“Jan 29-Feb 13th, 2013”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Riu Merengue Village...the food was acceptable, the drinks delicious, the pool was excellent and in my opinion the best pool of the three there, and the beach was far above my expectations. We experienced some of the best and most interesting snorkelling ever! The ocean was warm and the water was so calm, it was wonderful! Upon reading some of the reviews we were a bit worried because this was our first trip to Puerto Plata and having been to Punta Cana several times we wanted to try somewhere new. At first we were disappointed to discover we were placed at the Village instead of the Gardens but thought we'd give it a try. The first room we stayed in was in the building farthest away and in the very last room! There were a few minor issues but the main problem was the distance from everything; no problem! We asked the staff at the front desk to move us and our request was honored almost immediately! We were moved to a closer building which was renovated and excellent! The room was perfect, location was awesome, and it was a great vacation overall :) The staff, each and every one that we had contact with, were awesome! The evenings were quiet for us, but that's what we chose; there's lots of fun to be had if that's what you like...all in all, we would recommend this resort and may return again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NormaMacFadden
Write a ReviewReviews (5,446)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have just come back from a pleasant couple of weeks at Hotel Merengue, though this wasn't our ideal destination, we prefer a calmer enviroment, this is a big busy resort. We only used the beach as there's lots of noise & events around the pool from the organised entertainment & crew: great if that's what you enjoy and not meant as a criticsm. The beach was good & has lots of natural shade though in 14 days we had 12 red flag swimming days ( & I suspect this is quite often the case). Overall the the staff were very nice & helpful, the resort is very clean, generally well maintainned & laid out, though a little dated in areas. Food is good (if you limit yourself & plan what goes on your plate !) though not inspiring. There is certainly a large choice of food which is slightly better in the Hotel Bachata (not accessible in the evening to Merengue or Mambu residents). Wine is totally unpalatable everywhere but some branded alcohols such as Camparis & Jack Daniels are offered & we did have fresh mint & lime for the mojito's - so great sun downers.
I understand why there are contrasting reviews on this hotel, I've been there & have trouble deciding ! It definately made a difference that we upgraded to a sea view appartment, so it's worth a try.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Billboard007
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hello-My family of six adults stayed at this resort for a week from March 12-20,13 and I want to tell you we had a great time. The food was the best I have ever had in the Carribian, & I have made 8 trips before this one. The rooms were immaculate and the staff made sure it stayed that way each day. The pool was always being cleaned because the leaves from the palm trees blow into it- that was the worse thing in it. Many of the reports I read before going said they think the spot is a 2 star- shake your head people this place was awsome. I loved the flight times in & out gave us really 8 full days on a beautiful beach-lots of chairs and never a line up at the buffet. We loved all the activities and made use of all them that we desired. I would go back in a minute-actually we looked at the price to go down again this year.....

Room Tip: The buildings are only 2 floors so if you have mobility issues get one on ground level it was so con...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jhornerDartmouth
Reviewed March 25, 2013

this all inclusive holiday was fab from start to finish, food was great, staff were amazing, rooms were very clean and the slightest thing was fixed immediately. The staff did a dance on the bridge over the pool at 10am and 3pm that was enough to get anyones pulse racing wow!!!
recommend the trip on the speed boat to go snorkling the sea was sooooo turquoise feed the fish by hand.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jane7Aylesbury
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is my 1st review and 1st trip we stayed at the Riu Merengue between March 12/19 2013
1st off....We had an awesome time here!!I will do this as easy as possible.
Resort-Very clean
Staff-Very polite
Rooms-Nothing special ,but your here to enjoy the pool or beach.Its nice that the resort doesnt have that hotel feel to it either.
Food-excellent..if you can,t find something to eat,your to picky.We ate at a la carte once which was good but we preferred the buffet selection.You may see reviews about the wine being horrible but a beg to differ,white wine was nice and light
Bar staff-great
Beach-Red flagged the whole time...but I can swim,I didnt bother with water shoes but I would recommend them.The beach reminds me of Cavendish or Brackley Beach(love the waves)We had no problem getting beach loungers either(pool different story)
If you go past the Brachata end there is a small beach of the resort it's quiet but venders are alway on ya and you dont have a bar or loungers.Water shoes a must here!!
Beer is good
Slushy drinks even better
Animation team- fun to see in action
We booked the catamaran with our travel group but it was cancelled do to bad weather....We asked for our money back(with little trouble) and re-booked with the company on the resort.It was cheaper,shorter bus ride and goes around further so its even a shorter bus ride back.Talk to Rhami,the money we saved we ended up booking the 4 wheeler trip also and both well worth the money.
Weather was ok for our trip...Temps were good just hoped for more sun,think 2 days were overcast.
We had the odd vender on the beach trying to do your hair or let me take your picture and visit my hut but just say no thanks and they move on.
The only downfall was leaving from Ch'Town 4:40 pm and arriving sometime after 8 or so and having to leave a 6:40 in the morning to return.
I know I'm missing some details but I think I made my point and would return.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Cruesin
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 teens) just returned frrom a 2 week vacation at the riu merengue garden and I wanted to take a few minutes to share our experience. Let me start off by saying we had a wonderful time and had not 1 complaint about the resort over the whole 2 week period. The staff were ALL great, from the reception manager Flory and all her staff Yamel,William,Stanley,Maria,Juancarlos,Mr.Holguin,Evengela,Tatiana,Rafael,Junior to all the wait staff Neury, Julio at the beach snack bar, Rafael the senior chef, pool boys, housekeeping, gardeners,bartenders and all the animation team. They work so hard and it shows, their efforts are far and beyond.The resort is split into 3 Riu merengue Garden, Riu merengue Village and riu Bachata, regardless of where you are booked you are free to use all 3 except for dinner where you must dine at your own resort. we loved the garden at it was the middle of the 3 and very easy to get to everything. Unfortunatley the 1st week there our weather was terrible but the second week cleared up beautifully and there was always activities going on rain or shine.The fitness centre is small and basic but still useable and Jackson there works very hard at keeping it clean.The food was good and 2 al cartes to choose from. The beach was very good, HOWEVER, I would stongly recommend water shoes as ugly as they are as there are many rocks going into the water that hurt your feet and many many people once in the water were hurt by stepping on sea urchens(as did my daughter) and had to be seen by a doctor to have them removed otherwise would become infected.We did 2 excursions 1,dunebuggies and 1 catamerang and fully enjoyed both and worth the money.(both booked at the hotel)Caribean street is a street between the Garden and the Bachata and has lots of shops and I feel that the prices for souvenirs and things were th same prices as in town.(which we went by local bus1$ u.s per person and a safe fun outing) The rooms are very basic and nothing great rather on the smaller side but then how much time do you spend in your room anyway. All in all we would most certainly return and stay at the Garden again. well worth the $$. Thanks again to all the great staff, hope to return next year....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank roston
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Once again we were not disapointed. Third time there stayed at the old mambo now the merengue village. Food very good and there would be no reason to go hungry. Rooms very clean. Grounds very clean. Staff are the best we have ever encoutered. Beach great and can do a lot of beach walking, don"t forget to walk down to the cove, beautiful!!!!!!!! I would not fly into Samana again as it was a 4 hour bus ride. Just go and enjoy. can"t wait to go back next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends