My wife and I just returned two days ago from a week-long honeymoon trip to iberostar costa dorada. All in all we had a very nice time. I will begin with the many positive aspects of the trip.
Firstly, the accomodations were nice in that the room was nice and clean. Our room did not have any real view (back roads behind hotel) so I mentioned this to the staff. After initially informing me that an ocean view room would be available two nights later, they then offered a pool view room for the following night. It was absolutely beautiful with views of the mountain behind the pool in the distance. The staff was excellent all around especially Santo and Guillermo at guest services.
The shows are hit and miss with some (lion king especially) definately worth seeing. The Star Friends entertainment troupe is so earnest and honest in their efforts that even when they occasionally fall short it is still charming.
Just a seven dollar cab ride (for 2) away is the American Casino at the Jack Tar resort. While the casino is small by American standards, it is charming and the serious player can definately attempt a win at this casino. The dealer play is sloppy (I was able to view three improperly dealt cards by the dealer in two hours at the Blackjack table. This is unacceptable in Vegas or A.C.) I left up both nights I went and My wife even left u8p at slots. I hit 200 coins three times within a half hour of play at one point. The second night we went to the american casino they arranged a free cab which was nice. One note about the casino is they DONT HAVE AN ATM? When I mentioned this to the pit boss he unexpectedly offered me a line of credit as long as I had a license or passport. This was nice. I have never been to a casino in the us or abroad without an atm.
1.Try the pool buffet breakfast -it is often better than the regular buffet.
2. Don't buy anything from the guy blowing glass in the lobby - they break on light light contact - I bought something for 27.50 American and it broke shortly after with normal use. When I asked to speak to the guy who sold it to me Santo told me he is here once a week. I told him there was a reason for that and the next day there was 30 american dollars at the desk for me - they were excellent in being accomodating.
3. Bring a lot of suntan lotion and aloe - it is 16-20 american dollars in the gift shop.
4. Ask for something if you are unhappy.
5. Check out Punta Rusia - it is an island in tyhe middle of the ocean on the caribbean side of the island and the snorkeling there is cool - it was about 80 dollars a person for a 10 hour trip (it is a long day).
One final note. The only few complaints I have seen on the site tend to be from other New Yorkers like me. They say it is not a five-star resort and they are right in that by American standards it is a three or four star resort. The five ranking is based on a ranking by the dominican tourism board. I have been to five star resorts in the states and while the surroundings warrant a five all other accomodations are about a 3 or 4. However, how can you expect any more when you are paying (after air fair) less than 100 amer dollars a day with food included lol. It is definately a great hotel and I was consistently impressed by the all around value of the trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata