Iberostar Costa Dorada
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)
Apartementos Karibic(Puerto Plata)
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
7,752 results
All reviewsstar friendsthe lion kingpepsi colaorchid gardenlobby barpaellamain buffetbrazilian restaurantjustin bieberentertainment teamdominican republiclobstera la carte restaurantsemailed the hotelkids clubtwo weeksparadise island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Hola!
My husband and I just returned home from the Costa Dorada. We had a wonderful time. The weather was excellent considering the fact that Hurrican Dennis just blew by.

The pics that are posted on sites of the resort do not do it justice. However my husband took some fantastic pics which we will post.

The food was great considering that this is an all inclusive. There was plenty of fresh fruits, juices and vegetables at the buffet at all times. There were also 3 specialty restaurants; Brazilian, Mexican and Tropical. We ate at all 3 but really enjoyed the Mexican. All were air conditioned and served buffet appetizers and desserts. We advise taking an antacid prior to eating, as we got ill the second night, after that, we had no tummy troubles.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. A tip of a dollar or two here and there to our waiters, bartenders and maids, really goes a long way and is truly appreciated although not expected (since their pay wages are very low).

The beach was nice but very windy and the ocean was not as clear as some in the Carribean, however many people enjoyed the beach, just be careful not to get burned since you might not feel the intense heat of the sun. There are mosquitoes so bring spray. They are much smaller than the ones you get in the States, and you don't even know they get you until it's too late. We were also told that by taking Vitamin B complex keeps them at bay.

The pool is marvelous, always clean and refreshing, not too cold just right. It is so large that no matter how many people are swimming, there is lots of room and you can float on rafts. I suggest bringing a hot/cold cup so that your drinks stay cold by the pool. There is no need to bring beach towels since there are plenty and you may exchange wet ones for dry ones throughout the day. We had lovely lounges under palm huts, but make sure to get out by 8 or 9 am to ensure a spot under the huts, you'll need some shade during your first few days.

The evening shows put on by the Star Friends was entertaining albeit dated. Which probably explains why we were in bed by 9! The night time skies are breathtaking as you will see in the photos my husband took He suggests avoid using flash try using the natural lighting with a long exposure setting to get the best pix. Make sure you support the camera to keep it steady as not to blur the photo.

Our room was in bldg 7 overlooking the pool, it was a perfect position, nice and quiet yet close to everything. There was a hair dryer and I brought my straightening iron which uses the same voltage as the States. I would advise bringing a travel iron too. I did borough one from the hotel however there was a 2 hr time period in which to use and return. The shower was good and hot and plenty of pressure. There was a small fridge which was stocked with water, beer and sodas all free.

We did go to Puerto Plata for a half day, we stopped at some shops and a Rum Factory, Amber Museum and Fort. Just do not take a pic of the man with the Donkey unless you are prepared to pay! We did not go to the Jeep Safari or Ocean World, but we heard they were fun.

We went as a couple but many brought children who seemed to have a great time. I would recommend this resort to all; young and old alike.

We will definitely come back to the D.R. but perhaps visit Punta Cana next time. The country is beautiful with huge mountains and torquoise seas. The Dominicans are very charming and go out of their way to help you, just be sure to smile and make sure to take your digital camera!
Amy and Chris

26  Thank zackzack
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 16, 2005

We stayed at the Iberostar for one week and arrived home July 15th. We have two children ages eight and ten. We took an American Airlines flight from Philadelphia to Miami. Our connecting flight was cancelled so we had to rebook our tickets when we arrived in Miami. Our travel agent was on the phone with us rearranging our transportation from the airport to the hotel and giving us advice on our options. We could either stay at a hotel in Miami that night and fly into Peurta Plata the next day or fly into Santo Domingo that evening. We choose to fly that evening and we were given vouchers to eat dinner at the airport. The airline did upgrade our seats to first class which was nice. We arrived at Santo Domingo around midnight.We had four bags of luggage that were checked in at the Philly airport but only two of them arrived in Santo Domingo. This was probably because the airline kept changing our boarding gate prior to departure.

The American Airlines agent escorted us to our taxi.The taxi ride was nearly four hours long. We arrived at the hotel around 4:00 in the morning. The hotel was beautiful. Even though we were tired and kind of frustrated with the travel delays and lost baggage the beauty of the hotel was well worth the travel time. Once we checked in they loaded our luggage into a golf cart and we were driven to our room. We had originally booked a garden view but our travel agent notified the hotel in advance of our travel troubles and we were given an ocean view room that was steps away from the pool. That was a great surprise!

My advice is that you carry on as many of your belongings as possible. Especially bathing suits and shorts. We had to purchase flip flops for the kids because they wore sneakers to the airport and the rest of their shoes were in the lost bags.We paid more than $20.00 for two pairs of flip flops that would've cost us $2.00 at home. The airline is reimbursing us for these expenses. The hotel lobby gift shop was really expensive for clothing items. Also carry a battery operated alarm clock because the electricity in the room seems to be activated by motion. We had to reset the clock everytime we went in and out of the room because we didn't use batteries. Our lost luggage arrived at the hotel three days after we checked in.The good thing is that nothing was missing even though we had not locked our bags.

My kids loved Mama Maria and the other coordinator of the kids club. They had wonderful activities and won prizes for games. They got to participate in the nightly shows and dance on stage with the other kids. At 7:00 each evening Mama Maria takes the kids to dinner at the buffet.The kids can also have dinner with you then join the kids club at the mini disco or onstage.My daughter had a birthday while we we there and they serenaded her with happy birthday in perfect English at the restaurant by the beach.She absolutely loved this!

The buffet was great and so were the specialty restaurants. Reservations were easy to make.We went on the outback safari tour. I recommend water shoes for this one. My husband went on the atv or what they call funny bikes bikes and had a great time. Sneakers work well for that one. He purchased a dvd of his ride for a small price. The pool was amazing at this hotel and we spent a lot of our days there. The beach was also nice. All inclusive is absolutely the way to go if you have kids. We did leave small tips and it seemed like they pampered us even more. We met other people from Philadelphia,Australia,Ireland, New York and the UK. Everyone was nice. We can't wait to visit other Iberostar resorts throughout the world.

• Stayed: July 2005
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2005

I stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada hotel in the Dominican Republic in June this year and it was a treat for my birthday which I had just turned 31!
I can say that it was a brilliant holiday and one to remember.

Firstly we was greated by the hotel bell man with a glass of fruit cocktail which had not a lot of alcohol in it. We then had our baggage personally taken to our rooms in minutes of arriving. We had a quick check in and all keys for towels and the room given without delay. The interior of the reception was all marble flooring and with 2 ponds one with flamingo's in and one with turtles in which was amazing to see! When I arrived in my room it was amazing a nice balcony facing the forest and with a big double bed and a fancy towel made into a swan with rose petals everywhere. The bathroom was huge and it had a mini bar in the room with staelite t.v.

This was going to be a good hotel for our vacation and being a 4 star plus hotel well you could have called it a 6 star as it was immacuately clean and tidy and you were treated like royalty although American people were served first as they were considered to be the ones with the most money.

The entertainment,meals and pool with its own jacuzzi in the centre and the beach was superb. Allthough the beaches sand was brownish colour and the water not visible to see the bottom of it, I had a fantastic time at the hotel.

On the excursion side I enjoyed the horse riding and most of all the helicopter ride which although was £90.00 roughly for 30 minutes was the best experience of my life and well worth it! The place its self was very expensive but worth visiting once. I went also to Santo Domingo the capital and although it was a good day out be aware that if you go there it is very very hot,humid the coach is small and clostrophobicly hot and you have to have a guide and go were they want to take you and there are alot of beggers about but don't be put of by that as to really enjoy this holiday experience you have to do it the dominican style by trying every trip going and try every thing on the menu at your restaurant from Lobster to Filet Minion. It really is a truly unforgettable experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.! Try it I can guarantee you will enjoy your stay and enjoy the Iberostar Costa Dorada!!!!!!!!

24  Thank NOBLE1
New Jersey
Reviewed July 13, 2005

My family and I just returned from a fun week at the Costa Dorado. We traveled with 2 other families and we had a great time.
I have been reading reviews for the hotel for months before we left, so I felt comfortable about the hotel. I am not really into "all inclusives" but it was refreshing not having to walk around with money all the time.
The rooms were a bit small, but very clean the maid service every day was great. Way too many mosquitos, we were bit almost every night. They get in the room and after it rains is when it is most apparent.
Food was good, but because it is very hot and the main buffet is not air conditioned, some of the food looked gross. The cheeses were melting and so was the ice cream!
The shows were the pits. Very boring and they didn't even start until almost 10:00 pm. Try keeping 9 kids interested while you wait for the shows to start.
I wish someone had mentioned the electrical outlets in the rooms...we couldn't use most of our things (even with the converter they SELL you there)
Beach was nice but the ocean had way too much seaweed. I am a "beach bum" so this was very disappointing. I had to spend some time at the pool which was nice, but I don't fly 4 hours to go to a pool!
I would definitely stay at another Iberostar hotel, but not here. Maybe Punta Cana or Mexico.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Isle of Wight, England
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Stayed for 2 weeks in June 2005 with First Choice B767 on Premier Class (highly recommended & the 9 hours was most comfortable both ways) Ex Gatwick, with Priority Baggage (last on-first off). Transfers excellent & fruit drinks on arrival at Hotel. Room spotless, air con working with variable speeds of fan, and ceiling fan improves air flow.

Guests Service in Lobby good for reservations at "a la carte" restaurants. Quality extremely high except for Brazillian where skewers are carried around with various unknown meats being serially spread around the tables.

Other restaurants exceptionally high standards. You can "dress up" with long trousers, but some Brits let the ambience down wearing old jeans. Note the red wine can be terrible but the Spanish with bright red and white label is very good. Waiters are exceptionally attentive and plenty of staff around the Hotel.

The Mercado restaurant is the buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner with varied menus. The bowls of "mousse" tend to be made of sugar free angel white topping, with fresh fruit etc added. One can put on serious weight with their postres.

Speaking Spanish was welcomed by all staff and we received extra attention. Most Brits and Canadians/Americans could not speak Spanish, which was dissappointing.

The main road to the nearby commercial centre was a struggle in the high temperatures (32 C) and high humidity. It was better to walk and taxi back. Hemingway's bar/grill is a must with old charm, excellent air con and reasonable prices. In town visit the "Ponda Rosa" restaurant where live Lobsters can be selected. Mains power went off, but their generator was quick in restoring supply.

Hotel swimming pool gigantic, but water activities tent to frequently take over. Nearby open air restaurant good for diy ice cream cornets.
Evening entertainment, as others have said, is up to best of London Shows, but avoid the "Friends" diy entertainment. Visit the local 3-screen cinema at the nearby comercial centre. English spoken films with Spanish subtitles. 3 screens of 150 seats each. Saw 2 films amazing at 200 pesos.

Excursions -- Take a taxi to cable car. Excellent views but see in morning as afternoon mountain top cloud arrives. Visit Santo Domingo (capital) long 3 hours there and 3 hours back by sub miniature coach (squashed and most uncomfortable). City hardly beautiful with car wreckers/spares outfits everywhere. But some fine areas with a Carre Four supermerket seen.

Historical buildings and streets are fine but beware "guides" who are after your money.

Local purchases VERY expensive on Island, with prices around 4 times normal UK prices.

Local 30 minutes helicopter trip a must as the Jungle Safari. On this trip or the Norther Highlights, a swim in a fast flowing river takes place. The currents are very strong and the river sides and bed are large stoned. Some knee injuries were seen, when they attempted to swim as the depth was only about 3 feet.

Hotel laundry high quality but twice did not arrive on time. Internet cafe useful on broadband, but some Brit kids had hacked into one computer and bypassed the password ticket system, and stayed all day and night with free access.

Evening entertainment near the stage, with some strobe lighting has a good curtain system, that means you can get good views at the sides. With shows starting at 9:30, best to bag a seat around 8, so restaurant bookings should be early.

Overall a superb hotel, beach good, always with safe winds towards the shore and yellow flag waving. Mechanical decoration superb with no damage to walls or surfaces everywhere. Gardens are superbly kept, with gardeners everywhere. You can even get a 20$ haircut in the Spa building.

Recomended absolutely, but avoid the summer as the heat is terrible. Winter time is apparently pleasant at mid 20's C.

Take a digital camera with plenty of memory. No mosquitos anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2005