“bluebay villas”

wirral,england
“bluebay villas”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Hi all,
just back from bb villa hotel, had a blast, this is a big enough hotel to keep to yourself or mix with other guests around the pools or beach as you feel fit, it is a really well laid out place, and the staff are amazing, if not a little mental !!! LOL :-) the entertainment is mostly by the hotel staff with the odd outside act thrown in, But either way it is good fun and entertaining without being intrusive.
There could be a few changes to the entertainment area, like more tables and chairs as it does fill up very quickly !! If the stage was brought forward and the tables arranged around the pool edge things would be better and less cramped, ( this was proven when 1 night this was done for the band act that visited the hotel !! ) the food is very good and varied, like many other previous reviews
i agree that the buffet restaurant provides just as good if not better food than the al a cartes !! we found the chinese to be the best al a carte , But each to their own !! We had a room right next to pool so as other people have commented these can be very noisy if you like an afternoon siesta or early morning lie in,but otherwise they are ok ( 12pm bar shuts by pool so goes quiet after this )
beach bar is the 24hr one so noise is not near rooms !! Beach is nice apart from constant hassle off beach sellers but if you say no the go away but it does become a bit repetative, Same goes for the guys in yellow t-shirts and blue caps that sell the vacation club( timeshare ) but again if you just say no and avoid them they aint too much of a hassle !! I do agree with others that it should not be allowed in the hotel grounds.
pillows in bedrooms are absolutely useless like sleeping on rocks !!! airconditioning and ceiling fans are a godsend and appreciated as is fridge in room !! towels changed daily as are the beach towels, Plenty of sunbeds around pools and beach if you cant find one just ask and the staff will bring them for you
shopping centre is a 5 min walk from hotel and has good range of shops and a few pubs and restaurants for you to visit also James tours at rear of complex which we highly recommend !!
good value and extremely friendly and helpful and fair
all in all good hotel,food,beach,staff and friendly atmosphere, GO Enjoy !!!!!!!!

Any questions answered if you contact me .......Good holidays...ROBBIE......

Room Tip: lively - by pool quiet- by spa pool
8 Thank morebeer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We choose this resort based on Tripadvisor reviews. I joint with everyone who likes this place.

Room Tip: Not close to entertainment center: after 9:30 p.m. the music is very loud
Keswick
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed at Blue Bay First week of Nov 2011 and had an amazing time! Was my first trip to the dominican and would 100% recommend this resort!!
The service there was top notch never had to wait for anything! Animation crew was amazing always keeping us entertained! Especially during the water aerobics, even if you dont participate its something fun to watch;) Dont miss the beach party was one of the best nights on the resort! Now there isnt a disco on site but there is a plaza a 2min walk from resort with a small Coco Bongos and the resort also arranges a shuttle to another club called pure 5min car ride to and from! I went to both of them had a blast and was safe! If your going to the resort give Dj aris, commando and the boys a big hug from Elisha!! There were all great!!
The buffet was also great never went hungry and tonnes to choose from! We made it to 2 of the specialty restaurants, the asian themed one was great and my mom was orgasmic over the lobster at the seafood one, worth the extra charge!
The beach was nice, there are vendors selling stuff but if not interested all you have to do is say a polite "no thank you" and they will leave you alone. We did three excursions, the royal dolphin swim at Ocean World was a once in a lifetime experience and the fiest 151 tour was sooo much fun! Gives you a chance to see around puerto plata! We also went on a catamaran my only tip...DONT DRINK 151 NIGHT BEFORE!! lol !!
All in all will be returning to Blue Bay for our official annual girls trip next year!! See ya then Blue Bay Xoxoxoxoxoxox

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elisha B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at the Bluebay Villas for 4 days, Sept.18th thru 22nd, 2010. We enjoyed a very relaxing vacation. For the cost of the vacation (around $1200 incl. airfare & hotel) it was definitely worth the money. Pretty much 90% of the reviews for this hotel is right on. I will try to break it down:
Rooms :- our room was quite spacious. My husband lived out of his suitcase and I used the closet. The maid service however was quite sketchy. There didn't seem to be a set time for cleaning; one night she came to switch our towels at 11pm! And we always had to ask for small wash cloths.
Guests:- Majority were older and European; we might have been the only Americans there.
The food:- the food was so-so, because I'm Jamaican by birth I guess I expected more. I did enjoy the breakfast smoothies; those were delish! Local dishes were served mostly during lunch which I believe is their biggest meal. Dinner was ok, pasta night, burger night, taco night and so on. Not so impressive. We did have dinner at Jade restuarant that too was just ok. Desserts at the buffet were good and you wont go hungry. The snack bar at the beach was probably the best deal going.
The Beach: I'm not sure if it was the time of the year but the ocean was a little rough. I was not able to just sit in the water and float as I could in Jamaica; I was constantly fighting waves. A boogie board would've been great..lol. The vendors were truly annoying but eventually they do get the message. We bought from the famous "Cheapy Willie", a funny character. If you go to the beach around 11am a waiter will come out every 10 min. or so and take your order and bring you whatever drink you want. We lounged on the beach from 10am to 3pm one day; it was quite relaxing.
Entertainment: Very friendly entertainment staff. Hint to have fun, if the audience does not participate it's a wrap. One night I was the only guest to volunteer and the show was cancelled as a result. The other nights the etertainment was fine, there was a local band and a dance review on another night. We enjoyed both.
Timeshare: This had to be the most annoying aspect of this hotel. They were super annoying and you literally had to be rude to some. good thing we read the reviews before hand otherwise we wouldve been stuck at a presentation.

Overall we enjoyed our stay as we were only looking to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life back in Pittsburgh. For what we paid, I would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neekah1
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We just got back Nov 12 from a one week stay and it was excellent. Impeccable service excellence from Yanely (quiet pool bar - she is awesome), Aracelis for our supper on the beach (fabulous service and warm personality) and Beach bar guy Pablo (Cheers!). Our room was cleaned by an excellent evening maid Benita who really went the extra mile to ensure excellent service. Spanish lessons were superb with Mayo and I miss the spanish lessons already! He was very knowledgeable and a very good teacher. Sunquest Guide Helen is fabulous and most recommended as she is professional, prompt, efficient and very knowledgeable - she made all of the difference in our stay and resolved our issues promptly. Hint: Go to the guide first because my only problem at all with the hotel was the service at the front desk. Helen ensures full satisfaction and swiftly handles any issues as they arise. We will definitely book a sunquest trip again.

Room Tip: If you like quiet book near the quiet pool that is non-smoking. Rooms are basic but very clean and g...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lori-AnnS
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Having worked in the travel industry and well educated in "value for your money" I have to give BlueVillas Dorado two thumbs up! When we first arrived we were disappointed with the rooms, really just a matter of upgrading the tired bedding, furniture and fixtures. By the next day we settled into the whole experience and the rooms seemed less significant. The grounds are well maintained and the best part of the stay was hands-down the amazing staff!

The food at the buffet was good, not great, but then again I've never had a great buffet. There are three ala carte restaurants, the Asian is so-so but the seafood and grill restaurants were very good. Great presentation and again, service is impeccable.

Read about the vendors on the beach, you will find them anywhere you travel. The resort only allowed certain people to sell on their beach, indicated by their numbered shirts. We had a ball with many of them! Just get to know them and you'll come home with some funny stories!

We heard from our shuttle driver that the resort was in the process of redecorating the rooms so hopefully when we return our only complaint will no longer be an issue.

Thank you all at Blue Bay for making this a very enjoyable and memorable trip!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank shebuilds
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed in this hotel the second week of November and would not go back.  My personal experience was not great but it is not to say the hotel does not have it's virtues.

PROS: the hotel grounds are beautiful, they are regularly working on the landscaping and it always looks clean and neat.  The majority of the staff is very friendly, always a hello when you walk by.  The food in the buffet is pretty good, the asian restaurant was specially good.  The fried ice cream was amazing, for a minute I thought I was in a restaurant in ny :). They have a 24hr restaurant which was empty and had few choices, but it's good to have if you had a sleepless night.  The manager Ines was very helpful and professional, she helped me with a rental car issue.   The shows are hit or miss.  The beach party was nice and the games the entertainment crew did were funny.  The Dominican show and the fire show were great.  The michael Jackson pre show was funny. They also had a female vocalist who was very good as well.

CONS:  Theres some sort of code system with the bracelets.  apparently if you book online you get a red bracelet and if you book directly with the hotel (and pay more obviously) you get a clear bracelet.  I booked through expedia, so it felt like we were being snubbed.  when we arrivved the person at the front desk, Manolo was not the most polite.  We had an issue because I inadvertently booked the room for 1 person not for 2 which was my fault.  But when I told him to give me a price so i can pay the difference, it was double what I paid for in person.   When I said I can book right now on my phone and it would be less than what you're charging, please give me a fair price because it made no sense, he was not very happy.  He even rolled his eyes when i asked him to speak to his manager about the price and did not do it in front of me.  He went to speak  someone and came back with a lower price.  After that he kept treating us like second class citizens.  On a different date I asked him if he could coordinate an airport transfer for the day we were leaving and his response was "just come to the front desk and we'll call a cab".  He said that they did not schedule transfers to the airports.  We later found out that a transfer could be scheduled he just did not want to bother.  Again, sans Manolo the staff was very friendly and helpful.  The guys with the yellow shirts by the pool selling time shares are horrible. It just gets annoying because you are on vacation and don't want to be harassed which is what they do.   The pools are small and clean but a little shallow so we preferred the beach.  The room that we stayed in was dated but clean.   A big one for me was that they did not provide you with a safety box.  It is an extra $3 per day which I think is ridiculous.  I've stayed in various resorts in Mexico, Aruba, jamaica and it is always included.  Also the mini bar is stocked and free but only once, so if you drink the first beer, soda or water in the fridge when you arrive, you are charged thereafter.  It just felt like a lot of nickel and dime-ing which for an ALL inclusive should not be the case.  Finally the song that the crew sings every night before the show 'nadie como tu' was lame and got right down annoying after the second day.  The other one 'chocolate' wasn't much better either.

All in all, as always and with all my vacations, I get that there will be pros and cons and it depends what you make of your vacation.  This hotel is by no means horrible and I wouldn't say 'stay away' but my experience was not a great one where I could run home and book my next trip.  But I wouldn't recommend someone cancel reservations or feel that their trip will be ruined either.  I had a great time and had good memories but I would not return there and would go to a different hotel.

2 Thank Lamururira