“My fav place in pto plata”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“My fav place in pto plata”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I had been in this hotel like 5 times with my husband and we love it, because its.
Quiet and selective with their people.
clean and simple décor.
nice staff and night shows.
beautiful grounds
bar pool cozy and with good music and drinks.
spa pool quiet and relaxing. nice coffee/drinks
food its good and different everyday.
coca cola and Rambo are very funny.
the beach its golden sand and not that blue but its ok for me .
the spa girls give the best massage ever, clean and professional
my fav rest. its the seafood one then Japanese.
its my relaxation place away for my kids and someone else kids.

Room Tip: to be quiet next to the spa , to be close to the shows and away from the lagoon the ones in front of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yenyok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Woodbridge, NJ
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I will start by saying that I always read the reviews of every resort that I am going to, months in advance of my trip. This resort was no exception. As I am getting married this year in October, I was looking for a budget conscious place to take a short trip with my fiancee to unwind from the wedding planning stress. We both love Puerto Plaza, and have previously visited Lifestyles for the same type of vacation. We generally stay at resorts such as Excellence and Secrets for our longer trips in the fall, and stay at more cash friendly places for our shorter spring trips.

Overall, this resort was very pleasant for our 4 days. The check in and lobby were quite nice. Our room was in Building 5, facing the back of the resort, with a very private balcony. Make sure to request a balcony if this is important to you because a good portion of the rooms have only windows. Our room was very quiet and peaceful. It was a hike up the stairs with our luggage as we were on the third floor... no elevators!

The pools are very lovely. The swim up bar was surprisingly low key, without the usual ruckus that tends to take place. The water was refreshing and there were not too many loud activities to disrupt the day. The drinks are just okay... no top shelf liquor and they can be alittle watered down.

The beach is beautiful. There is never a problem getting a chair, and the water is a beautiful shade of blue and very peaceful as there are no waves. we spent hours swimming, and it is very quiet. We were often the only ones in the water. We also took long walks on the beach, and got some exercise. If you are looking for souveniers, take a walk on the beach until you get to the Orange Market. Make sure to haggle big time. We got some amazing things for a quarter of the price they first asked for. The vendors on the beach will also approach you... just say no thak you, and they will leave you alone.

My main problem with the resort was the food. Staying for 5 nights only allows you 2 ala carte dinner reservations. Book right away!!!! They fill up very fast even though they are empty when you actually get there. The seafood place was okay. I preferred the steak restaurant because it was open air on the beach and the steaks were very good. The buffet is adequate at best. It is quite small, and can be very monotonous... especially for breakfast. 5 days there, and I did not want to go back to that buffet anymore.

Overall, I enjoyed the short trip. I do not think I would be happy there for longer than a week simply because of thr food. However, the beach makes up for it. I will miss that bridge to the beach!!

If you get a chance, take a trip to Ocean World. It is very fun. Especially swimming in the tiger grotto!!

One more thing... you def will not find many people tipping at this resort. There are not many Americans here, and I did not see any people tipping. However, I feel that it is important to leave a tip at the ala carte restaurants. The servers there are very prompt and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and a third floor room if you want privacy and quiet.
1 Thank Kimberly M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My partner and I sent two weeks here from 4th November 2012 for a 'special' birthday. On arrival we were greeted in the foyer and given rum along with the other guests that had arrived at the same time. We were given a brief talk and then taken to our room. Our room was right by the foyer, two floors up which was not ideal given that my partner had recently undergone surgery on his leg and the balcony was looking out onto a wall as high as the block. We had requested a non smoking room yet this room stunk of smoke. There was no way I was spending two weeks in this room so I went to discuss it with the guy on reception. We were moved to a room a little further down by the small pool, nice location. A few days into the holiday I found a cockroach on the headboard. Fair enough i suppose you could say it was to be expected in the Domincan however when they kept appearing I found it hard to sleep and it did slightly spoil the holiday. I mentioned this to a guy that was walking round spraying the grass one evening and he went into the apartment and fumigated it for us telling us we could return after an hour?!?!

In regards to the food it was mediocre. Nothing special but a huge selection. As vegetarian I ended up having the pasta most lunch times. This was made in front of you with your own selection of ingredients, very nice but for two weeks.......
There are 3 or 4 a la carte restaurants on site which you have to book and I suggest you book up on arrival. The oriental was the best from what we tried.

The drinks were ok, the bar staff were all very lovely and nothing was too much trouble. They were ready with your next drink right before taking your last sip even making special cocktails for you to try.

The evening entertainment was a bit dull apart from the night the entertainment crew did the talent show. The entertainment crew for us made the holiday. They were all very friendly and even took us to the local club on one of the nights. I did feel sorry for them though as towards the end if our holiday they were unsure of the days they were going to work as it was so quiet on the site and even when they did work from what they said the wages were a pittance.

Out of 10, I'd give this resort a 6. If you're looking for a quiet holiday then this may be for you. Blue bay dorados was quiet and the local area was not very lively either. Would I return....no.

Room Tip: Request a room by the small pool preferably not ground floor as you may be joined by the roaches as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jus_x
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2013

WHEN: Stay was in May 2013.
LENGTH (2 days Saturday & Sunday) Length of stay 2 days.
Room quality: standard with the King bed.
Number of guests: 2 (couple)

I'm a guy, so right off - I'm looking at cost, food, drinks and good rest. BlueBay Resorts was pretty good at meeting my expectations.

On the Practical side:

Cost: Very Good

The cost to quality of this all-inclusive for 2 was very good.

Food:
I was amazed at the food buffet quality and selection. I enjoyed the seafood salad, carved turkey, salads and deserts. For around $400-$500 pesos you can buy a reasonable bottle of red wine to enjoy with your meal.

Definitely, fine for 5-7 day vacation but I can understand how anyone would get tired of any buffet at any resort. Because all you do is eat and lounge...

Drink: ordinary run of the mill all-inclusive. Nothing to write home about but not terrible either. I guess service is hit or miss. If they like you than your good but I did notice a drop in service after our first day. Perhaps, I should have tipped and kept in mind that we all will pick up our game when there is added incentive. I definitely will next time... a few additional pesos or a couple of dollars wont set me back.

Check-out: Just make sure you know what the procedure is> My check out was great and fast ---- even though it was very busy.

Additional Comments: There are staff that are attempting to grab your attention to sell time-shares. I was polite but firm that I was not interested... And thanked the guy.

1 Thank VVillani
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

So I thought I really have to comment on our AMAZING holiday as I found other people’s comments so useful before we went to the Dominican – hope this is also helpful!

So we are a couple aged 23 & 31 and went to Blue Bay Villas from 15th april 2013 to 29th april 2013 for our late honeymoon and I can DEFINITELY recommend this hotel!

Hotel
Yes, the rooms are a little dated but as we all say – you don’t spend much time in them anyway and they are always spotlessly clean. We arrived to a honeymooners banner on our door and we were sent a plate of fruit and bottle of champagne. We also got a letter with an invitation to a VIP party and special meal at the Asian restaurant. It was so thoughtful and the staff were always congratulating us. The staff are all lovely and so friendly and helpful – especially in the restaurant. We met some lovely people.

Staff/Service
The staff honestly couldn’t do enough, they are all really friendly. Some on the reception can sometimes be a bit laidback – and I think some may misread it as rude/indifferent – but they were great – just more laid back than others that’s all. But we really rated the staff in the restaurants . We gave them tips at the end of the holiday – but we certainly didn’t need to do so for the service to be good.

Food and Drinks
We’re not really fussy eaters but the breakfasts weren’t that good. It was just a bit repetitive. However, the food is much better at lunch and dinner. Definitely visit the 3 a la cartes – the Asian was the best!

Honeymooners
Apart from what I mentioned, at the VIP party, we all got champagne unlimited, nibbles and had a fireworks display, a magician and a singer. Then the hotel manageress welcomed us all – the whole experience was so thoughtful and they set up the spa-pool area beautifully.

Excursions
We bought these from Nelson from the beach – him and his colleagues all wear white tops and I believe they are legit – we had no problems at all. We were fortunate enough to go on 5 excursions – all bought from Nelson although at the Plaza you will see a booth called Marysol Tours and I believe they were quite good too. So we visited –

1. 27 waterfalls – amazing excursions – definitely a must but without fail – BRING YOUR OWN WATER SHOES – otherwise you have to use theirs – manky! Also check how many you’ve paid for because we assumed all 27 but we only did 7 which was disappointing. However the guides were great and we loved our time there, what an experience. Also after that we went to the countryside, had a traditional Dominican meal and visited local coffee makers- an old woman in the countryside, few shops etc It was fantastic.

2. Paradise Island – Again a MUST – its exactly what it says it will be – its like a beautiful Paradise, the sand feels amazing and the snorkelling is really good! However, I wouldn’t recommend going as far out as the guides as they don’t really seem to keep an eye on the group as they should’ve. But then again it was my first time snorkelling. If you can, take the travel by catamaran as we went on the speedboat and it was so bumpy and uncomfortable!! After that, we were taken for a traditional meal again and to shops before going home. Amazing.

3. Horse Riding – We went to Rancho Cheyenne – they again were great and we did the mountain day excursions. I haven’t ridden for 10 years but I felt really comfortable on the horses and the guides really looked out for you well. We went through forests and swam in a beautiful river – it was unforgettable – I loved it. Tip: bring a towel for your bums and wear long trousers otherwise you end up sore and your legs rub against the saddle. Also bring water and sun cream – there’s rarely any shade!!

4. Fishing – I had quite bad sea-sickness on this and unfortunately we caught nothing. The crew set up all the rods and we basically had to watch the lines for a morning. We found it a little disappointing but the sights were nice and again the crew were all entertaining and friendly.

5. Zip lining – We went to country world. It was a beautiful set-up – definitely go -we did a 1 ½ horse riding – which I LOVED again!! The horses seems a lot more free spirited than at the first ranch. Then we did the zip lines – 5 very good ones. It was really fun but not as thrilling as you would expect. We then had food again and were taken around this tropical garden which had parrots, snakes, iguanas and more, then every kind of fruit tree you can imagine! It’s so interesting and the parrots are especially beautiful!!

6. We also won tickets to go to the Bravissimo show from the hotel – it was entertaining for sure!! I don’t know that we would’ve paid for them as it was quite short but if you have the money then I would go – it was funny! And the whole set-up of Ocean world is gorgeous. Unfortunately when we went the club was shut – but I imagine it would have been really good if it had as the whole place was very cool.
I would definitely recommend all the excursions – except maybe the fishing if you get sea sick!!

Gifts
DO NOT GO TO THE ORANGE MARKET! We were on our way to the Plaza and a guy with horse and carriage talked us into going to Orange market as they do. Well, it was FAR more expensive and even though we haggled, when we went back to the Plaza we found that we had been completely ripped off. For example, we bought a small bottle of Mama Juana for $1000 pesos – he originally wanted $2500 - and at the Plaza – the same thing was there for $400 – we couldn’t believe it!!!!

Currency
Now we were told by the travel agent to take more pesos – and although everywhere takes them – We would have taken more dollars if we knew. The first price people give you is in dollars and when you say you have pesos they often make the conversion and then round up to the nearest 100 peso which means that really using pesos as a tourist means you lose out. Def take more US$ and also people seemed to prefer tips in US dollars too.

Animation Team
We weren’t overly excited by the shows but you cannot fault the team. They were always so much fun and really friendly!! Volleyball was always great!

To sum up – the hotel is gorgeous, so are the people and definitely go on excursions if you can and meet the Dominican people. We wouldn’t go back – simple because we want to visit other countries, but if we were too, I would absolutely go back here and do what we did. We had the best holiday ever and loved every minute of our time in the Dominican!!

Room Tip: Rooms in block 6 was quite nice, we were in 6209 but request to be on the spa pool side rather than...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Caron F
Cleveland,Oh
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Bay Villas Doradas in March of 2013 and had a great time. The swim up bar was comfortable and the bartenders were great. The restaurants were good and the buffet was enjoyable as well. We especially liked the Chinese Restaurant and ended up going there twice. The only real problem that we had was being bugged by the Timeshare group. They seem relentless until they get you to talk to them. We finally sat with them for a few minutes and then told them that there was no way we were buying into it. They left us alone and almost shunned us after that. Other than that, we had a great time and especially loved walking on the beach. The sand was clean and soft and you can walk for miles towards town without any barriers. I would recommend this resort to others if they are looking for an all Adult resort to relax at.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool and with a balcony or patio area to sit at.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wingman31557
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Blue Bay Villas Doradas, in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic is an astonishing, hotel for relax and enjy the pleasures of life. It gives to guests the quality that one seeks in that type of all inclusive, hoteles.
The staff, mainly the VIP attendant Judite de La Cruz, who with her professionalism and sympathy, made our staying most pleasant.

Thank you and hasta breve.

Jose Dos Santos Circleone