We Visited Bluebay Villas on the 9th March 2011, the hotel is only a twenty minute drive from the airport so after a quick transfer we arrived at the hotel lobby.
Immediately we were offered a drink and some refreshing face cloths and were explained where things are in the hotel and what to do for food etc.
We were then taken to our room, the rooms are standard- with a comfy large bed, ours only had a shower as we had paid less for this, the rooms all have an electronic safe in the cupboards (that you choose your code for) and a TV, fridge and coffee maker. There is also a hair-dryer in the bathroom.
The hotel surroundings are beautiful and so well decorated, with candles being lit at night time to guide your way through the hotel.
The walk to the sea is over a bridge and a murky lake, that yes- when it gets very hot it can let off a stench- but you're only walking past it for a few seconds! The beach is cleaned every morning, and we had no problems getting a sunbed, and occasionally the lovely beach beds! On the beach we took use of the free water sports- such as kayaking and snorkelling.
There are three pools in the resort, one for non smoking quiet relaxation, second for volleyball at midday then after it remains as a second quiet pool, then there is the main pool with the bar (if you don't want to be involved with the activities then I suggest you avoid this pool!). All of the pools aren't very deep so be careful when swimming to not grate your knees along the floor! The pools are all very clean, and yet again, we had no problems finding a sunbed.
Within the hotel, you get the chance to eat in each of the a la carte restaurants (fish, meat and asian) these were lovely and created a perfect end to our day. Be warned that you must book in advance and you have to pay extra for specific food such as lobster. The main buffet restaurant always provided delicious varied food, that with so much choice it was hard not to find something you'll love. Breakfast consisted of cooked breakfast or fruit, cold meats, toast/bread, yoghurts etc. Lunch consisted of salads, sanwhcies and hot meals such as grills or the pasta station. Dinner was always based on a theme such as tex-mex/seafood but aspects like the pasta station always remained incase you didn't like food from the theme. Lastly there was the 24hour snacks and bar on the seafront, we ate lunch here twice and the food is burgers, southern fried chicken, chips etc. However, by a about 6 most of the snacks have run out, or they are setting up for the evenings a la carte restaurants and so do not cook anything.
We watched two shows at the hotel both involving dancing from a group of dancers on lovers nights and latin night, but the entertainment was loud and intrusive. The main guy who led the shows had an irritating loud voice that when you try to get to sleep early is the only thing you can hear. Some groups/couples got very involved with the tacky entertainment- yet I felt it cheapening of the hotel and 'butlins like'. Not that impressed, however we decided to do our own thing when the shows were on, such as drinks on the beach or drinks in our room.
We went on three amazing trips on our holiday, all booked with Julio (Santa) on the seafront, he will immediately make himself known to you when you arrive! We visited Paradise island, city tour and the waterfalls. All amazing experiences- but be warned if you are fussy with food then you may want to sneak a sandwich out of the hotel for lunch.Buying trips on the beach is cheaper than with your rep, and also means you go in groups of about 10, rather than a coach load.
Overall, we had an amazing week in the Dominican, with great food, sea, sand and poolside fun. Bluebay Villas is an excellent place for couples, or small groups for a week or two of pure indulgence and relaxation (maybe even treat yourselves to an expensive massage at the spa to relax a little bit more?!) and we would definitely visit again and have already recommended to friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic