I travelled with my husband the middle of September and must admit there are very few negatives to report.
-flew with Sunwing arrived by 11am but could not get a room until 3pm. since the resort was not full we thought they could have been more flexible on getting the room ready early.We did get a bracelet right away so we could eat and drink but lost a day on the beach because we had nowhere to put the passports etc.
-Buffet restaurant was excellent quality, drinks were refilled often
-Brazilian and Mexican a la cartes were fantastic, but seafood restaurant was disappointing
-beach was good, seaweed was present sometimes but they made an effort to clean it up
-no problem getting a beach chair in the shade even in the afternoon
-beach vendors tried to get you into the market but they would leave you alone if you insist you are just walking
-we went on the trip up the mountain by cable car (telerifico) it was an amazing view, not so sure about the ride down I was in the middle of 21 people with nothing to hold on to and desperately trying not to bump the solldiers rifles next to me, still it added to the adventure! Then went to the amber museum and the Brugal rum factory TIP buy your rum here its cheaper than the duty free
-the spa was heavenly my husband had the hot stone massage and I had aromatherapy the ladies were amazing
-Lobby bar was great but really toasty at night, not much breeze in there, drinks were good quality and premium liquor available if you ask for it
-snack bar was handy and good selection of food close to the beach plus the bartender was very entertaining (and get ready to catch your cervezas as they come sailing along the bar at high speed-good fun)
-we didnt see many shows as the theatre was under renos for most of the week but did get the lion king which was great and loved how they involved the kids, The live music at night was good but some evenings a musician played a couple of songs then set his keyboard on autoplay playing terrible music for what seemed like an eternity while he went off to persue his lady friend
-the staff are all very happy even working such long hours no complaints there, we did not encounter even one miserable person all week
-the room was spacious and very clean with excellent A/C, the decor was a bit boring but who cares we were hardly in there. It had a large balcony facing the ocean which was nice.
the minibar had assorted pop and 2 cans of beer but it wasnt Presidente unfortunately
Hot water was instantaneous and there were no power outages.
-the safe malfunctioned one day but the tech came to fix it 15 minutes before his shift even started so we were very impressed.
overall we had a fantastic time and would definitely return. It was very suitable for children and the best part only 3 mosquito bites (I am usually a mosquito magnet!!!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata