“Merengue Review”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Stayed at this hotel in March/April 2008. We tried to do a little research before we went, and thought we had - but now realise that we should have read between the lines a little more.

The location is very nice, with lovely sandy beaches and green hills behind making for nice views. We found the hotel to be very clean and the staff ever so helpful. The rooms are a little basic, but for the cost you cannot expect more. The rooms are in villas, which hold eight rooms, and are located in nicely kept gardens. The block we were in was in a peaceful spot, away from the road/hotel. We could not fault the rooms, or the service at all.

The beach wasn't too busy, as a lot of people, especially those with families tended to stay around the pool. The pool area seemed to have the same CD on repeat for 2 weeks, and the pool had to be closed 3 times whilst we were there as someone did a number 2 in it!! Nice!

I never really believed that people get up at the crack of dawn to put their towels out, but they did!! We couldn't be bothered to get into all of that, but it was very frustrating when there were towels out in all the spots under trees etc,, and the owners didn't show up till much later in the day. There we also lots of fag butts in the sand, and I saw a woman flick her fag into the sea, right near a young child who was swimming. I smoke myself, and would never leave a fag but in the sand - there are plenty of bins etc around. Some people are either lazy, or don't know any better.

I had read a few negative reviews about the state of the sea. Although it is not crystal clear, it is not that bad. It can be a little rough, but nothing anybody who can swim would have trouble with. There are some sharp rocks, and little black sharp things which I got stung by, again, didn't really cause a problem. Talking of stinging things, if you react to mosquito bites, take plenty of Jungle Formula or the like, and make sure it has the high deet concentrate. I forgot to spray it on one evening, and had 40 very very big, sore and itchy spots - also looked dreadful! There were a few people with infected bites which looked very sore.

The food - I also read some negative reviews on the food, but we thought it was fine. There is a decent salad bar, and a lot of variety. The beach bar serves lunch, but we preferred to go to the main restaurant. The beach bar turns into a restaurant in the evening, but you have to book. They serve steak or Italian - no great shakes, but then it is not an Italian, or a proper steak house - both were ok, and it was much more peaceful than the main restaurant.

I did get ill for a few days, and I was very sick. I'm not too sure whether it was the food - I think it was more likely the fact that so few people washed their hands after coming out from the loo!! It was quite revolting! They have the alcho gel, but this will not clean hands properly! I was really careful, but still picked up the dreaded bug.

Entertainment - When we read the reviews, this is what we should have picked up on; The terms 'enthusiastic', 'good effort', 'interesting' should have been a hint. The animation team DO put in the effort, and it WAS interesting, but the team are not professionals in the arts of entertainment. They have a weekly rota for the shows, so if you are there for 2 weeks, you will see it twice. The 'acts' also rotate round the hotels (3 hotels in the resort). We gave up on the cringey evenings, and read some books! We ventured to the 'nightclub' Pacha a few times which was ok, and quite a laugh. One experienced 'Caribbean traveller' said that the entertainment was the poorest quality he had experienced on the islands, and we should not think that the other resorts are like it. Someone else said they made pontins entertainment look fab. It's all ok, but if entertainment is high on your list of priorities, may not be for you.

All in all, it was an ok holiday, but we would not return, as the type of resort it is, is not our cup of tea. I am not the kind of person to be negative, or moan, and I appreciate that many who read this, having been there, will strongly disagree with my comments, but not everyone likes the same kind of thing. Put it this way - before we went, we had seen a few episodes of Benidorm, and it wasn't that dissimilar! Classy it is not! But hey, for the low cost, you do get some nice sun and relaxation.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dorset1

Reviewed May 25, 2008

Lots has been written about the Riu Merengue, some not so good but mostly positive. I'm happy to say our experience was really a great one.

This was our first time to the Dominican, there were four of us, my Wife, two children, 5 and 1 and myself. We were'nt sure what to expect but from the moment our travel rep (Fiona, Thomson) picked us up from the airport to when we left we felt very welcome, secure and had a great time.

Having young children we were a bit weary of how they would be treated, as they aren't always little angels but any fears were soon gone as all the staff made a fuss of them, from giving them high fives to talking, dancing cuddling and giving them kisses. All the staff that we met were extremely friendly and it really made our holiday.

Our son who is 5 really enjoyed the entertainment, it won't be for everyone but the effort that the animation team put in is phenominal. They have an early childrens disco from 8pm till 8.30 then from around 9.30 the adult shows start. Our favourite was the Michael Jackson show and a night not to be missed is the Carribean street party. This is where all three of the Riu hotels come together with all animation staff interacting and dancing, it has to be said that the animation team from the Meregue are the best, look out for Blacky Blacky, Blondie, Eddie Murphey who our 1 year old daughter took a liking to and Mickey Mouse who our son really adored.

Some people on here have moaned about the lack of choice of the food. This I don't understand, I'm a really fussy eater, every day their was something different with atleast 5 different main course options aswell as the salad bar, cheese counter, fruit counter and desserts, I certainly didn't go hungry. Breakfast was really good to, don't miss one of Oscars freshly made omeletes made in front of you with a choice of up to 6 toppings. All the bar staff and waiters were very friendly and I don't think I waited any more than a minute to get served.

We spent most of our time on the beach, which was very clean and offered both sunshine and shade. The Ocean was warm and for 13 out of 14 days was calm. We found the best spot to swim was in front of the Mambo next to the scuba hut. The water stays quite shallow until you reach the buoys where you would struggle to stand up. Although we kept a close eye on our son we were happy for him to play in the sea without being with him all the time.

The hotel was kept clean by what seemed and army of staff. The grounds were spotless and our room was kept clean by a lovely woman called Julia. She left us towel art most days and was great with our kids, putting little flowers in our daughters hair and dressing up their teddys, which put a smile on their faces.

We went on three trips whilst there. The first was the Monster trucks, a trip into the Domincan hills through three rivers, you look around a school, that is sponcered by Monster trucks, a typical family home and finaly you stop at a building by the river where you get to eat and then swim if you wish. It was hot, humid got wet in the water fight with the other trucks and had a really great time. Our guide was called Arny, from the moment we got on the truck he looked after us, we were constantly supplied with drinks, pepsi, 7 up, water, beer and of course rum, this is all included as well as the food in the price of the tour.

Our second trip out was the Puerto Plata city tour. This we didn't enjoy but having young children didn't help. We first went on the cable car up the mountain, which I did enjoy but it was the only day it rained whilst we were their, so the view from the top was spolied by cloud. We then went to a rum factory, bought some rum, Brugal, 1tr for £3. then to what was called a jewelry factory, more like shop, this was the most anoying time for us as our guide emptied the coach and explained it was a 50 mtr walk to the factory, we were last off and had to put our 1 year in her buggy but the guide didn't wait for us and they soon disappeared out of sight, we had to make our way through people trying to give flowers and toys to our kids for money. Luckily a man pointed to where our group had gone, if he hadn't we would have been lost, as I mentioned earlier rather than looking like a factory it was a shop that looked the same as any other. We then went to a fortress and amber gallery. The whole tour seemed rushed to us, I'm glad I did it but I would not recomend it.

Our last trip was to Ocean world. We paid for a dolpin encounter, this was done with about 20 other people, more than we thought and as we were the last group to get in the water seemed a little rushed but we really enjoyed it, we got to touch, feed kiss and hug the dolphin, truly a great experience. we saw the sealion show went in the snorkel reef feed some birds and swam near some tigers but best of all, was my son and wife were picked out to do the dolpin show. Joshua got to wave to the crowd as he was towed by a dolphin whilst sat on a surf board. Donna my wife played ball with them before she swam with them round the pool. Truly a magical day. One word of warning, their is a booth set up near the gift shop saying VIP tours,we were approached by a man who said it was a tour of ocean world and the harbour by golf cart, which was in with the price of the day, don't go as to our cost we found out after being dropped off at a hotel it was a time share scam, after showing my displeasure we were soon dropped back at ocean world.

We were very sad to come home and can honestly say we had a great time at the Riu Merengue, don't expect things to be perfect but they are very good. although we won't be going next year, we will go back soon.

Peter Clark

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank jjpclark
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Horrible vacation. No A/C, they changed my room and no A/C again.. Food was terrible. Pool was dirty.. What more do I need to say.. I don't understand how people can give this hotel a high rating.. I would rate this a 2 star hotel.. No way this place is a 5 star.

Stayed: May 2008
5  Thank bdgirl34
Reviewed May 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed may 5-11. we are in our 40's and have stayed at all inclusives in mexico. we knew the Riu was not "sandels" and didn't expect a 5 star..as a matter of fact airfare from atlanta, transfers from prieto tours, and 7 nights only came to $850 each which is comparable to a 3 star cancun deal, so we were expecting a lot less. I saw the ultra low prices for the riu's in DR for a couple of years and after reading a lot of good reviews finally went for it...bottom line is we would happily do it again. the good and bad are as follows:

Bad things first...the beds are very uncomfortable. for the last 2 days i used the pads for the pool loungers to pad the matress and slept on top of the slightly damp covers, if we go back i will pack an egg carton style foam pad or buy inflatable pool floats to sleep on. I doubt the other hotels had upgraded beds but if they did it would be worth the extra bucks.
The air conditioner barely cooled, even cranked down to its lowest with the ceiling fan going it was a little warm, I asked the desk to send someone to check it, but they never did which told me- thats as good as it gets unless we wanted to switch rooms. Since we were only in the room to sleep and change we stayed where we were 2016. we brought a smelly candle but the room still smelled like wet couch, the only way to air it out would require both doors open for most of the day and that wasnt an option so we dealt with it, you get used to it after a few days.
Minor annoyances included no washcloth until next to last day (good thing we packed a few)..no conditioner , just shampoo.
certain hours no food available just before dinner (they shut down snack bar to turn area into italian and steakhouse for dinner) and after dinner ...even though i thought they said merenge had 24 hour snack bar we could not find it.
No air conditioned bars or restaraunts ( the only places with air were your room, the casino, and the gift shops) with the breeze this was not a problem but one day it threatened to rain and when the wind stopped it became very muggy, reminded me of atlanta in july. would hate to be there in really hot months with no breeze and no place cool to eat or drink (ceiling fans can only do so much) House brand rums hurt my head the one night i tried them at the disco...the rest of the time i stuck with Brugal rum and had no problem, top shelf for DR!!
We got there at the end of a local holiday and a lot of locals and thier kids were there, sortta took the fun out of the swim up bar to have a bunch of six year olds drinking virgin frozen drinks all around us, thankfully most all of them left after only one day of crowded pools and buffets. Pool tables (3) were a joke, they were badly in need of leveling, had worn cloth and rails and i had to get a good sized crab out of the ball return to play, the pool room is blocked from the breeze and very hot. entertainment was hokey and not very good (even if you had a few drinks). Watch for ants on the beach i noticed a ring of different colored sand near a tree root and looked closer it was fire ants, a few bit my wife at the beach and shes still getting over them (they got inflamed after we got home) so be carefull where you put your chair!!
Last on my list of minor annoyances... the one beach bar had no alchahol except for some nasty tasting draft stout beer called Presidente.

Ok now for the good, I would say the best part of staying at the Mambo was you could use the other properties, nobody had a wristband except for some people at the Bachata (thier buffet must be something special) we used all the pools, all the bars, and the buffet at mambo and merenge.
the merenge had a better buffet with expanded choices (we ate there 3 out of 7 nights and a couple of lunches), the specialty resturants were nothing special (we did the steakhouse once and then hit the buffet) the breakfast buffet at the mambo was awesome, so many choices nobody will go hungry. look in the back for the fresh juices and smoothies, much better than the orange juice in the machine. never a problem getting a table for any meal.
Pepsi products only. Most of the mixers were very sweet and each bar had 4-6 frozen machines with unknown concoctions (whats in the orange? or purple colored) the answer would sometimes surprise me...most were too sweet to have more than one, I stuck mainly with Brugal and pepsi in my big insulated cup to cut back on trips to the bar. Unlike mexico all the bars were well staffed and all the bartenders smile and gave great service. Try a Mamawaunna (it's a local shooter type drink, tastes like watered down jagermiester to me) don't let the look of the bottle scare you. I did like the Brahma beer in the minibar. Bachata had some imported brands at one of thier bars. try all the mixers but always ask for brugal rum with them to avoid a hangover from the bar brand stuff.
The tv has a few english channels including cinimax and hbo, our reception stunk so we called the desk, in 15 minutes john the technician came and respliced the connectors on the cable and fixed it very nicely.
Large assortment of water toys to use, we brought our own snorkel gear and there is good sights off the beach here...the mambo end had all the shells and good sandy areas but only wildlife were sea urchins in the seagrass on far right and about 50 grey angelfish that will eat a hardroll from your hand. Lots of topless women, most looked good. the bachata end of the beach had more variety of fish to look at and if you swim to the left of the small sting of bouys and out a 100 yards you can see some great coral sections. brain corals the size of pool chairs and a good size grove of fan coral is on the back side of the first reef...its too shallow to swim over to get to it so you have to go around the left side to see the best stuff. I couldn't see the $50 for the snorkel boat when they had great stuff right off the beach. No problem getting chairs on the beach any time of day just drag a couple where you want them...we went to the right and hid under a big tree near the water for shade...was more relaxing than the pool because no kids screaming or people playing water polo. Other than a hokey animation dance at 10am there is no music by the pools or beach...sometimes the bartender would play a little boombox radio, so if you like tunes , bring your own. Merenge had a few rooms (suites it looked like) that had ocean view and a few buildings at Bachata had a view but that alone wouldnt justify the extra cost. The mambo was just fine.

thats all i can write for now hope it helps ease your mind ,the Mambo is a great place, be prepared for the little that needs to be dealt with, and enjoy the good food, drinks, and service that will make you overlook the bad stuff.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Wise2u
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Getting there: The trip was very long but in the end it was well worth it. There are no direct flights from Chicago to the Dominican Republic so we had a layover in Newark, NJ. Our flight was delayed leaving Chicago due to weather but there is nothing you can do about that. Because we booked our trip through the Riu website transportation to the resort was provided free of charge. We took a van to the resort and only had to stop at the Riu properties so it took about 1 hour to get to the resort from the airport. We did have to pay $10 US to enter the Dominican Republic, but we never had to pay the $20 US to leave (I have read in the forum that you had to pay $20 US to get out of the country.)

Resort: Overall the resort is fabulous. The resort is huge. I didn’t think we were going to be able to walk around the whole resort, but once you find the walkways it was very easy. The grounds are beautiful. The employees never stop working. They have a couple employees stationed at every public restroom and the restroom was spotless. As you left the restroom there was an employee stationed outside offering you hand sanitizer.

Room: The check in went very smoothly, we were in our room approximately 15 minutes after we arrived. We requested a room near the pool, with a king size bed (see pictures), on the second floor. We got exactly what we asked for. The beds were okay not the best I have ever slept on but they are not as bad as some people claim. The size of the room was adequate. The bathroom was a little small. You do have a desk with a mirror outside of the bathroom so you can get ready while someone is in the shower. It took us a while to figure out how to turn on the shower. The first shower I took, I barely had any water. We also had to call for towels because there were none in our room when we arrived. The outlets are different from the outlets we have in the US so we had to get an adapter from the front desk. They did require a $5.00 US deposit that was returned to us when we returned the adapter.

Pool and Beach: The pool was wonderful. They were constantly cleaning the pool and there was always someone around if you need a towel. I think the pool at the Bachata was the nicest because I would have liked sitting around the swim up bar. The pool at the Merengue was good but nothing special. There was always plenty of chair and shade but I am an early riser so I would go outside early and wait for my husband to get up. We did leave our stuff on our chairs but only to go to breakfast and then we would come right back. I did not really see chairs that were left vacant for long periods.

The beach was very nice in front of the Merengue although it was very windy. The water sports are located between the Merengue and Mambo so we were in the perfect spot. We only used the paddleboats and I was able to take some great pictures of the resort from the water. They did have wind surfing, kayaks and small sail boats that you can use free of charge.

Food and Beverages: The food was good. We only ate at the Merengue buffet so I can’t say anything about the others. There was a wide variety of food to choose from and everything I tried was very good. We did eat at the Steak House and the Italian Restaurant once and I thought the beef was very good but then again I am not very picky when it comes to food.

The beverages were wonderful. The bartenders were the nicest people and super friendly. You could order anything you want and every drink I ordered was great. We were making up different drinks and they had no problem making whatever we wanted.

Entertainment: We thought the animation team did a wonderful job. They were cheerful and friendly at all times, even after working outside all day and well into the evening entertaining the guests. They were constantly working. I loved how they tried to get everyone involved in the fun and games. During the day, they kept the guest involved with games by the pool and on the beach. In the evening, they had everyone up dancing on the plaza. They really went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. Eddie Murphy and Whitey were the best. We really enjoyed sitting on the plaza having drinks in the evening and listening to the music. They DJ played a wide variety of music so everyone enjoyed it. The animation team put on a show in the evening but we were always too busy talking to other guests that we hardly saw the show.

The casino is very small but they do have slot machines, black jack and 3-card poker. I cannot remember if they had any other table games. You did have to pay for your drinks in the casino, but you can go right outside the casino to the bar where you can get free drinks. I thought this was very strange but I figured a private party must run the casino.

The disco was a blast, even for people in their late 40’s. They played all different kinds of music so it was enjoyed by every country that was represented at the resort. The bartenders were so much fun. We enjoyed many blue shots with them.

One piece of advice I would give would be to spend the extra money (if it really does cost extra) and book your tour through the people at the hotel. We took the advice of the forum and booked through Isaira Tours. It started out good; I received two email confirmations and a phone call upon our arrival to the resort that they were going to pick us up on Tuesday morning at 8:35 am in our hotel lobby. They never showed up. Luckily, we had not paid in advance for the tour. We received a call later that evening and they said they got confused because there was some sort of holiday and they forgot what day it was. Who knows what really happened, I was only a little disappointed because I never got to see what Puerto Plata was like.

I would highly recommend the resort to anyone who is looking for a fun, relaxing and reasonably prices vacation. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me directly at carol.henderson83@yahoo.com.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank cah83
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Me and my BF have just come back from here.(Were a young couple) It isn't how we expected it before, i have visited Babados before and there is a reason DR is alot cheaper.

The rooms were abit dated but always very clean, the maids visited every day and gave us clean towels, and left some nice towel art.you get an alcohol optic which is nice and the fridge is restocked every other day. the TV ws also quiet gd, only about 7 english channels but always something to watch lol.

All the staff there are very very friendly, they do work very hard and deserve a good tip. Watch out there are alot of arrogant people who visit this place and don't even tip or use any manners towards the bar staff, it was disgusting. If you tip aswell you do get priority service :). They had soo much alcohol, they would make special cocktails everyday but you could hardly taste the alcohol so ask for more and you get it. Be warned say away from the Daiquir's, they are sooo strong and left us ill all the next day lol.

All the staff are friendly from the bar staff to the animation team, the maids and even the handly men. They always let on to you which ws nice.

The food was ok bt basic. There wasn't anything amazing about it and it got very repetitive.

The pool was always very loud with the animation team(aqua aerobics etc), we spoent most of our time on the beach. We didn't realy like the sea as it was rockley and had lots of rocks in it, and its not the clear white sands you imagine for the caribean.

If your looking for a cheap caribean getaway where you are confined to your hotel you will love this place, i would not return! This hotel is advertised by riu as a 5 star, this is probably a 3plus.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank becs66
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Stayed at the Riu Merengue for 15 days end April/Beg May. Will give you the good and not so good about the holiday. Will not say good and bad as there was nothing you could call bad…

Flight with First Choice - Great plane! We did not travel premier this time but had plenty of room on the journey. Their long haul planes are the best. Only problem was that the in flight entertainment was not working, broke down before we left. We were told that it would have been a five hour delay to get it repaired so we did without it. Was not too good, but we survived.

Check in – was great, very quick and painless. Better than a lot we have been to.

Hotel – Room was great. I emailed beforehand and asked to be near the sea and was one room back. (The front were suites, so would not have been able to be any nearer). Clean, roomy, everything worked although the air conditioning was not great. If it had not been for the ceiling fan, it would have been fairly hot in the room. Optics over the fridge were topped up every other day, although with the cocktails etc., in the bars we did not use these very often.

Food – Although not quite such a selection as on other AI holidays, it was cooked and presented well. Instead of having numerous sweets and cakes that looked good but tasted the same, they had a smaller selection, but tasted as they looked. I got hooked on the cheesecake. One of the best I have tasted. I think overall the quality of food was the best that we have had. But don’t bother with the two speciality restaurants. You have to queue for these (which is not a problem as this happens in a lot of AI’s) but the end result is very disappointing. They just have a selection of the tables for the Steakhouse and a selection for the Italian. The food is mediocre. (Steak is served with potatoes, broccoli and carrots) and there is no atmosphere as in most AI speciality restaurants. As the food is so good in the buffet, it is not worth queuing for these. The only thing I did not like about the buffet restaurant is that the waiters seemed to save a lot of tables for guests. I could not figure out why this was, and some nights it was hard to find a good table because of this. I don’t know if goods tips were given to reserve the tables, but, although we tipped the cleaning and bar staff, this put me off tipping the waiters. Also the tables were so very close together. We found it best to get a table for four so you were not sitting on the next doors lap.

Pool – Looked OK, although we never used it. Lots of families around and quite noisy at times. We just prefer the beach. Much more room and a lot quieter.

Beach – Was good, we sat up near Caribbean Street, near our room, and it was fine. Plenty of shade from trees if you needed it and, if not, you just moved your bed into the sun. I read that some found the sand gritty, but this seemed to be farther along. The sand where we were was really fine. The water was disappointing. It was deep enough to swim where we were, but I found it colder than the South side of the island. We went south a few years ago and the water was really, really warm. But the North side is the Atlantic and it was chilly in the morning and slightly better in the afternoon. It was quite rough a lot of the time and the red flag was out a few days. Did find it rather rocky at the edge so found it best to wear swim shoes.

Staff - were great. Really tried to make your stay enjoyable. The nightly entertainment was not fantastic but was good compared to some we have seen at other resorts.

Bar – the bar staff were fantastic. Always ready to fill up the men’s beer glass when nearly empty. Not quite so keen to fill up the women’s unless you asked, but I think that is just their culture. Wasn’t a problem with me. Never went short. Loved the Coca Locos and Banana Liquors.

You do have the three hotels to choose from, and can use all the facilities in any of them apart from evening meal. We used the bar at the Riu Bachata in the evening and then came back to the one in the Merengue. There is a casino in the Bachata which is fun if you want to play with a few dollars.

Weather – we had thirteen days of sunshine and two days of torrential rain, so we could not complain. If you need to know what the weather is like, don’t go on the internet weather sites, they say it rains every day. Go onto the forum page and look for BoBK and his weather forecasts. He lives in DR and is spot on. He gives a forecast most days.

Trips – We went on the Catamaran trip and Paradise Island. Both were great. The crew on the Cat entertained you the whole time (One word of warning, they do have two great water fights between the two sister cats, but if you don’t want to take part and you ask the crew what side the water fight is, always go to the opposite side, they are really really sneaky). But, if you like sea trips, then you will certainly like this. Paradise Island was also great. You go on a speed boat, which is really an experience, and the snorkelling is great. You go out for about half an hour and actually see live coral. One word of caution, you come back by coach and the first ten mile of the trip is extremely bumpy, we were unfortunate to sit near the back of the coach and I found it very unpleasant.

Overall it was a good holiday and I would certainly recommend this. To anyone who has booked and wondering what it is like – please don’t worry, you will have a fantastic time.

Anyone want to ask any questions please do not hesitate.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple