plates...almost made me throw up. Also, the same person on another day decides to stand behind the food counter picking his nose and grabbing tortillas out of a bag and putting it on the grill was too much for me. The food is either under-cooked or recooked leftovers from the previous day. I found hair in two separate occasions in my food. The food was tasteless including the desserts.
So, be prepared to go out of the resort to eat.

The 3 Restaurants on the resort require you book in the morning for the next day or if you are lucky, the same day. I tried to reserve for 4 days ahead and was told by Andres which is also customer service, told me that they were all booked. I asked him why? He was unwilling to respond. So, I was able to get myself into 2 of the Restaurants but, won't say how. I later found out that Andres books for local friends of his that are not staying at the resort and are always there over the weekends. When asked about who oversees the resort, I was told that she is a lady that comes once or twice a month. Must be nice. I feel sorry for the owners of this Resort because it does have lots of potential.

Entertainment: No Good and your lucky if any. Good thing they have nice TV in the room with good channels to watch.

Bars: Besides the money bar, bar maids are nice and friendly if you tip.

Do not purchase VIP because it is not worth the money.

Get ready to pull your own beach chairs and that is if there are any left.

Do not fall for the Time Share. Pedro R did waste my time and because I caught his bluff, he got up and left. Very unprofessional.

Other than the above, This place deserves a 3 stars barely. I feel very bad for the ones that do work very hard.

1  Thank yariness
Reviewed October 23, 2013

we have just arrived home from staying here a week for our honeymoon.
it was no where near what we thought. where to start.
the rooms are terrrible, very basic, not clean, bed linen had ciggerette burns all over it and the pillow cases didnt even fit the pillows. The side boards were filthy and the bathroom was dirty.
The swimming pools were disgusting and what went on in them more so.. plenty of getting down with it was around.. sex in the pool, prostitutes on the beach at night, people doing it on the beds etc. it was one thing i did worry about when booking it was with it being a couples only holiday was there going to be seedy goings on and there was im afraid. plenty of dirty old single men of all nationalities only over there for one thing.
the food was horrible and very basic in the main buffet area..to be fair in the themed restaurants it was much better especially the jade garden. and they did do a nice honeymoon night in there for us with little personal touches.
when you look at this hotel online it honestly looks better on here then it does in real life. its is so need of revamping. the best bit of it is the reception, which is lovely but the rooms are a big let down.
and if you want quite time at any point you best put ear plugs in because its boom boom all the bloody time on the beach round the pool, and all it is is the animation team doing there 5[00 hundred dances to some rubbish. the entertainment is crap, honestly its the worst ive seen. didnt bother towards the end of the week.
the best things for us were the trips we did and the weather. we did paradise island and ocean world and they were great. without those two days i dont know what we would of done. we also hired a jet ski at the hotel which was good. oh and the kayaks and sail boat are free, but we got fobbed by the bloke on the beach sying it was $20 each insurance which you can choose to pay its not a must like we were told. i tell you now they will skin you for what youve got out hthere at any opportunity. dont trust to easily. then theres the beach sellers who do your nut in but you get them everywhere like that.
i have read loads of reviews on here and read peoples that moan and think to my self oh what misserys but honestly im not like that im jsut honestly wanting you guys to know especially those picking it for honeymoon you can get better for your money definately. i wished we chad gone iberostar or riu. im sure they all have there problems but this place was seedy.

2  Thank Lilly C
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was second trip to this hotel, my first stay being four years ago. I stayed for one week.
It was nice to see that on my return there were still staff there that I had met previously.
On arrival, I was given a cocktail and allocated my room immediately. I enquired about the in-room safe which costs three dollars a night but unfortunately they did not have any cards available at that time to programme the safe so for the first night that was unavailable, but I did get a card the next morning.
The room was clean and also contained a fridge with a mini bar that was restocked daily. Coffee machine was also to hand as well as an iron and ironing board.
Housekeeping were great! My bed was changed daily and also all the towels.
Staff in general are helpful and always on hand to help. Most staff speak English which is really helpful if your Spanish is rusty.
WIFI is available at the hotel but is not free. You can purchase 25hrs for twenty five dollars which can only be used on one device.
Breakfast is great as there is a wide range of breads, fruits, cold meats and eggs cooked fresh to your requirements.
Lunch pretty much caters for everyone as well as the dinner menus. The sweets are divine!
Dinner in the buffet restaurant is fine. You will find something to eat.
Entertainment was okay.
I felt safe at the resort at all times and I would return there again.

Room Tip: Don't take a Garden view room as they tend to be really noisy as people have to walk past them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank djmig30
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Have just returned from our honeymoon at Blue Bay with very much mixed opinions. There are many good things to say, but equally some things that we were not so happy about.
On arrival it was nice to be greeted with a complimentary drink. However it quickly transpired that the hotel were not aware it was our honeymoon, despite assurances from our travel agent in the UK they would be communicating this to the hotel. Having said that there was no problem in getting an upgraded apartment, which was in the quieter spa pool area. We were then promised a complimentary bowl of fruit and a bottle of rum. The fruit duly arrived, but had to give 3 reminders before the rum was delivered.
Everywhere around, the complex was beautifully maintained, in lovely grounds. The bridge walk, to the beach is lovely and beach staff are quick to bring sun beds over to you. Yes there is a team of beach tradesman, but a polite 'no' is all that is required. It is, after all, a public beach and they are trying to earn a living, so not really a big problem.
All the staff were helpful and friendly and we loved the maids daily shape arrangements of towels and night ware.
Although the more active & energetic leisure pursuits may not have been 'our thing', both being in our late 50's, we certainly recognised the effort and enthusiasm of the animation team.
The three pools are lovely, but there is a problem with the swim bar, in that several guests opted to park themselves there for the day, making it almost impossible to get near it. It would be good if there was a policy of, once you had finished your drink, to move away, to allow others to sit at the bar.
Previous remarks about concerns with the a la carte restaurants are certainly valid, particularly with the grill restaurant, who advertise three different cuts of steak, but which are all exactly the same!
We also found that some dishes were served up, with some of the ingredients missing. When we complained we were told the chef didn't have the ingredients. Maybe they hoped we wouldn't notice!
As for the buffet food, it can only be described as average. It was extremely repetitive and somewhat unimaginative. For example this is supposed to be an island that boasts about it's fish dishes. However all we got, every day, was grouper.
Our biggest gripe was having to put up with the constant blaring of loud disco music, throughout the day, both at the pool area and on the beach. When I complained I found out that music should have only been played, during activities. Bearing in mind the majority of guests were over 40, surely there could have been more suitable music.
All in all, whilst we enjoyed our stay, it didn't provide the wow factor that would entice us to return.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room ask for one in the spa pool area, if you don't want to be disturbed b...
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I have arrived home from the bluebay after a relaxing 2 week holiday there. We had never been to the carribean before so didn't know what to expect. The hotel was lovely and very clean. The room was basic but it served its purpose. King sized bed,very comfortable.The safe in the room was very reasonable. $3 per day. Not a lot of room to store your clothes,then again all you need is shorts and t shirts. Nice to have a fridge in the room. The food was great, would of liked another buffet restaurant to choose from.Being all inclusive with just one buffet restaurant did get abit boring. The restaurant staff were great.Raphael loves to teach you Spanish.There are 3 Ala carte restaurants,which guests are allowed to have 3 free meals a week. Steak grill,oriental and a fish restaurant. All basic but very nice. The animation team are great, they don't hassle you to do the entertainment. James bond and la peki are fab. The beach is lovely, you are on the atlantic ocean side of the island so maybe not as great at the carribean sea side. You do get hassled by sellers on the beach but just say no and they should leave you. Theres security on the beach to look after you. The hotel does get overrun at the weekends by the locals and you feel as though they take over. Lots of disgusting habits in the pool like sweaty people jumping in and people blowing their nose into their hands and washing it into the pool. We heard of people having sex in the pool and people being sick in the pool but didn't see it. We also heard that the hotel hire very young prostitutes to guests but didn't really notice that either.We did see some dirty goings on in the pool and the staff do turn a blind eye. Then again it is an adults only hotel. All in all it is a lovely place to stay and October is when you should have the better weather. Staff are great and so is the food. Book a couples massage in the spa, well worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms beginning with 6 are a good bet.
3  Thank chaz1974