“Relaxing Week is what I got :)”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relaxing Week is what I got :)”
Reviewed March 25, 2004

My friend and I (early 20's) went to the Iberostar Costa Dorada Resort in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic for Spring Break (March 13-20, 04).
IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I didn't wanna come back to gloomy Boston...I was happy I had just missed the big snow storm here! O gosh everything was beautiful over there.

Check in: Was quick..we were given our bracelets, room and towel cards, and information on the bus going to the resort. Thanks Gabriel... We used GWV travel and they treated us very well...thanks Lodi (mama) and Ali.

Rooms: Our room was awesome, we'd wake up with the sound of the birds chirping. We had a room in the 8000 block in the back. No view of a pool or the beach but it was all right cause we didn't spend much time in the room. We could see a beautiful garden outside which was just fine. There was no noise...air conditioner always worked and kept us cool, and the minibar was always stocked. We gave the maid about $2 everyday and she was very nice when we would wake up late and had to ask her to come back a little later. We do advise that if you do get the 4000 block, ask to be changed. We knew a couple who had a room here and their air conditioner barely worked and leaked then completely stopped working in the middle of the week. They didn't hear any noise from the club, because the club is a far distance from the rooms. But there were other tiny issues they encountered with those rooms.

Food: Everything was delicious. My friend and I are both Hispanic and enjoyed the food of this homeland. But they also had some regular American dishes that were soooo goood!!!!! We did try one of the alcarte restaurants: the Brazilian...and it was amazing. If you enjoy meat...you'll love this restaurant!! They carve the meat right at your table off the scuwer...and you have to try the dark chocolate fudge cake. OMG!!! TO DIE FOR. Make sure you bring elastic waist clothing...cause by the end of the week you would've gained much weight because of the food. YUM!!!!

La Mercado (the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner) would have certain times they opened and closed...but if you woke up late like we did you could always go to the buffet by the pool which had a large variety of food as well. We'd go to breakfast and it was outside in the open and this cute chicken family would walk in with the little chicks...and there was always this black bird flying around...totally harmless. Very sweet and cute!

Drinks: Let's just say, they're not stingy with the alcohol. I experienced a little tipsy after maybe 2 drinks. lol...

Tours: Me and my friend went to this place called Ocean World (kinda like Sea World)...where I had the chance to have a dolphin encounter....His name was Chico...I fell totally in love and I think he did back at me.

We also did the Puerto Plata half day tour...you visit the city, amber museum, and rum factory. Make sure you bring some candy cause when you step foot into the city and you see the young children you will know what I mean. There was one boy who ran after our bus when we stopped I just had to give him my juice and another couple gave him money. He was really so cute and sweet, I felt so bad for him!

We also went by ourselves with another couple on a 5 min. cab ride to Playa Dorada (a mall in Puerto Plata). Very cool, discos, restaurants, stores, movie theater. Think about buying your souvenirs there...very cheap! The cab ride was about $8 us round trip.

Night Life: Me and my friend would go to shows at the resort at night, Comedy Shows...kinda corney...but funny!! The club, rt. 66, is cool after a few drinks...lol...good music, American and Spanish.

The Beach: We didn't spend much time at the beach, it was really too windy and the sand would fly everywhere. But when you were frying in the sun by the pool, the beach was great to cool down!

We had a great time!! On our way to the Dominican Republic...we met this couple..who were sooo sweet! I would totally recommend this resort..5 stars!!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 23, 2004

The weather was to humid... there was nothing to do... nothing for children.... there were topless woman and fat old men in spedos...

United States
Reviewed March 22, 2004

We just came back from a weeks stay (3/15-3/22) at the Iberostar. I totally agree with the other reviews that the resort is beautiful and very clean. The pool is nice and the lobby bar is the best for drinks.
There is a wide variety of food for everyone, we thought the Brazillian restaurant was the best. If a white sand beach and a calm ocean is what you are looking for, this is not the place for you. It is quite calm in the morning, but in the afternoon it is very windy and there is alot of seaweed. The workers work continuously to try and keep it clean. This was not a problem for us as we do not snorkel. BE SURE AND BRING ALONG AN INSULATED MUG FOR YOUR BEVERAGES! The ice in the drinks does not last very long and the mugs will keep you drinks nice and cold or your coffee or tea hot. We went on two excursions. The first being the Night on the Town(Pub Crawl). The cost was $45.00 US. I would not recommend this excursion as I don't feel it was worth $45.00, maybe $25.00-$30.00. It was nice to experience the night life without having to drive around, but it wasn't worth the price. We also went on the Monster Truck Safari. We chose this one over the Outback Safari because we were able to stop at a local school and home. I did bring things for the kids, such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, crayons, balls, paper, pencils. I know a previous review said to not bring anything to throw to these kids because it is making beggars out of them. I have found that most of the kids learn from little on to beg for things, no matter what island you are on. I found the Dominican people to be very clean and friendly compared to some other islands we have been to. The Star Friends and all of the employees at the resort work tirelessly for 12-15 hours a day to keep you entertained and they always have a smile on their face. Tips are not required, but if they are doing a good job, it is appreciated. We found the shows at night to be a little corny, but everyone has their own taste. We did not have any stomach problems, except from over eating and drinking. I would recommend the Iberostar.
It was a beautiful place for the price.

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank LoveVakay2004
Toronto
Reviewed March 21, 2004

My family stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada from March 13 - 20, 2004, March break for us folks here in southern Ontario. Me being somewhat anal and a whiner from time-to-time had a difficult time finding something bad--->tepid at this 5 star resort.

A couple days before arrival I had made a special request for a room setup and they delivered what I asked for. The property is CLEAN, beautifully gardened with a turtle pond, flamingo pool, peacocks and famililies of chickens (aka tomorrow's lunch) running around the resort. No need to bring bug spray here.

The food was excellent at the buffet restaurant, as well as the pool lunch buffet and the Brazilian restaurant ( MEAT MEAT AND MORE MEAT!!!). We didn't do the tropical or Mexican restauants.

The drinks were great, there are premium brands available but they don't display them, you have to ask for them. All you rye drinkers, just ask for it, especially at the lobby bar. At the pool bar, ELVIS is alive and well and slinging drinks "Cocktail" style. Also check out the beach bar near the mini club. It has its own unique flavour and is more laid back than the pool bar with a wonderful ocean view and music.

The miniclub does not have a sign-in/sign-out policy which I wasn't too keen on. The miniclub and the children did a show every night before the main entertainment at the theater. For shows that they rehearse just that day were really well done and had a degree of production value. I didn't usually stick around for the rest of the shows because I was carrying my sound asleep daughter back to our room.

The chambermaids did a great of making up the rooms, it appears there is a Maid Supervisor signing off on each room as it was cleaned. Each room's bathroom had 4 glass bricks out to the hallway, this is a night light so you don't have to turn on the bathroom lights when you do your business in the middle of the night.

I would recommend going to the Iberostar Costa Dorada, can't go wrong here. Yes, we'll be back!!

3 Thank bob_from_toronto
Reviewed March 18, 2004

My wife and I went to the Iberostar Costa Dorada from Jan. 17-24. We had a great time, the place is beautiful, the architecture was very grande. The breakfast buffet was very good, the lunch buffet took some time to understand, as the basic ingredients were there to have a nice meal you just had to find them and use some imagination. The beach and pool were very nice, the water quite warm, mid-70's for both I would guess. The paradise Island excursion was incredible, the snorkeling and the water were amazing. We also went on the six-wheeler trip, it was awful, I got carbon monoxide poisoning from the frequent stops, The steering is tank style, 2 levers, I had to constantly pull back on the left one to go straight, could'nt enjoy the scenery as I was to busy steering, go on a trip where you don't have to drive.

Reviewed March 15, 2004

I just got back from Costa Dorada on Saturday and I am still mourning the fact that I had to leave at all. I went with two of my best friends and we had the best vacation ever. The resort is perfect. It is large, but there is plenty of staff to be attentive to your needs. It is clean and comfortable. The food was excellent - especially the restaurants that require reservations. I highly recommend the Brazilian one. In the buffets there was always lots of choices and dessert was a must! The drinks were great and there was a wide selection. During the day you could do as little or as much activity as you wanted and the staff were always so friendly and outgoing. Being three 20-something women, we definitely experienced our shared of Latin machismo, but then its flattering and by the end of the week we felt like family. At night there was always dancing in the evening, then a show and then we'd go to the disco. The shows were really great - not even a little cheesy and these kids rehearsed their butts off to make the shows exciting and fun - I don't know where they get their energy from but they always went out into town with us until early the next morning and still they were at work the next day! We did the 6-wheelers which was so much fun.
You got to drive your own car and be prepared to get dirty and a little wet too! We took the tour of Puerto Plata - where we saw the rum factory and the amber museum. We also did the catamaran tour which was so much fun - bring lots of 30 sunscreen though and apply often!! This was such a great vacation and Iberostar was definitely a 5 star resort!
I'm already planning a trip back in June and I can't wait to get back there!

Reviewed March 15, 2004

This was our second trip here and am delighted to say that this trip was even better than the last. The staff are second to none and go out of their way to make your stay fantastic. Food was ecellent with the head chef regularly available for comments and assistance. Premium drinks arer available but you have to ask for them. Although our last stay was 18 months ago, many of the staff remembered us, which is an indication of how much notice they take. One slight gripe was that during our first week we could not get a sunbed, not because there were not enough but because people were doing dawn patrols to reserve not one bed but two. One in the sun and one in the shade. We sat at the beach bar one morning and watched 4 beds unmanned for 3 hours - where were the people - on the beach on their other beds! The management responded quickly by not only removing towels but also placing notices under each palapa, only to have them reserved again. Also, if you go on any of the trips into the villages, please do not throw sweets or money to the children, as you are making them into beggers as well as ruining their teeth. Do you know how much a dentist costs for these people! The Outback safari guides are very good and enforce this rule, Monster trucks ask you not to but still people were doing it. Ocean World is now open where you can have an encounter with Sea Lions and Dolphins they have two pacakges one calle the 'Combo' for around $125 which is an encounter only or the $175 package which is a Sea Lion encounter and a Dolphin swim. The tour reps do not make this clear when you book so to avoid disappointment check out what you are getting for you money.
We did find the staff at Ocean World unfriendly, if this is your first time on the island please do not take this as being the Domincan way.
We've alredy booked the Iberostar for next March, and we only got back this morning - so please do try them out you will not be disappointed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!