“Amazing first vacation!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed from July 23rd-31st and I have to say for a first time vacation it was amazing!!! We traveled as a group of six and we really enjoyed our stay. There were some defaults but first for the good things!
The two most important things to us were: 1) the beds and 2) the food.
We had a goodnight's rest every night and the maids come to clean the rooms everyday.There's no need to upgrade to a junoir suite, the normal rooms are accomodating for 3 people (we had 3 people on our room and we all slept comfortably), the only difference between a junior suite and a regular room is that it includes a safe.
The food was really really good. They had a great variety for every meal of the day. The desserts were not that great but the main dishes were good. They do have a 24 hour snack bar that rotates between the restaurants and the main buffet (even though its not posted on their website) and the drinks at the bars are okay too. They also have a ice cream machine:) For the restaurants, out of all them, we really loved the brazilian one, the food was really good there. We booked it twice.

The beach is a great place to relax, But the pool is not that great. It looks nice but when all the locals come to the resort, they fill the pool and spill drinks in the pool and it gets pretty gross. My sister got a rash after her first time in the pool. So we only went to the beach to swim.

The staff at the resort are okay. Most of the bartenders are nice ONLY if you tip them. However, the maids and the waiters/tresses at the restaurants and buffets are very nice.

The management is also very good. We did have some complaints about our room and the service we recieved. However after I ensured they understood my disappointment, they were glad to accomodate our requests. Melvin was one of the supervisors at reception who was extremely helpful when we ran into these problems. Francisco at reception was also an angel! He was very calm and really wanted to help us get what we wanted.

The locals are the biggest problem at the resort that they have to fix. They overcrowded the resort the whole time that we were there. I wouldn't have minded them if they weren't rude or obnoxious. Obviously not all of them are that way but people constantly cut me in line and were not very friendly at all unless you were domincan.

Overall it was a good resort, the food was good, the rooms were nice and we met a lot of great people. But would I ever go there again? I wouldn't mind going again if I saw improvements based on the points I mentioned above.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Annet A
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear guests
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your vacations and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales and the whole team, we want to express you how glad we are to read your positive comments referring our exquisite gastronomy and the cleanness and beauty of our premises. In Iberostar we take cuisine seriously and it is part of the key of our success. We have congratulated Melvin and Francisco for making your stay especial and have sent your feedback to our Bar Manager.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again and remain at your disposition for any request you may have before your next visit.
With regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (7,440)

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed 21st july to August 1st 2013

Right first of all i have to give a bit of background information as i never intended to be in Puta Plato at all.I was staying in samana some three hours away if you are being driven in an ambulance piloted by a maniac who is a cross between Indiana Jones and speedy Gonzalez with a death wish.It should have taken about for hours.
After three nights staying in the hospital with my mother as she was suffering from a badly brocken hip,she had stablised,and so it was decided that i should get a hotel to get some much needed sleep.
So after a ten minit spirited drive in an an old Toyota taxi that had done more miles than the star ship enterprise i arrived at the ibero star costa Dorada.
Check in was relativley easy apart from trying to find my room. Bearing in mind i had not slept for three nights it would have been nice for someone to have shown me to the room, and as a consiquence it took me fifteen minuits of climing three flights of stairs in three different blocks before i found my sanctuary.
I was more than pleased on entering 3214 a spacious bedroom with queen sized bed covered in flower petals,a good sized bath room with shower and bath tub.The view from the balcony was super as it overlooked a spectacular floodlit swimming pool.The air conditioning never switched off even if you left the room ensuring that you always returned to a cool room and the maids kept the room beautifuly clean.
Now because i was visiting the hospital all day every day i did not use the facilities during the day but i did have a good walk round and could not find fault with any thing.The grounds are beautifuly well maintained and all the equipment was of a high standard clean and working.
The food was of a very high standard varied plentiful and fresh so if you dont like beef steak, ,roast beef, pork, chicken,smoked salmon, king prawns, lobster,shell fish all sorts of other fish,salads,vegetables,rice,pasta cheese,varied deserts,pizza ,burgers and fruit ,Perhaps this is just not the place for you?However if you like fine cusine you will not be dissapointed.

The staff are a delight freindly and always ready to help.My favorate place was the bar as it was well stocked with top end branded drinks and despite my most determined efforts never ran dry.Once you have introduced yourself the staff never forget your name and greeted me every night with a smile and an enthusiastic hand shake,a nice touch when you are on your own.
At this point i would like to thank all the lovely people i met ,espesially all you lovely ladies that gave me a hug after hearing my tale of woe,you will never know how much that helped.
To the side of the bar there is a large theater area,here most of the entertainment takes place. The Animation team are fantastic and most nights manage to provide a spectacular show and at there best are good enough to give las vegas shows a run for there money.

So there you have it great rooms .Superb food ,Fantastic drinks,Lovely grounds,Brillient entertainment. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT.

Thank you very much Ibero star it was worth every penny

Richard Haines

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank richardhaines
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very pleased to read that despite the personal reason that brought you into our premises which we hope has ended up into a positive way, our excellent service, wide entertainment and gastronomy options and the beauty of our premises ensured you a pleasant stay. In Iberostar we want our valuable costumers to “enjoy being a Star”.
We kindly invite you to give us the honor to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us you prior your visit.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I just returned from Iberostar with my girlfriend in July 2013. We had a great time, the the hotel was very nice, people worked there were very friendly. The beach was great, lots of shells to be found and of course annoying beach locals trying to sell you stuff.

This place is better for families, as me and my girlfriend 26 year olds, found we didn't have many people to socialize with our age.

The one major fault of this place was the food. Only about half the food was appealing to the eye, the other half that we ate got us sick. So it was like living in paradise, while suffering through hell of stomach issues for a week.

Overall we did have a great time, the food left a sour taste (pun intended) in our mouth.

3  Thank Dave R
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and also for choosing our hotel as your holiday’s destination.
We appreciate your positive words about the beauty of our premises and the kindness of our staff. In Iberostar we are committed to provide an excellent service to our valuable costumers.
On the other hand, our Executive has been informed about your feedback regarding the presentation of our exquisite cuisine. We would like to clarify though that we take Hygiene seriously and our cooks follow the strict sanitary regulations based on the Dominican laws and by the recommendations of Saniconsult, our external hygiene consulter as well as the strict hygiene control of the well know International Tout Operators. In fact, this year we were awarded by our excellent performance on hygiene and food manipulation.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance especially in case you decide to visit us once again.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited there from July 30th to 2nd, 2013. I've been to several resorts in Punta Cana so it was my first time in Puerto Plata and I was very disappointed.
Check In: Receptionist seemed to be in a very bad mood, it was extremely hot, I was traveling with my husband, mother in law, twin 3 yr old boys and my two sister in law. They had fans in the lobby but they were turned off and the girl told me they don't get turned on until after 3pm(we arrived at 1pm).
Room: Old, outdated, mold in bathroom, sheets in bed felt wet I guess from the humidity, safe in room was extra charge, the minibar in the room had two cokes(one diet and one regular), two bottles of water and two juice. Reminder it was four of us in the room including two children two bottles of water is not going to cut it. They told us that they restock every day and that if we needed anything there was always somewhere in the premises that was open for drinks or food, like you want to get up in the middle of the night in your PJ to get a glass of water in the lobby...lol. Second night there one of my kids wet the bed and the maid made the bed and didn't change the sheets...just imagine the smell in the room when we came back. TV had a green line across the bottom, only a few channels worked. The door didn't close it had to be lifted up a little in order to close completely, called to have it fixed and the guy came, left and left door open if it wasn't for my mother in law next door to us who know where our things would have ended up.
Grounds: well kept, clean
Food: Same every day, doesn't change, by the second day you get tired of it. It doesn't taste fresh. The selection is ordinary unless you don't mind eating salad and fruit every day then you should be ok. It was seven of us and no one ever seated us. First day we sat on a table that was set up for ten and the waiter told us we had to sit at another one at another section with six but we were seven? Then he told us he would set up an extra spot and he never did. We ended up getting the extra chair and extra utensils from another table. Breakfast, no coffee or drinks were brought to our table, we always had to chase a waiter, don't waste your money tipping it doesn't get you anywhere. I didn't try any of the restaurants because you have to personally go to guest services and make a reservation every day for every restaurant you want to go. I wasn't going to do it. Why couldn't they take a phone call? don't know.
Pool: Kids pool was filthy, green lime around the pool on the walls and sand. Water was NOT clear. Adults pool same thing lime around the wall, pieces coming off the floor by the volleyball net, dirty, someone was wiping off the green lime on the pool with some chemical while people were in there, why didn't they clean it after everyone was out, at night time like others do?
Drinks: Unless you like rum and coke, you are out of luck. Mixed drinks were terrible, watered down and even when you asked them to add more alcohol they were very conservative. By the way they don't mix the drinks they use they same juice mix you can buy at your local supermarket....just add alcohol...lol
Clinic: Not included, is private and if you are traveling with kids bring your motrin, benadryl, neosporin, whatever first aid kit you may need because my son had his left eye swollen and we took him there and they wanted to charge us $100 for consultation, $55 for the ambulance to take him to the local clinic plus whatever fees the clinic was going to charge and she made us believe that it was an emergency and it couldn't wait until we got back to USA, long story short she gave me a really bad feeling like she was trying to rip us off so then We left and told her we had to make a call and we would come back. I took a picture of the eye, text it to his doctor, the doctor told me to give him benadryl that it was an allergic reaction and half hour later he was fine. Avoid going to the clinic at all cost and if needed if your life is not in danger call your own doctor or take a taxi to the local clinic.
check out: Same thing, rude staff. I interrupted a conversation they were having and if looks killed I would be dead. I Would Never go There, even if it was free!!!

Room Tip: If you still want to try it out, ask them for a room on the top floor, too much noise on first floor...
9  Thank Katiuska2013
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience with us and for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your family holidays.
We would like to express you how much we regret to read that our exquisite gastronomy, our family friendly premises and the excellent service provided by our staff could not meet your expectations nor ensured you a pleasant holiday as hundreds of satisfied clients do every day whilst visiting our hotel. In Iberostar our excellent service and exquisite gastronomy are the key of our success in our more than one hundred hotels worldwide. We regret to read that you left our premises with another idea in your mind.
We remain at your entire disposition for any further assistance especially in case you decide to “enjoy being a Star” in any of our destinations.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We just returned from a fantastic trip in Puerto Plata. The Iberostar hotel has a beautifull beach, and great swimming pool within a very nice garden type look. The global organisation (animation, restaurants, garden maintenance and house keeping are doing a fantastic job, they are very friendly and you can feel they care about the quality of you stay). I would like to especially thank Aneudy from the customer support team who prepared for us some spanish cards explaining the chefs about our son's food allergy, this was highly appreciated and all the chefs did take this very seriously in all restaurants.

We have been in all restaurants and the meals were just fantastic, the Tacos al Pastor at the Hacienda were so good! Drinks were great and bar tenders always serve you with a smile.

As we are a familly of 5 we got two communicating rooms on the ground floor Block 3. The rooms were very clean and well maintained during our stay. The air conditioning was far enough to maintain the temperature and reduce the humidity in the rooms. We always had more then enough hot water for the showers.

It is important to mention that the beach had security people all day, the local people selling things on the beach were very respectfull and not insisting at all, this was highly appreciated.

Both on the beach or at the swiming pool, there was more than enough chairs available, no need to reserve early in the morning.

As a newly certified open water diver, the selection of the Iberostar was influenced by the fact they have on site a PADI dive center. I would like to thank all the team from the center for their professionalism, it was fantastic diving with your team of instructors and divemasters. I felt very safe diving with you and would repeat the experience any time!. The Sosua bay offers many nice diving sites for all levels of experince, this is a great site with deep bleu see and plenty of different fishes variety to see and more... I would like to thank David (the Black Shark) for the introduction to diving to the other members of my familly, they appreciated a lot, maybe future divers???.

We would recommend this hotel without any hesitations.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gerard P

Dear guest,
We want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your family holidays and for taking time to write some comments about your stay among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to express how glad we are to read that your holidays among us was memorable due to the beauty and cleanness of our premises, our wide options for daily and nightly entertainment, our exquisite gastronomy and the excellent service of our friendly staff as the one provide by Aneudy from our Guest Service team. Our staff members in Iberostar are committed to ensure unforgettable experiences to our valuable costumers with their service.
We are already waiting for your next visit; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We go abroad at least once a year but mostly to Europe or Thailand and never choose less than 4 stars. This time we went west together with friends and got positively surprised! I had a bit of a negative attitude to all inclusive based on previous experiences but this hotel really changed my mind. Food is more than excellent, fresh, nicely presented and with a vast variety. Everything was hygienic and fresh.
The hotel itself is in very good condition even if it is in need of renovation in some parts. Not that anything was actually broken but the wear is starting to show. The rooms was of decent size with comfortable beds and when it comes to cleaning there was absolutely nothing to complain about. The pool was nice even if I would like to see a more regular cleaning. Also, the fact that there is just one (really large) pool is in my experience a risk since if anything should happen and it needs to be shut down, there is only the sea as an alternative. I believe there is a major rebuild planned for Oct. 13 so maybe this will be solved then. There are a lot of different activities free of charge all days of the week, such as tennis, football(soccer), archery, airgun and gymnastics. For those who need exercise there is a gym that looked well equipped. In the same building there is a spa with a steam room, hot and cold jacuzzi and showers. This is also the place to for a really nice massage. If a girl named Angela is still there, be sure to ask for her. The staff in general is very friendly in a sincere way and we soon found our favorite waiter in Nelson who managed to understand my preference in strong black coffee and made sure I got my fix every morning. A lot of people was a bit disturbed by the local population who stayed at the hotel during weekends and to be honest it does get a bit busy and noisy. Be street smart and book your excursions and A la carte dinners over Sat/Sun. This minimizes any problem you could have. All in all we had a really nice stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back. I have deliberately not mentioned the animation team since I didn't watch any shows but judging by others it was good.

Room Tip: Closer to sea means further from reception and restaurants. The west/right side has closer to bars a...
5  Thank Olog2013

Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, hotel Manager, we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada for your vacation and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
We want to express how satisfied we are to acknowledge that our varied gastronomy and the service of our staff ensured you a pleasant holiday and set new expectations regarding the quality of all inclusive hotels. Both aspects are part of our guiding principle in Iberostar so we can ensure unforgettable experiences to our beloved guests and are the key of our success worldwide. Likewise, we appreciate your suggestions regarding our pool; it has been forwarded to the whole Management team.
We are looking forward to see you in our facilities once again; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a beautiful resort, on a very nice beach. Sand is not white regardless, the sand is glorious. The resort is large but still has a cozy feel to it. Most days I would spend it at the beach and just so that you know, there is no need to get up at 3am in the morning to save loungers, there is plenty of those to go around. After spending a day at the beach, I would find a beautiful spot under a palapas, with a cool drink, enjoying the view and reading my book. The pool area was very well kept, clean and neat. It was a busy spot, however, the pool area is so huge that you never felt cramped. The food is great, no complaints, lots to choose from every night!. The nightly entertainment is welcomed, every night is different. My room was located on the second floor at the back of the hotel. I did not mind this as it was quiet. The service road was located at the back, however, it was not noisy to me. I had a beautiful balcony, overlooking a gorgeous garden-like view. My room was cleaned on a daily basis, always lots of towels and extra water! The staff at the resort were very cordial. I used the wifi on a consistent basis, for business and it worked great, no issues with that. Overall, I would highly recommend this resort for true relaxation.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, take a room on the first level, if you don't mind stairs, it looks...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank stylishdigs

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holidays and taking the time to post a review about your experience among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for highlighting out the beauty and cleanness of our hotel premises including Marapica Beach. Our gardeners, housekeeping and maintenance crews are very thankful for dedicating them some line about their excellent work to keep our hotel in good shape. In Iberostar we are on the best beaches worldwide and upkeep our premises.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
Best regards,