We stayed from the end f July for 3 weeks and had a fantastic time. We had originally been extremely worried about what to expect given the reviews but we had nothing to worry about.
The rooms are a bit dated but we found them to be okay and who can complain when the view is palm trees and the beach.
There are 3 different pools that cold be used but we mainly stuck to the Merengue because it's more child friendly. The pool staff and in particular Danny were great and made us feel really welcome. There were always sun bed available and that was with 11 of us so cant understand the problem.
The bar staff were fantastic. Even when it was busy you were never made to wait. Diaz in particular was great with us and ensured that we had no problems.
The massages on the beach were out of this world. Maria was our favourite.
And what can I say about the entertainment team? They were great. Maria was fantastic with the kids during the day and then later at the disco. The others including sexy belly, Bon Bon, cheeky monkey, mini me, sexy Lucy, spaghetti and candy were so friendly and tried really hard to ensure that everybody was happy. We loved the beach party the best and would definitely recommend them doing tht more than once a fortnight. The parties on Caribbean street were good as well
Only thing we didn't really like was the break in the middle with international music.
The food was fine as well. There was always a lot of choice and even though I'm a fussy eater I had no problems. The waiters at the restaurant were so friendly and accommodating especially javier.
We all dreaded the weekends coming because of the reviews but again there was no need. Yes it got busier but here were no problems. The locals were great and really knew how to enjoy themselves. They did not cause any problems. In fact I would say it was some of the British that didn't know how to behave. The way they spoke to people and he faces they made at them made we ashamed to be from the same country as them. Why shouldn't the locals come and enjoy the resort. Would we be happy not to be allowed to go to places in the UK because we are locals?
All in all we have had a great three weeks and would definitely recommend the place to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue