We stayed from July 23rd-31st and I have to say for a first time vacation it was amazing!!! We traveled as a group of six and we really enjoyed our stay. There were some defaults but first for the good things!
The two most important things to us were: 1) the beds and 2) the food.
We had a goodnight's rest every night and the maids come to clean the rooms everyday.There's no need to upgrade to a junoir suite, the normal rooms are accomodating for 3 people (we had 3 people on our room and we all slept comfortably), the only difference between a junior suite and a regular room is that it includes a safe.
The food was really really good. They had a great variety for every meal of the day. The desserts were not that great but the main dishes were good. They do have a 24 hour snack bar that rotates between the restaurants and the main buffet (even though its not posted on their website) and the drinks at the bars are okay too. They also have a ice cream machine:) For the restaurants, out of all them, we really loved the brazilian one, the food was really good there. We booked it twice.
The beach is a great place to relax, But the pool is not that great. It looks nice but when all the locals come to the resort, they fill the pool and spill drinks in the pool and it gets pretty gross. My sister got a rash after her first time in the pool. So we only went to the beach to swim.
The staff at the resort are okay. Most of the bartenders are nice ONLY if you tip them. However, the maids and the waiters/tresses at the restaurants and buffets are very nice.
The management is also very good. We did have some complaints about our room and the service we recieved. However after I ensured they understood my disappointment, they were glad to accomodate our requests. Melvin was one of the supervisors at reception who was extremely helpful when we ran into these problems. Francisco at reception was also an angel! He was very calm and really wanted to help us get what we wanted.
The locals are the biggest problem at the resort that they have to fix. They overcrowded the resort the whole time that we were there. I wouldn't have minded them if they weren't rude or obnoxious. Obviously not all of them are that way but people constantly cut me in line and were not very friendly at all unless you were domincan.
Overall it was a good resort, the food was good, the rooms were nice and we met a lot of great people. But would I ever go there again? I wouldn't mind going again if I saw improvements based on the points I mentioned above.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 516 rooms 498 Double Rooms , 18 spacious Junior Suites ,4 handicap, 10 interconnecting, 27 superiors and 45 ocean view. The colonial-style complex and common areas are surrounded by huge tropical gardens. An attentive multilingual staff helps to make this a perfect vacation experience on the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with VISIT US, INC. , Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata