“The time of our lives!!!!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 8, 2011

First of all I want to give an honest review, ignore all of the bad reviews! They are obviously very picky and have unrealistic ideas! From the moment we got there with welcome drinks and a very quick check in we honestly had the time of our lives! We did the dolphin trip (upgraded to the royal swim ... Totally worth the extra money) it was amazing and a dream of mine!! Paradise island on the luxury boat and we had a fab day out. A couple we met there went to paradise island on the speed boat and weren't that impressed! We went on the outback safarri which gives u an amazing insight to how people actually live in the Dominican outside of the luxury resorts we stay in! It was a real eye opener and makes u appreciate how lucky u are! We also did the buggies and got very muddy (my idea of hell but my boyfriend LOVED it) the staff were amazing, always smiling and happy to help! The food was out of this world, the buffet where we eat most nights had a fab variety and we never got sick of it! The Brazilian al a carte is a must! We moved rooms from 9017 to 3118 as I kept gettin bitten at night but the staff were happy to help! The pool was always being cleaned and the rooms were cleaned everyday!
Our rep JiJi was AMAZING!! she helped us with everythin we needed and even gave us a bottle of rum as an engagement present!
The hotel entertainment staff worked their backsides off! Even tho some of the shows got a little borin it didn't bother us as we went back to the bar to taste the cocktails :-) they were brilliant and made us feel so welcome!!
So all in all I couldn't recommend this hotel enough! We came back 2 weeks ago and are still upset we still aren't there!
Amazing hotel, amazing staff, amazing food, amazing cocktails, amazing trips ... An amazing holiday :-)
ps say hello to efrain x

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Em_heppe

Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada from April 23 - May 1, 2011. I was with a group of 13 friends (Ages 20-29) and we all had an absolutely amazing time.
Pros:
-Only a 15-20 minute bus ride from the airport
-layout of the resort is perfect, all the buildings are connected which makes navigating through them very easy. Everything is open to the outside, and the lobby is an amazing site.
- Service was top-notch, from the waiters to the entertainment team everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. If you want to book outings, talk to Elvis in the main lobby, he has a ton of information and helped us book two of our outings(ocean world and Paradise island) Unbelievable
- The resort is clean; rooms are cleaned daily and people are always working at keeping the grounds clean and tidy.
(I read a review about a green ring of dirt around the pool, I saw nothing of the sort and each day someone was cleaning the sides of the pool.)
-Bar service is great, lobby bar had greatest selection of liquors. No pool bar so I reccommend a travel mug, they have a bar right next to the pool so it was not a big issue.
-Food selection at the buffett will please anyone, each night they had a different variety of foods. (I will recommend the Brazilian a la carte)
(If you eat at the buffett sit in the middle section and look for a waiter named Francisco, he looked after us for the entire week and we could not have found a nicer more friendly person.)
- Beach: I heard complaints about seaweed everywhere on the beach, you will find seaweed but they do clean it up daily. Also there are areas where we found no seaweed and the beach was very nice.
I could go on for days about how great this resort is, it is 4.5 stars for sure.

Cons:
- Rooms are a little dated but they seem to be working on upgrading.
(Bring an extension cord as the outlets are inset in the wall and some chargers wont fit)
(Also bring a clock, the rooms do not have clocks!!!)
- The weekend we where there it was a holiday and they opened the resort to the local people, this made the pool overally crowded and it was harder to get food. This a minor complaint and It only happens on holiday weekends.
- The entertainment team was great and did there best, but some of the shows where not that great and got boring very quickly.

Overall our group had a great time and we would return to this resort in a heartbeat!
(any other questions just msg me)

Room Tip: Building 7&8 great pool view!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Leafs22
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I stayed here from April 18-22... just 4 nights. I don't know why!! I read all these reviews about people would stay here for 2 weeks+ prior to my arrival, and I didn't understand how they did it. But after just a couple days, I found myself wanting to stay for a LONG time! I had such a fantastic time. There's so much to do and see... there's always something going on. It was my first time in the Dominican and my first time at an all-inclusive. I thought the food was really good (especially Dominican Night at the buffet--I can't even tell you how many lobster tails I had!). The Brazillian a la carte was very tasty too. The staff was wonderful. I think my frequent server's name was Santos (in the big buffet). He remembered us after just one quick meal on the first time. All the other people on the team constantly had a smile on. When making their rounds to recruit people for games, they weren't too pushy and if you said no, they were fine with that. One night there was an art fair and a bunch of other local gifts available on tables in the lobby area. Every place in the hotel (and outside) took US$ and you are able to haggle your price (except the hotel's actual shops, obviously). It was beneficial to know some Spanish (especially prices) to better haggle. It turned out that some of the items that I got them down to more than half the original asking price were still cheaper in the gift shop! Oops... The beach was nice and we never had an issue finding a spot there or by the pool. If you walk to the right for maybe 5 minutes, the water and sand is a little cleaner (seaweed), but the beach right outside the resort was never gross or anything. The pool area was gorgeous and huge too. We were in building 6 with a ocean view. LOVED IT! Loved the balcony too, although not much time was spent in the room other than sleeping.

All in all, it was a great trip! I highly recommend Dominican Night at the buffet. One of my other favorites was kayaking in the ocean! I was scared at first, but it was awesome and I wanted to do it again and again (1 hour free each day). I booked an 8 hour excursion to Santiago and Jarabacoa (involved a ceramic factory with CHEAP souvenirs, horse back riding through a town, lunch, waterfall visit, cigar factory and a couple other stops at tourist points). I booked it myself through a website before going and it was so much fun. I can't wait to go back, but I still have many other Caribbean islands on my list... but don't worry! I'll be back!

One thing to be noted is that the room didn't have an alarm clock and the TV didn't seem to have the option for it to turn on at a specific time either. It's easy to lose track of time and you don't want to oversleep because there's so much to do!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank egermata
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Our previous 4 vacations in Caribbean were in Dreams Punta Cana, Riu Tequila (Mexico) Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya. I am telling this as a reference for you.
This resort, Iberostar Costa Dorada is "en verdad" excellent !
Food is as good as in Dreams Punta Cana (very good I mean!), absolutely no complains about the pool, beach, entertainment, entertainment team, maids, bartenders, grounds ... well as I said, I think it is a very good choice.
We don't go back to the same place again but if at some point we'll start to, this resort comes on the top of the list.
Go there with no worries. The extremely good reviews you see here about it are well deserved.
We traveled 4 families with 2 kids 4 years old.

3  Thank AMN_2008
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Spent the 2 week Easter break here with my husband and 9 year old daughter and loved it. Ticks all the boxes and more. We stayed in building 7 facing the gardens (ie not the pool) and were quite happy with this because it was quiet and this building is centrally located for the hotel, beach and pool. Everything worked in our room - we had no complaints.

Service in the restaurants is efficient and done with a smile - the food is excellent. All staff including the gardeners, pool cleaners and room maids work their socks off and are friendly and polite.

Our rep JiJi was lovely and extremely helpful.

We were slightly concerened at the start of the holiday because we were warned by our rep that the hotel would get very busy with locals coming in over Easter. However, although it did get more lively, the hotel just seemed to expand comfortably by, for example, putting on beach BBQs on all of the busy days in addition to what was normally available. The Dominicans keep quite late hours so we found that keeping slightly earlier hours meant there were always tables and no queues in the restaurants. We also heard that the hotel was only taking bookings for a minimum of 3 nights during this period which may be an improvement on previous years(?). In any respect the hotel was busier and a bit noisier (and only really for Good Friday and Saturday) but it hasn't put us off booking to come back for the same period next year. The Dominicans just want to have fun like the rest of us!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Iberosta Costa Dorada next year - could you get some Pimms in please?

2  Thank LynnA1968
Reviewed May 2, 2011

The best holiday ever!!!...have stayed at this hotel twice as we loved it so much, 2nd time round we took different people and loved it just as much aswell.

everything is brilliant, the food, the staff, the entertainment, day time activities.

there is plenty of variety of food and drinks. do try the al a carte resturants they are very yummy! snacks are available all day! we even found ourselves going for a burger at 4 in the morning one time! and what ever you ask for the chef will make!
the staff are sooooo friendly and will do anything for you.
always something for you to join in with if you want to if you dont want to then you are not pressured to!
the entertainment team work their backsides off and do a excellent job of it!..those who moan about it- you try working from 9am- 11pm! im sure you wouldnt be able to do it!! (dont miss the lion king show)
monster truck excursion is brilliant! as is swimming with dolphins, quite expensive though.
lovely large swimming pool..the best thing to do is to sit on the beach in the morning then after lunch move to the pool as the pool is too hot in the morning but the wind picks up in the afternoon!
when you are on the beach turn right and follow the beach and you will find the market and if you keep going the shopping mall is along there too, you have to cut through another hotel but the staff are more then happy to help you find your way!

Definatly choose this hotel!...you will not regret it!
It is also great value for money!
We are looking to go back for the 3rd time because we know we wont be disappointed!

Have a lovely time!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sophie B
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I am going to keep this review brief as many of the positive comments have been covered. Having never been to the Dominican before I was unsure what to expect but the holiday was excellent. Once again I echo the thoughts of those people to ignore the negative comments that have been made.Some people have unrealistic expectations of hotels and assume that all five star hotels are the same. Having stayed in a number of all inclusives this compared well to others in the Caribbean. The food was very good and the restaurant staff were excellent especially Robert who remembered how we took our coffee. Our daughters thought he was wonderful. The entertainment staff were also great and really gave the hotel its positive atmosphere. Our girls met loads of people their age and had an excellent time. I would definately go back and there were many people there who were on their second and third visit. This is the mark of a good hotel.

4  Thank HBennettCastleford