“good place, great people!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Georgina, Canada
“good place, great people!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Great place, you walk in to the lobby/court with palm trees flamingos and peacocks everywhere. The service is great someone always willing to help you out. It gets a little busy at the bar sometimes, but be patient everyone gets served, tipping helps too. Rooms were nice, cleaned everyday with a towel swan and two good chocolates left waiting for you. The food was amazing great selection, good smoothies, and the beach bbq was the best. But the best part of the trip for us was the entertainment, there was a great show put on every night, most of them dance musical shows my favourite was the micheal jackson show, the mrs. favourite was boogie nights. They also had little comedy skits and award shows including the guests before "THE BIG SHOW". The star friends (staff who run games, workouts, events,day shows) were the best, just to name a few we meet hulu-hulu was hilarious, pepsi-cola seriously funny and good volleyball player too, chocolate and pinky. We tried the catamaran excursion, it was a wavy day so we didn't get to snorkel in the good spot we think, but we still snorkeled with the fish and saw a small piece of coral which was amazing. I would recommend this excursion, but maybe pick a nice day to do more snorkeling. Go you'll enjoy it!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caitlin M
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear guest
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holiday and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
We are very pleased to read that your holiday among us was memorable due to the friendliness of our staff especially by our entertainers: our Star Friend team. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests through the friendliness of our staff members. We have congratulated Hulu Hulu, Pepsi Cola, Chocolate and Pinky for helping us to accomplish our goal during your visit.
We are already willing to welcome you back; please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
With regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This resort was a great place for us. All inclusive is good, the drinks are good and rooms were all right. We loved the cookout beach party! The bathroom was clean and comfortable, though nothing special. Good pool and very nice beach, though it tends to get windy in the afternoons. Very well kept grounds, too - see the orchid garden!

The food was nice - breakfast included eggs and omelettes cooked individually, and we found something we enjoyed both at lunch and dinnertime buffets. We had no problems getting reservations for the Mexican and Brazilian restaurant (our favorite was the Brazilian). The caramel ice cream found some evenings at the dessert table was to die for!

We thoroughly enjoyed the massages at the spa. I would recommend Angela José as a very skilled and very nice massage therapist - I went back for seconds and thirds and would have become a regular customer had we been locals. The gym was pretty good, too.

You will need to get up early to grab poolside loungers, but we never had problems finding places at the beach. Entertainment in the evenings was okay, but nothing special. The staff was friendly and service was good - our only real complaint is that we never got a new hairdryer even though we reported that the one in the room was broken on the first day. And we got a room facing the service area for the neighboring resort, which meant we were disturbed quite late in the evenings and early in the mornings by noise from traffic and people working.

Still - I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to experience the Puerto Plata region.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ingeborgv
Dear guest,
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your first holidays in Puerto Plata and for posting a review about your experience.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that you and your couple enjoyed a wonderful experience. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure unforgettable vacations to our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your arrival.
Best regards,
wetherby
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Arrived 25th March for 2 weeks.Quick check in service and was allocated room 1118,front block near to the beach but inner facing with only views of the table tennis area and some trees,not so good. Noticed that from our previous visit 3 years ago the towels hut had gone and replaced by a stage area that was used some afternoons for entertainment.The towel hut was now near to our block.Also a swim up bar had been built and to be honest this had changed the ambience of the pool area,it was a rather noisy and party like atmosphere. We used the beach anyway so didnt bother us through the day until late afternoon,was unable to have a quiet drink on the balcony due to noise.
Food in resort was very good and plenty of choice. Only real problems ( if you can call them that) was the usual issues with towels on sunbeds,and dress code in the evening. There dosnt appear to be any dress codes now as previous,its almost come as you please,individual choice I suppose,so ladies,dont pack all your nice dresses,you might look out of place !
Otherwise a very good place to holiday and would recommend to anyone. Maybe next time a rear facing room in one of the blocks "might"be quieter,depending on your neighbours.
First choice / Thomson got us there and back from the UK,not impressed with aircraft,very old and crappy,believe new dreamliner will be used soon from Manchester and its needed !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, we thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada once again for your vacations and for posting a feedback about your experience among us.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about or excellent international cuisine and the efficient service of our staff. In IBEROSTAR we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We apologize for any and all inconveniences that you might have encountered and have taken good notes to evaluate our performance nowadays.
We kindly invite you to visit our premises and update your feedback; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,
Pembroke, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2014

There was a group of 16 of us, all aged 10-80. All of us had a blast. Majority of us had traveled before and stayed at an Iberostar, so we had an idea of what to expect.
The food is excellent. Each night for dinner they have a different theme but still some of the same foods which is nice. Lunches on the beach are superb although it does get a bit windy sometimes.
The service was mostly incredible. Few minor problems with the front desk and moving rooms but nothing that isn't fixable once you start complaining heavily. The day staff were really great. Big shoutout to Tekila who we considered a friend at the end of the week. He made it a lot of fun for us all and was very energetic and made a point to say hi whenever he say us and stopped to talk to us a lot. Chocolate and Pepsicola were also very helpful.
The beach was nice, although there are many locals pressuring you to buy things and sometimes they don't understand the word 'No'. Not the resort's fault but still irritating sometimes.
We did 2 day trips. One on the cadamaran and it was awesome. We also did the cable car which was awesome as well. Would recommend both.
Drinks were good. Most of them weren't very strong(guess it depends on the bartender) but there's a good variety. Tipping waitresses will get you your drinks faster, so do it.
Rooms weren't anything incredible but the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are standard size.
There were a few minor flaws such as locals and wind, but nothing thats at the fault of the resort. Would highly recommend Iberostar for wherever you're going.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts for your vacations and for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience.
It is a pleasure for the whole team to acknowledge that you and your entire group had an excellent experience in our hotel premises due to excellent service of our friendly staff, the beauty and cleanness of our hotel and the variety of our gastronomy. All those aspects are part of our guiding principles in IBEROSTAR to ensure memorable holidays to our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us before your arrival,
With kindest regards,
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Very close to Puerto Plata, nice beach, centrally located for excursions. Staff very friendly. Stayed for 1 week for family wedding/vacation. Wedding set up by staff was beautiful and they even threw in a surprise performance!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
First at all, we thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holidays and for taking time to write a positive review about your stay among us to attend your family wedding.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we would like to express our satisfaction to read that your unforgettable family/wedding experience to our premises make you and your family feels as ¨STARS¨ as we aim in IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
Kind regards,
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed her April 2013. I'm writing my review now because I just joined tripadvisor. My first impression of the resort was excellent, a lady came around and handed out a welcome drink to everyone and check in was fast. Very clean resort, and the food was excellent. You do NOT have to worry about getting sick here. The entertainment is awesome and always something fun to do, or watch. The beach is nice, but the vendors totally ruin it. I travelled with my three year old who liked to make sand castles on the sand near the water, and the vendors just hassled you. I mean you say no go away and they just brush it off and keep bugging you. Security just stands there and doesn't care. This completely ruined my trip and the only reason I won't give it 5 stars. I understand vendors and that they need to make money, but when I say no that means no and stop bugging me and move on. One guy even bothered me to go to the bar and get him a drink, and wouldn't stop asking me!!! I felt so uncomfortable, so I spent the rest of my time at the pool and didn't get to enjoy to beach. A waterside would also be a nice touch to the resort, since there are a lot of kids at this resort.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Summer R
Dear Guest,
We thank you for posting a review about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, hotel Manager, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that from the first moment you came into our hotel you felt as a “Star” due to the excellent service of our staff, the cleanness of our premises and our exquisite international cuisine. In IBEROSTAR one of our guiding principles is to provide the best service to our “stars” on vacation. Likewise, we extend our apologies for the issues on the beach with the local vendors. We have communicated our Security Team to double their effort to control and prevent uncomfortable situations to our valuable costumers.
We kindly ask you to write us before your next visit; it will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back.
With regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here with my BF for two weeks from the 18th of March. We booked with First Choice (flew with Thompson - were NOT impressed with the flight at all!). Arriving at the hotel - check in did take a while but the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Our room was beautiful, I had read some reviews on here before going which said that the rooms were tired etc. but it was MUCH better than expected. It is the Caribbean, so it was humid and does feel different to rooms at home, but it was comfortable, very clean and well decorated. It just feels like you are in the Caribbean.. enjoy it!!!

The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, I have been to Puerto Plata 3 times now and this was the largest hotel I have stayed in.

The pool is great and very big, one end is busier and one more quiet. There are people that reserve the beds all day, but during our stay we didn't struggle to find beds once. Be careful getting into the Jacuzzi section, there is a big step (unmarked) and my boyfriend cut his leg on it.
I was disappointed with the music by the pool, sometimes It felt like I was in Ibiza... they should play more local music, slightly more relaxing!

The beach is lovely, just a short walk from the pool. There was quite a bit of seaweed, but you just have to put one foot in front of the other to step over it.. and the hotel staff did try to remove it regularly. There are a few sellers on the beach but they are very friendly and if you say no will leave you alone for the day.

Food and drink - The buffets were very nice, did themed nights so there was different food every day. There is a lot of choice if you like to try new things. We booked one a la carte at towards the end of the holiday - the Brazilian, it was a mistake! We had booked for 8.15, so turned up at 8.10 (I didn't want to be late) and they didn't even welcome us, just said 'come back in 15 minutes' rudely! So we went back at 8.15 on the dot, and they left us plus a whole bunch of other people waiting at the door for another 10 minutes, giving us evil looks! We were about to leave to go to the buffet instead, when a friendly lady came over to apologise for the other staff being miserable and she looked after us for the rest of the evening. That put us off trying the other restaurants though. There is a great selection of drinks at all of the bars.

Evening entertainment is the best I have seen in these types of hotels. The team are very talented.

The Wifi isn't free, it was 50 US dollars for 10 days. This did annoy me as it is a 5 star hotel, and they could probably include this in the price of the holiday. The safe is 2 dollars a day too.

I did get eaten alive by mosquitoes during the first week. At one point had 16 bites on one leg, not fun! I drowned myself in repellent at night time, I think I was getting bitten in the room. We went to the local supermarket and bought some raid bug spray and mozzy repellent coils for a couple of dollars to burn every night and I didn't get bitten in the 2nd week so was worth it!

We did some trips too - quick overview - paradise island (great if the weather is good)! Freestyle catamaran (very good and fun), white water rafting (fantastic - 3 hour drive away though), outback safari (great way to see the local area and learn about the country, the body boarding was also fun on this trip), we also did the Dominican night run by the First Choice reps - it was fantastic! They take you to an orphanage, around the local area, teach you about the culture and then take you for a party - so much fun! The only trip I would NOT recommend is the city tour and cable car, it felt like a wasted day, the rum factory tour is rubbish, they just usher you through to the shop, the city part dragged, the only good part was the cable car, I would get a taxi to the cable car and pay when you get there about 7 dollars. We couldn't wait to get back. The mountain is great though and fantastic views from the top!

We did visit the spa too, it was lovely and the massages are great!

Overall this holiday was fantastic, the hotel is gorgeous, the country is beautiful and there is so much to do. It is a very relaxing place to stay and we thoroughly enjoyed the trip :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2005, it was very clean and well decorated and in a good location - equal distance...