Our family of 3 adults (2 in our 30's, 1 in her 60's), 1 child (5) stayed here Nov 25th - Dec 2nd 2012. This was not our first choice for our vacation, but when our first couple of choices went up in price, we decided to book here.
Our flights were with Sunwing Airlines out of Toronto. We can't say enough good things about them. Our flights were early by 20 minutes going both ways. Hot meals on the flights, free head phones. Great.
We arrived in Puerto Plata around 8:30 at night, and it seemed like we were the only flight at the airport that night. We payed for our tourist card quickly, retrieved our bags and then a quick walk outside to our bus. There we got a package with our room number, and other information about the hotel. The drive to the hotel was about 45-50 minutes with stops at 2 other hotels. When we arrived at the hotel, we were given a welcome cocktail, and room key, safe key to our room. There wasn't any available bell boys to take us to our room, so we took our luggae to our room.
Our room(s)..... This was the worst part of the hotel and our vacation. Our first room, when we walked in, we were surprised by how small it was. Then when we checked out the washroom, we saw that the window to outside was broken. It looked like a rock or something had been thrown through it. So, we headed back down to reception and told them about it. They gave us another room, no questions asked. In the second room, when we walked in and it smelled really musty. We looked at the ceiling and it was covered in mold. So, another trip to reception and other room. This one we checked over, and it was fine. The air conditioning worked fine, the bar was re-stocked every other day.
Restaurants - They were ok. Not a 5 star level, but ok. We only ate at the buffet, the a la cartes didn't interest us. Plus, you had to book them the morning of. For breakfast, they had an omellete station, bacon, sausage, toast, fruit, cereal. All the normal stuff. Lunch was good. They had a wood oven to make pizzas, 3 types of pasta made fresh, fish, different meats. Dinner was much of the same, but with different theme nights (Asian, Italian, Dominican). Desserts were not that great. Some fruit, a couple of cakes.
Pools - The pool at the Merengue was busy during the day. Not that many huts for shade. The animation team does a lot of activities during the day there. We went to the pool at the Mambo every day. The Mambo hotel was closed, but the pool, bar, and washrooms were open. It was quiet and perfect. I think by now, the Mambo has opened back up.
Beach - We only went to the beach a couple of days. There was some rain and bad weather so the ocean was rough. Lots of sea weed. Tons of chairs.
Locals - We were not looking forward to the weekend after all the reviews. We only saw maybe 2 families that could have been locals. Maybe we were lucky the week we were there, but they were not a problem.
Nightly Entertainment - It was pretty good. It starts everynight with the kids mini disco, then they give out awards from the different games from during the day. The shows were ok, a couple mostly involved audience participation. Our daughter loved them.
Casino - Was at the Bachatta. Maybe 20 slot machines, and about 4 or 5 tables.
Check out - Was fast and easy. Remember your $20 departure tax to be paid at the airport.
Overall, a good hotel. Would not be our first choice, but if the price is right we'd go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue