“Beautiful place, beautiful hotel!”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Went here from Sept 16-31 2013 for my first holiday with my boyfriend and loved every minute of it!

Rooms- very clean and spacious! Stong air con which is lovely after being in the sun all day! Bit dated but that wasn't a bother for us, lovely balcony space too!

Food- something for everybody with the food! Became a bit repetitive but we were not bothered! Mexican night on a Saturday was the best!

Pool- we spent all of our time up the old Mambo pool which was very quiet and beautiful! No need to get up early for sun beds as there are plenty of them all day everyday! The merengue pool is more of a louder family pool.

Staff- staff were the nicest people you will ever meet! Always make sure that you are happy and satisfied with your visit.

Entertainment- was rather dated but the shows such as the Africa show and Grease were really good!

Locals- Locals came on the weekends, not many of them either! Did not have any problems with them at all, probs because they stay down the Merengue pool!

Excursions- we went to Ocean World and swam with the dolphins and sharks which was amazing! The food here was also included in the trip and is like a buffet! We went to Paradise Island and snorkelled around the island which was lovely, the speed boat on the way there was the best part! Food was also included here and is like a buffet! And we also went on the Outback Safari which was my absolute favourite! You visit a school and meet the children of the village, you go for food (buffet) and they take you to a beautiful beach where you stay for an hour!

Absolutely amazing holiday! Loved Dominican Republic and this hotel! X

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chlojones
Write a ReviewReviews (5,450)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were there from Nov 05 to12 and it's a very nice resort with beautiful grounds. The staff was excellent, the animation was very very good. The night shows were marvelous. The food was excellent for us no complains, our room was clean everyday and fridge was restock every other day. People who complains should book for 6 or higher star!!!! I will definitively go back.

Room Tip: Any room is all close to the action.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Donald B
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here from 30 Oct til 10 Nov. I feel so sorry for the staff there. They work so hard, but reception need a lesson in customer service. We had a problem with our room key, the lock needed to be changed as when you put the key in it didn't turn I reported this to them several times they just kept spraying WD40. It finally got sorted after I was forced to make a complaint to my tour rep. Then the locals come in all 700 of them and it was their public holiday so they stayed til Monday. They had only been in the hotel for 1 hour before we was told to get out of the pool as someone had had a poo in it. They weekends are horrendous, one couple had to be removed out of the pool as they got a little too friendly. The life saver inflatable rings they just helped themselves to and used to float on and play with.They ate everything in the snack bar as they ran out of pizzas I saw one older child load his plate up with two full size pizzas. I have a 4 yr old son who they constantly walked into and pushed out of the food queue. I caught a local grown woman going through my beach bag. The staff can see what's happening and they are so apologetic, they couldn't be better, just a shame the management are letting them down. We was forced to spend time at the merengue village pool as the locals not allowed in that pool but as the hotel was closed you still had to go back for meals. This is just my experience in resort. When the locals have gone it's back to a nice relaxing quiet holiday, but then in come in the market sellers for you to be harassed they are in your face and it goes on until you finally reach the dinning room. Would I go again NO! My son told me he felt scared and kept asking to go home.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kelly N
Reviewed November 13, 2013

You have 3 Riu's at this location , The Merengue is where my niece (12) and I stayed...Oct 30-6 Nov.Mind you the place is lovely , The food is good , The pool is so-so, go to the Bachata side they have the swim up bar, I had asked for a room that was centered and I got that 1032, so was very pleased. The beach is very well shaded, lots of trees to hide from the hot sun. But the beach to go swimming in...bring water proof sandals, there are way to many weeds& pebbles the water is not that clear either... The staff are very , very nice !! Beware if going on or near Nov. 3rd , It's their national holiday and the place was jam-packed with republicans , very loud and over bearing, but over all had a very nice time....glad I got this trip at a last minute deal..would of been disappointed if I had paid the full price for going there...My niece got an ear infection, The pool was shut down every other day , either from someone pooping in it or vomit if I would go back there....no.. not to this Riu, but another one

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brenda S
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Only booked this holiday four days before flying out which meant we got it for a very good price .Did not know what to expect but the place is lovely , friendly , clean and very welcoming .Check in was very quick and there was loads of staff on hand to help . Our room was 1105 a building in the first strip by the beach ( so we did have a partial sea view ) . we were near to everything which was great. Food was very good , themed nights tuesday , thursday and friday . Hot food was hot and cold food was cold as it should be . A lady stood at the entrance to the dining room at all times with hand gel , we thought this was wonderful ( unlike somebody else who commented ). I personally suffer badly from hotel catering but on this holiday had no medical issues caused by food unlike most european hotels we have stayed in.
Due to medical issues I was unable to use the swimming pools ( re chemicals ) so we stayed on the beach most of the time . The beach is very natural with lots of trees giving shade , it is a public beach but the hotel gardeners keep it clean daily .
The weekend does get busy because Dominican people book in but it is only a problem if you let it be !!
We did go on two trips which yes were expensive but very good . The tour and cable car and the dolphin encounter .
Overall this was a very good holiday having never been to the Dominican before we did not know what to expect . I have read on T/A that people say the Merengue does not represent what you would normally expect here in the Dominican well we had no complaints only praise .

5  Thank loveholidaysido063
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Well after reading the reviews for Riu Merengue i was a little nervous but when we arrived all my fears were lifted. The hotel staff were hard working and friendly from the cleaners (leave a tip every few days and you will have a towel animal every day) the gardners that will get you a coconut if you wish, till the amazing bar staff and funny animation crew. The hotel was very clean and the food was very good but got a little samey near the end but what do you expect from all inclusive.

We done 5 excursions through Thomson which was a little pricey but were all amazing experiences and would recommend them 100% we will be back again.

5  Thank damien s
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks at the end of October. First impressions are good. We had room 1108 which was an upstairs one as requested with a partial sea view. Maid kept this spotless and left towel art everyday. She even trimmed our room up with balloons on my wife's birthday. The sea was nice and warm but the beach is one of the worst we have been on in the carribean. Plenty of shade is available but there are a lot of pebbles when you go in the sea. We found the best place was up near the Merengue Village. A good thing is that there are 3 hotels all in a line and you can use the facilties at each all day, The only exclusion being you must have your evening meal at your own hotel. Food and drinks were all ok. The hotel does get full of locals at the weekends but never caused us a problem. We went on a couple of excursions and really enjoyed them although a little expensive with Thomson. These were the Outback Safari and Puerta Plata city tour with cable car. Met some nice people and made good friends.
Now the not so good.
Every time you enter the restaurant at the Merengue you are given antibacterial hand cleaner. This didn't happen at the Bachata hotel. This makes you think they have a problem there.
On our second day I went for a swim in the Merengue Village pool. Two days later a trip to the pharmacy with a severe ear infection. Still got problems now back home. On the second week we were sat at the outdoor bar of the Bachata around 5.30pm and felt a little itch on my foot. Went back to the room at 6pm and discovered I had been bitten. Next morning I had 18 bites on one foot and 10 on the other which had come up like blood blisters. In my 15 years of going to the Carribean I have never had bites like this and spent the next 4 days unable to sleep due to itching. I had numerous creams and ointments but none worked and I still have no idea what had bitten me.
Despite all this we had an enjoyable holiday but would not return to this hotel.

2  Thank NottinghamDodger