Just returned Aprl 26 from a week there. Loved the place!
Rooms-got a 2nd level in the Gardens that we requested. Rooms are clean and neat and have a great balcony.No prob with air condition other than a minor leak we discovered one day coming back-put a bucket under it, called the desk who had someone there in 5 min and fixed and cleaned shortly after. Found the beds (yes, 2 doubles pushed together) and pillows fine. Tv gets about 5-6 english channels.
Food-found it just fine. Ate some lunches at the Bachata which I liked just a little more than the gardens but no real complaints. Good variety all meals-meat at the dinner buffet at the Gardens was great. Turkey, roast beef, pork, chicken, sushi night. Always soemthing to enjoy. Did not do the a la cartes since we heard on here they were nothing special.
Bars-were all great. Spent the most time at the plaza bar at the pool in the Gardens. Bartenders observant and would make you anything you asked for. Daily slushy specials-all good but some way too sweet after a few of them.
Beach and pools- all good. Enjoyed the beach with the tree vs resorts with the sunshades. Lots of spots on beach-always get a chair. Pool side filled up earlier. Rough footing once into the water a little ways-beach at the village little better. Also went to small beach around the corner of the gazeebo beside the bachata. Quiet, no loungers but nice place to try for an afternoon. Couple of vendors that greet you and welcome you but never ever bother you.
Animation team-amazing and work hard. Friendly, funny and never pressure you to take part in something.
Excursions-did puerto plata/cable car half day. Nice and learned lots.
Best trip was the horseback and zipline trip. Amazing-great staff and the ziplines were cool. The last one is long and high and after a short trek up a mountain. Almost a kilometer long. nerve wracking at time but you get to do 4 practice ones and decide if you want to continue. once you do, there is no turning back. If you quit, i guess you hang out at the patio area near the stable where the zipliners finish nearby afterwards-about 2 hours later. Afterwards they serve pop, rum, water and fruit before leaving.
Caribean street-pricey and some vendors are a little too aggressive but when you need to by some things to bring back, its the place to go.
Shows/entertainment-usually pretty good-also had a beach party/bonfire, caribean street party and a poolside BBQ while there. Not much to do after shows that end around 1130. Bar at bachata open until 6am but I found a real lack of music overall at the resort and the bars. More night life needed for those who dont want to turn in by 1130-midnight. Snack bar at gardens open late for late night snacks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue