“Beautiful resort..... but”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We traveled May 30 - June 7. The Good : The resort is clean and nice. A great value. Not our first trip to Puerto Plata, we knew what to expect. The food was good, we were never hungry. The beach is awesome, The Bad: My husbands Red Sox hat and my Proud Army Mom shirt were stolen right out of our dresser drawers. I understand you need to place your valuables in the safe, which we had,... but our clothing ? The only people alone in our room were the maid staff. Why is the maid going through our dresser drawers ? Again, the beach is wonderful, but the locals will make you crazy, trying to sell you crap, they don't care if you say NO, they'll sit right down and pull out their wares anyway. I would probably not stay here again .....What good is a hotel that you can't safely leave your clothes in.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view, 2nd or 3rd floor
6  Thank seabrogrin
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you so much for your recent visit to Gran Ventana and your kind words about the resort. We are so sorry to hear that some of your items were taken. Please be assured we will immediately look into who was scheduled to be in your room during your stay. This is absolutely unacceptable to us! Please also do know that we are working with the local tourism board to try and come up with a solution to the beach vendor situation. We do very much hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I visited this property for 1 week June 11-18. The hotel is a solid 4* which to me means good value, clean property and I didn't starve. We had a room facing the beach that was nice, the room comfortable, the fridge didn't really keep drinks cold but no big deal. I read a lot of reviews before we left and knew the vendors on the beach seemed to be a bother to some.. when we went to the beach, yes there were vendors, but totally harmless, polite and were just trying to make a dollar! The beach was beautiful, we went for long walks almost every day and I was impressed with the beauty. We read that the VIP Catamaran tour was top notch so we went for it, and were so glad we did. We have been all over the Caribbean, Mexico, Asia...and I have to say this was the by far the best pre paid excursion. The catamaran was spotlessly clean, the crew were professional and friendly, the lunch was great...paradise island was very cute! The crew took care of everyone and took safety seriously which I appreciated since I did need to flag them down when I was out snorkeling, and was rescued, then as soon as I climbed into the boat a fellow person needed rescuing, and boom they were right there pulling the man into the boat. I was grateful they were so attentive and ensured everyone was safe! Was a long day, ended up being 12 hours total which was well worth it!!
Food - this is always a touchy subject because we all have different expectations; me..I am picky and a bit of a germaphobe.... the food is a solid mediocre, the fresh fruit was wonderful and for me the simple the better... good fresh veggies, rice and meat, what else do u need? The Italian restaurant was a nice surprise and quite good. The wine that was included wasn't my style, so ended up buying bottles every day which I only spent $22 a bottle which is fair, we were also able to take bottles/glasses back to our room so we could have a drink on our patio which was nice. We met quite a few people that raved about the property and the staff, some have returned up to 12 x!!! So that must say something...a lot of people did say the staff are like family to them which is a huge compliment. The locals did arrive on the weekend and filled the pool and restaurants very quickly...yes it was a bit of a bother, only because selfishly I really needed R&R from stress back home, so this property offers a quiet pool which became my favourite place, no problem. We also did our excursion on a weekend which ended up being a good decision since the hotel was so crowded. The entertainment was good! Entertaining!!
We visited the nightclub with a bunch of Brits we met that had been there multiple times before, we had a lot of fun, and were welcomed in by the locals, drinks were cheap and the music was great. All in all we had a fantastic vacation, rest and relaxation, sun, sand and sleep! If you're looking to be pampered and spoiled with fancy food and drinks, I suggest you look elsewhere. this is definitely a 'good' place, not the best...but a solid 4 ****!!

Room Tip: For quiet rooms ask to be near the 'quiet pool' For livelier areas ask to have view of main...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank CarolCastagna
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This year was our 13th year to the GV and we have already booked to go back next year. From the minute you arrive you are made very welcome and if you are fortunate to go back year after year you are always remembered. All the staff, far too many to mention, go out of their way to ensure you have a perfect time, nothing is too much trouble. The beach is right next to the hotel and it's just paradise. There is a wide selection of food even for those of you that are fussy eaters and the caramel flan is to die for! The Gran Ventana has a 'magic' about it that just makes you want to keep going back for more.

4  Thank ClaireAshmore
Reviewed July 5, 2014

The food great the place nice but the mall and the disco is so nasty but

We love the resort a great place nice people we love the place and we will come next year

The entertainment is really amazing Allan is great we appreciated the friendship and the honestly

Gym is not nice but is a gym we can said

But the entertaining is the solution hahaha

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have just come back from the Gran Ventana and all I can think about is going back again, the hotel is a lovely hotel right on the beach and the beach is wonderful, but the staff at this hotel are better than you will find anywhere in the world, all holiday they make you feel part of a big family, I can tell you all night about how good this hotel is but if you go onto William Ashmore Bridgnorth on Facebook you can look at photos of the place and staff. All I can say is this is a wonderful place to spend your holiday.

8  Thank WilliamAshmore
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Each time we go the service is priceless, the staff will go out of their way to do any thing for you, they will have a laugh with you talk with you and work hard as well

I'm mean we can not name them all but here are some: ( Sorry if we missed your name or spelt it wrong but you know who you are )

Maria service 100% with a great smile, Raul well what can you say about him he is so great to have a laugh with and professional too
Staff, Roberto, Antonio, Louis ( all of them ),Jackie, Johan, Franklin, Elvin,Jonas,Remiro, Aqulino
Captains, Solange, Sension, Maximo,Robin,Miguel,Carlos,Castillo,Villa we can go on with other staff Salomon, Jesus,Gomez,Jose,Nelfri,Maritiza, not forgetting the reception staff Keiran, Joan, Kelvin and Marisol and then there is Dominga, then there is the staff who do the food in the kitchens well again priceless grand job Not forgetting the big boss Helmut !!

The cleaners and gardeners who knows us by name each time we walk past and even the maids ( Luisa & Maria) who do the rooms and a good job they do, we know the rooms are basic but hey who lives in the room for the time we are away!
Maybe a few more mirrors as only one in the bathroom bit tricky if in the shower and hubby is trying to shave !!
Maybe some mats down by the bed like they used to and also more drawers in the rooms especially for us who don't where thongs those draws are Not Big enough !!
The beds on the beach need a bit more of cleaning and tightening up as they sag a lot not good for the back !

Location is great right on the beach and in easy reach of a local shopping mall and clinic ( hopefully not needed), Beach is clean and the sea is warm, yes there are beach vendors but once they get to know you even they know your name and they just stop by to say hola
Tours are good and you can buy them with your tour operator, on the beach or even in the mall
Entertainment is very good or we thought so as the Rivista Stars is a great team of professional dancers

Now dont forget the security guys who are always there if needed and any problems go right to the top and ask for Oscar Lora who is always there to listen to you and help if required

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DomRepFan4057
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

After returning home from our 4th visit to the Gran Ventana a week ago we have already planned our next trip there before the year is out!!! I travelled in a group of 6 and we had the most amazing time (as always) this hotel is great for all ages there's always something for you to do. The hotel is always kept clean, the staff are great all friendly and very helpful, Julio Martinez from reception was great, the rooms were cleaned daily to a high standard the maids work so hard. Food was great and all 3 a la carte restaurants were beautiful I recommend you book into these as soon as you can. Location of this hotel is brilliant as its right on the beach, the beach and pool are always kept clean and there's always a sun lounger available what ever time of day. As for the entertainment team these guys never stop from morning till night they have so so much energy it's unbelievable they encourage you to get involved in all their mad games and they're all so friendly, "our sister Blondie" is fab she's so lovely, hard working and just a pleasure to be around, delfy & sweetie are great to along with the rest of the team. The night time entertainment is different every night my favourite is the mangers cocktail party on a Wednesday with the live band I would love more nights like this. When the entertainment finishes on a night if you're not ready to go to bed there's a club 5 minutes down the road (club 46) it's great if you still want to have a dance there's a mixture of music and the drinks are really cheap we had many crazy nights there. All in all we had such an amazing holiday and I can't wait to return at the end of the year.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends