“Holiday nightmare” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, England, United Kingdom
“Holiday nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Arrivedv24/6 for 2 weeks first 4 days was great relaxed good service food good .. Then hell broke 1000 locals came on the Friday . We was told by the rep you get a few come weekends but not this many.. Couldn't use pool no towels left or sun beds . Food went down hill and ran out .. Adults in pool with shoes and clothes on also weeing and pooing in pool and beach .. Pushing shoving shouting felt like we was at a holiday camp .. They have not got any manners and take everything in sight . We asked to be moved but Emma the rep said no it wasn't that bad !!!! .. She to.ld us to o a private golf resort to get away from it .. We saw cockroaches in dining room and one was on my sisters bedside table and we was on 2nd floor !! Also saw a rat scullering through the grounds .. Prositutes also working the bars .. We feel very let down disappointed and angry that this sort of behaviour should be happening and feel Thompson have a lot of explaining to do . We booked a 14 day holiday but only got 4 days that was peace and felt like a holiday .. We cannot believe they are still sending people out there whilst all this is going on but I suppose we are subsidising the locals so they can have a holiday .. Thomson must be having piles of complaints but still not acting . Just hope people stay away and book somewhere else.. Think it was also bad when the rep Antonia tells you to book a excursion weekends they need to stop advertising trips and concentrate on the locals destroying british people's holidays . , cause without us going there want be any hotels or jobs

Room Tip: 1456/457 quite rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
32 Thank Mandy G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

June 2nd --- june 17th

it started off ok but after three days i developed a nasty rash that i am still under the doctor for , the food was not five star more like two staff will not serve you if they think you are not going to tip. but the best is Hotel rooms .com rent out the empty rooms to the locals on weekends the place is manic you can not get to the pool they are on the beach having sex .
and don't even think about eating, they pile thier plates with everything and by the time you get to the buffet it is all gone or cold ,two weekends running we lived on cheese and crackers.
i have complained to both Riu group and Thompsons

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
24 Thank SPROCKYDOG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am sitting here in the RIU Merengue at the moment, this is my 4th time here and after reading previous reviews and the stuff in the Daily Mail I have to ask "what is all the fuss about?"

So let's sart, the pool is not dirty or full of locals, who by the way have every right, in fact more so to visit this hotel as and when they please and they do pay for it by the way.

Food is available all day, and lots of it.

Entertainment do an excellent job and will always aim to please.

Bar staff excellent, drinks are local brands as advertised when I booked the holiday.

I am just amaized at some of the reviews on here and the story in the daily mail.

I have heard some of the guests that made the BIG show last weekend were very racist and rude even embarressing at some points.

I always research my destinations and their cultures first before travelling to a new country although if everyone did that first I am sure the UK would have no tourists visit its shores as our cultures and ways are far from perfect.

In a nutshell RIU Merengue is excellent value for money, Dominican people are lovley people with very different beliefs and culture to ours.

If you are booked for this hotel please come and see for yourself and don't be missled by other peoples negative opinions.

Right, now let me get back to my pina colada :-)

• Stayed July 2013
10 Thank misskymk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 23rd June-7th July I was 1 of the 150+ complainants in the daily mail article 10th July! I have never been so disgusted with the attitude of Thomson towards their guests! The first 3 days were quite quiet although the rooms were dated and not really what we expected but it was acceptable. Then came Friday, we were warned that locals would visit at the weekend so booked a trip for Saturday however we weren't expecting what was about to happen. Hundreds of locals took over the resort and not just for the weekend they kept coming through out the week leaving no food, urinating and excrementing in the pool, pooing in a glass because the toilets were too far at 20 yards away! harassing any female they could we were offered to move hotel but with only 1 day of our holiday left it was too late if this was offered when we first complained maybe our holiday could have bee salvaged. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!!! VERY POOR SHOW THOMSON! I cannot believe that with all the complaints I saw and all these reviews you are still selling this hotel and not acknowledging there is an issue.

• Stayed July 2013
32 Thank R1ojp
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

As a Dominican, I'm ashamed of what you guys have to experience.
In any decent culture/country, you would have offered a full refund plus a gratuity for your next trip, not to mention a free relocation to a better hotel.

The hotel itself is not the problem, but the culture behind the client service that exists here.

Tip for the future: If you want to come back, do not go to a hotel that has less than 4.5/5 stars, and always get the Club Membership. I rather pay more for a Class A service (Hey! It's the only vacation i got a year!) than to have it ruined by a bunch of savages that got the right to be there paying 1/10th of the price I paid.

Always look for the best hotels, best experiences, and pay a bit more.

bg.-

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank juana j
Carlisle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

During the week the Riu Hotels offer excellent service and is a nice relaxing holiday. But from Friday afternoon till Sunday night it's a nightmare, they allow the locals to enter the hotel who have NO manors and take everything in sight in the restrant they totally take over the pool area even if you are sitting on your sun bed!!

This happens in all the Riu Hotels in porta plata so YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED111

The hotel mangerment do not want to know and the Thompsons rep's do their best but have their hands tied.

I would like to see Thompsons refuse to support the Riu hotel chain untill they stop this from happening

We we NOT be going back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
23 Thank Cliff000
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were here for 14 nights from the 10th June 2013. (We left the week the 'uproar' started :-) )

I keep meaning to write a review, and I feel like after reading in the newspaper about this hotel, I feel something has been overlooked.

The staff, are amazing - they work (bloody!) hard. The animation team worked long hours, always greeted you and remembered who you are. You really felt like you were welcome. The bar staff were great - especially Diaz! (more so near the stage than by the snack bar, but that probably just is my preference and a lady pushed in before me one day so I got a bit annoyed..lol.)

The cleaners, they work all hours of the day, for not a lot. The ladies in the loo worked long hours. I really appreciated their efforts - a smile and a 'how are you' go a long way. The groundskeepers, they worked every day to keep the areas looking clean and tidy. A tip or cheeky cup of cola also lifts spirits!

When we arrived on the coach we were told about the locals coming in and to book excursions. Yes, not ideal for some people - but for us we did it for the first weekend (Ocean World which was fantastic!) as we had read reviews but thought surely it can't be that bad..

My boyfriend and myself found the food fantastic. Maybe it changes week by week, maybe you don't get the same chefs but I loved pretty much all of it! The sea perch and sea bream I looked for every night I enjoyed it so much. Those moaning about selection and variety - I can't see how it's possible. I had a different meal every night I was there... I don't really know how they could improve variety when you think how many are staying here..., obviously apart from the weekend scenario that's just crazy haha!

If you have loads of cocktails - you will get a dodgey tum! It's got coconut milk etc in it! The food is all very rich and sugary, that was my only problem - but I feel I may have got it from the pool towards the end me and my other half didn't trust the snack bar too much.

The last two nights (weekend) we ate in the a la cartes, wasn't great, wasn't bad - to be honest I liked the buffet choice more. It was a good move to eat here though as we avoided the massive influx of locals on the last weekend!

The rooms were spacious, optics included and soft drinks in the fridge.

Arrival was smooth. Welcome meeting is always helpful. I had already bought one excursion before we came directly via Outback Safari. I did this because the Thomson price was more and I don't know how much Thomson take out of Outbacks price if that makes sense?

The last weekend was bad - and I imagine the amount of people coming in is going higher and higher by the sounds of things. There are a few of things that made me really cross. Locals pulling on the toilet doors, if you look at the bolts they are all damaged, bent. This is because one, two pushes isn't enough. Nor is banging and pulling at the door it seems!! A family one day came and crowed us, sat under a metre away from me whilst I was enjoying the sun waiting for our sunloungers!! Yeah wait but don't sit on me whilst waiting.

Different country, different culture I do get it, but I think when someone is paying a lot of their well earned money to stay in your beautiful country perhaps think twice before digging forks in their backs to make the queue go faster....

There are more points but I hate to leave a bitter review on something that was otherwise a beautiful holiday.

Overall I would say do come here, we were only disappointed on the last weekend. I think this was because there were so more locals than the weekend before. By the sounds of things it looks like even more at the moment. I would go perhaps earlier in the year, Beginning of May end of June. We really enjoyed it, as a our first holiday as adults. I have always turned my nose up to all inclusive, but I would do it again purely for ease - especially in a country I do not know too much about.

I would just say it is not too walkable to anywhere, you would have to take a taxi, or bus which was a bit of a limitation for us, as we like to walk to places and wanted to explore more of the country. Please send me a message if you want to know any more info. If you are going here this Summer, please try not to worry.

Relax, take it easy. A positive outlook is helpful! Seeing how the poorer Dominicans live, really put my life into perspective. Yes we paid a lot of money, and yes we will be writing to First Choice/ Thomson... but you are going into a completely different culture.

:-) x

Room Tip: We had a room further into the gardens, away from the pool noise and away from Caribbean Street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#3 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,236 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Merengue? Share your experiences!