We travelled with Thomson to the Dominican republic,had a great flight over.Cabin crew where great as was the flight. We got of the plane in Puerto Plata and the heat just hit us 31 degrees.what a start to our week long holiday.
After a coach ride of about 40 mins we arrived at the Riu mambo,to be greeted with a refreshing non alcoholic drink and a welcome chat with the head of reception and the general manager.here we were given our room keys and sent on our merry way....
The room we were allocated was 2017 and it was on the 1st floor of our block,first impressions were good,the room was a little musty at first,but once we had opened the patio doors for a while it cleared. I must admit this is the first hotel that i have ever stayed in that has had full bottles of drink on optics as well as a stocked fridge.
The only down side to the rooms is that there are no Tea/coffee making facilities,we did take our travel kettle,but the current is so different over there that it takes a month of Sundays to boil the water.
The pool and its surroundings are lovely and there is a bar and restaurant close by,here you can get a cuppa if you want one or enjoy one of the many cocktails they whip up.We did take thermal beakers with us this year,as they will only give out small plastic cups to drink from during the day,it also cuts down on the time you send walking back to the bar for a refill and it keeps it clod for longer too!
The beach was good, Clean and with plenty of bed chairs to go around. The sea was not as i had expected (crystal clear and full of fish) but slightly cloudy and a bit stoney under foot. This did not spoil my holiday though.
The restaurants were clean and clutter free and the food was well prepared and fresh.The service was great and the staff are lovely,nothing is to much of a problem for them(and despite what others might say this is not because they are after a tip) Although you will find that they will look after you better if you learn just a few basic words in Spanish.(it makes them laugh when you make a mistake!)
You can use the facilities of all three hotels any time during the day,but their restaurants cannot be used for evening meals.
We decided to do the catamaran trip on the Sat it cost about £65 each,but was well worth the pennies.you take a bus ride twenty mins down the road and jump on the boat at another hotel,then you sail of to sosua to go snorkeling in crystal clear waters you then have lunch on board before sailing into deeper waters for another swim.A gentle sail back with some great entertainment from the crew on the way back.
What i will advise though is to take American Dollars not Dominican pesos as we did,everything is priced in dollars,even the trips through the agents.this is really frustrating as you have to keep asking for it to be converted for you and you never know whether your being diddled or not!!
All in all we had a great week,with the best weather they have had since Christmas( it didn't go below 78 degrees during the day).wish we could of stayed another week.
Bravo to all the staff for making our stay so good,and to Belky our chambermaid for a lovely clean and fresh room everyday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue