“Perfect holiday”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
calgary
“Perfect holiday”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week with a wedding group. What a fantastic place. This was our first all inclusive and the iberostar did not disappoint! Food-wise, other than lack of spice (heat), it was pretty good all around from the main buffet, snack bar and theme restaurants. Drinks were fantastic with premium brands. The beach, though a bit littered with seaweed, is nice when it wasn't windy. Water was warm. Our room was great, though we had requested a king bed and instead got 2 doubles. No elevators, so if you have heavy things like our golf bags, you may want to request a lower level room. The workers were all very friendly and helpful. The only downside was lack of free wifi - that should be standard especially for higher end resorts. We bought a sim card and signed up for a short term account in Puerto Plata. This was truly a wonderful stay. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank acpyrus
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear guests,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at Iberostar Costa Dorada.
We want to express how happy we are to read that you enjoyed from a memorable holiday at our hotel due to the friendliness of our staff member and our varied gastronomy. In Iberostar we aim to provide the best service so our guests can “enjoy being a Star”.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your return.
With regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada 2 nights July 23 – 25th with our 2 kids and my husband’s parents (total of 6) kids stayed free and I couldn’t be happier with the choice. We were greeted with frozen drinks for all of us and were immediately directed to the snack bar by the pool since we checked in late. The hotel is well kept and the staff puts your needs first. The food was excellent it was difficult not to find something you like with such a big variety and so many stations. This is a well distributed hotel with all rooms having easy access to the pool and beach. The beach was good except it had a lot of seaweed, but the waves were not bad and the temperature was excellent. What I liked the most was the staff; everyone was more than willing to make sure our stay was great. Our daughter was hungry at midnight and my husband went to the snack bar and they prepped her snacks for the room even though it’s not “allowed”. Their entertainment is excellent and kid friendly; the Dominican night on Wednesday was our favorite. We reserved at the Brazilian restaurant one night, and they are also great with the food, they basically serve you the entire menu of meats.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering Puerto Plata as their destination.

Room Tip: I stayed in the first floor but seems like a higher floor would be better.
4 Thank Loanmi L
Dear guests,
Thank you very much for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your vacations and for taking time to write some comments about your stay.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales and his team, we want to express you how glad we are to read that you and especially your children enjoyed “being a Star” during your holidays among us due to the family friendliness of our premises, our exquisite gastronomy and the excellent service of our staff as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
Please contact us to help you enjoy your next visit; we will be glad to welcome you back.
Hampshire
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We are coming to the end of our two week break here and it is the weekend here as I type this.....
But first, I cannot recommend upgrading to the Premium cabin enough on the flight over. Thomson have this right, and it is relatively affordable given all the extras that you receive. The priority check in and security channel access at Gatwick is brilliant and the leg room and in flight service as good as BA for half the price.
The hotel itself is in need of updating. The grounds are lovely, well maintained and the lobby areas very relaxing. The rooms are basic and meet our needs although when we arrived our minibar was not stocked, our TV was broken and a light did not work. These were eventually sorted out though, but the big issue for me in this area is the bathroom. The bath was chipped and the grouting peeling off, not great. We made sure we tipped our chambermaid two dollars a day. For this we had our minibar stocked every day.
In terms of the drinks- best tip is to take an insulated travel mug with you. The bar staff will fill it with whatever you wish- beer, cocktails etc. They do appreciate the odd tip, which will ensure that you get served quicker too. Elvin and his team work very hard and to be fair earn every dollar they get. Yes the drinks are watered down, but it is so hot over here that it is not a problem. In the lobby bar in the evening make sure you ask for the international brand spirit that you want- they are kept in cupboards!!
The entertainment is excellent, and you can choose what you wish to do. My partner played volleyball every day and we all made friends with Pepsi there. The entertainment staff work from 0900 until midnight with a two hour break in the afternoon- again, they deserve their tips and are always happy.
The very significant issue for me, which will prevent us returning, is the issue of permitting locals to crowd the resort from Thursday until Sundays. I am sorry but this is no "cultural " issue as is mentioned by the management team every time they respond to criticism about this, and we are not being racist or discriminatory in any way. It is quite simply a case that the local population are allowed to come to this resort and dominate it to the extent that other international guests will feel intimidated and will, funnily enough, place negative reviews on Trip for others to read. I have witnessed some appalling behaviour both around the pool and in the buffet areas, where the hotel staff have totally failed to enforce some very basic regulations which let's face it, keep everyone safe. As a family though we will not accept such rude behaviour and will challenge people. But I accept that other people will not feel as empowered. I have seen the pool change colour because of the food/drink and other "substances" that have found their way into it, so we have never used it and use the sea instead. This factor and this factor alone will prevent us from returning, and I strongly suspect many others will feel the same. It is such a shame, because outside of these times, the resort is lovely, the staff unfailingly polite and we have managed to have a very relaxing holiday. Joseph in the main buffet restaurant, is excellent both in terms of his attitude and service levels. I would like to see some sort of recognition system set up so we an nominate staff for employee of the week/month.
The weather is incredibly hot and humid and be prepared to get bitten.... It is a tropical environment.
If you are coming here soon, then to avoid the crowd issues, ensure that you book the a la carte dining on Friday and Saturday's and use the sun beds away from the pool area. This should at least minimise the issues that I have outlined.

14 Thank HampshireCouple10
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Thomson/First Choice holiday booked online
Premium Club seats on flight
Vicky our tour rep was very good

Porters brought our suitcases to our room- nice touch.
Although the holiday was all-inclusive, many guests tipped service staff too.

There was a wide mix of guests from many different countries- although the main language was Spanish, service staff also spoke English well and most signs/ menus were also in French, German, Dutch and Italian.

The food at the buffet was good, and although some popular stations had queues at busy times, a little patience usually paid off. The a la carte restaurants were good, in order of experience/service/food, best Seafood, ok Brazilian, 3rd Mexican. These restaurants can be booked from 9am 3 days in advance.

The pool-side areas were nice, you can get a sun-lounger mattress from the store free of charge. It was never too busy in the week we were there. The beach-side loungers were comfortable too, offering a quieter experience when the pool got busier. It was nice to see families enjoying themselves in the pool, although I can appreciate more reserved people being disturbed by the noise.

The evening entertainment was amusing, but I didn't see all of it as I was very tired every evening. I watched The Lion King one evening and I thought it was best for young children.

The air-conditioning in the room made it very comfortable to retire to from the heat outside. At night time, I found it hard to sleep with the noise of the air-conditioning.

The hotel room had a TV with mostly channels in Spanish. It had BBC America and ABC Family in English, RAI and a German channel. There was a clock-radio with dual-alarms, a fridge for a mini-bar and a safe. The safe is USD$2 per day. As with most hotels, the hair-dryer was weak.

The room was tidied everyday and the mini-bar was restocked every two days. Each day the maid left a towel arrangement like a flower, fish or swan.

WiFi is available for USD$60 for a week on one device. I'm pleased to say it works well throughout the resort complex.

We chose not to take any of the additional paid trips as I thought they were expensive on top of an already expensive holiday.

Room Tip: 7000 block is close to hotel pool, restaurant and beach. x0xx rooms are on the ground floor, saves...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jm8997
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for having chosen Hotel Iberostar Costa Dorada as your holiday’s destination and also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, and her team, we would like to express how glad we are to read your positive comments referring the cleanness and beauty of our premises, the variety of our gastronomy and the kindness of our staff and their excellent service. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service through the work of our staff members.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was my family’s fifth stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada. Although it was a pleasure to see the many friends and other repeat guests that we have met over the years, I have to say with much reservation that this summer our stay was not up to the quality that we have come to know at this resort.

Grounds & Accommodations: We were happy to see the improvements that have been made, the new orchid garden and the beautiful fountains and bridge that are now in the garden leading to the pool. And there are future improvements planned for the pool area that sound promising. The guest rooms are in need of updating and maintenance. We weren’t in our room much, but when we were we had to deal with an air conditioner that worked sporadically, a toilet that leaked, and shower water with low water pressure that went hot and cold. A fan needs to be installed in the bathroom which becomes unbearably hot after you take a shower as there is nowhere for the steam to escape. Maid service was good, as we were always pleased to return to a nice clean room after a day at the pool. Thank you to the pool staff - Juan, Jose Miguel, and Manuel who where always smiling and willing to help, and also to Jonathan in the towel shack and Jairo in the gym.

Entertainment: Since we have been going to this resort for the last five summers, we have seen all of the shows several times…it’s time for at least a couple of new ones!!! I also regret to say that the quality of the entertainment has declined. The STAR band is fabulous, but the staff dancers lack enthusiasm and their technique is sloppy. They actually look bored on stage. Before and after the show the STAR Friends try to get the guests involved and on the dance floor. Aris, Gigi, and Shakira were very friendly and worked hard at getting guests up to dance. And for those guests who did not know how to dance the STAR Friends patiently taught them a few basic steps. It was wonderful to see!

Disco: I love to dance and have been a performing dancer for the last 15 years, so I was glad to see that there was a nice mix of music played in the disco that appealed to all ages. Modern, techno, R&B, and some good salsa, merengue and bachata. DJ Albert was friendly, has a good sense of humor and was always asking people what they wanted to hear. I was a bit disappointed with the dance contests though, as they seemed to be more of a popularity contest than a fun test of dance skill. The night I attended there was an older couple on the dance floor that danced bachata beautifully together. They clearly were good dancers, but they lost to one of the Iberostar dancers who was dancing with a guest. The “winning” couple was doing mostly suggestive dance moves that required very little dancing skill.

Environment: From Monday through Wednesday the resort is quiet, peaceful and relaxing. But it seems starting on Thursday afternoon, the whole atmosphere changes. This is when the locals begin to stream into the hotel for the long weekend. Although I have absolutely no problem with locals frequenting their own resort, I do have a problem with the behavior of the majority of them. They come in large groups and they are very loud and rude. Their children are allowed to run around the pool area unsupervised, they don’t wear the proper pool attire which is unhygienic, and they are constantly in the pool with drinks and food. When I saw a couple of the resort employees try to talk with them regarding resort rules, they were extremely rude to them and in one case completely disregarded their directions. It seems that maybe more security is needed at these times to ensure that all rules are followed and that the rights of other guests to enjoy their well deserved vacations are not infringed upon.

One personal example was when my family and I were in the dining room for dinner and were waiting in line to serve ourselves. People were constantly stepping in front of us grabbing plates and food, cutting the line. One woman even stepped in front of us in line snatched the serving tongs out of my sister’s hands, served herself and then left! We were left speechless at the lack of manners. I often saw people eating out of the serving dishes with their hands…not even using the utensils, which I promptly reported to the serving staff. Perhaps some security or more supervision in the dining room would also be appropriate? Bottom line is…something seriously needs to be done to address this issue.

As I stated in the beginning of my review, my family has been repeat guests of this resort for the last five years. And it has been mainly the wonderful employees of the resort and the friends that we have made in Puerto Plata that has kept us coming back. We love the entertainment team: Quimo, Aris, Shakira and Gigi. Our favorite dining room staff: Jose Luis, Jocelyn, Jocelin, Cesarin, Camilo, Joan and Dulce. The great bar staff: Eddy, Julian, William and Elvis and of course the great Reception and Guest Services Staff: Melvin, Francisco, Aneudy and Mario. We are constantly impressed with their friendliness and their excellent service.

In spite of the great employees, if the management of this resort continues to allow the guest experience to decline they will lose star ratings… and we American, British, Canadian and other outside tourist groups will spend our hard earned money and vacation time elsewhere. I sincerely doubt that such a hotel can be maintained by the revenue generated by weekend locals, so I hope that the comments of all of us are taken seriously.

11 Thank IJai
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, hotel Manager, we thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel for your vacations and also for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay among us.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about the new attractions we have recently opened such as our Orchid Garden and new fountains as well as the excellent service provided by our friendly staff, among them all those members you named in the review and our Star Band and DJ. In Iberostar we aim to provide the best service to our valuable costumers as you well know after five stays.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for all and any inconveniences you might have experience. We will forward the aforementioned comments to all relevant department heads as to ensure that service is up to Iberostar standards. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel.
We are here waiting for your next visit so we can show you our improvements; please do not hesitate to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was the 4th time traveling to the Caribbean and the 1st time it has been very disappointing.

It started with a too-long wait in a short line in front of the check-in counter in a hot lobby.

Then the hotel clerk misinformed us saying internet would cost either $7 per hour or $13 per day. We figured paying $13 every day would be too expensive so we decided to take it only 2 of the 7 days. THE DAY BEFORE we checked out we found out by chance that we could have had internet for the entire week for only $60! We would have taken the weekly rate because we had to communicate with family back home.

We had more than a dozen meals in the main buffet. Every lunch or dinner the waiter would ask if we wanted red or white wine. We often chose one and were never charged for it. However after we finished the dessert of the last dinner we ate they brought us a bill for the wine for what looked like $15.00 US. We had it charged to our room.

When we checked out the next morning they had the audacity to tell us it was 1500 pesos which equaled $41 US !! This was blatant deception – the waiter never told us at any time there would be a charge for the wine this particular time – if he did we would have definitely said NO. We complained and the assistant manager came and said the house wine is free but they also have a wine list – she showed us the list with prices. We told her we DID NOT ask for wine from the list and the waiter NEVER showed us the list AT ANY TIME. We were shocked and disgusted at being victims of sheer manipulation by the place that was supposed to take good care of us for the week!!

The assistant manager said the amount was already charged to our credit card and the manager was not around so it was too late to do anything about it?!

We also lost at least 3 days of enjoyment due to locals filling the place on the weekends and the hotel turning a blind eye to their gross conduct - especially in the buffets and the pool. Other international tourists as well as us retreated to our hotel rooms, the beach, or excursions to cope with the awful situation.

The hotel had a lifeguard at the beach. If people went in the water outside of hotel property he quickly went to them and told them to come back. But the hotel had no lifeguard at the pool and allowed people to do what they wanted there. People dove in the pool right beside No Diving signs and dove in dangerously close to people already in the pool. Others yelled or whistled non-stop. People splashed on you as they swam by. Large groups monopolized the jacuzzi for hours – the hotel allowed all of this and more.

On the hotel property portion of the beach, several persistent peddlers roamed back and forth all day long every day trying to convince you to buy their rubbish. The same peddlers would harass you incessantly day after day and the hotel allowed it. If you went in the ocean, peddlers would stand for several minutes on the sand in front of you waiting for you to come out – disgusting!!

At the buffet, my wife and daughter tried to get food while I stayed at our table so no one else would take it. They would come back with barely anything on their plates because of the pushing, crowding, and cutting in lines. The hotel allowed it. I then had to go and bring back for my family the food they really wanted but could not even get close to.

We certainly did not get anywhere near our money’s worth on this vacation and will never stay at this hotel again. Other international tourists we spoke to when we left said the same thing. We work too hard to save up money for a vacation to be ripped off like this. Now we have to wait a whole year to go somewhere else and enjoy ourselves.

15 Thank TravelingFamily892
Dear guest,
Thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada as the destination for your family holiday and for taking the time to post a review.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we would like to express how much we regret to read that your holidays among us were disporting due to the extra cost wine. We would like to clarify that the client has to sign the bill in order for us to charge anything to room such as internet, wine or non-inclusive services. According to our records, you voluntarily sign the wine command and therefore agree to accept the extra charge to your room. Nowadays, the majority of adults read carefully what they sign to prevent misunderstanding.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences related to your stay and regret not having been notified of your discomfort with our services and premises whilst you were among us. We have sent your feedback to the corresponding departments in order to do our outmost to evaluate our performance according to our standards.
We remain at your entire disposition for any further assistance.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was my first time in puerto plata and we got a super good deal on the hotel. It is the perfect resort to go if you want to have fun but still enjoy some relaxation. The resort is about 15 minutes away from the airport which is awesome, once we arrived we were greeted with drinks and were checked in very quickly, we were then escorted to our room in a golf cart. The room was spacious, clean and up to date. We stayed in the 5000 block facing away from the ocean but our view from the balcony was still stunning. We only went to the pool once on the day of our arrival which was nice however it was full of kids, we spent the rest of our vacation on the beach which had few children and was not too far from any bar. The resort offers a variety of games all day long they have something going every 30 minutes which is nice if you want to get up and do something but you can still sit back relax and just enjoy the sun. The beach was clean although there was a little seaweed when you first got in the water. There were guys looking to book excursions ALL the time which was really annoying as they didn't understand when you said no you meant no, but it did not ruin my vacation at all. The food was pretty good, I am a picky eater and had no problem finding something to eat. The service at the hotel was very good. The shows were fun to watch there was only one I didn't really enjoy but I was happy with the rest. The only thing that is annoying about the resort is that the locals FLOOD the resort on weekends, which makes it a lot more packed however they mostly stay by the pool but the buffet is crazy at night. My suggestion would be to do what we did which was to book our a la carte restaurants and do an excursion on the Sunday so that we did not feel the overcrowding. I had a great time and would recommend this hotel to my friends as a hotel where you can still have fun but can relax I definitely would not recommend it as a party resort however I enjoyed my stay :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Laura P
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear guests,
On the behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, and the whole team, we thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our premises for your vacations.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that your visit to our premises was memorable due to the friendliness of our staff, our exquisite gastronomy, the beauty of our premises and the wide options for daily and nightly entertainment. In Iberostar we aim to ensure unforgettable stays to our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. please do not hesitate to contact us prior your return.
With best regards,
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!