We arrived at the resort from the Metro bus station on Friday evening. We were welcomed into the beautiful resort with a tasty and blissful fruit drink. We were given "VIP" bracelets that were translucent. Little did we know, we were NOT VIPs, but only standard guests. The check in process was incredibly easy. We filled out our guest cards and showed our passports. We were then given a tour around the property and showed to our room.
We ate dinner int he main restaurant before it closed. It was a buffet and the food was delicious. We then went to the pool for free drinks and entertainment. The dining and entertainment staff were absolutely wonderful and accommodating.
The next day we ate breakfast and went to the beach. On our way, a staff member stopped us and made some small talk. He then said he had something special for us since we were first time guests. We unknowingly walked into a trap--- a timeshare presentation! We kept declining, but the staff kept insisting. It was incredibly frustrating to deal with. From that point on, we were treated differently by some of the staff. They seemed agitated and upset that we did not want to buy their timeshare at a cost of $22,500 with unlimited use for 30 years and financing available for 5 years.
Once we fought our way out of the timeshare presentation, we proceeded to lay out on the beach. We were then told that there was a VIP area and then another area for everyone else. The VIP area was roped inside a small deck. Since we were "VIPs," I figured that we could go into this area, but we were restricted from it because we did not have the "VIP" wristbands. Therefore, we went to the other, general area to lay out on the beach.
We were then hassled by vendors walking along the beach. The vendors were absolute pests! Every time we told them to go away, or we asked them to leave, they still kept asking us to buy things. They would not leave our sides for minutes at a time. Although there were security guards on site, they did nothing to ensure our peace while on vacation. This was truly disappointing. I understand that the vendors need to make a living, but for the amount of money that I paid, I expected to be left alone to enjoy my vacation.
Also, as far as this resort is concerned, ALL INCLUSIVE means that only food, drinks, pool and beach access are included. The over priced spa and the additional tours and trips that the pesky vendors on the property are trying to sell you are NOT included.
By the way, if you want to make dinner reservations at the a la carte restaurants, you need to be at the concierge desk in the front lobby at 9 AM, as the girls at the concierge desk leave early every day.
My advice: If anyone on the property, i.e. a staff member in a white shirt and khaki colored bottoms, asks you if you have been to the resort before, say "Yes" so that they will not try to sell you a timeshare. Also, if you want a peaceful vacation, stay at another resort because they are all side by side in the Playa Dorada area of Puerto Plata!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BlueBay Hotels & Resorts, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic