Iberostar Costa Dorada
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)
Apartementos Karibic(Puerto Plata)
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
7,751 results
All reviewsstar friendsthe lion kingpepsi colaorchid gardenlobby barpaellamain buffetbrazilian restaurantjustin bieberentertainment teamdominican republiclobstera la carte restaurantsemailed the hotelkids clubtwo weeksparadise island
FilterAll languages
Long Island, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2003

It's scaring reading these reviews because you don't really know what to expect... the only thing I can say is Loosen Up! This place is an absolute bargain with good food, friendly staff, warm breezes on a delightful beach, a tremendous pool and enough beautiful sites and activities to keep you smiling all day long. We are experienced travelers and we firmly believe that this resort is worth visiting and even revisiting. The real reason I decided to write this review is because there are specific things that no one bothers to tell you, so here a few helpful hints: The dress is pretty casual however the resort has rules and they strictly adhere to them. Men be prepared to wear long pants in the 3 specialty restaurants (which are well worth trying). The buffet is casual (long shorts allowed), but no flip flops at dinner. And the clincher is that reservations need to be made for the 3 specialty restaurants and they must be made from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the guest services desk in the lobby! Also the pool closes at 7 p.m. which we found out the hard way. Recommendations: Ask for extra alcohol in the frozen drinks and plenty of ice too (Nothing stays cold for long). Experience the beautiful country side via resort sponsored tours. I agree with most that venturing into town solo is probably not a great idea, but going on the horseback mountain tour was one of the many highlights that I'll remember forever. And, if you choose to shop at the local shops on the beach don't bother to ask for prices just make an offer and be prepared to haggle! Otherwise, just sit back, relax and enjoy because this is a calming experience to be appreciated fully.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
pontefract, england
Reviewed October 5, 2003

We stayed at the iberostar costa dorada in august 2002, we loved it so much that we booked again for this year and convinced our friends to come with us. The hotel was brilliant, the food out of the world, the rooms whilst not to biggest were very clean and comfortable (but who goes on holiday to stay in their room). Yes there is seaweed in the sea and on the beach but hey believe it or not thats what you get in the sea! However the staff are busy most of the day raking it up. Our friends loved it and they have been to quite a few places over the years and they have an apartment in antigua but guess where they are going next year? Back to the iberostar with us only this time we are going for 3 weeks.

I have seen some of the other reviews about members of staff chasing the teenage girls, well i didn't see it and neither did our teenage son, however lets get real teenage girls grow up and will attract attention from the opposite sex, and i am sure that this happens all over the world not just in 1 hotel.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2003

The most hassle free check in procedure ever, leading to instant relaxation. You know this hotel is a cracker from the moment you pull up in front of it. Greeted with a fabulous refreshment, you wait a few moments beside your baggage where the porters take your room number (already known to you from the pack you get boarding your transfer coach at the aiport). You are then directed to your room - which is fantastic - and your luggage is brought to you by a porter.This is the only holiday my husband and I have ever been on where we received every single one of the special requests you make at the point of booking - we did get the ocean view, peaceful room with balcony.Pool is amazing and just loved the beach. Had a merengue lesson on the beach - even husband had a go. Great beach cabana serving most excellent drinks, coco locos and pina coladas a must.All restuarants fantastic, but be warned, the Brazilian restaurant is for carnivores!!! The margaritas in the Mexican restaurant - wow - and the mariachi band in the caribbean restuarant are brilliant. They play for each table - normally I would cringe at that but it just seems so right.I defy anyone to find a bigger or better buffet restaurant on the whole island, and Domingo the waiter is a star.This was our first all inclusive caribbean holiday and the only problem we have now is that all other holidays from now on will be held in comparison to this one.Paradise Island is a brilliant excursion, with thrilling speedboat transfers. You are very exposed there so watch you don't fry. A real desert island experience.Just go and see for yourselves.

7  Thank Kazdeedee
Akron, OH
Reviewed September 21, 2003

First Thing: Don't pay attention to any bad reviews/complaints because I believe these people would complain about anything.

The hotel was beautiful with all the birds, turtles, peacocks, flamingos around. Very tropical surroundings with the fountains, huts, and plants and flowers. Everything was very clean and looked brand new.
The room was exactly how it was pictured on the Apple Vacation site.
Very clean and roomy, nice balcony. Sounds odd to say, but the shower was very relaxing. I'm used to places with very low pressure or trickling water, but not here. Our room was trashed from all the belongings sprawled throughout the room, but the maid worked around it and even straightened up some of our things. We liked the swan formed with our bath towels and the fresh flowers to accent it. The pool was very clean with activities all day (water polo, volleyball, merengue dancing, and what they call Star games which are fun water competitions between the guests). The ocean/beach was the same with many activities.
We started the morning with aerobics and there was also volleyball, horseshoes, windsurfing, kayaking. There was seaweed in the water, which seemed to gather in certain areas. But the seaweed that washed up to shore was cleaned off every night by the crew, so I don't know why people complained that it wasn't cleaned up. It was probably more seaweed than other areas of the Caribbean, but there were plenty of areas to swim where it wasn't around. The staff was exceptional. I've never seen so much energy in my life. The same people who opened up the pool and started the activities at the beach, were in the shows and at the disco at night. Always smiling and laughing and getting to know all the guests. Probably more friendly than some people are used to, but they are all genuinely nice people. The shows were wonderful, especially the Black Light Show, I couldn't even describe it well enough to give you an idea. At the end of the shows they invite everyone on stage to dance the 2 club dances, Spanish line dancing. I still have the songs in my head!! The food was wonderful!! 24 hours a day! I am a vegetarian and never know what to expect to find, but there was plenty for me to eat. The fruits and vegetables were wonderful, and the desserts, oh the desserts! If you LOVE meat, do not miss out on the Brazilian restaurant. There are plenty of appetizers to sample from before they bring you your meal. My friend and I were cracking up laughing the whole time. The waitress comes around with all this meat on a spoke? and she cuts off a big piece for you to sample. Every 5 minutes there was a new meat brought to the table, 7 different types in all!! The other tables were laughing too, because from the menu outside you expect to pick one meal for the night, not expecting to get all 7!
Don't miss out on the tours of the city, especially the safari tour which takes you to several surrounding cities. We went out in the countryside and met a typical Dominican family and how they live, so poor. It makes you realize how much we have. And the you go swim in a stream, go for a river tour, and then boogie board on the beach (sort of a remote beach). And plenty of rum to drink the whole way, which adds to the fun.

Definitely a place not to miss! We are planning on going back next year!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 21, 2003

It was fantastic!!! The best resort ever. The food was great and there was a great variety that accommodated everyone's taste. The service was excellent, and it gives you great respect for everyone that works there. Everything was very clean. Loved the shows!!! The dancers put so much effort in bring variety, colors and great sounds. The staff was amazing. They were very friendly and genuinely tried to involve everybody to the activities that they offered. We spoke to people that vacationed in other resorts in DR and they loved this the best. I definitely give them 5 stars!!!!

4  Thank LBalba