“My Parents 40th Anniversary Family Vacation!!!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Greers Ferry, Arkansas, United States
“My Parents 40th Anniversary Family Vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

With our busy everyday lives, it's hard to get our entire family together all at once, but Iberostar Helped make this happen for us and we had an amazing time here! The Star Staff were absolutely incredible as well and they all work such long hard hours, but still show their guests a great time and make the experience even that much more enjoyable. We are still praying for Julio (Baby Face) and we truly hope he is recovering!! It was so sad to hear of his accident while we were there because he put a big smile on all of our faces :) We would like to make special thanks to Jonathan, Pepsi, GG, DEE DEE, Conny, Maria, Hulu Hulu, Popeye, Baby face as well, and the cleaning crew, bar tenders, Alexander at the front desk, and the list goes on with the warm welcomes everyone gave us! The food, entertainment, & drinks were all great, and the resort amenities kept us entertained with the pretty views of the ocean as well. My husband and I got a message from Angela & Carolina at the Spa at the resort and it was FANTASTIC!! Thank you ladies for helping us relax!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing Iberostar for your family holidays.
In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we want to express how glad we are to know that you and your whole family had a memorable holiday among us due to the friendliness of our staff members especially by our Star Friends. We have shared your motivating lines with the staff members you named in the review. In Iberostar we want to ensure an unforgettable visit to our guests.
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
Yours Sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Port Elgin, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort April 18-21, 2013 and we had a great time. The food was wonderful and there was always a great variety, we especially loved the barbecues on the beach for lunch. We only managed to get into the Brazilian A la carte though which was great but it would have been nice to try one of the others but they were all booked 15 minutes after the desk opened apparently.

I'm not usually a huge fan of the activities during a vacation but played in a few at the pool and Maria and the other workers made sure we all had a fun time. The rooms were always clean and we had no complaints on that, the washrooms were nice and big as were the balconies. We had a corner room though so not sure if that made a huge difference.We had a problem with the room safe and the front desk had someone to our room in 10 minutes to fix it. The grounds of the resort were very nice as was the wildlife which is a nice touch and all the areas feel very spacious.

The shows at night were entertaining and the disco was great. Good music and good drinks. It was nice to have options with drinks as opposed to just the cheap drinks.

All in all we had a great time and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation. We're going back with my parents at the start of July and are looking forward to another great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon P
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience with us. On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, hotel Manager, we also thank you choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holidays.
We are very pleased to acknowledge your positive comments referring our beautiful premises, our varied gastronomy, the friendliness of our staff and the wide options for daily and nightly entertainment proposed by our Star Friends. In Iberostar the kindness of our staff is one of the basic value for which we want to be known, we have congratulated Maria for making your holiday better.
We will be happy to welcome you back again, feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

As my title say's..we have been coming to this resort for many years and have experienced lotsa change. We just got back from a 2 week stay and saw both good and bad ...
On a whole we still enjoyed ourselves immensely. We are also active early 50's...like to both relax & walk on the beach...really don't bother with the organized activities too much. We leave the resort for day trips and to visit friends.
The good...the ponds and fountains are being upgraded and expanded. They look gorgeous.
Food in the buffet was delicious. The staff in the buffet are always wonderful also.
The gym has more equipment..albeit old..but usable. I just wish they would at least include a workout ball!! The band on the beach and in the foyer at night were fantastic!! Very talented...
The majority of the staff are extremely nice. It's great to see a lot of the same faces every year!

The not so good...the pool needs an upgrade...the specialty restaurants that you reserve were not as good as in the past...we had a problem with ants and called 3 times for someone to spray no one responded at all. We have always had a bug or 2..it's expected.No biggie and never had to complain in the past. But this time we really had a lot of ants..I ended up using my personal bug spray to spray the perimeter of room to stop them!!
They really got cheap with refilling the refrigerator. My husband may have a beer every other afternoon or so..it's not like we are raging alcoholics. We arrived to (2) Presidente's ( which he likes) a couple waters..and the rest diet coke!! I left a note for the maid asking that no more diet soda be left, just regular coke We return that day to find the Presidente' GONE...replaced by Light Brahma beer ( blech')...and MORE diet Coke. Finally called the desk for some regular soda..we got it one day!! The beer wasn't replaced the entire stay no matter how much we asked!! ( in spanish and english) Also had to refill the big water bottles myself at pool bar because we were never left replacement ( for brushing teeth etc...) The whole incident was really upsetting...so not the service we have always been used to!! Especially with the rise in price every year...
The resort guards used to keep vendors off the beach...but now they just walk up to you all the time for tours and time shares! Annoying...
The hot tubs in spa were both cold...and shower area was dirty. There was a hut that offered massages outside the spa area....everytime I went over to reserve one it was empty :(
Lounges and little tables at beach need to be washed down at least every couple weeks..they were FILTHY! I'm talking bird excrement...spilled drinks..etc... Not just typical beach sand. We are not Prima Donas by any means. And a lot of broken ones needing replacement.
The clothing shop was gone...taken over by the jewelry shop that shared the photos...
Photo session was awesome again!! Love those pics every year!
The shows need a major overhaul. We've been seeing the same stuff for year after year. We looked forward to the show about the movies..cause we always enjoyed how they did it...and THAT was the one they changed!! And not for the better ( sadly)
The people in the shows are extremely hard working and do their very best. It's the show itself that's just old.
All in all...we still had a wonderful vacation as always. The things I have mentioned may not even bother some people....it bothered us due to the fact we consider the resort our home away from home. And we are used to different circumstances. ( especially having to literally beg for our refrigerator items...that so cheapened the experience)
But we will be back next year, and hopefully these reviews are read.
Raising prices and then lowering amenities and customer service is never a good idea!!
I really hate leaving negative remarks about a place we have come to love ...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JERZEEEEEEEEEEEEE
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for posting a review about your recent experience among us and for your loyalty towards Iberostar Costa Dorada as your holiday’s destination.
We appreciate your positive valuation about the friendliness of our staff, the variety of our nightly themed buffet, the music played by our Star Band and the refurbishment we have been doing to our grounds. One of our guiding principles is to upkeep our premises. Likewise, we welcome your feedback in the areas where we do need to double our efforts. We would like to extend apologies for any and all inconveniences that you experiences during your vacation at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our hotel. We regret though not having heard them personally while you were at our grounds. We have shared them with the corresponding departmental heads.
We will be glad to welcome you back and show you our improvements and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your next visit.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Where do I start?
We usually read other people’s reviews before booking any trip and this time we though being an Ibersotar with 4.5 stars it would be great. We just were not happy with the experience.
My boyfriend and I just came back from a 6 nights, 7 days stay (5/27- 6/2) at this resort. The price we paid, we expected a bit more. This is our second Ibersotar experience and we are not happy. This is my 3 trip to DR and I have stayed all 3 times at different resorts and this time I was not so happy. When we got to the resort, our first impression was good, the decor in the lobby, reception area and the pool area where they have turtles, flamingos and ducks are so different and interesting to watch. Service at the front desk was fast and with a smile.
The room: The room was old and small, but I give it a pass because we just need the room to sleep. The bed was good, we slept well. The bathroom was not the greatest need some work. We stay in the 7000 block on the 3rd floor which had a view of the pool; the noise from the pool did not bother us at all. I think the air conditioning systems seriously need an upgrade. The room was never cold it was always warm. The cleaning services did a great job cleaning the rooms daily.
Food: The food at the El Mercado (main buffet) was not the greatest but there are days when you find something you really enjoy. Our last evening we had grilled lobster, we really enjoyed that.
The A la cartes sucks big time. Who wants a buffet (it would have been great if we were served instead) with appetizers? Then they bring the entree out to you depending on what you ordered.
We tried all 3 A la cartes and not one hit the spot. The Mexican I ordered a shrimp entree terrible, 2 days later we went to the El Bohio (international seafood) I ordered another shrimp entree with cane sugar rum. You know what I got the exact entree I got at the Mexican I was served at the international. I must say the fruits and the juices were amazing I really enjoyed that more than anything else. We had lots of ice cream cones at the pool bar. The beach paella was great I enjoyed that. I want to say that Bonny at the main buffet was very good at serving us, always have a smile on his face.
As for the drinks we did not even get a buzz from the drinks. Mind you we are only social drinkers. They were so watered down unbelievable. They claim to have top shelf liquor that is not true at all. I don’t mind drinking the local rum but it’s watered down. The pina coladas tasted like virgin pina coladas. We are on vacation and we need to feel like we are on a vacation, we just didn’t get that here. We wanted to get a bit tipsy.
Entertainment: They did a great job with the shows; we enjoy every one of them. The disco was so dead. We danced to 2 songs and that was it.
Beach: We love the beach, except for it being a bit windy. But I love the little huts; the water temp was just perfect.
Grounds: The grounds are well kept, peacocks, flamingos, turtles, ducks, and orchid gardens. It is beautiful just to walk around and take it all in. Our overall experience was ok but not great. We are definitely not coming back here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to post a review about your experience at Iberostar Costa Dorada.
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, we regret to acknowledge that despite your positive valuation of our friendly staff, the cleanness of our premises and the variety of our nightly buffet, your expectations about an unforgettable experience based on your visits to other Iberostar hotels were not met and we could not ensure you a pleasant holiday.
We would like to strongly state though that alcohol used to make cocktails and drinks is by no mean adulterated and you always have the possibility to ask out barmen to add more alcohol into your cocktails as our goal is to please our guests’ needs.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance and kindly invite you to visit any of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I went to this resort on April 28- May 5 with a group of ten people (aged 21) and it was a great time! The weather was wonderful as well- only one day of rain. I'll review each aspect separately:

*Service- This was one of the only irritating things about the vacation. It was almost IMPOSSIBLE to get service at the bars and restaurants. On the weekends locals would come to the resort and would always get served before you. During the week, the staff did NOT want to help you. At the lobby bar you would wait ten minutes for a drink and they would purposely do other things instead of serving you (even if you tipped, we tipped generously at first and stopped when we realized we were getting lousy service either way), and in the restaurants staff were nowhere to be found (we usually ate at dirty tables since they never cleaned them). There was one staff member who worked some days during the dinner hour and always made sure we had a table for ten- I wish I remembered his name but he was wonderful. At the A la carts we would wait THREE HOURS for our dinner.. The only people who served us well were the animation team (Julio was amazing!!) and the maids.

*Entertainment- This aspect was very good. The shows were pretty good, the animation team was a lot of fun! Lots of sports and activities to do during the day. We did the Xtreme adventure, it was a lot of fun! Highly recommend. Also the club is very cool! The DJ will only play spanish stuff unless you make requests, but once we did the entire dance floor was full!

*Resort- gorgeous resort!! The beach was OK overall (seaweed, heavy tides, rocks etc). Vendors would come and bother you ALL the time and try to sell you things... it was irritating but manageable. You also have to pay 2$ a day for the safe, which I thought was ridiculous and unnecessary .. They have lunch paella on the beach, it was amazing go to it!!

*Food- skip the a la carts, the buffet is where the amazing food is. The only a la carte we enjoyed was the brazilian. Also- a bunch of us got sick from the food so bring imodium/bepto and it won't ruin your holiday!

Overall a very good trip. The only problem with this resort was the restaurant/bar service I'd say.

Room Tip: You honestly can't go wrong with your room choice. Best view would be a top floor room overlooki...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very pleased to read that despite some issues your experience at our hotel premises was memorable as we aim in Iberostar. We have congratulated Julio for making your stay especial.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences related to the service provided by our team at the bar and restaurants. We have shared your feedback with our Food and Beverage Manager so we can take the appropriated measures to improve this area.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

The food was excellent but the pool should be closed down immediately. The corners of the pool were green and a man was cleaning it with hundreds of people in the pool. The music is uncensored and my party had a three-year old with us so that was very unsettling. Overall, it was an okay experience but this hotel is definitely a three-star one. One last thing, if you are afraid of peacocks, I would suggest not eating in the snack bar by the pool because they roam around there.

Room Tip: Higher floor better
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelvin Q
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about our exquisite and varied gastronomy. In Iberostar one of our strengths is our exquisite cuisine.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for the inconveniences related to the music played in the property and for your dissatisfaction with the presence of peacocks and the cleanness of our pool. We would like to clarify though that our pool is constantly monitored by an external company (Saniconsult- hygiene consulter) and evaluated by sanitary inspectors in the Dominican Republic as well as inspectors from worldwide well-known Tour Operators which have found nothing irregular with our pool. However, we will increase our effort in this area.
We invite you to visit us after our pool refurbishment in October and we remain at your entire disposition for further assistance.
Waverly, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada from 16 May, 2013 - 26 May, 2013. We have experienced other all-inclusive vacations in Mexico and the Caribbean that we enjoyed due to various outstanding aspects of the resorts, such as food, rooms, service, etc. However, we both agree that our stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada is the best experience we have had in all categories. The grounds were beautiful, the beach was quiet and lovely and clean, the room was very comfortable, spacious, and always cleaned meticulously by Sra. Ines (she also left flowers and chocolates), the resort offered a diverse array of tasty food in the main restaurant as well as in the specialty restaurants (our favorite was the seafood) and at the beach grill-outs that occurred on the weekends. We enjoyed the lobster that was served a couple times per week (and at beach grill-out), fried plantains, beautifully crafted desserts, a large array of cheeses, and wonderful fresh fruit that was served daily. The service in every part of the resort was consistently attentive and efficient. Also, the people the worked at the resort appeared to genuinely enjoy speaking with us and their smiles and kindness were a priceless part of our happy experience. Everyone was diplomatically tolerant of my rather poor Spanish and encouraged me to keep learning.

We would like to thank the new manager for his attentiveness to alterations made to the grounds to accommodate handicapped guests (another couple who had stayed there many times - Michael and Cricket from Washington state U.S.A.- told us about the new manager and the many excellent changes he has made).

We would like to point out some great staff who helped to make our stay quite enjoyable: At the front desk - Kilvio and Andreina, at the lobby bar - Yorki, at the beach bar - Juan, in the beach towel cabana - Jonathan, in the main dining room - Roberto and Katia and in the lunch area - Yera and as we mentioned before - the lovely lady who cleaned our room - Ines (she was so kind and amiable). We even had an opportunity to attend Rebublica Dominicana Fashion Week due to help from Andreina who secured VIP passes for us to attend some of the nights of this exciting event. We got a couples massage provided by Angela and Fior, which was absolutely amazing. Also, a man who was allowed to sell hand-painted t-shirts on the grounds ("Charlie" - Eusebio Rodriguez) was someone we enjoyed talking with about baseball and about life in Puerto Plata. I don't understand the folks who didn't enjoy this resort - every aspect of the grounds and every aspect of service was great. We have never made a repeat trip to an all-inclusive resort but we are definitely going to return to this one.

A couple suggestions would be to provide free Wi-Fi and the room safe free of charge to guests - this is a fairly standard service in many all-inclusives and it may encourage a wider variety of guests to stay there. Danny and Andrea Baker of Waverly, TN U.S.A.

Room Tip: 1211 - Beach front room in Building 1 - 3rd floor - the upgrade cost of150.00 for ten nights was wel...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We want to express how pleased we are to read that your expectations regarding our excellent service and quality of our gastronomy were met and your holidays was “memorable” according to the title of your review. In Iberostar we aim to ensure unforgettable experiences to our valuable costumers with the excellent service of our friendly staff as Kilvio, Andreina, Yorki, Juan, Jonathan, Inés, Yera, Roberto, Angela, Fior and Katia for making your stay especial.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire dispositionfor further assistance prior your arrival.