“A great holiday, nice hotel, good value.”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed August 2, 2012

BLUE BAY

We travelled as a party of two couples in our mid/late 40s and arrived home on 27th July 2012.
We had a really great holiday and overall are very satisfied with the value for money offered by this hotel. You can get better if you are prepared to pay more but this hotel really does represent good VFM for an all-inclusive package. We spoke with many who were on their second or third time at Blue bay.

I’m yet to find the perfect hotel but can’t understand people who give Blue Bay really bad reviews.

The hotel was very quiet during the week, not a queue in sight and busier at the weekend with local and USA weekend visitors. Everyone was well behaved.

Good Bits
Firstly, the other people staying at the hotel during our stay were great. Everyone joining in all the fun activities, mostly British but also some really lovely people from Norway, Belgium, Germany, Dom Rep, Canada and USA. We beat them all in the aqua volleyball matches. You know who you are.

No bugs, flies, snakes, creepy-crawlies, spiders, beetles or cock roaches.

Staff – contrary to one report I read we found all the staff to be very attentive and smiley. We were served copious water and drinks with our meals and always served with a smile at the main food hall. Anyone criticising the Blue Bay Staff must have stayed at a different hotel to us. I was always referred to as ‘Sir’ or ‘My Friend’ and the ladies as ‘Madam’ and was told ‘you’re welcome’. Well done Blue Bay staff, our service industry in the UK has a lot to learn from you. Nobody asked for tips and those tips I did give out were gratefully received with thanks. I was not treated differently for tipping.

Animation Team – all brilliant (James Bond, Mayo, George, Yayi, Commando, Teddy Bear, Jamaica etc) and got us involved in fun activities throughout the day. These people are dedicated to their work and I admire them for their enthusiasm and energy – well done and thank you for making our holiday special and memorable.

Food – The main food hall was very good. Plenty of variety with themes running weekly. Breakfast was plentiful with omelettes and eggs made to order and a very big selection of hot and cold items. Something for everyone. You would have to be an extremely fussy eater if you were not happy with what was on offer. The themed Fish, Oriental and Steak Restaurants were available to book at no extra cost. We did not like the fish restaurant, limited selection and what we got was poor. The Oriental was satisfactory, sushi offered on the first visit but not on the second. The Steak Restaurant was the pick of the bunch with plenty to choose from and the meals we had on both visits were fantastic. Wine and other drinks are served at all the food outlets and are unlimited. Just ask if you want a glass for the beer.

Drinks – On the whole these are good. The local Beer ‘Presidente’ is ok and available on draft everywhere. The white wine is drinkable, if a little sweet and the red ok but not to my taste, both were 9%. The spirits are 40% proof and a local brand called ‘Royal’, tending to be a little sweet for our liking. We tried the Whisky and then avoided it. G&T and Cuba Libre tended to be our favourites. Ask for the ‘Brugal’ Rum rather than the local brand, it is normally stocked behind the bar but not in general view. The cocktails were freshly made with large measures and every drink had plenty of ice to help keep you cool. Try the Banana Mama. Drinks were available 24 hrs, but a short walk to the beach bar needed after midnight. There is a special spirit in the Dom Rep known as 151. This is like rocket fuel and is 72% proof. We tried some from the pool bar and it was an interesting experience. Three couples from the Scottish Olympic Drinking Team (I think that’s who they were) were staying at the hotel at the time and their advice was to write your room number on your forehead if you planned a drinking session on the 151 !!!. Oh, by the way, no fresh mint for Mohitos. If this is your tipple take some with you. Drinks around the pool are served in plastic cups. Take your own fancy plastic glasses if you wish, they will gladly fill them for you.

Rooms – They are not brand new but are kept clean and tidy by the maids on a daily basis. We stayed in 3203, just off the pool on the first floor and our friends in 3303 on the second. The Air Con was excellent and adjustable. No problems with noise after around 11:30 pm when the pool bar shut. Water was provided in the fridge and replenished as required. The beds were basic but very comfortable and we all slept well. The TV in the room had a selection of American channels as well as foreign and English speaking channels showing live sports and news; I watched the Grand Prix and the Tour de France from the comfort of my bed. There are higher quality appartments on the site, these being part of the timeshare side of the business. I’m told they are quite lavish but again you need to pay for that privilege. You may get asked if you want to look at the timeshare apartments. We declined and were not pestered. We were more than satisfied with what we were provided with.
The coffee machine in the room was great with plenty of Santo Domingo ground coffee provided. We used milk from the breakfast bar and kept it in our fridge.

Dom Rep electricity is 110v and uses 2 pin USA type plugs and sockets. Your European and UK plugs will not fit. Our travel kettle, GHDs, USB iPOD chargers all worked ok but the mains shaver not.

Pool/Beach Towels – Fresh ones provided in your room and can be changed as many times as you wish. They are coloured blue.

Ocean World – A fantastic day out. Us boys had the day pass at $69 and the girls did the dolphin experience for $109. They were elated with their dolphin experience and well worth the cost. Each pass to Ocean World includes a hot/cold buffet self service lunch which was more than adequate.

Adults Only – not the main reason we booked but it was noticeably quiet and relaxing and I will take this into account when booking my next holiday. We did miss our own kids, and were glad to see them on our return.

Bad Bits

Beach – The location is excellent, right next to the hotel but as soon as you arrive there you are pestered by men selling excursions, clothes, wind chimes etc. Their efforts are commendable but tend to take the gloss of what could have been a few quiet afternoons down on the beach. They will sit on the end of your sun beds and even nudge you or whistle at you if you are napping just to ask if you want to buy anything. We chose to stay by the pool with the entertainment team rather than face a barrage of hard sell. A lovely young couple we met at the hotel were miss-sold a fishing trip by ‘Elvis’ on the beach. It cost them US $130 and a hard lesson learnt. Buy your excursions from your rep or the hotel reception, at least you know where they are if you have reason to complain. As mentioned by others, the water is cloudy, not dirty, but stirred up by the continuous onshore winds, no good for snorkelling. Plenty of beds on the beach and always someone willing to drag one down to you if you need one. The beach is covered by patrolling security guards but only if you keep to the left hand side. Beware walking past the right hand side of the beach perimeter as this is not patrolled. We were warned of this by our rep at the welcome meeting. Some ignored this advice and got into bother.

Pool No.1 and Swim-up Bar – it would benefit from a refurb.

Plaza – this is the nearby shopping centre but not part of the hotel. We were pestered and made to feel uncomfortable as everyone seems to be watching you. There are lots of shops selling lots of tack and hardly anyone shopping there. I can’t see how this place survives as a business.

DR Pesos Vs US Dollars – it seemed very odd that the most common currency on the island was the US Dollar. The entry and exit tax at the airport can ONLY be paid in USD or Euros (10 on the way in and 20 out) and they do not accept DR Pesos or UK Sterling – bonkers. Thankfully my mate had some USD to lend me to pay our inbound tax. You also need to fill in complicated landing and customs cards, not easy after a nine hour flight when all you want is a swim and a beer! Beware, these forms are required on leaving the island too. If I was travelling again I would take two thirds of my money in USD and one third in DR Pesos. The rate for changing Sterling to USD was poor as they first change Sterling to DR Peso, then Peso to USD.

Like others, we heard that Thomas Cook will be pulling out of Puerto Plata later this year. Apparently the investment is moving to the political heart of the country in Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank wyn r
There are newer reviews for BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Reviewed July 30, 2012

let me start off by saying we did have a good time so anyway me and my girlfriend stayed here for two weeks because we stayed in the blue bay Mexico last year so we thought it would be the same or pretty similar but it blue bay villas doradas isnt any where near that standard the staff in Mexico would never let your drinks touch the bottom of the glass but in the Dominican your lucky if you get a drink with your meal and when you eventually order a drink your lucky if you get it within 15mins as they stand their gabbing to each other some waiters are better than others tho don't get me wrong, in the main buffet restaurant it says wait to be seated dont wait as they just look right through you I'd suggest just sit down at an empty table the food wasn't the best it did taste like it was left overs they might serve hash browns but they where always stale never tasted from we just eat omelettes every morning dinner was ok lots to choose from tea could of been abit more of a choice I tried most of itbut my girlfriend is a fussy eater so she stuck with pasta for 2 weeks went to the stake house once absolutely terrible (service was great tho) I ordered a beef fillet I was really looking forward to it, it came and it was the equivalent to British frying steak really crapping fatty meat that was very difficult to cut and really didn't taste good deserts i stayed away from as I seen lots of ants on them and that put me off, rooms where very clean cleaned every day I think the fridge should of been restocked every day without paying, the pool bar is ok your stood waiting for drinks for a whole even if theirs just you at the bar then getting on to the drinks soft drinks like coke and sprite are almost always from the bottle so are mostly flat and the drinks are always in crappy little plastic cups they will fill your own glass up if you can take one, the entertainment was great and the animations team made you laugh all day every day the shows they had on a night always finished about 11 some where better than others so but our issue was after the show their wasn't much to do you could go down to the beach bar but their isn't anything their no music just a bar, with the beach we got told it was private went down their got tortured to do excursions said no but they don't listen you can't get away from them then when you eventually do and get sat down you get some one coming over with a suitcase full of crap trying to sell you it and giving you some sob story like he's got 15 kids and needs to feed them you tell him your not interested he still goes on you get rid of him then some one comes selling hats or bracelets or sun glasses or fruit the sea water isn't clear if you want clear go to the Caribbean side bu that's not the hotels fault, also when we where their we got told not to leave the beach to the right we didn't but a couple did an try got held up and gun point for money they had none so they lost ther wedding rings shame but they did get warned and you've got to remember you are in a third world country, Their is lots of excursions to do and most are reasonably priced we done ocean world royal swim it was fantastic paradise island we loved that too id say don't do the VIP tho as the speed boats are much better and then white water rafter it's something I always wanted to do and I loved it even my girlfriend loved it which is not like her coz she doesn't usually like stuff like that but she really enjoyed it all the guys are great with you really look after you only downside is it takes 2-3 hours to get their if that won't bother you do it I would go back to the Dominican republic but most probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again hope this is helpful

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 30, 2012

stayed in bluebay for 2 weeks from the start of june in a group of 5, having been to the dominican the past 3 years we had an idea of what to expect. check in was quick and we were given a cold drink as we waited, our room was massive plenty of room with 3 of us sharing they even put in an extra bed, the maids kept it spotless and if u tipped a couple dollars left us extra beers.. the beach was nice there was always chairs available not always in the shade and the staff always tried to make sure it was clean, although the vendors could get pretty annoying after a while, never got bothered by the timeshare spoke to 1 we'd met b4 so he knew we were from ireland and wouldnt be intrested. the chinese was the best of the resturants ate in it twice, im a big lover of seafood but didnt find thers good, the beach bar served food also it had great chicken and burgers!! the buffet was ur normal buffet same things most days, my sister her fiance and another friend got sick the 2nd week and still werent right after being home a week, myself and my other friend were fine but we stopped eating in the hotel once they all got sick just incase, instead we went to hemingways in the plaza great food and cocktails. the pools let the hotel down there was tiles missing and they werent very deep also they got really dirty and had a kinda scum floating round it by the afternoon not good. the entertainment staff is what gets people coming back in my opinion ,there great fun always got some kinda game u can take part in or just watch like we did, the shows arent great but keep u entertained after the shows theres nothing till do in the resort, being in our 20's we werent ready for bed that early so took the free bus down to pure niteclub in costa dorada it leaves at 12 and takes u back at 3, some nites some of the staff would go 2, it had a good mixture of music and people def a good night out!! over all its not the best hotel ive stayed in so wouldnt go back, but if uve already booked dont worry ul have a gud time, also for excursions we booked from the people on the beach at least $40 dollars cheaper and they were the same ones the reps sell

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bronagh c
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just arrived back. this was our 3rd visit to don rep, our 1st to this area and hotel. sad to say our last too. no wow factor on arrival. really hate these plastic wrist bands, i call them tags. its a adults only hotel treat us like one. people who choose to come back get different colour ones, how exciting!!. our room;- small and basic, not much room to put things. veiw from the balcony was trees, but could be worse. Buffet resturant, tables not set up properly, may have 1 glass for e.g. cups no spn. cuttlery much the same. waiters would make up from taking items off other tables even when people were sat on them. i often helped myself to water. At breakfast, staff would sneek food then eat it behind the dumbwaiters. food of poor standard. birds would fly in peck the bread, cakes, fruit, chips etc. land on any food containers. take sugar sashets. we watched snack bar chef cook stake then take it into the kitchen for staff to eat not putting this out for paying guests. also the snack bar, every day was cold breaded chicken wings, dried up burgers cold as the grill was off. cold chips, soggy pizza well i think thats what it was. no napkins/ plates some days. i asked for some but never came. to busy talking, or on their phones. when cutlery was dropped on the floor it was put sraight back in the clean containers.
guests were in the pool swim up bar all day fair enough, but not seen going out to use the bathroom !!!!.
We had D. most mornings. not good when there is only one toilet in the room.
Pool toilet, one out of two one never flushed.
Round the pool and going to the resturant or even the beach every day we were hasseled by people wanting us to by shares in the hotel. they can't take no for an answer.
Staff were realy keen to tell you when thier days off were so as not to miss you before you left and to tell you about how may children they had and couldn't buy them food and clothes etc. even asked you for your shoes. How to make you feel guilty on your well earn't holiday.
Entertainment, went once but didn't stay all night what a joke.
In the evening there was no where to sit for a drink, always drinks served out of plastic cups, we took wine glasses out of the resturant at night, not even had clear cocktail plastic ones which would be better.
Beach, as soon as you entered you were constantly harrassed by sellers, tack tack and more tack, sunglasses, shirts, wooden carvings, maracas, drums, stuffed monkeys, wind chimes, fresh coconut/rum, hair brading, pedicure/manicure, massage the list is endless. Then the excusion guys come round. all wish to tell you how poor they are, there familys and no clothes and food. ask you to get them beers etc. more Guilt.
I love to snorkel but the see was too cloudy this made it impossible to see anything.
we also love to walk the bueatiful beaches, this we did every day, early in the morning, well all through the day, but sadly this stopped when on sunday 22nd. My husband retuened from his walk in a state of shock after having a gun pointed to his head demanding dollers, he didn'd have any, the young man pointed to his wedding and onyx ring and demanded them this he did. he then ran to the bushes with them leaving my husband on his knees helpless. he staggared back to the beach to me, the security and police were called. Forms filled in. Thank the Lord i still have a husband and our children have a father.
For the rest of the holiday we watched people walk the same route even jog to the place. no-one had stopped them not even the beach security guys.
A few days later we found out that Thomas Cook have pulled out of the Hotel. Best news ever.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chicken526
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Myself and my wife have been to Dominica on 4 different holidays and have stayed at blue bay once, we have stayed at other hotels within the hotel complex and nothing compares to blue bay so much that we have booked to go again this year, the hotel staff and food and entertainment are second to none if you want to remember a holiday this is a must, this hotel is adult only for all those that don't want kids running around screaming all day long, the staff make you fee
Very special and I would recommend the outback safari and the trip to the ocean park it is a must, looking forward to going back and having a relaxed fun and great holiday

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tornado64
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived back today from this place, and can honestly say that this was the best holiday i have ever been on ! The hotel is only 20 minutes away from the airport so there's no long transfer. On arrival we upgraded to a poolside balcony room, which was well worth the money. We stayed in room 6212 which was just across from the entertainment area - if you'd prefer somewhere a bit quiter ask to have a room closer to the beach. We like to be in the center of things so the room was perfect for us. No problems with the room at all, plenty of storeage space, very clean, fresh towels brought in everyday. Fridge filled up daily with fresh water. Some people have complained about the beds, we found them to be nice and comfy, always had a good nights sleep. The maid came everyday, and the room was always spotless.

Food - I am the worlds fussiest eater and thought I'd struggle this holiday, but I needn't have worried. There really is something for everyone. Breakfast is 7-10ish there's cereals, pastries, fried potatoes, hams, cheeses, tomatoes, bacon,scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, French toast, omelettes, sausages, loads of fruits, and lots of juices. Lunch was 12-30 - 3 and would be rices, chicken, burgers, hotdogs, chips, potatoes, meats, fruitsbetc. Dinner is from 6-10 and would vary, there would be theme nights, such as Mexican, Italian etc. If none of that suited you there's the 3 A'la cartes as well. We only went to the oriental one and found the food there to be really good. Was nice to have change from the buffet. If you still can't find anything you like there's the 24 hour beach bar where u can get burgers, chips etc

Hotel staff - they really made the holiday for us, they are on the go 24-7. No matter what time of day it is,they will always have a smile on there face. We'd only been there 3 days and they all knew our names :) The service from the bar and restaurant staff was second to none. They work so hard to make the holiday enjoyable for you. Our drinks were always topped up, and in the Evenings, we didn't even have to go to the bar to get our drinks as they were always brought over to us. The hotel grounds are so well kept, and you will always see staff working on the gardens, cleaning Etc

Animation team - The best bunch of people ever ! Mayo, James Bond, Teddy, Commander, Coca Cola, Aris, George This bunch are always on the go ! Everything from crazy games, volleyball, water aerobics, sushi lessons ! They make it so much fun, and really get you involved in things. We did think that this being an adults only resort, the entertainment might be a bit 'stuffy' but every night it was brilliant. We had Taino dancing shows, fire breathing, water ballet, Mr and Mrs Bluebay, lovers night, Latin shows.Entertainment ends around 11 of an Evening, but you do then have an option of going to pure the night club, and the casino - we went and had a fab time, free taxi there and back, and a few of the staff members go with you, to make sure you're all ok. If you're not interested in the club and casino you can always head down to the beach bar. Would like to say a massive thank you to the above people for making the holiday so brilliant. It wouldn't have been the same without them

Pools - you have 3 to choose from' we never used the relaxation pool as it was a bit too quite for our liking, but,if you like peace and quiet that's the place to be. Some people have said about the pool bar being dirty, you do sometimes get a few straws and the odd cup in there at the end of the day, but again that's people not tidying up after themselves. Every morning we saw the pools being cleaned, and there was generally someone going around cleaning them thougout the day. The second pool next to the pool bar is generally much quieter and it's a little deeper for swimming.

Whilst there we had a massage at the spa which was so nice and relaxing and well worth the money. I've seen some people saying that some of the staff were rude, which was not the case with us. They couldn't have been more polite or helpful.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday, we could have payed double what we did and would still be extremely happy with what we got for the price. The hotel is beautifully kept, the food is brilliant, the staff are polite and friendly, the weather was hot and sunny, the animation team are some of the best people you will meet, we made some brilliant friends and are already looking to book for next year. :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
11  Thank Abi2011
Reviewed July 26, 2012

arrival : after a long 9 hour flight from uk to Dominican we wear welcomed at blue bay with a lovely refreshing cocktail and cold flannels and asked to take a seat before a quick check in and bell boy took our bags to our room .

room : we had payed for a room upgrade and a 1st floor room . on arrival i was happy that my requested had been met and my room ( 5208) was very spacious and clean . 4 cupboards plenty of hanging space and shelf's. 2 bed side tables , our bed wasn't the best but no bed is as good as your own but it wasn't uncomfortable. pillows did the job and i cant complain about the maid, she was amazing come to our room at least twice a day and sometimes a 3rd in the evening around 730 , the room was always spotless and clean towels made in to different shapes /animals.

food: after two weeks breakfast got a little repetitive but there was plenty to choose from , toast cereal, fruit ,cakes, fried breakfast , ham ,hash browns . there something for everyone .
lunch : i a fussy eatter and cant eat to much wheat and i found something to eat nearly every lunch time . rice with fried chicken . chips and pork , pasta and roasted veg , there is a is always a healthy corner for fitness freaks and vegetarians.
tea/dinner . the main dinner was different every day in the first 10 days ranging from cold meats to roast veg , pig roast , turkey , pasta ,and some local dishes . the diner waiting staff are always more than willing and keen to get you your drinks and and help needed .
and if thats not enough there's 3 beautiful alercart hall , stake ,fish and chinese , a beach bar that does snacks a drinks 24/7 .

pools: yeah i agree the some people the swim up pool isnt the cleanest of the pools but what do u expected when you in water drinking , you will find cups and straws around the swim up bar the pool will only stay as clean as you keep it . all 3 pools wear cleaned every morning as im a early bird i often sat down before breakfast and watched the staff :)
pool 2 the volly ball pool. a full fun easy going pool to sit around . a small group of us took over that pool most evenings with our beach ball rubber rings and ball games very fun ,clean and friendly .
pool 3 the quiet pool. i didnt vist this pool on my stay as im not a quiet person but my room was very near by an always looked clean and tidy . only thing is that pool only does soft drinks .

the crew !!! well were do i start ..... mayo , George , james bond , commando ,teddy a grate team , very hard working and will always have a smile on there faces no matter what time of the day there around bright and early and around till late at night working hard day games and evening entertainment , i couldnt rate these staff any more there a brilliant team and we made some good friends this holiday with the staff .
the crew attened the pure night club most evenings and will invite you along with them a kevin in the free taxi there and back and will stay with you to make sure your safe and you enjoy your time. i have to say a massive thank you to the crew for making our holiday .

over all me n my partner rate this holiday and hotel a 4 * witch it is . all i can say is don't come to this hotel if your boring and have no personality . this is not for you !!!!

i had a really enjoyable 2 weeks and are planning to return in the near future .
please ignore all the stuck up moaning people on this page as its not a bad hotel and all the staff work hard .

Room Tip: 5028 was a lovley room located at the front right had side of the entrant and very near the quiet ar...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple