Having read up on the reviews for the Blue Bay Villas I thought I would try and give an honest account of how I think the hotel was. My boyfriend and another couple of friends stayed at the Bluebay for the first two weeks in October. During our stay it was my birthday and our friends wedding anniversary.
First impressions were good, the hotel reception area and the grounds were lovely and always kept clean. We were all greeted with a welcome drink, however we were not allowed to take our cases to our rooms. We had to wait 40 minutes before our cases arrived, and trust me it was extremely hot and all we wanted to do after a long day travelling was to have a shower and change our clothes. The room was lovely facing the quiet spa pool, cannot fault the room, people complain about having nowhere to put your clothes, but we did not have this problem in our room. The maids clean your rooms every day, change the bed sheets and provide clean towels.
We had no problem at all with the food at this hotel, there was always plenty of choices and we never had a problem getting a seat in the buffet restaurant. The staff are brilliant, always topping your drinks up and we never came across a single member of staff that was miserable. We also had no problems booking the al a carte restaurants. Our friends were given a complimentary special meal for their wedding anniversary but they don't do the same for birthdays.
The animation team were very good and we did join in the games by the pools, beach and on the main stage in the evening. I thought the entertainment was good in the evening but it does finish at 11.pm. After that you can go to the disco at the beach bar, which is on until 3.am but not every night. Now I must add that the disco is absolute RUBBISH, the dj has no idea when it comes to music. At the weekends when the locals arrive all he plays is the same half a dozen songs over and over again. Trust me it does your head in, when we asked the dj to change the music he did put some English songs on but again it was very repetitive and Michael Jackson seems to be his favourite choice. Talking of which, during the day on the beach thats all you heard, over and over again was a Michael Jackson cd, earplugs recommended. We did complain about the music but nothing was done about it.
Went in the pools for the first few days but decided not to go in them again after witnessing a couple having sex in one of the pools. Witnessed a couple of teenage prostitutes that were no older than 16 sunbathing naked on the beach. Friends whom we met at the hotel were on their honeymoon and were unfortunate enough to be next to the girls, they complained about this and the fact that the hotel allowed prostitutes into the hotel to have sex in the pools. The management stated that they would make a daily announcement to state that sex in public is not acceptable at the hotel and for people to use their hotel rooms instead. Mmmmmm! not sure that is the right way forward as prostitutes are still allowed to parade around the hotel.
The time share people are arrogant and we just totally ignored them, they got the hint and left us alone. There are a lot of people trying to sell you things on the beach, in fact its like having your own market on the beach lol. But they tend TO recognize you after a few days and leave you alone.
Overall this hotel would be brilliant if they made some minor changes. For example sack the DJ, stop the prostitutes and to bring in some strict rules regarding the time share salesmen, as when people say they are not interested in buying a timeshare these salesmen should respect that decision and stop harassing you.
We did meet some fabulous people and many thanks to them as they all made our holiday a memorable one.
P.S would recommend buying your trips from the guy at the beach, much cheaper , in fact we paid half the price of what it would cost from the rep. Paradise Island is a must, was not too impressed with the jeep safari as it included the waterfalls, and you need to be very fit to attempt to climb them all. We also went horse riding for 2 hours, this only cost us £8.50 each and we loved it. We also went to the local casino/disco with the animation team one night and enjoyed it. (by the way the music was brill unlike the hotel music)
To sum up, would I go again, if some changes were made to this hotel then yes I would go back and also recommend it to other people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic