If you like a good family holiday with friendly people and lots of good food included then this is for you.
You get all the food and drink you want in a hotel that is constantly cleaned. The staff pride themselves on their friendliness and cleanliness. They are polite, friendly, family orientated and courteous. If only English people were as nice and happy.
The downside is when the local people come in. They are loud, boisterous and brash which changes the atmosphere. They also get drunk and cause problems. Thankfully they're gone after a couple of days. This did not interfere with us as we stayed away but for some it was a problem if you were staying in a room near them.
As others have mentioned, a couple of the waiters are very flirtatious and I was approached twice when my husband was only a few feet away but it was harmless and I wasn't bothered too much. They are young males after all but I'm no catch or spring chicken!
The only other thing I would change is to have a kettle with tea and coffee in the room but I am English after all!
It's beautiful in DR but remember it is a third world country. Enjoy it for what it is and just be aware like anywhere else you'd go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue