“Exceeded All Expectations, Amazing (Trip Advisor Member Bristol Uk)”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 12, 2006

Stayed at the Iberostar 2nd of June for two weeks, party of six adults . We had the most amazing time everything was perfect.

ROOMS

We emailed the hotel before departure to request adjoining rooms. We were allocated rooms with sea view and adjoining rooms.

The rooms were very clean, and bug free.

GROUNDS

Amazing, grounds which are kept in an immaculate condition, Marble floors, Fountains, Beautiful Exotic Plants, Flamingo’s, Peacocks, Turtles.

Pool is huge, we never had a problem in finding sun beds at any time of the day. Spent time many hours at the pool playing ball games and enjoying a good swim, working off those extra pounds. The pool is open 7am - 7pm.

Outdoor courtyard, lovely to sit out in the open air at night and still be able to hear and see the entertainment in the background.

In the two weeks we stayed at the Iberostar we never saw any food or empty glasses left on tables for more than a couple of minutes.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS

Could not fault the food, plenty to choose from. Roast carvery , Pasta, Salads, Fish, Pizza, Spicy dishes the list goes on and on, and all cooked to perfection. The only problem we found was choosing what to eat each evening as you had so much to choose from, we were spoilt for choice.

Speciality restaurants were good our personal favourite was the Tropical by the pool and the Mexican. Not to keen on the Brazilian..

Excellent service from the waiters, treated us like royalty, nothing was too much trouble.

BEACH

We didn’t know what to expect, as we had read negative reviews on trip advisor before hand. We were pleasantly surprised, yes there is seaweed, but nothing to moan about. Some people should remember it is the ocean.

Warm sea, Palm trees, very scenic, a nice sea breeze and you can walk for miles along the ocean front.. We swam and played ball games in the sea with no problems what so ever.

Again no problem in finding sun beds.

OTHER IBEROSTAR HOTELS IN THE DOM REP

We have stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana in Bavaro and the Iberostar Hacienda in La Roma It is very hard to choose between them each one has something special. One thing that is consistent is the cleanliness in each hotel and the staff will always go that extra mile to ensure you have a good holiday.

The Iberostar Costa Dorada is my personal favourite, my mum preferred the Iberostar Dominicana and the Iberostar Bavaro which is next door to the Domincana.

TRIPS

Highly recommend a trip to OCEAN WORLD fantastic day out. If your not planning to swim with the dolphins take swim wear to enjoy a swim in the tiger pool. It made our day, FANTASTIC

OVERALL

If you are considering the Iberostar Costa Dorada go on, book it. You will not be disappointed it is an AMAZING hotel.

The only fault I could find about this hotel is I could not find anything to moan about and my family will tell you I enjoy a good moan.

We had a wonderful holiday and one day we will return

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
60  Thank Kimbalina2
Write a ReviewReviews (7,610)

Reviewed September 11, 2006

Just a quick review to say we stayed here a few years ago for our honeymoon.

EXCELLENT! That is all there is to say! I believe the standards are still as high now as they were when it opened.

Iberostar is the best!

• Stayed: September 2002, traveled as a couple
11  Thank pinkpoochie
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I stayed at the Iberostar between the 12th June - 26th June 2006 and the only reason I haven't written a review here before today is because I felt that all the positive things said on this site just about covered everything and to simply repeat would be boring. However, having read the latest two reviews I feel so aggrieved that I have to put the record straight - not only do I think they are inaccurate, I feel they are positively untrue - certainly from my own experience. This place was wonderful and being someone who travels quite extensively I feel I must say that it is the only place in the last 20 years that I have even considered returning to (after all there are so many places to see in this world in a lifetime, why repeat?) I'm not going to say how marvellous the staff were (they were), I'm not going to wax lyrical about the buffet (It was) - I simply want to put the record straight, because after ready recent reviewed I cannot understand where these people stayed, it mustn't have been where I did!!!!!!!

25  Thank theworldsmyoyster
Reviewed September 8, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Iberostar , the last two weeks of August. We had an excellent time , the entertainments team are fantstic and give the resort a real buzz, from daytime fun to the evening shows even in the nightclub.
The buffet restaurant is good , the a la carte restuarants are excellent , and it is nice to be served. Although they say one visit per week to each , if they are quiet then you can go as many times as you like .
The pool was a disapointment , it could be quite dirty at times , this was one of my only complaints . Round the pool is red hot , and you need to be up early to get a sunbed in the shade . But there are plenty of sunbeds all round the resort. If you want to cool down there is always a nice breeze on the beach .
The drink is plentiful , if you tip the bar staff , a dollar every couple of times , you get exceptional service . Edwin , Melania and Kelvin are excellent at the lobby bar , and Juan at the beach bar is great also.
All the staff are friendly and they seem to want you and your family to have a great time . If you get chance to do a trip , there are plenty to do . My 11 year old son went scuba diving which was an amazing experience , and the dive team are very child friendly , with safety their number one priority, if you do this pay for the photos doing , for 45 dollars you get about fifty photos put on disc which is amazing .
We had a fantastic holiday , and would go back ,without a shadow of a doubt , but there are so many other places to go .

25  Thank SMITHS3
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I stayed in this hotel with my family, 2 adults and 2 children at the end of August 06. I would have to say that after reading all the glowing reviews we were very dissappointed.

I must clarify this review by stating that this was a CHEAP holiday, so admittedly you get what you pay for. The problem is that this hotel bills itself as a 5* establishment and if you're used to European or North American 5* you are in for a very unpleasant surprise.

We booked through The Holiday Place and our flight was with Monarch - premium. Was definately worth the little bit extra, although we didn't get all the benefits Monarch say are guaranteed!! Arrived at Hotel and they knew nothing of our interconnecting room request, we sat in bar for 2.5hours before they sorted it out... and were treated like trouble makers after politely requesting to move to a room with a view better than the next door hotels car park. The service on the front desk is disgusting, it's unbelieveable that they are the best front of house available. I also think some staff are crooked, as there was a pregnant woman on reception who repeatedly tried to short change us and tried to laugh it off. I felt this was something she was practised at.

Food is OK, Buffet average - gets very boring after a week. Brazilian and Tropical resturaunts were OK, Mexican pretty dire. Wine is appalling, all drinks very much quantity over quality.

The facilities are Good, the Pool is very busy and not massive for the size of hotel. The beach is nicer and quieter for some reason.

Did the Monster Trucks and Paradise island trips, wouldn't do either, really busy, full of Chavs and total rip off. Best thing we did was get a private guide from outside the Hotel to take us round Peurta Plata, which was decent. The country is a bit of a dump but it's cheap so what do you expect. Cheap cigars and rum.

Finally a note on all-inclusive (first and last time for us), It attracts certain 'larger-than-life' characters. The way people stacked up food on their plates when they could always return to get more was very amusing. we tipped (though service rarely warrants it), not many people did.

OVERVIEW
Basically, if you consider that a football shirt and matching Tattoo's is suitable dining attire, and a luke warm burger and chips (or 3 burgers!!!) and 10 glasses of cheap larger is your idea of a good time, get on the phone, this is the place for you!! otherwise AVOID! You'll be disappointed!!

17  Thank SuppelFamily
Reviewed September 1, 2006

This hotel was rated 5 stars, but it's actually a 3, maybe 3 1/2.

We were greeted with a cold (but super sweet) drink upon entering the hotel which was great after the TWO hour ride from Santiago. Unfortunately our rooms weren't ready so we had to sit for quite a while. If you're arriving before 3pm, you may want to consider paying for early check-in ($20 per person). We didn't know about that ahead of time and I'll be talking to my travel agent the first chance I get.

The rooms were just ok. You shouldn't be spending a great deal of time in the room anyway. However when it rains, like it did our first day there, the room is pretty much the only place to be. If you like a firm mattress, this isn't the place for you. There's not much of a view regardless of where your room is; the "balconies" are primarily for show and for hanging your wet garments.

Speaking of rain, bring cards or other "bored" games. The hotel relies on good weather. The pool tables (2) and ping pong table (1) aren't enclosed. There's an Internet connection fee of 130 pesos (a little more than $4 U.S.) for 30 mins.

And with the rain comes...Mosquitoes! Bring plenty of repellent and itch medicine. They WILL get into your room annoy you by the pool and will feast on you every chance they get.

Ah, the pool! It's large, the temperature was great on those hot days, but it is dirty. I've seen them clean it at night, but you'll end up swimming with feathers, droppings, hairs, etc by 10am. I don't know what they can do about this. Men are scrubbing the sides of the pool or using nets to remove the debris all day - but it's still a bit gross.

All the shops take US currency except for the gift/food/toiletries shop which only takes pesos or credit cards

The food was also just ok. There was a variety, but it was the SAME variety each and every day. We were there for a week and got bored after the 4th day, so I can't imagine people who go on holiday for 2 weeks not venturing off the property to find someplace else to eat. We did try the Mexican and Brazillian specialty restaurants which were good. Men you MUST wear long pants and short sleeved shirts even to the evening buffet restaurant. "Dress" sandals are fine - no flip flops though.

What makes this hotel...What pushes it up to 3 1/2 stars...is the STAFF! They are simply the best. Friendly, hard working always an "Hola" and a laugh. After riding through parts of the country that would've broken my spirit, I admire the Dominican people for their strength, sense of familia and quick smiles. I have never met a nicer bunch of people who more than made up for some of the guests who've obviously never met "morenos" before (you people need to get out more so you can stare less). A special shout-out to Scooby, who will keep you in stitches and Reyna, who will make sure you never go without.

We will go back to the Dominican Republic because of the people, but we won't go back to the Iberostar.

10  Thank Tracee
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Stayed at this hotel which was 15 mins from the airport from the 16th - 30th August; two adults and a 6 year old.

We had room 3215 (third floor overlooking the pool). Room very clean; king size and sofa bed. Maid service and towel change every day . If you leave a tip - you will make sure your room is cleaned promptly. The first day ours wasn't ready until after 3pm. Once we left a tip, it was cleaned before 11am each day! The only downside for us was that when 'route 66' kicked out at 2am some of the youngsters liked to end up in the pool for a swim, and they weren't quiet about it (boy, do I feel old now!)... this happened about 5 times, security evenutally cleared them away, but it did wake us up.

The hotel reception has a bar to the left of the entrance, colonial style decor, and Route 66 (small niteclub) is also at the reception area of the hotel (away from the rooms so less noise!). Kids can play in the club until 11pm, when it becomes a venue for over 16's.

Also at reception is a little pool with turtles and another water feature with flamingo's... very beautiful (although at night the mozzies are more apparent in these areas).

There is a good size 'theatre' for the evening entertainment, which is actually quite good... The evening shows are advertised by the main restaurant so you know whats on. The animation team called 'star friends' is very good. They organise events all through the day such as tennis, archery, football, water polo. If you are by the pool at about 10am, they will hand you a daily event sheet and then they come round the pool to try and rope you in to activities, but they are not pushy about it!

Also, if you have kids and you send them to the kids club (we didn't use this, so can't rate it) they can be part of some of the shows... they rehearse the show at kids club and on stage with the animation team during the day and then they perform at night.. whilst we were there they did mini versions of 'Lion King and Snow White and Grease, which was brilliant!

The pool area is huge, there is one big pool (no swim up bar - shame!) with a jacuzzi in the middle and a water polo net down one end with some basket ball hoops. The towel hut is by the pool and you gather your towels and sun lounger pads from there (8am-6pm). There are palm parasols around the pool, which provide great shade. There is also a book exchange by the towel hut and some games you can loan. There is a tiny round kids pool (but very little shade around it) located by the pool restaurant and there is also a 'giant' chess board and table tennis area by the kids pool. The photographer comes around the pool daily with Iguana's, parrots, monkeys etc for kids to have their photo, and then they are displayed & sold at one of the shops at $6.99 if you want them - but they don't pressure you to take your photo or to purchase it.

The 'pool' restaurant serves the same food most days, chicken chips, pizza, sandwiches, salad, hot dogs, nachos and popcorn, but on some days (wednesdays) there is a BBQ and fresh coconuts filled with 'coco loco' and on Tuesdays there is a beach lunch where they do lobster and seafood paella and move a make shift bar to the beach. The main restaurant 'El Mercado' serves different stuff daily and the menu's are placed on the Board outside...

The food is ok.. the quality was good, but it became a bit repetitive and over cooked (presumably to ensure against any tummy bugs). there was something for everyone though.. The breakfast was great (waffles, pancakes, omlettes, continental, cheeses, and fab fresh fruit!). You can help yourself to self serve drinks, coffee and icecreams (at the pool restaurant and the main one). The food at the Mexican and Brazilian was fantastic - you need to book at guest services in reception between 9 and 12 - but we never had to queue, so it was really easy to book. the pool restaurant become the 'Tropical restuarant' in the evening and does more fish dishes, but there are a few meat options too.

Cocktail Drinks are mostly made up of slush-puppy type pre mixes with rum added to the glass. So the kids can have them too but you just need to say 'no rum' when you order it! or as I said they can self serve at the machines in the pool restuarant. Icecream is available from 12 noon and popcorn from 4pm!

The beach was fantastic, cleaned daily. the seaweed did wash up in the afternoon as it was quite a lot breezier in the afternoons, but it was raked up and cleared to make a really clean beach. There was a PADI dive centre on site, scuba trials in the pool and you could snorkel straight off the beach as there was a little reef with fish (visibility was sometimes poor because of the breeze churning up the sand)... best to go in the mornings when it was a lot calmer.

There are some 'vendors' on the beach and they try to entice you up to some huts on the left hand side of the bay...where they sell 'excursions' and do hair braiding etc (I paid $25 for a full head of shoulder length hair which wasn't bad) - you need to barter, they came down from $60.. Again if you say 'No', they don't hassle you as there is security on the beach too.

There is work going on out to sea, where they are building a break water to stop the erosion of sand and they plan to eventually bring in white sand from the other side of the island , this means that there is a JCB that periodically transports stuff via the beach, but it wasn't a problem and didn't spoil the experience at all.

There are 4 shops on site, one for jewellry, one for the photo's, one for clothes and "Iberostar' branded stuff, and the souvenir shop selling chocolates, newspapers, lilo's etc. This shop only accepts PESO's, so you may want to take some.

There is a spa (jacuzzi; hair and makeup), internet room and Doctors on site.. the gym isn't air conditioned but is a decent size and has ceiling fans. (we didn;t use these much); the gym is closed from 12 - 2 ans was quite busy before breakfast... There is a 'pricelist for the spa, that you can pick up.. the spa is by the 'Mercado' main restaurant.

Take lots of high factor sunscreen and some mozzie stuff (i only got bitten twice, husband 6 times on two occasions though). You don't actually see many flies or mozzies at all, and the food was fly free too which was great !

Oh and we took $1 US dollas bills and tipped $2 a time for most things like waitress service, you don't have to, but its a good investment.

There is failry good duty free at the Dom Rep airport going home, its not a bad little airport actually - one of the better caribbean ones we'd say! Although the small bottles of rum were marginally cheaper at the hotel (128 pesos versus $5 US at the airport)

That's about it... we had a fab time, lots of Brits, Spanish, New Yorkers and Belgians.. really nice people.. and we will definatly book an Iberostar again, as the quality, service, friendliness, cleanliness and surroundings couldn't be beaten!

45  Thank jacobsyummymummy