ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in late 2011.

The hotel accommodation itself is more akin to a 3+ star accommodation in the UK but the facilities are very good and the grounds are very scenic.

The entertainment team are extremely good and professional and worth watching every day and they really do keep you entertained.

The food is good and they do actually have some branded drinks in the all inclusive. I tried my first Martini at this place.

The pool is good and the beach is very nice, if you keep walking along the beach you come to a hidden cove beach area which resembles something out of a Hollywood movie, it really is that beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RedGlobeTrotter
Write a ReviewReviews (5,446)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

myself and my partner stayed at Riu Merengue in July 2013 We have been to the DR 3 times but never stayed here before and I must say it was the best place so far, it was amazing was impressed at how clean every were was, our room was cleaned every day, and clean bed lining etc. The complex was so big with plenty to do and different areas to relax. A little disappointed regards beach been on better. Good variety of food always plenty to choose from. We had no complaints at all Thomson's reps very helpful. We arranged to see a wedding planner whilst we were there and shown a private beach which was beautiful, we have now booked our wedding for Sept 2014 but in order to marry on the private beach we have to stay at its sister hotel BATCHTA. Fab time very relaxing and would recommend this complex. We also have 20 plus guests to the wedding I just hope they enjoy their stay as much as we did.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank julie b
Reviewed October 24, 2013

MY partner and I went to Riu Merengue for 3weeks in September 2013. Dominican Republic is a place where dreams are made and the Merengue is situated in such a beautiful setting. The complex itself needs a little updating but we had no complaints after all we were in the Caribbean and so 4*-5* is going to be different from in the UK. If you keep that in mind the place is ok really and is spotlessly clean. Hats off to the workers in the place as they work tirelessly and do a fantastic job. We found everyone so friendly.
I don't really know what to write for this review and so I will try and explain our experience.....
If we had of came home after the first two weeks at the Merengue I would have gave rip roaring reviews about the place because we had no problems at all, except the place being a bit dated. The food at the Merengue is pretty bland and we found the Bachata much better and so ate there most days, exception to our evening meal that you have to stay in the Merengue for. Weekends need to be timed correctly to miss the busy times with the locals being there but we had no problems at all. We could not understand all the bad publicity because although the food was bland and lacking in choice, there was plenty of it and we could get a seat, infact our waiter was straight at us and took us to a table with drinks at the ready.... Nice touch
The food at the Bachata was wonderful and a lovely setting with an open balcony to eat your food looking out to sea. We were enjoying ourselves so much and settled straight into the relaxed atmosphere. We kept away from the pool area as it was too noisy for us, not our cup of tea so we found a lovely quiet spot on the beach to spend our days.
Now here is the bad point....
We still don't know what happened but heading into our third week our holiday nose dived and turned into holiday from hell!!! .....
The food at the Bachata went right down the pan, horrible and the food at the Merengue was even worse. My partner got a stomach bug which he had to get an anti-biotic for. A lot of people were becoming ill and a lot of people were getting nasty ear infections from the pool, which was then shut down for two days, As we never used the pool this did not effect us but some of the people we met ended up having to spend quite bit of money at the doctors for different infections. So maybe take some sickness pills as well as ear drops would be advisable. We met some lovely ladies who had been going to the same complex for 5yr and even they were dismayed at how much it had went down hill. They said it was the worst they had knowing for the food quality. I just cannot understand it because the first two weeks it was wonderful but the third it was a complete turn around. ??
It was in the third week that we were infested with cockroaches in our room. I went to the desk to complain and I will give the desk Clark her due's she was straight onto the exterminators to get our room sprayed. But two nights later they were back. At this point I just wanted the week to end so we could go home. I had to live off pitza for a whole week because that was about the only thing appetising :-( my partner had been told of the doc he couldn't eat anything diary and he lived off rice! Terrible.
Two nights a week the locals are allowed in at night to sell and honestly it is like an SAS mission to get to the dinning area without getting completely bombarded from them. We walked right round the outside along the beach and came up a side alley to avoid them because it is not enjoyable AT ALL. They don't one after another you get hounded to buy stuff and it is all the same tat that they sell.
Would I go back to the Dominican Republic???........ YES, most definitely, it is such a lovely place and the weather was fantastic everyday. We would never go back to the Merengue though and it is such a shame because there was nothing wrong with the place itself, it was the food that let it down. There is obviously something not working right when a lot of people are suffering tummy bugs and one of the locals told us to stay clear of the fish.
The fact that the place was dated did not bother us, nor did the locals on a weekend, it was all down to the food.
The locals that went were pretty rude, picking food up with their hands and I even saw one put the food back on the plate with their hands after changing their mind about wanting it. They just walk infront of you when your trying to get drink our food, pretty ignorant really.
It such a shame giving a bad review when we had such a lovely time at the beginning. But it is a real review of our experience.
I will return to the Dominican one day but not the Riu complex.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Karen C
Reviewed October 16, 2013

just back and had the best time ever. the aniamation team were great even though we said no to joining in the games most of the time but they just ket on smiling and entertaining . the rooms were lovely and clean plenty of storage and shower was very powerful and always lots of hot water. the food was good planty of choice even he fussiest eater would be happy. the pools were nice and clean and yes we had locals come at the weekend but they where no problem and very nice if you actually get to talking to them .went on some excursions that were reasonably priced and fun please do the jeep safari all proceed go to local schools for the kids when i went 10 years ago the school was nothing but a shack with some benches and a chalk board . so pleae remember some people are born to moan i went with 4 friends ranging from 24 to 44 alll had a great time and we rebooking for same time next year this time bringing the kids

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank nannahannah
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I saw all the reviews about the trouble and was slightly worried , but I believe why shouldn't locals holiday in there own country (I do) and I can say there was no issues at all . I holidayed here with my 5 friends to come scuba diving , we were asked to fill in a question form about the hotel and we answered good to all ,I asked my friends what could be done to make it very good and we all thought and said nothing , what more can I say? If you want to go scuba diving don't go with the hotel company go with seapro divers there a lot cheaper and much more acommadating , go up the cable car just 10 dollars and the waterfalls are excellent ,don't go on organised trips ,use the hotel reception they will sort you out a driver who will take you we're ever you want .also use the steak restaurant this was good and they also made a birthday cake for my friend .

Room Tip: You only sleep and change in your room your holiday is everything you make it .
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank Rachelw_9
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Me, my partner and 2 children went to this hotel from 15th sept till 30th sept. After 9 hour flight delay thomsons fault we arrived 2 a nice but dated hotel. Me and my 8 year old son had stomach bugs for the whole holiday after being there 2 days but bein british we got on with it. The food was ok but could do with a rethink. It did get busy with locals at weekends and I know some tourists didnt like it but its there country, my children loved spending time with there kids. We did find cockroches in room but nothing a shoe cant handle. The cleaner worked really hard keeping are room clean especially as my son would bring half the beach back with him. The only problem I had was prostitutes, from are room u could see them sneeking in the hotel at night via the back kitchen doors. Always round the bars at night targeting single men. My family even sore 1 afternoon 2 prostitutes sunbathing round the pool with 2 old english men all over each other in front of children , till security ejected them from hotel. Had to try explain to 8 year old what was happening. Overall the hotels good, foods average, entertainment for kids is great but for adults ur'll get bored. Beach is nice but if u like snorkling forget it, all the coral is dead so hardly any fish. Would I go back, no not for the money I paid. More a 3 star hotel. Thomson are miss selling this holiday. . .

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank craigdoyle
Reviewed October 10, 2013

we arrived back on the 7th october having spent 2 weeks here. the rooms were large and clean.the beach is fantastic.The dining room and the and the bars are very dated and could do with a re-vamp.The breakfast is the best meal of the day as the restaurant and snack bar are awful bland food served luke warm we saw cockroaches in the dining room.The entertainment is poor at the best of times and the animation team only bother with guest that line their table with alcohol for them to drink.As for the locals coming in on fridays to mondays its horrendous they take over the pool their very loud and noisy, towels and swim wear always got stolen from balcony,s on weekends. the pool was shut because one crapped in the pool another urinated up the railing around the snack bar,we saw some fighting. And on an evening prostitutes frequent the hotel looking for business with the single male,s.Would I go back or recommend this hotel to anyone NOT a chance

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple