My friend and I (early 20's) went to the Iberostar Costa Dorada Resort in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic for Spring Break (March 13-20, 04).
IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I didn't wanna come back to gloomy Boston...I was happy I had just missed the big snow storm here! O gosh everything was beautiful over there.
Check in: Was quick..we were given our bracelets, room and towel cards, and information on the bus going to the resort. Thanks Gabriel... We used GWV travel and they treated us very well...thanks Lodi (mama) and Ali.
Rooms: Our room was awesome, we'd wake up with the sound of the birds chirping. We had a room in the 8000 block in the back. No view of a pool or the beach but it was all right cause we didn't spend much time in the room. We could see a beautiful garden outside which was just fine. There was no noise...air conditioner always worked and kept us cool, and the minibar was always stocked. We gave the maid about $2 everyday and she was very nice when we would wake up late and had to ask her to come back a little later. We do advise that if you do get the 4000 block, ask to be changed. We knew a couple who had a room here and their air conditioner barely worked and leaked then completely stopped working in the middle of the week. They didn't hear any noise from the club, because the club is a far distance from the rooms. But there were other tiny issues they encountered with those rooms.
Food: Everything was delicious. My friend and I are both Hispanic and enjoyed the food of this homeland. But they also had some regular American dishes that were soooo goood!!!!! We did try one of the alcarte restaurants: the Brazilian...and it was amazing. If you enjoy meat...you'll love this restaurant!! They carve the meat right at your table off the scuwer...and you have to try the dark chocolate fudge cake. OMG!!! TO DIE FOR. Make sure you bring elastic waist clothing...cause by the end of the week you would've gained much weight because of the food. YUM!!!!
La Mercado (the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner) would have certain times they opened and closed...but if you woke up late like we did you could always go to the buffet by the pool which had a large variety of food as well. We'd go to breakfast and it was outside in the open and this cute chicken family would walk in with the little chicks...and there was always this black bird flying around...totally harmless. Very sweet and cute!
Drinks: Let's just say, they're not stingy with the alcohol. I experienced a little tipsy after maybe 2 drinks. lol...
Tours: Me and my friend went to this place called Ocean World (kinda like Sea World)...where I had the chance to have a dolphin encounter....His name was Chico...I fell totally in love and I think he did back at me.
We also did the Puerto Plata half day tour...you visit the city, amber museum, and rum factory. Make sure you bring some candy cause when you step foot into the city and you see the young children you will know what I mean. There was one boy who ran after our bus when we stopped I just had to give him my juice and another couple gave him money. He was really so cute and sweet, I felt so bad for him!
We also went by ourselves with another couple on a 5 min. cab ride to Playa Dorada (a mall in Puerto Plata). Very cool, discos, restaurants, stores, movie theater. Think about buying your souvenirs there...very cheap! The cab ride was about $8 us round trip.
Night Life: Me and my friend would go to shows at the resort at night, Comedy Shows...kinda corney...but funny!! The club, rt. 66, is cool after a few drinks...lol...good music, American and Spanish.
The Beach: We didn't spend much time at the beach, it was really too windy and the sand would fly everywhere. But when you were frying in the sun by the pool, the beach was great to cool down!
We had a great time!! On our way to the Dominican Republic...we met this couple..who were sooo sweet! I would totally recommend this resort..5 stars!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cancelon, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata