“Ok stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Marapica
“Ok stay”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

It's a nice place to stay just need a little bit more entertainment
But overall we had a good time
And we had a problem with the quietness the employees made a lot of noise in the morning not considering people sleeping

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

1 Thank Virginia R
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
On behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, and the whole team, we thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holidays and for posting a review on Tripadvisor.
On the one hand, we appreciate your motivating comments referring the beauty of our hotel premises. In IBEROSTAR we are committed to provide an excellent service to our “stars” whilst on vacation. Likewise, we extend our apologies for all and any inconveniences and reassure you that we have shared your comments with the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate our performance.
We are looking forward to see you again and remain at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit.
Kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

5 of us stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada at the end of May for two weeks. Mix of family and friends. 26-44.
Airport pleasant and hassle free. Hotel is about 15 minutes away from airport. Upon arrival, the hotel gave you a refreshing drink whilst you were booking in. It took about 20 minutes as it was quite busy with new arrivals, but all staff at reception helped book everyone in. Again this was hassle free and the booking in wait really wasn't that long.
Our room was 7006. It was on the ground floor. Perfect location if you ask me. To our left from the front door is towards the gym/sauna and the pool. Walk through the next block and you are at the main dinner hall. To our right you have the other end of the pool and the pool dinner hall. If you walked through to the next block to the right I think this block was actually the "beach view rooms". Our room was not on the pool side therefore we didn't hear no noise, apart from the beautiful peacock every now and then but everyone heard him. :) I have nothing bad to say about the rooms, (we saw 3 different rooms in different blocks due to where other people we went with were staying) I've read a lot reviews and people say the rooms are out-dated..personally I think it fits in with where you are. It's neutral, clean and airy. The shower head could do with replacing along with a few tiles could do with tidying up but it was clean. The only problem we had was I turned air con off then when I turned it back on it wouldn't come on. This was fixed in 20 minutes. We saw the maid a few times and they even replace the mats everyday in your room! Which personally I don't think is necessary. This hotel work soo hard! Everyone is constantly working! Every few days the fountains were drained and scrubbed out and re-filled. The gardens were always been taken care off, there was a guy constantly keeping the pool clean and another guy always cleaning all the flooring in the hotel. The best people are the entertainment team- mainly tequila, hula-hula, Pepsi cola and chocolate. These guys are amazing and brilliant and funny! Talk to them and join in with the banter! Good with adults as well as children. Always working and trying to entertain us and they do a really good job. There's activities from 10-4.30 every day on the hour. The evening entertainment starts at half 9, our first week the shows were brilliant- they done Michael Jackson and lion king and mr Iberostar and acted some songs from movie classics like titanic and grease etc. brilliant and funny, this is the entertainment team... The second week was mainly the "professional dancing team" which they are amazing dancers, all the Dominicans are amazing dancers however after watching two of the professional dancing shows you've seen it all. But we had great company so it didn't really bother us. Vicky the Thompson rep is lovely, knowledgable and helpful and highly rated! She's usually always around. Anything you need or want to ask go talk to her. They have a on the hotel photographer- let them take photos of you. You don't need to pay anything unless u want to buy them- which u go look at them later on in the photo shop. They don't try and make you buy them at all so u don't feel pressured. And it's like 12 dollars or so.
If you haven't been to the Dominican before, you need to visit the club. Its on the resort just behind main lobby bar. It's open from 11pm-2am. Wow, what an experience! Our mouths just dropped at how different the clubbing scene is! Plenty of food choice and I'm the worlds most fussy eater but I ate well...we didn't enjoy the al a carte restaurants. But that's only because of our preferred taste. Still though we had a funny experience trying it out. Drinks are good, the swim up bar drinks tasted the weakest but a few more steps and you have another two bars to get a drink from. Cups are big enough, unless you want to bring your own and look silly walking around because the cups they have are not big enough although your own brought cups fit an extra quarter in, seriously no need. Don't bother wasting your time trying to work in the Dominican peso if your familiar with US dollar as everywhere accepts US dollar and a few places had to try and work out the price in peso- we only took peso and there was no problem using it but they easily accept US dollar. Guys on the beach try to sell you excursions if your not interested say no thank you and they will leave you alone, if you say maybe later they will find you and they will pester you. We booked our excursions at the hotel. (Vicky does a welcome meeting when u arrive which u def should go to!) I'm not sure if many people are aware but next to the gym is the spa inside the spa is the sauna and the jacuzzis a hot one and a cold one- these never got busy so I only imagine not many people knew they were free but it's amazing to be laying in the hot jacuzzi outside when it's raining.we had 2 days of rain when we got there :( Our experience was extra special as we had a few birthdays to celebrate and a few wedding anniversaries. We got birthday causes. We got fruit plate and bottle of rum. We got bottle of fizz in an ice bucket. We got iberostar honeymoon t-shirts. We got spoilt..... And at no extra cost and we did not request it. We done several excursions: outback safari, ocean world and paradise island. The best by far was ocean world!! Highly recommended. Outback safari was brilliant too. We were disappointed with paradise island ( they tell you it's and hour and half to get there, we got picked up at 8, went around the collect other people from other hotels. By the time we collected everyone it was 9am then he said ok it's an hour and half to get there so two and half hours drive then 20 minutes on the speed boat to spend about an hour and half on the island which was beautiful and I did feed the fish with banana in the sea and it was amazing! But the travelling was not worth it. Or the price. The mangroves literally u don't go through them.you pull up next to them for about ten minutes.... If you do go on this trip and your lucky enough to be near the mangroves have a look for the bright orange and red crabs hidden inside! I don't think it's a wise excursion if you have children. Also be careful with the fruit- I was happily sitting on the sand eating some mango when I looked down and saw I was eating a maggot filled mango :(..... I didn't get ill though. Infact no one was ill whilst we were away.
We also ventured out into puerto plata town where Vicky the rep recommended a restaurant we tried. It's called Marie's I think. and it is well and truly outstanding. Amazing passion fruit dakaris. Highly recommend this place, please visit! We had steak and if you want chips ask for chips as they are not on the menu. If you want somewhere out of the hotel and a little intimate and romantic visit! Also it's a bit of culture to experience/ see.
The hotels have there own insured taxis and the drivers wait for you and you pay when you arrive back at the hotel.
On certain nights at the hotel they have people come in selling there products like canvas and glass ornaments and mama juana (you can buy this in the shop for a fraction of the price which we found out afterwards) they take the mick with there prices though and they all seem to work by giving you a total price after you have decided all that you want.. Which is pretty irritating. We also visited the shacks to the right of the beach, got well and truly ripped off a pair of flip flops that they blatantly found on the beach and as soon as my husband put them on they fell apart. It was funny though.
There's also a magic stand that come to the hotel a few nights a week. Father and son. We started talking to them. Be warned Steve, the father can talk and talk and talk a lot more... However we found out he runs/owns restaurant in Sousa called sinatras. It's about 20-30minute taxi ride. It's a bit like tgi Fridays and on weds and fri it's buy one meal get one free...apparently massive steaks and always live singer etc well after all his talk we had to go check out this place. We went on a Wednesday, was so impressed we were back there on Friday! It was soo tasty and beautiful and flavourable. Another place I highly rate. On the Friday we actually got another 8 people we met at the hotel to come join us. The guy who sings here is actually the same guy that the iberostar hire to perform every couple of days.
Everyone we have spoken to say this hotel is the best in puerto plata and is the only hotel around there that has kept up to its standards. And having seen a few other hotels in the area... We have to agree. We didn't have the four poster beds on the beach like the other hotels but you soon realise that it's for show and actually they had hardly any guests.
Beach is a little sea weedy but it is raked daily. Personally I loved the beach. Few times I went down and sunbathed alone. No hassle. Felt safe. Best tip- beach is best in the morning then after lunch goto the pool as beach gets windy in the afternoon unless you don't mind the wind, I loved laying there with the heat hitting my body and feeling the fresh breeze. Weekends they do BBQ on beach and huge paella on the beach.
We met loads of people at the hotel, so we had a great time with a mixture of different people. You make your own holiday. If you join in you will have fun. Everyone we met were friendly.
We spoke to a older couple staying at the same hotel who done nothing but complain about it, he said the bathroom door didn't close properly and his wife likes the bathroom door locked and he moaned about how the hotel fixed it. He said he called reception and they came out. Two of them sanded down the door. That didn't help. Then they replaced the hinges. That didn't help. Then they replaced the door.... He was complaining that it took two of them to do this and took a few hours before it was sorted, I just walked away from him because i could not believe he could not see that they got two people on the job probably to fix it quicker and the fact that they were straight there sanding down the door and replacing parts.... Thats just negative that really was uncalled for. I see it as they had a problem with a door and the hotel fixed it and done everything they could and as quickly as they could. But this same guy ordered premier seats on the flight and moaned about that too.......
Lastly the only thing that I did not like about the hotel is that on weekends the locals come to the hotel.... And there's a lot of them and they are loud and they are messy and they leave all there empty cups everywhere!!! We actually only experienced this on the last Saturday before heading home. So thankfully it didn't ruin our holiday. And to remember these locals that have come here for the weekend are the ones with money as they are still charged like 200dollars a night pp so they don't just open the doors and let anyone in. But they are loud and they do seem to takeover.

Although we loved this hotel, if you are not planning on doing any excursions or going out I think a week in the hotel is enough.

I would recommend this hotel and will return in the future. Next year we are going to punta Cana too see the other side of the island-the Caribbean side.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
15 Thank MrsTMJ
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here several times and have enjoyed each and every visit. This visit we discovered that the local Rum offered at your resort is only offered at the lobby bar. As it is a local Rum we would have thought it would have been at all your bars. But no big deal. TV didn't work when we first arrived, I called the front desk and was told someone would be there soon to take a look. After some time had passed I took a look at the TV and discovered it was not plugged in to the wall outlet. Once connected it was fine. We decided to leave the room and discovered a note attached to our door asking us to fill out a form to describe the problem. I found this a little odd as I was told some one would be there to take a look at it, not drop a note off. Again no big deal. The next day the TV only had audio and no video, called the front desk and within minutes a technician arrived and replaced the entire TV. WONDERFUL Thank you for such a wonderful resort. We love it and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: We have stayed there many times and never disappointed in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank drbutch
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

would recommend this hotel to anyone! my wife and I had a fantastic holiday, the staff are terrific, very friendly, polite and good fun. buffet food is good and the a la carte restaurants are excellent, entertainment is good, something for everyone. excursions are worth going on to see some of the island, loved Ocean World and the Truck Safari in particular was brilliant.
as other people have said, the rooms could maybe do with updating, a lick of paint wouldn't go amiss! having said that it's nit picking and if you're thinking of going here DON'T MISS OUT!
We're sure you will love this place and the people as much as we did, we are definitely going back, SOON!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

3 Thank David John W
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Had a absolutely amazing week here in January. Lovely location, plenty to see/do. Hotel was clean/comfortable and food was very, very good especially as there was a lot of vegetarian choice. Beach was lovely and we we're not bothered by people selling things too much. Pool was fantastic and always found somewhere to relax. Really nice temperature during the day and cooler at night so sleeping was not a problem.Take a book, grab a cocktail and relax!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, away from the entertainment.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gray22681
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My family and I stayed in Iberostar for 10 nights. It was a nice resort :)
#1 staff were friendly and welcoming
#2 room was decent. Could be updated but they are fine. In our shower there was some rust but it didn't bother us and the bed was more on the firmer side.
#3 The room attendants did an awesome job cleaning the rooms and surprising us with unique towel designs
#4 Food was delicious.
#5 The pool was huge. In my opinion they could maybe do a better job in cleaning it as I always seemed to have found sand on the bottom and stuff floating around but do I remind you it is a big pool.
#6The live shows are awesome. The lion king being one of their shows I thoroughly enjoyed that and so did my son.
#7 The beach is nice however one thing that is annoying is how there is always people on the beach trying to harass you and buy stuff constantly. Me and my partner had to avoid the beach a few times cause you can't enjoy a second without someone coming up to you asking you to buy this and that.
#8 I didn't like how they allowed locals to set up there tables and sell souvenir stuff...such as like hand made stuff...jewelry. The one guy we were talking to was persuading us to buy stuff so we collected a few small things..like a mask and some pieces of jewellery and he wanted 700$ like totally a rip off. It was actually insulting. My husband mentioned it to the front desk. They really shouldn't allow people in the resort like that robbing from tourists like that. So awful. Not only that but those men are soooo pushy. BeWare! I didn't mind the one table that had glass art set up. They were not pushy at all.
#9 all in all it was a decent stay I'd give it a 7/10 31/2 star - 4 ps it was pretty busy when we went there lots of people.
#10 Would I go back? That I don't know. Lol. Perhaps if the opportunity arised again. It is also an affordable resort....all inclusive. It is worth your $

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Rachel D
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Nice big hotel with huge pool, pool closes at 7 pm but it's nice, the hot tub in the center other pool is cold and if u want hot water they have private hot tubs in the gym area, lots of walking, beautiful resort with mountains in the back, plenty of drinks, decent food nice hotel but wouldn't go there again

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
#11 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!