First read the other reviews posted on this site and you will pretty much get the idea for what to expect. Here are some additional things I learned.
The bedrooms only contain the 2 prong outlet and it is not flush with the wall. If you bring a hair dryer you will need an additional adapter to plug it in. However; I just let my hair dry on its own and that was fine and then used my hair straightener and it worked just fine.
Everyone's worked fine by what we heard...Ours didn't and we had someone come out a few times and then we finally gave up. No biggie, just sleep without the covers.
Defiantly watered down, 100% sure. I would drink 4 "banana mama" fruity slushy drinks with shots of rum added to them and never feel a thing. My boyfriend chugged 6 beers during a beer drinking contest at the Bachata and felt nothing as well.
Gift Shop Shantys:
Start at the back of the row of shops...they get less business and will settle for less. Typical bartering...
Buffet was good. On Thursday they had mussels and shrimp, which was my favorite of them all. Random dogs roam the buffet area at night...very weird.
This was the most "international" resort that I've been to. Lots of Germans, English, French, Irish, Scottish, Canadians, Australians etc etc.... Everytime the entertainment team would make an announcement they had to make the same announcement in 4 other languages.
We went in the rainy season apparently and it was fine, it just rained during the night a few days.
They have a room with desktops and you can pay for certain amounts of time. They also have wireless internet...for $15 for 24/hours. It's only assessable near the stage area seating, reception and pool area.
Everything else you read about the resort is pretty spot on. Go for it! Let me know if you have any questions! Overall you get a great bang for your buck here!
Wear a white bikini with pink sequence and the fish will swarm around you...lol
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue