“Beautiful site” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal, Canada
“Beautiful site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a great hotel approximately 500 rooms in 9 buildings all situated central to everything maximum 3 min walk anywhere you go!
The hotel is 15 years old but tremendously well maintained.
The rooms are very clean daily.
The food is very good and great variety.
The entertainement staff is very hardworking friendly people.
The hotel does a lot of different things to please guests, like often BBQ by the pool with lobster and langoustine grilled, or a beach bbq with a wonderful pailla (shrimp rice delicious).
The pool is large for the amount of rooms and never crowded.
The site is so beautiful with hundreds of palm trees around the pool and flamingos around the lobby and bar and beautiful peacocks walking around the site.
The beach is very long to walk and quite pleasant when not to windy, the ocean is nice in different spots with clear water and not many waves, but in other spots seaweed.
This is a family hotel with mostly Canadians, Germans and British!
I stayed for 2 weeks and found it a relaxing place with good nightly shows and beautiful lobby bar!
If you get a great price well snap it up fast like i did $1395.00 for 2 weeks of pleasure in April 2013 and 13.5 days of sun out of 14 (can't ask for more) This is the nicest hotel in puerto plata (50 plus hotels) Overall i give it a 4.5 star!

Room Tip: I recommend 9,8 close to everything and swimming pool view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian J
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to thank you for taking time to post a review about your holiday at the Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel and for choosing our premises for your vacation.
Thank you for highlighting the excellent service of our staff member, the beauty of our premises and the varied gastronomy of our gastronomy offered in our three a la carte restaurants and nightly themed buffet. In Iberostar those are part of our guiding principle in order to ensure our beloved guest an unforgettable holiday.
We kindly invite you to visit us again and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your next visit.
Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,209)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Timmins, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at this resort from April 17 - 24, 2013.
It was our second visit there.
They have done a lot of renovations on the rooms, lobby and grounds since we were there in April 2011.
With the flamingos, and addition of the turtles, and ducks in the pond by the lobby it was very relaxing.
This resort is a safe, secure place to go, and they provide bottle water, beer and coke in the mini fridge. They also leave a large bottle of water, and when it gets low, they automatically leave another one.
We found the food different this time, they now have a Mexican cook., but there was a lot of choice.
They have a great choice for children also at the beach buffet and the main buffet.
We are seniors, but did not have any stomach issues, however we did not eat any of the lettuces.
The housekeeping is good, no bugs. They do fumigate the rooms, ours was done the day before we left.
They also have a half of dozen of peacocks that wander around.
This resort was not as quiet as our first visit though.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank Shorty823
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear guests,
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, hotel Manager, we thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your recent experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel once again for you vacations.
We want to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge your positive valuation about the refurbishment we have been doing to our premises, the variety of our gastronomy and the excellent service provided by our staff. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our grounds.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada from April 9th to the 16th. Check in was quick, our room was ready before 3 and we had a bell boy take us and luggage to our room which was nice not have to carry them up to the third floor. The grounds were nice and well kept. The pool is quite large and was never crowded. The FOOD was amazing soooooo much to choose from!!!! The entertainment staff were excellent. I never seen a team with so much energy from morning to night.They are truly gems! The shows were well done, it was the first time we had a live band playing at the shows. It was the first time I felt like I was apart of a family. I would recommend this resort to anyone. I can't wait to make another trip back!

3 Thank Cathy H
Dear Guest,
We thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, hotel Manager, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that from the first moment you came into our hotel you felt as a “Star” due to the excellent service of our staff and our varied cuisine. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to provide the best service to our “stars” on vacation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for further assistance before your arrival.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

My mom and I stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorado from April 16th to the 23rd. From the moment we arrived we were amazed by the beautiful resort and the friendliness of the staff. There was always a wide variety of food and the quality of the food was fantastic (the snack bar had enough options for a full lunch!). The Brazilian restaurant was our favorite, so definitely try to get a reservation there ☺

Roberto was a kind and generous host to us throughout our stay. He worked behind the bar, waiting tables, setting up weddings, and doing MANY other jobs around the site. He was very professional and took the time to make sure all of the guests were happy. Thank you for all your hard work Roberto!

The Iberostar provided various entertainment and games throughout the day. The evening shows were very well done from the Star Band, to the elaborate sets, to the beautiful dancing/acting. There was 1 entertainment staff that stood out to us during our trip; Dee-Dee was so enthusiastic and friendly. She got us to play the crazy games, learn Spanish, stretch on the beach, and do dance lessons. Dee-Dee's energy was contagious and we loved her!

The ONLY thing to note is that the beach can get pretty windy. If you go in the morning than you can have plenty of time on the beach before the wind picks up midday. If you want to go boating, then I highly suggest going in the morning.

Overall it was a phenomenal trip. My mother and I were so impressed by Iberostar’s high standards and their desire to make every guest’s stay enjoyable.

3 Thank Kimmy H
Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales, we want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel to enjoy your holidays.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that your holidays among us were memorable due to the beauty of our hotel premises, the variety of our gastronomy, the excellent service provided by our friendly staff and the amount of daily and nightly activities proposed by our Star Friends. In Iberostar we aim to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star” during vacations as Roberto and Dee Dee made you feel with their service and friendliness.
We will be happy to welcome you back; please do not hesitate to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at ICD from April 14th to 21st with my husband and teenage son. We traveled there for a family wedding.
The airport was a little chaotic. As soon as we stepped outside, a porter grabbed our luggage and took off across the parking lot. We had to yell at him to stop, since we were travelling with a large group and wanted to stay together. When we got to our bus, he DEMANDED a tip from my husband. The guy who carried our luggage 2 feet and put it on the bus told us “We all work for tips, so you pay me now.” Excuse me?? I will tip only if I want to. I told my husband in front of the guy that we will carry our own luggage from now on. We quickly grabbed our luggage away from them when we reached the resort.
Check in at the resort was pretty chaotic, though I think that’s because there were so many people trying to check in at once. We ended up dealing with two different people, one who took off with my husband’s passport, which was a little unnerving. In the end, we got checked in and a bell hop took us to our room. He was very polite and did help us carry luggage since we were on the 2nd floor. We tipped him and he was genuinely thankful.
The room was very nice and clean. There was towel art and flowers there waiting for us, which was a nice touch. We had a cot brought in for our son, which was very comfortable. The room was a little damp smelling, but that’s because they have like 200% humidity there! We found the room to be very spacious, despite having 3 beds. We had a very nice view of the pool from our balcony. The only downside to the room was that there was no screen on the balcony door, so you couldn’t leave it open to let the breeze in because you would let all the bugs in. Because of the humidity, the room was always damp, including the bedsheets.
The resort was beautiful! Very nice, mature landscaping. The grounds were very well kept and had many water fountain/pond features. Having some of the plants and trees labeled with their name was a nice touch. It’s nice to know what the native plants are. The buildings’ colours and architecture were beautiful as well. The lobby area was amazing! There was a large lobby bar and lots of open, spread out seating. There were tables and chairs, as well as lots of benches, couches, etc to relax on. They also had the pond where the flamingoes, ducks and turtles lived in the middle of the bar/seating area.
One feature that is a must see is the beautiful orchid garden. It is enclosed by a fence and greenery. They have grafted many types of orchids onto trees and they are beautiful! The orchid garden also has a pond and waterfall.

There are peacocks that live on the resort as well. They roam around freely. They can be loud sometimes when they are calling each other, but they are quiet at night. They are very entertaining to watch!

The service at the resort was good. Our maid always did a wonderful job of cleaning our room. We had towel art and fresh flowers every day. Most days it took until mid to late afternoon to have it cleaned, which was a bit of a pain when my son wanted to spend a few hours in the room out of the heat, but all in all we managed.
The service at the lobby bar was ok. Others have said that you only got quick service if you flashed money, and for the most part, that was true. They definitely did cater to the people who had money in their hand. But, I didn’t mind waiting for the most part and did tip sometimes. The drinks were excellent for the most part. There was only one night when they were really watered down. The rest of the time, they were great! Really enjoyed the Coco Locos. The waitresses were always going around collecting empty glasses, but would only bring you a drink if you tipped them.
The service in the main buffet was hit and miss. They always came around quickly to fill the water glasses when you first sat down, but it was difficult to get any other kind of drink. It took forever to get, and was often not right when you got it. The problem seemed to be that there was not enough wait staff for the volume of guests. It seemed tough for them to keep up.

The food at the resort was very good. There was always lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. The breads were to die for. They always had lots of “fresh cooking” stations at every meal. You could get your meat, pastas and much more cooked fresh while you waited. There were many seafood dishes every day. I am not able to eat seafood, so my choices were very limited. I ate mostly garden salad, veggies and rice. The rest of our group could eat seafood and they all said it was very good. You do have to watch though…most of the dishes are clearly labeled, but some were not.

There is a dress code when you go to the main buffet. You aren’t able to wear your bathing suit in the main buffet, even if it’s dry. At dinner, men have to wear a shirt with sleeves..no tank tops allowed. They have someone at the door at all times and the dress code is enforced. I saw them turning people away. I personally like the dress code. It doesn’t hurt people to be respectful of others and put some clothes on to go eat. That way you don’t have to sit and eat beside someone with everything hanging out, or hair everywhere. At the a la carte restaurants, men have to wear pants and a shirt with sleeves. I did see some men get in with jeans.

The beach was beautiful with nice blue water. There was tons of room on the beach with lots of loungers and sun shades. It did seem like that area of beach was very windy while we were there. There was lots of sand whipping around, so you had to sit with your back to the water if you didn’t want to get sandblasted. The water was rough and there was lots of seaweed on the beach. There were some reefs very close to shore, where you could stand and see the fish swimming around. That was a neat experience.
We found that the beach itself was quite dirty. There were lots of leaves, sticks, garbage and cigarette butts on the sand. I never once saw anyone cleaning the beach.
We spent the first few days on the beach, then decided not to go back. The people on the beach soliciting you are like rabid dogs!! They are absolutely terrible! They hound you for everything from getting your hair beaded, tours, them walking you down to the market, to massages, etc. I actually had some of them stand in front of me so I couldn’t walk away. When you walk down to the beach you can see 4 of them at a time running towards you like a pack of dogs. They also come right up to where you are sitting on your lounger and harass you. We had one guy come up to where we were sitting and hound us to buy a tour. He finally gave up after we all said no 3 times. But he proceeded to stand like 5 feet away from us for the next 2 hours! He stared at us the whole time, which was kinda creepy, listened to and even butted into, our conversations. When my mother in law said she was going to the beach bar, he even asked her to bring him back some water!
Another couple we went with walked down the beach and had a child ask them to bring him a plate of food back in exchange for a seashell.
We walked down to the market one day and it was the most terrible experience I’ve ever had! There are no words to describe how awful they are. They yell at you and do everything but physically drag you into their shops. I even had some of them become angry and yell at me when I said no to going into their shop. My advice….buy your stuff in the gift shop at the resort.
I do understand that these people are trying to make a living. But I paid good money to go to the resort and have a good time and relax..not be harassed every time I turned around. And the same people would hound you every day, even though you already said no 5 times.
People have written that it’s not the resort’s fault, but it is. That section of beach is for their resort and their guests. They can stop their guests from being harassed, especially since those people are coming up onto resort property to do it. When we stayed in Cuba, those people were not allowed on the beach period. You could actually sit and enjoy the beach.
The purpose of our trip was for a family wedding. The resort did an amazing job of setting up the ceremony on the beach! Though it would have been nice if they had sectioned off that small portion for that half hour. We had people sitting right on the path the wedding party walked down. But, thankfully there’s photoshop to remove them! The ceremony was beautiful and they set up a wonderful table for us at the outdoor International restaurant.
While we were there, we went on the Outback Safari Tour. What an amazing tour! You really don’t get to see a country while you’re sitting on the resort. The tour showed us the “real” Dominican Republic…which really opened our eyes to how those people live. They took us part way up the mountain into the “rural” areas around Puerto Plata. We saw the average, poorer areas and visited a typical house and plantation. Most of the people there have no running water or hydro. We visited a local school, which was a good experience for my son. He came home appreciating what he has a little more. If you go to the Dominican, you really need to take this tour. It was only $79US per person, and a part of the fee goes to support the local school and community. Our tour guides Jose and Mario were amazing.
All in all, we had a wonderful vacation and could overlook most of the issues. I would definitely visit the ICD again in the future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LoriK79
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear guest,
First at all, we would like to thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay among us to attend your family wedding.
In the name of Mr. Pedro Morales, Hotel Manager, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that you and your family enjoyed from a “great vacation” as you entitled your review. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable experiences to our valuable costumers. We appreciate your positive valuation about our premises, our varied gastronomy and our daily and nightly entertainment options.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences regarding the beach wedding ceremony, the issue with the vendors at the beach, the cleanness of the sand at our beach and the service provided by our team at the restaurants and bars. We welcome your suggestions and have shared them with the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate their performance and deliver the level of service expected by our “Stars” on vacation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
Kind regards,
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We just spent a week at Iberostar Costa Dorada and loved it. A beautiful resort with a great beach, fabulous pool, fun entertainement,delicious food and fabulous staff - especially Nelson in the buffet dining room and Angela in the spa. These two individuals made our vacation so much better I cannot say enough about them.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank Doglovers105
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear guests,
On behalf of Mr. Pedro Morales, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holidays and for posting a review about your experience.
We appreciate your positive valuation about our exquisite gastronomy, beautiful premises, daily and nightly entertainment and the excellent service from our friendly staff, especially from Angela and Nelson (for which we have congratulated them). In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable holidays to our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for further assistance prior your next visit.
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at ICD from Apr. 8-22. This was our 2nd time at an Iberostar resort. We stayed at the Punta Cana location in 2011. Overall we enjoyed this resort. Yes, it is getting a bit dated but we felt everything was quite well maintained and definately clean. The staff were great throughout the resort. Special thanks to our housekeeper Celenia who took good care of our room, not to mention a well stocked fridge. We stayed in the 6000 block which had a great view of the beach. The food was very good with, we felt, lots of variety.We loved to take long walks on the beach from Costa Dorada where this property is located, all the way to Playa Dorada, a few kms East. We took in several of the nightly shows put on by the Star Freinds. They were very enjoyable. You see these folks working at various venues during the day and then putting on a show at night. They definately work very hard as do all the staff at this resort. We only took one excursion. A trip into Puerto Plata seeing various sights and a ride on the cable car. What a spectacular view! This trip was our 8th to the Caribbean and we would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a good time at a realistic price!

Room Tip: If you like a good view of the beach, blocks 1, 5 & 6 are good choices and the 2nd floor offers...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,
We thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for posting your experience at Iberostar Costa Dorada on Tripadvisor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Pedro Morales; we would like to express how glad we are to acknowledge that our value for money and the excellent service provided by our staff in all areas of our premises has ensured you another memorable experience in an Iberostar hotel. We have communicated Celenia that her service made you feel as a “Star” as we aim in our hotel chain.
We are looking forward to welcome you once again; please do not hesitate to contact us before your next vacation.
With best regards,